PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...!!! We're getting #10

mugsy
07-17-2001, 10:23 AM
Hi to all who have kept up with the continuing saga of our family. I called yesterday to a rescue in NYC called Bobbi and the Strays about a Weim pup she had and ended up talking to her for about 1/2 an hour and found out she had a 7 month old pup that was going to be put down today and everyone was really sad. Well...the rest is history, Mike and I are such suckers for dogs in need we said we would take her sight unseen. Her name is Jessie and weighs in at 25 pounds and all I know is that she is leggy with a long nose and has a white patch on her chest and the rest of her is tan. She is shipping her out tomorrow (Wednesday) and she will be here at 10:30 tomorrow night. I guess she is scared to death and isn't eating because she is in a cage at the vet's office, so it sounds like we will have our hands full for a couple of weeks. Wish us luck!!

Stenograsaurus
07-17-2001, 11:32 AM
Hooray for you!!! Since I haven't been keeping up, fill me in on what animals you have now and who all are rescues? God bless you and your husband.

jackiesdaisy1935
07-17-2001, 01:09 PM
Good luck to you and your new baby, I love happy endings. :) :) :)

mugsy
07-17-2001, 01:12 PM
Ok...you asked for it!!!!
1. Sox, female, GSD/Aussie mix, 3yrs old, only one from a litter, but 4 out of 6 pups from the litter died from worms, so we still call her a rescue

2. Tigger, male, Pit/Husky mix, 2.5 yrs old, brought to my husband's place of employment when he was 8 weeks old and the guy announced to everyone there that if someone didn't take the pup he was going to take it home and shoot it.

3. Jasmine aka Jazzy, female, Great Dane, 2 yrs old, got her from the local humane shelter at 3 months. Someone had shoved her into the after hours receptacle.

4. Shawna, female, Aussie, approx. 4 yrs old, got her a week later from the humane shelter. Someone had ripped off her tags and dumped her and she was picked up as a stray and had been at the shelter for almost a month and her time was near.

5. George, male, hound mix (possible Ridgeback mix), 1 yr old, he was dumped in our neighbors' yard and they had a dog aggressive dog and could not keep him.

6. Serenity, female, Boxer/Pit mix, 1.5 yrs old, she had been at the SPCA for almost a year and the staff had given up hope of ever finding her a home, figured she would be there her whole life.

7. Billy, male, Beagle, 2.5 yrs old, we got him from our neighbor who was going to dump him in the woods because he was blind in one eye (we had to have the eye removed because of glaucoma, cataracts, lens had exploded). The guy is a moron!

8. DeeDee, female,Border Collie mix, 10 months (approximately), she came from the Animal Welfare League in a town just west of here. She had been there from almost 3 months and was close to being put down.

9. Vonney, male, Chow mix (possibly mixed with Aussie), 1.5 yrs old, he also came from the Animal Welfare League and was scheduled to be put down on a Monday and I called on the Saturday before and told them that the local SPCA had agreed to take him if we fostered him and the rest is history!

Then of course 10. Jessie, female, ???? mix (I've never seen her or a picture), 7 months old, was going to be put down today if we hadn't taken her...I'm excited, I can't wait to see her!

Everyone else on this list is probably groaning at having to hear about my other 9 again!! lol Thanks for asking!

aly
07-17-2001, 05:31 PM
Wow I'd love to visit your house!! :D

You're GREAT for saving Jessie's life and she will be so grateful to have such a wonderful mommy!

tatsxxx11
07-17-2001, 05:40 PM
Just incredible. One day, a beautiful, frightened and lonely soul is slated for death. Then, thanks to incredible kindness of people such as yourself and your husband, instead of sadness, only joy!!!!! I can't wait to hear about the "first day!" :) Thank you and bless you for opening your hearts and home to these needy creatures. Sandra

Logan
07-17-2001, 06:04 PM
Three cheers for Mugsy!!! What great people you and your husband are!! :D

shipugtzus
07-17-2001, 08:02 PM
That is the sort of story i like to hear,you and your husband are very special people.The babes you have are very lucky to have you.To bad there arn't more people like you in this world...Sandy.It is also nice to know there are others who have as many as I do.My seven seem like a lot,,,Lols..Sandy

Sudilar
07-17-2001, 09:56 PM
You two are wonderful people!!! I admire your compassion for those at death's door. You just snatch them up and give them the best life that they can possibly get. You are heroes!! :) Thank you for saving all those lives.
Sue

Angels3
07-17-2001, 10:05 PM
Mugsy, you & your husband are the most wonderful people...& your 9 babies (now 10) are so precious. You make up for so much of the inhumanity towards animals. You inspire the rest of us to love & save the dogs who've been failed by people.
Please keep telling us about your 10 babies...I'll never get tired of hearing about you & your very special pets.

ownerof3dogs
07-17-2001, 11:06 PM
You have a whole kennel at your house. There's probably never a dull momment :D

Daisy's Mom
07-18-2001, 01:03 AM
Thank you for saving another life, Mugsy! You are such a great person! You'll have to keep us posted on Jessica's entrance into your family :)

Stenograsaurus
07-18-2001, 08:10 AM
Mugsy, I would love to visit your house!!! I'll bet there is never a dull moment. Kudos to you and your husband for all you do!!

