PDA

View Full Version : Mass. outlaws ban on same sex marriages

micki76
11-18-2003, 09:24 AM
Awesome! I only wish all states would give all people the rights they deserve, after all that’s what our country is based on.

I know a man whose partner was dying from injuries sustained in a car accident and because he wasn’t ‘family’ or a spouse he couldn’t be at his bedside during his last moments alive. How sad is that?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/11/18/gay.marriage.reut/index.html

CathyBogart
11-18-2003, 09:28 AM
This is wonderful! Let's hope more follow suit....

I agree, that's so sad...I would be beyond heartbroken if I couldn't be there for Brian when he needed me...

2kitties
11-18-2003, 09:30 AM
I think that is fantastic news.

babolaypo65
11-18-2003, 09:43 AM
GREAT. Here's hoping.

ramanth
11-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Awesome! :)

Uabassoon
11-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Yay Mass! Tucson recently passed a city domestic partnership. It doesn't provide much since it's only for the city of Tucson, but it does allow partners into hospital rooms. So hopefully Arizona will be the next state to allow same sex marriages.

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 11:59 AM
wait a second...

Isn't being married the 'same sex' over and over and over again???
;)

Send your complaints to me in a PM....
That joke made ME groan....

Logan
11-18-2003, 12:11 PM
RICHARD!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

slick
11-18-2003, 02:38 PM
OK, here's my take on the subject. Love is love and knows no prejudices. If a gay couple wants to marry, why stop them??

Nothing makes me :mad: :mad: than hearing people say "it's not normal". Your normal is not the same as my normal.

I say congratulations to Mass.!!! It's about time. Let people love who they want to love.

Richard: you can have "same sex" even if you're not married :eek: :eek: Who would have thought.

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by slick

Richard: you can have "same sex" even if you're not married :eek: :eek: Who would have thought.

:p

Anyone who wants to get married should!

They should be entitled to ALL the benefits-
Health insurance, taxes, regular insurance benefits, bankruptcy,
divorce, infidelity, money problems, children, mortgages,
fights, money problems...

As much as that sounds like an off-the-cuff remark, I am serious....

everyone should have the honor....

Logan
11-18-2003, 03:14 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Oh, Richard, what will we do with you?????

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Logan

BETTER without me???

I understand the depth of the issue.

It shouldn't be a problem anywhere, generally everyone wants
to live with someone in their lives, preferably married.....

So why is the SEX of the person so important?

There are some social issues that complicate the idea of
same sex marriage, but I really and truly believe that people should MYOB....

I was always naive by thinking that same sex marriages were immune to the pitfalls of OS marriage.........

I was wrong...

Logan
11-18-2003, 03:39 PM
I am staying out of the fray of the same sex marriage issue. I see pros and cons to it and figure I'm better off keeping my thoughts to myself. But you have lightened my spirits today with your witty responses!! :)

Dogz
11-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Logan

Oh, Richard, what would we do without you?;)

I think that people should be able to be married to whoever they want.

Relentless
11-18-2003, 11:14 PM
I think people should be able to marry whoever they want, but I'm not so sure they should be able to adopt kids, my heart goes out to those who were adopted by a gay couple for they will be teased beyond anyones wild imagination by ignorant teens and biggots.

CathyBogart
11-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Actually, Relentless, I have to disagree. I've known a few people who were adopted as young'uns to gay couples and they both said that they didn't really get teased about it.

Maybe that's just my area though. I know CA is pretty open-minded.

babolaypo65
11-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Relentless
I think people should be able to marry whoever they want, but I'm not so sure they should be able to adopt kids, my heart goes out to those who were adopted by a gay couple for they will be teased beyond anyones wild imagination by ignorant teens and biggots.

They may be teased. You're right (until WE straight folks teach our kids NOT to judge), but is it then better for the kids NOT to be adopted?
Let's say it's a hard to place kid, someone older even (just to make the discussion easier), or a kid with a disability, is it BETTER for that kid to remain "in the system", in foster care, in an orphanage?

Kids get teased for lots of things. I was raised by two straight parents, didn't stop me from being teased because we were poor. I didn't have fancy new clothes, rode the bus, had to wait for pay day to get school supplies....Should poor people not be allowed to have kids?

not trying to pick on you, but not sure this argument holds water.

Relentless
11-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Actually, Relentless, I have to disagree. I've known a few people who were adopted as young'uns to gay couples and they both said that they didn't really get teased about it.

