PDA

View Full Version : How much languages you can speak?

EssTer
11-18-2003, 08:12 AM
I can latvian (my mother language), russian, english, german, spanish and icelandic :D

GoldenRetrLuver
11-18-2003, 08:18 AM
English, and a *little* bit of French.

slick
11-18-2003, 08:29 AM
I speak two languages fluently: English and Cat.
I can speak Dog to a certain extent.

Would love to learn to speak Bird and Rabbit.

In Spanish I know how to order two beers, and in Friench I know how to ask where the bathroom is.:D

Logan
11-18-2003, 08:30 AM
:o English, dog and sometimes cat :o

I am very impressed with your ability, Esster!!!

babolaypo65
11-18-2003, 08:34 AM
English, American Sign Language (fluently)

Spanish and French Sign Language (Enough to get by).

I've also studied a bit of Catalan Sign....

And I fully intend to be fluent at Spanish and French Sign Language soon.

Randi
11-18-2003, 08:35 AM
I speak danish, english - y estoy aprendiendo espanol. :D

Barbara
11-18-2003, 08:38 AM
German, English, French, can read newspapers in Spanish and Italian, can read schoolbooks in Latin, can order food in Greek, can introduce myself in Japanese.

Understand Tigris most of the time but don't understand Filou all the time. BTW with my husband it's more like with Filou:D

micki76
11-18-2003, 08:45 AM
English and dog fluently. I'm learning Spanish and I know a little sign language (the alphabet and some words).

I want to learn more, but it's hard for my old brain to wrap itself around a whole new language. lol

G.P.girl
11-18-2003, 08:52 AM
do ou mean fluently? i can speak hungarian and english fluently

and i leardned german for about 3 years and i'm learning spanish now. and i learned italian a long time ago.
oh yeah and i know alittle signlanguage

binka_nugget
11-18-2003, 10:10 AM
English, cantonese, mandarin, a wee bit of french and basic spanish.

Kater
11-18-2003, 10:13 AM
English is my first language but I've been studying Mandarin for 6.5 years now. I also know a fair amount of Hawaiian words but I can't construct sentences in Hawaiian.

BINKA, NI HAO! ;)

wolfsoul
11-18-2003, 10:32 AM
English and dog. :D I forgot the French I knew. I know how to sing Japanese songs though. Japanese is so easy to remember.

Uabassoon
11-18-2003, 10:32 AM
I can speak English and Spanish.

jenfer
11-18-2003, 10:51 AM
English, Cantonese, Mandarin, a little bit of Japanese and tiny bit of sign language.

dukedogsmom
11-18-2003, 11:05 AM
I'm feeling really ignorant right now. English is it. I'm super impressed with a few of you here.

micki76
11-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I'm feeling really ignorant right now. English is it. I'm super impressed with a few of you here.

You do speak dog though, right? :D

EssTer
11-18-2003, 11:18 AM
What is mandarin :confused:

wolfsoul
11-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by EssTer
What is mandarin :confused:
It's a type of chinese. And a type of orange. ;)

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 12:08 PM
english, espanol-
I understand some french, italian and read some of
each. Some Latin.

I know the language of love.:eek:

I can talk and write smack.

I know how to sign, "Get out of my way! I am late to work, you #@=*&!" and "Hey, Good Job!"

and I know how to say Hello and Goodbye in Hawaiian.....

Aloha!:rolleyes:

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-18-2003, 12:40 PM
I speak English and Afrikaans (very similar to Dutch). Also a smattering of French and a tiny bit of Arabic.

And gibberish (where you take the first letter of the word, put it at the end and add "ay" - so Pet Talk would be "etpay alktay" and my name is uliejay! You should try it - its really FUN - my kids and I speak it sometimes and we get some strange looks!!

CatDad
11-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I am in this category. I do speak a little cat and dog, however.;)

I am also impressed, by all of you. I think that it take a great deal of skill to do that. Other languages have never been a skill of mine.

I once worked with a guy who could speak 10 or 11 languages, including Mandarin. I know that he was working on another. He could also read and write in 7 of those, including madarin. I was always really impressed with him and wondered why he was working in the tech field which he was really good at. He is now working for the state department. I think that was a better fit for him.

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by CatDad
I think that it take a great deal of skill to do that.

Actually,

when you have five brothers and sister and a mom yelling at you in the mother tongue it's quite easy....

You learn the FASTER she talks it's of some importance.

She's talking FAST AND LOUD, it may be trouble.

FAST AND LOUD, looking AT YOU, is trouble.

At that point learning to listen and decode the meaning of the words is probably a good idea.

If it happens a few more times you learn the language....

Or just the key phrases like, CLOSE THE DOOR, STOP JUMPING, GET IN HERE THIS INSTANT, YOUR FATHER WILL BE HOME AT 5:30..

EssTer
11-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
It's a type of chinese. And a type of orange. ;)

At first I thought too, what a-mandarin? :DButnow I understand :)

Idid know about manadarin-orange tipe, now I“ll know both meanings :D

primabella
11-18-2003, 03:04 PM
I can speak English fluently, I do pretty well in French and I can understand Italian but can only answer back in a few words. My French should be better but I just have a terrible accent. lol

Edwina's Secretary
11-18-2003, 03:13 PM
English and Spanish....

wolfsoul
11-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
And gibberish (where you take the first letter of the word, put it at the end and add "ay" - so Pet Talk would be "etpay alktay" and my name is uliejay!
Oooh! Pig latin! Fun lol. I can do that too. :D Ymay amenay siay Ordanjay!

Dogz
11-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
and I know how to say Hello and Goodbye in Hawaiian.....