Corinna
07-18-2001, 09:51 AM
Mugsy, you sound like me, I guess thats why my hubby keeps me in town ,now I was nuts when we lived on 5 acres,42 rabbits 4 dogs 3 cats, and a horse. When we moved to Montana I could only bring 2 rabbits 2 cats and 1 chinchilla (oops I had 5 of them too) it was had but found homes for everyone but 3 of the dogs. one had cancer and 2 had been abused and just couldn't be retrained except to trust me so I had to do the most hard thing I've ever done and have them all put down.
Ever one else sends me postcards at the holidays, helps a little that they are bringing joy to so many of my old friends.

mugsy
07-19-2001, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys for all your support. I talked to Bobbi last night and now the woman who owns Jessie is hedging her bet and may keep her, however, Bobbi has 2 other dogs that are, as she puts it, on death row, so we may take one of them...probably the pit mix pup...I had my heart set on Jessie, but as long as she is happy, I'll be happy and I guess she was very attached to the woman who felt that she had to give her up. In 3 days the poor thing lost 5 pounds because she refused to eat or drink, but she's back with the woman now until she makes a command decision and Bobbi said she was just thrilled to see the woman and was jumping around and playing again instead of huddling in the back of a cage. If she decides to give her up she will be flown from Newark, NJ to Fort Wayne,IN by way of Kitty Hawk Cargo (which is where a friend of mine works) and I will be picking her up between 1am and 5 am depending on how well Paula sucks up!!! lol

mugsy
07-19-2001, 01:29 PM
Oh I forgot...Steno, you are welcome anytime you want to come out. I forget where Altoona is but I think it's east if I'm not mistaken. I can tell you it's about 7 hours from Beaver Falls,PA to Fort Wayne!! lol I think it would be soooo much fun to have a get together with all of our poochies!!! WOW can you imagine the mayhem? hehehe

aly
07-21-2001, 08:00 AM
Mugsy, sorry you didn't get Jessie but I just know there is a dog out there somewhere feeling so lonely that is just waiting for you :)

mugsy
08-03-2001, 03:07 PM
Ok, sorry it's been so long since I've updated you guys. We did get a dog from NYC, however, it wasn't Jessie. The woman decided to keep her as of right now. We did get a 9 year old shepard/lab mix named Dudley. Poor guy...he's 46 pounds overweight (he's on a diet and seems to have lost weight already), has mange (not the contagious kind), and is badly arthritic in his left rear hip. He has attached himself firmly to my husband which the former owner is astounded by because she said he always ran away from men before. The poor thing was petrified when I went to Kitty Hawk to pick him up because they just put him down in his crate in the middle of all the action. Needless to say, I was NOT a happy camper and called the management and let them know exactly how I felt. If anything new comes up with Jessie or even possibly Smokey (he's the little shepard mix on the top of Bobbi's webpage). Oh in case anyone is interested, bobbi's web page addy is: http://web1.petfinder.org/shelters/NY27.html and Smokey's picture is there but not Jessie's. There you have the most current update on the Kendall's brood!

Daisy's Mom
08-03-2001, 11:36 PM
Oh poor Dudley! I am sure he is living in the lao of luxury now, though! You are such a wonderful person to save all these poor dogs. I'd love to see a pictur of the family, if you can ever get them in one place!!! ;)

08-06-2001, 02:50 PM
Mugsy, you are my hero. What an amazing human being you are and your sweet husband. You are partners in the save-a-life-campaign. I just adore you both for it.

I too would love to visit your house.. but I am a little more that 7 hours away :D! I commend you for your efforts and there will be a very VERY special place at Rainbow Bridge for all of you someday. Thank you so much for all you do - those animals are very lucky to have crossed your path. I wish I had the room to do this sort of thing because I would have a housefull JUST LIKE YOU!!!

In fact, there are two little dogs that belong to my neighbor that I would love to find good homes for. She is an elderly lady and the dogs keep getting out. I was very very upset about it until I talked with her. Now I feel bad because she can't chase them down. So, I told to come get me right away when they get out so I can retrieve them for her. She is trying to find a home for them so I told her I would help. Wish I could take them in myself. They are very old little dogs and so sweet.

