PDA

View Full Version : My dog eats cat food

HoRsELUvR
11-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone.I have a dog and two cats and my dog always eats the cat's food.anyone know how i can get her to not eat the cat's food and just eat hers?

stacwase
11-18-2003, 06:35 PM
My dog eats cat poop! Consider yourself lucky! hehe

The way I prevent my dogs from eating the cats' food is to feed the kitties in a high place, where the dogs can't reach. Actually, Max could probably reach it but he doesn't. Jake would snatch it if he could, though.

Kfamr
11-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Just don't let her eat it. lol

Aspen and Misty
11-18-2003, 06:47 PM
We had the same problem. So we put hte food on a counter. Even though our brat puppy still gets up on the counters and eats it :mad: It's not as bad as when on the floor.

Ashley

Shelteez2
11-18-2003, 07:10 PM
The best thing to do is to put the cat food in an area that the cats can get to but the dog can't. Cat food is not very good for dogs as it is a much higher source of protien than they are used to. Dogs getting too much protien in their diets can have health problems.

Twisterdog
11-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Put the cat food up on the counter, if your dogs can't reach the counter.

Or, put the cat food and litter box in a room, and put a baby gate up, leaving enough room for the cats to go under (or over) but the dogs cannot.

Or, put a cat door in the door to a room.

Or, put the food and litter box in the corner of a room, and put a large peice of furniture at an angle across the corner, leaving only a very small gap between the furniture and the wall ... so the cat can get in but the dog cannot.

Cats are carnivores, their bodies have evolved over eons to digest and need only meat. Dogs, however, are omnivores, like humans. Their bodies have evolved over eons to digest and need meat, vegtables, grains, etc. Just as your body would be harmed from eating only protein, so will your dogs. Kidney failure is the most common - and fatal - disease associated with too high protein levels in dogs.

So, it is crucial you find a way to keep your dogs from eating cat food on a regular basis.

lv4dogs
11-19-2003, 08:04 AM
You have been given great suggestions.
My dogs love cat food, so when I brought home this kitty a few weeks ago I was thinking of where to put her food. I do not want my cat on my counters so I have her food placed in the kitchen, my kitchen table & chairs is pushed in a corner & her bowl is in the corner under one of the chairs & table. It is kind of "wedged" between the wall & the chair leg so it can not be pushed out into the open for the dogs. Works great!

catnapper
11-19-2003, 09:26 AM
I was going to post the same question! We already put the food on the table (well, I do, but my kids don't... hence, doggy eating cat food.) But I also have the opposite problem of cats eating her dogfood... how can I keep the dog food from the cats?:p

Kona & Oreo's mom
11-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
My dog eats cat poop! Consider yourself lucky! hehe

This was my first thought, too! :eek: I agree with the others--keep the cat food up on the counter.

wolfsoul
11-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Have you tried scheduled feeding? It's better for the animal anyways. :)

amoore
11-19-2003, 10:21 AM
Put your Cat food on a table away from your dog . It is very bad for your dog . Too much protein can cause major problems !.
As for Cats eating dog food ...only put out what your dog will eat. I seperate what it should eat a day and make two meals a day for her . She eats it before the cat ever has a chance at it .
As for cat litter Sunny's litter box is the hooded type . I put it in a corner with door opening facing the corner .I place a heavy object behind it so jojo can't scoot it out . Sunny likes his privacy anyway .:)

Fox-Gal
11-19-2003, 11:44 AM
I have the same problem my dogs love cat food and the cats love dog food. My vet says that cat food is bad for dogs to much fat in it. So what I do is put the cat food on the dryer in the landry room and when I feed the dogs I put them in other room, close the door till they are done eating.

So far it works great except for with my Great Dane, he's so tall that his head comes right up to the dryer and eats the cat food, haven't figure out what to do about him yet except move the food when he's in the house.

Toby's Mommy
11-19-2003, 05:00 PM
My dog used to do that. you could put the food on somthing higher so the dog can't reach it, and your cat can jump up there.
My dog also eats horse poop.
I don't know why....

HoRsELUvR
11-22-2003, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stacwase
[B]My dog eats cat poop! Consider yourself lucky! hehe

so does my dog lol.:D Thank you for all your suggestions.

bunyfoofoo
11-23-2003, 11:28 PM
we put our cat food ont he dyer... but mi dog still gets in the bag.. lol so we hide that:D