Maybe that's just my area though. I know CA is pretty open-minded.

CA is pretty open minded the small town in Washington I live in isn't and I have seen the few gays here harassed harshly.

Relentless
11-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
They may be teased. You're right (until WE straight folks teach our kids NOT to judge), but is it then better for the kids NOT to be adopted?
Let's say it's a hard to place kid, someone older even (just to make the discussion easier), or a kid with a disability, is it BETTER for that kid to remain "in the system", in foster care, in an orphanage?

Kids get teased for lots of things. I was raised by two straight parents, didn't stop me from being teased because we were poor. I didn't have fancy new clothes, rode the bus, had to wait for pay day to get school supplies....Should poor people not be allowed to have kids?

not trying to pick on you, but not sure this argument holds water.

I grew up poor too, still am, and was teased about it, but I got a job at sixteen and bought my new clothes and made myself look like the richest kid in school, see I did something about it, in this situation theres not much you can do about it.

babolaypo65
11-18-2003, 11:28 PM
so, the answer to my query is.... leave them in the system so they won't be teased?

ps, hey, you got a job. Now you can pay for the music you download!:D

Relentless
11-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
so, the answer to my query is.... leave them in the system so they won't be teased?

ps, hey, you got a job. Now you can pay for the music you download!:D

Actually I lost the job quite some time ago I'm currently unemployed and living off my roomate, shes a saint really to put up with me for so long. Yeah, I'd say leave them in to avoid getting teased, getting teased is pretty damaging, it causes disasters like Columbine.

babolaypo65
11-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Actually I lost the job quite some time ago I'm currently unemployed and living off my roomate, shes a saint really to put up with me for so long. Yeah, I'd say leave them in to avoid getting teased, getting teased is pretty damaging, it causes disasters like Columbine.

Sorry to hear about the job.

Yes, teasing causes damage. So does not having parents to love you.
good night!:)

Soledad
11-18-2003, 11:35 PM

I don't think people should not be allowed to do something because they *might* get teased. That was the argument a lot of people had years ago in regards to children of mixed races. It might be hard for the first generation, but it gets easier with time. No one benefits by living in fear.

Relentless
11-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
I don't think people should not be allowed to do something because they *might* get teased. That was the argument a lot of people had years ago in regards to children of mixed races. It might be hard for the first generation, but it gets easier with time. No one benefits by living in fear.

I'd say its more than likely they'd get teased.

CathyBogart
11-19-2003, 12:04 AM
Yes, but if it's not that, the other kids will fing *something* else to tease them about...how about the fact that they're adopted in the first place? There's always something.

I used to get teased for "looking like a boy", and now some of those same people have come back to hit on me! MUAHAHAHA!

IttyBittyKitty
11-19-2003, 06:29 AM
IT'S ABOUT TIME ...

This is a step in the right direction towards greater acceptance, so that homosexuals AND any children they adopt!!!

2kitties
11-19-2003, 08:30 AM
There are plenty of worse things to be teased about than for having two loving parents.

Uabassoon
11-19-2003, 01:31 PM
The Straight but Not Narrow group on campus has a lot of people who were raised by a gay parent or parents, they all seem pretty well adjusted to me.. actually maybe even slightly more adjusted because they were raised to be open minded and tolerant. Pretty much all kids get teased for something, I'd much rather have two loving parents regardless if they were gay or straight than have to grow up in foster care.

2kitties
11-19-2003, 01:36 PM
I like that "straight but not narrow." that's cool.

Twisterdog
11-20-2003, 01:32 AM
Isn't being married the 'same sex' over and over and over again???

Hence the reason I'm single. ;)

I think same-sex marriage is an idea whose time has more than come. Life is short. Love is hard to find. It shouldn't matter what your social standing, skin color or sexual preference is ... if you find the love of your life, then kudos to you. Most people aren't so lucky.

It would certainly be a harder life, being the adopted child of gay parents. I think where you live makes a big difference. Growing up with gay parents in San Fransisco is a whole different story from growing up with gay parents in rural Alabama, yes? However ... no one ever made us a promise that life would always be easy. Sometimes overcoming adversity as a child makes us stronger, more tolerant adults. LOTS of kids get teased. If kids decide to single out a kid and tease them, they are going to find a reason ... be it the fact that his parents are gay, his hair is curly, his mom's car is old, his skill at sports is lacking, or his math grade is high. Kids get teased, kids endure, kids grow up.