Aloha!:rolleyes:

Me too!:p
Just english.:o

popcornbird
11-18-2003, 04:06 PM
English, Urdu, Punjabi........................and a little bit of Arabic (not enough to say I know the language, but I can read/write it, and understand a considerable amount).

slleipnir
11-18-2003, 04:16 PM
English lol. I know a tad of Japanese and french though

CountryWolf07
11-18-2003, 04:21 PM
I just know English and Sign Language.

carole
11-18-2003, 04:30 PM
Gosh what a lovely bunch of talented people you all are, I only speak English, know a little Maori, and try hard at the scottish Aberdonian dialect.
:)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65
American Sign Language (fluently)

Spanish and French Sign Language (Enough to get by).

I've also studied a bit of Catalan Sign....

And I fully intend to be fluent at Spanish and French Sign Language soon.

I'm jealous. I want to learn sign language SO bad. There is an ASL child in my tutor group, I feel so bad that I can't talk to her. :(

babolaypo65
11-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
I'm jealous. I want to learn sign language SO bad. There is an ASL child in my tutor group, I feel so bad that I can't talk to her. :(

You mean a deaf child?

Aspen and Misty
11-18-2003, 06:46 PM
In my mom's day care there was little boy in a wheel chair who was Deaf. So my mom made as all learn Sign Language :D It was fun and I continue to study it today.

I know Spanish and English.

Ash

HoRsELUvR
11-18-2003, 06:48 PM
I speak English and I speak some Spanish,but i am not fluent.I used to know some ASL,but i forgot a lot of what i knew.:)

Kfamr
11-18-2003, 07:02 PM
English & I could probably cuss you out in Spanish. :o
I can also say basic everyday things like "how are you?"

babolaypo65
11-18-2003, 07:03 PM
What I love about languages is when you finally "have" to use them. I was in Spain this summer, and though it had been years, I was the only one who spoke Spanish. Now, granted, my Spanish is Mexican Spanish, but I did pretty well! I ordered food, taxis, EVEN was able to argue about the bill! I'm sure my verb tenses weren't the best but still.
A couple of years ago I visited France and our "hosts" were Deaf French folks. They didn't know ASL, or English, so French Sign Language was the only thing we had in common. I did okay all things considered!

In my work every day I use American Sign Language, all day, everyday, but it STILL amazes me from time to time that I am fluent.

I LOVE LANGUAGES!:D :D

K9karen
11-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Hebrew..."shalom" (hello).."shalom' (goodbye) "shalom" (peace)..hey it's easy! ;) I speak American English (too fast), used to understand a little but not speak Polish (especially when it was something I wasn't suppose to know about :D ) and enough Spanish to get by (without trying to conjugate verbs! Hey it's been 35 yrs!).

I am SO impressed by you all! I think it's wonderful you speak so many languages!! When I was in school (eons ago) we were only "forced" to take another language for 2-3 years in high school!

Hey! I can't even keep my colors straight...not alone SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE!! yikes!:eek: :o

Twisterdog
11-18-2003, 10:42 PM
I can latvian (my mother language), russian, english, german, spanish and icelandic

English, Urdu, Punjabi........................and a little bit of Arabic (not enough to say I know the language, but I can read/write it, and understand a considerable amount).

Wow, that's very impressive!

I speak English and French.... I know enough Spanish to get by.

popcornbird
11-19-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Wow, that's very impressive!

I guess I take it for granted then, because I don't find it impressive. :o I know this guy who knows 11 languages. Now THAT'S impressive!

English/Urdu/Punjabi..........I grew up with them.........have been hearing/speaking them since I learned to talk, so they all come naturally to me. I have a bit of an accent with Urdu and Punjabi...........well, my cousins say so. They say I sound like a confused American when I speak it (which I KNOW I do, because I keep adding an English word in every other sentence to make up for the word that flew out of my mind while I'm speaking). :o LOL! English is by far the language I'm best it, but that's obviously because its my first language, and the language I grew up with, both at home and in society. Urdu and Punjabi I got just from home, so its a bit messed up, accent-wise. :p

Arabic is the additional language that I've learned a bit. I learned to read it very young.............probably around 6-7 years old. I can't make out everything that I read though, but when we travel to the Middle East, I can read all the signs, and try to figure out what they mean. :p Its so funny how they write Burger King and McDonalds, etc. in Arabic. Makes me laugh...........cause they don't have all the *letters* we have in English, in Arabic, so the way they write *Burger King* in Arabic reads as *Burjer Kinj*. :eek: LOL

EssTer
11-19-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird

English/Urdu/Punjabi..........

What are those langauges- Urdu&Punjabi?

lynnestankard
11-19-2003, 05:56 AM
Feeling a total thicko - I speak English and Rubbish!
Oh yes and fluent Cat!
I can order beer/wine/coffee in Spanish and French! (Only I get them mixed up and transpose - causes much amusement!)

I'm totally impressed with everyone - especially Esster who started the thread. Your grasp is amazing. - Urdu and Punjabi are Indian languages.

Lynne

11-19-2003, 09:09 AM
I speak Dutch, French, English, German and quite a few Dutch dialects.

EssTer
11-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Thanx Lynnestankard!

Ooh, itęs very intresting, to know indian languages :D

popcornbird
11-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Urdu and Punjabi are Indian languages.

Yep. Indian/Pakistani languages. Urdu is actually Pakistani........and in India, its Hindi, but I honestly think they're very close because I can understand everything any Indian says. :p And Punjabi.............both India and Pakistan have several provinces, and each province has its own language.........so for the area my parents were born in, that would be Punjabi. Its spoken in both India and Pakistan, in the province Punjab.