Anyway, my love to you and your entire family - thanks for all you do :)
~God Bless you~

wolflady
08-06-2001, 03:12 PM
Wow!! :eek: Lots of hugs to Mugsy and clan!! What a wonderful person you and your husband are!! Any tips on how to convert my husband into a dog lover??? LOL :D If it were up to me, I would love to have a fur family like yours!! I agree, there must never be a dull moment in your household!! I'd love to visit too! LOL Hey, Ft. Wayne is only a short 3 hour drive from my original hometown of Columbus, Indiana, so I may have to drop in sometime when I go home to see my family!! LOL LOL LOL

Lots of hugs to you and your kids! What a neat story! We'd all love to hear anicdotes about your babies!!

Angels3
08-06-2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by mugsy:
<STRONG> He has attached himself firmly to my husband which the former owner is astounded by because she said he always ran away from men before. </STRONG>

Mugsy, I'd say that Dudley is a good judge of character! You & your husband are my heroes, too. Wish I lived next door to you!
Best wishes with your lovely pet family. I look forward to hearing your news & updates.
:)

jackiesdaisy1935
08-06-2001, 09:14 PM
Mugsy, because of people like you and your husband many dogs are being given a new lease on life. I admire all the work you do in taking on all that responsibility and giving out all that love. You are very special people with a very special family.
Jackie :)

Gio
08-07-2001, 08:14 AM
I'm full of admiration for you and your husband and a little envious too :D

If only I had more space or even better if I didn't have to live in an apartment I would adopt some more myself.

ramanth
08-07-2001, 10:45 AM
WOW! Why didn't I know about Petfinder.com before!?!? I sadly don't have the money to have an animal shipped to me from another state but I see there are so many in my own home state that want homes!

I wish I could take them all.

Mugsy, you are a true inspiration.

Kim S.

mugsy
08-08-2001, 02:04 PM
You guys are so good for my ego!! LOL And all of you are welcome at our home any time you care to come over. Mike loves to cook too so you won't go hungry!! Hmmm....tips for husband conversion...I don't know because Mike is as big of an animal lover as I am and when I find one and bring it home I always know he'll have a name for it before I do!! lol My philosophy is tell the husband either he goes with it or well...maybe not that drastic! hehehe That website of Bobbi's is where we ended up getting Dudley. Now we're possibly getting Smokey who is on her list and he's the little guy with the broken leg. He gets the pins out in a couple of weeks. I know that Bobbi was willing to pay shipping costs if we would take the dog. The lady that gave us Dudley paid for shipping and sent us food, treats, a suitcase, a crate, and $150 so it's not all that expensive. I wish I could save them all. Mike and I eventually want to have a rescue of our own...sort of like Bobbi's. Thanks again for the pats on the back...they're good to have once in a while when you have nasty neighbors like ours. Oh by the way...Serenity discovered the hose yesterday and jumps about 4 feet off the ground to get the spray...it's REALLY funny to watch.

mugsy
09-09-2001, 08:20 PM
Ok....just another update...we now have 11 dogs. Our latest addition is a 9 month old Pharoah Hound/Lab mix (we think) and her name is Sophie. She is a sweetie, but she is afraid of almost everyone except me!! She is warming up to Mike, slowly.

ilovehounds
09-09-2001, 09:12 PM
Hey a fellow hound owner :D I didn't know that.

You are an Angel, I can't imagine what I would do with ten dogs :) But if 8 hounds were in need of a home Im sure I would find a way to handle it :D

An Angel you are an Angel !!!!!

P.S. I want to see pics of the new baby :)

JAQ
09-09-2001, 09:26 PM
Mugsy what can I say as words seem so inadequate for what you do for these dogs! You and your husband are exceptional people and a godsend to the animals!!! If the world only had more people like you....

aly
09-09-2001, 09:31 PM
Congrats mugsy! I wish I had 11 dogs!! All your pups are so lucky to have you as their mommy. I always think about you when I see unwanted dogs at the shelter here. Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be ringing your doorbell every other day to play with your zoo :D :D :D

mugsy
09-10-2001, 08:21 PM
you know me so well and we haven't even met!! hehehe I would take them all if I could. Thanks Julie, you're no slouch yourself! I am certain that we are done now, but I wish I could have lots more without damaging the ones we already have. Now it's time to think about the ones we have now. :)

Daisy's Mom
09-11-2001, 07:58 PM
What an agnel you are, really! Wow, 11 dogs! I am jealous! :)

mugsy
09-12-2001, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all your support. ILoveHounds...we have 2 hound mixes. George is some sort of a coonhound or ridgeback mix. He is a beauty!! All of our dogs are really pretty and as soon as I can scan or use digital camera I will get pictures of them so everyone can see them.