Yeah, I'd say leave them in to avoid getting teased, getting teased is pretty damaging, it causes disasters like Columbine

I hate that response. "Bullies caused the Columbine shootings" ... oh, my rear end. A mentally unstable, sociopathic teenager with a gun cause Columbine. Period. Millions of kids across the world are teased and bullied every year. Yes, it's wrong, it stinks, it should stop. But teasing and bullying alone do not make a kid get a gun and kill his fellow students. If that were the case, we'd have a "Columbine" every day, in every school. I hate the current climate in this country today ... "Boo hoo, poor me, (fill in the blank)*, so I'm not to blame for my own actions, the world owes me something."

PUUH-leese.

* fill in the blank with one of the following whines:

... my mom was mean/fat/unloving/too clingy/too harsh/too lenient/worked too much/didn't work enough/yelled at me/never yelled at me/had a life/didn't have a life

... my dad was bald/left us/worked too much/didn't work enough/spanked me/didn't spank me/drank/smoked/didn't go to church/went to church

... other kids teased me/bullied me/liked me/hated me/made fun of me/tempted me to drink/do drugs/have sex/listen to satanic music/get a tattoo/pierce my nose/

... my dog ran away/got run over/lost a dog show/won a dog show/ate too much/ate the cat/ate the hamster/ate my new shirt/had puppies on my new shirt

Rio and Me
11-20-2003, 06:43 AM
They say you cant control who you "love" so is it your fault if you love someone who happens to be your sex?
Most of the gay people ive met (my best friend is gay/he a man)
are the kindest most loving people ive EVER met!!
they say its hard to find sutable homes for children, so when a gay loving couple come up whats the problem!! they should have the same rules on adoption as "normal people"!!!
Ky and Rio

mugsy
11-20-2003, 07:27 AM
I think people who love each other should be able to be together...PERIOD. I have never understood what the big deal was if 2 gay people wanted to be married. Why not? They love each other, are committed to each other, then they should be able to reap the benefits of being married.

At the risk of offending some people, if you go to www.billoreilly.com , his poll right now (probably until tomorrow) is about the gay marriages. Not surprisingly, when I voted yes that gays should be able to marry, the results were 90% no and 10% yes, but, maybe the enlightened ones on Pet Talk could change the numbers.

wolf_Q
12-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Uuuuggggh.....we have to right an 8 page persuasive essay on a "social issue" in my English class (in groups). We were just throwing out ideas and writing them down. Well, guess what they chose? Same Sex Marriage. And guess what their stand is? Against.

Honestly before Pet Talk I would have been against. But now I feel "enlightened" ;) from seeing everyone else's views and opinions...I really don't want to write it as against....I have to have 2 pages done by tonight......help! :o

zippy-kat
12-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Uuuuggggh.....we have to right an 8 page persuasive essay on a "social issue" in my English class (in groups). We were just throwing out ideas and writing them down. Well, guess what they chose? Same Sex Marriage. And guess what their stand is? Against.

Honestly before Pet Talk I would have been against. But now I feel "enlightened" ;) from seeing everyone else's views and opinions...I really don't want to write it as against....I have to have 2 pages done by tonight......help! :o

I will so trade you that 8-pager for my 15(single spaced)!!:eek:

joycenalex
12-02-2003, 06:43 PM
[]Uuuuggggh.....we have to right an 8 page persuasive essay on a "social issue" in my English class ...Honestly before Pet Talk I would have been against. But now I feel "enlightened" ;) from seeing everyone else's views and opinions...I really don't want to write it as against....I have to have 2 pages done by tonight......help!
you might point out that in the united states, 1- that all citizens are ..."created equal..." and that the 'benefits' of one group of citizens ( i.e. marriage) cannot be denied to another group of citizens. draw a parallel with voting, both with black people and with women. 2- point out that Article4, section 2 of the american constution states "the citizens of each state will be entitled to all privileges...of citizens in the several states." californians get treated the same as ohioans. 3-point out that amendment 10 states that "the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constution, nor prohibited to the states, are reserved respectively to the people." this is the constutional right to privacy, in other words, we, as american citizens, by the great gift of being american citizens, have the right to be left alone by our government. this amendment is the basis for the right to privacy, as expressed in birth control, the ending of the legal prohibitions for interracial marriage and the decrimilization of the anti-sodomy laws. hope this helps.