PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in selecting a X-mas gift.

jenluckenbach
11-17-2003, 06:59 PM
I have been going to a new vet since June this year who is the best. She works with my guys as well as the rescue fosters. She has been so super generous with her pricing on my gang (and of course the fosters) that I MUST do something for her at Christmas. But what do you get for someone that you do not know all that well that is both thoughtful AND appropriate?

Please post your ideas here and do not let cost interfere with your answer. She has probably save me hundreds in the past 5 months alone.

Thank you for your thoughts.

slick
11-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Every year at Christmas I give my vet a big basket containing fruit, cheeses, crackers, etc. I don't know him well enough to give a personal gift so this seems to suffice. Besides, I think he shares it with the staff which is OK with me because the staff are just as nice.

CatDad
11-17-2003, 07:14 PM
I have an idea, but don't know if it is exactly what you are looking for.

A while ago I wanted to thank my vet and the entire office for all of the help and support that they gave me with my RB Flicka. So, I got a big bouquet of cookies. All of the cookies were in animal shape, it was really cute. It came in a basket and all of the cookies are baked onto a stick. So it looks like a bouquet. It went over big at there office.

Like I said don't know if it would work for your situation.

If you are interested I am pretty sure that I can find it on the web, or I can even stop in at the store that I ordered them at and see if they have a web site or a store in your area.

Let me know if you would like me to check on it.:)

jenluckenbach
11-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Slick, your idea was my first idea, and the one I will probably go with if another idea does not appear. But I know that offices like that often get more than their fair share of items like this (we even do at the grooming shop) and so I thought I wanted to be different.
Bryan, if there is a website I would love to see it. I might be able to use this idea elsewhere if not at the vet's.

Thanks.

G.P.girl
11-17-2003, 07:45 PM
i'm thinking....it may take a day or two but i'll bethinking about it. there's something thats on the tip of my tounge but i can't remember:mad: oh well i'm sure it'll come to me sometime

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-18-2003, 02:41 AM
Maybe a little bit too personal, but when our sanctuary manager left, I bought her a Swarovski crystal Dog and Cat. She loved them (we both ended up crying):rolleyes:

Do you specifically want something that can be shared amongst the other staff? If not, maybe you could discretely enquire what her hobbies / interests are. (I always think it's nice when a person can tell that a gift has been bought with a lot of thought behind it).

JMHO

Randi
11-18-2003, 03:16 AM
Jen, how about some homemade chocolade truffles, they usually go down well. You could even shape them as cats - if you have LOTS of time. ;) The recipe is on recipe thread. ;)

Originally posted by G.P.girl
i'm thinking....it may take a day or two but i'll bethinking about it. there's something thats on the tip of my tounge but i can't remember:mad: oh well i'm sure it'll come to me sometime
LOL! :D I can't help laughing, but this reminds me of Bubbles from "Absolutely Fabulous" :D Do you know it?

lynnestankard
11-18-2003, 06:10 AM
LOL Randi - I just adore that character - she only has to appear on screen and I laugh!

Jen - Slick's idea was a goody - if you wanted to add something personal for the vet - how about a beautiful flowering plant. She could leave it at the office or take it home, whichever she chose to do.

Lynne

Rachel
11-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Here are a few ideas.

http://www.allheart.com/vetgifts.html
http://www.allheart.com/vm82603.html

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-18-2003, 11:36 AM
You could also get her a gift certificate from a nice restaraunt in town. In my experience restaraunt gift certificates always get used, and are usually appreciated because it gives the person a chance to go to a place that they normally might not go. But this, of course, would only be for the vet and it would be hard to share that with the entire office, so it depends on if you want something just for her or for the whole office.

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 04:32 PM
How's about a swiss army knife?

I have given many to people (teachers, bosses, friends)
and have ALWAYS been told of stories about how they
'saved my life'...

It's a gift that is always handy, gets used more than you think and you'll ALWAYS hear a story about how it was used to get a person out of a jam.......It's a real trip to see people get excited
when they tell you the story......

tomkatzid
11-19-2003, 01:02 AM
CatDad(Bryan) That cookie thing sounds great, where did you get it? I am always looking for something unique and animal related for gifts;).........tom

CatDad
11-19-2003, 02:03 AM
Hey Tom,

I guess I should have posted the company and web address instead of sending it just to Jen.:o

I am not quite sure where I go the idea. I probably knew someone who got one and thought it was cool.

Anyway, the information:
Cookies By Design
Website is:
http://www.cookiesbydesign.com/ (http://www.cookiesbydesign.com/ )

I went to them because I found one of there stores in Bellevue, but I think that they have one closer to you in Tacoma.

Anyway, you can order from the website or the store.