PDA

View Full Version : How to stop biteing nails?

Tweety_Pie
11-17-2003, 05:39 PM
how annoying:rolleyes:, I cannot stop biteing my nails. Does any one know how to stop biteing your nails? Like what worked for you lol

(oh lol and not the nails that you use to build things etc LOL)

Thanks

:)Kelsey:)

green_chameleon_girl
11-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Put an elastic on your hand and everytime you take a snap at those buggers flick yourdelf!:D It would for me *flashes nails*... Or get a really sick drink like egg nog and everytime you bite them take a sip of the sickest thing in the world!:D you could of just walked over to my room and asked kelsey;) :rolleyes:

Dogz
11-17-2003, 05:44 PM
I like this thread, I also want to know.;)

Tweety_Pie
11-17-2003, 05:57 PM
bump

popcornbird
11-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Put some hot hot hot hot hot pepper sauce on your fingers. Every time you try to bite your nails, it will burn your tongue. ;) Enjoy. :p

LOL LOL LOL

bluekat
11-17-2003, 06:01 PM
lol, I used to be a nail biter;) My mom bought this thing for me to put on my nails. Whenever you try to bite them, you get a really bitter taste. It actually worked!:D I'm so happy I got out of that habit.

btw, the thing is like clear nail polish. Its from Sally Hansen.
or I guess you could also try to put on nail polish. It stops me from biting.:p

Tweety_Pie
11-17-2003, 06:01 PM
lol PCB (if i only had hot pepper sauce)

Tweety_Pie
11-17-2003, 06:03 PM
*bluekat*

ohhhh so you know what it is called? I should buy it!

Miss Meow
11-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Think of all the bacteria and dirt under your fingernails when you go to bite them. More than 90% of the bacteria on your hands is found under your nails :)

bluekat
11-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Its from Sally Hansen:) lol, that brand has alot of stuff to do with your nails.:p

binka_nugget
11-17-2003, 06:14 PM
ohh I'm a major nail biter. I've tried the nailpolish thing. It did NOT stop me. I'd just spit the nail polish out after. The bitter tasting stuff didn't work either, I was too focused on biting them. :o

I've noticed that when I'm busy, I don't bite my nails. When I went camping for a week, my nails were long after the trip because I was having too much fun. I find myself biting my nails in math class but leaving them during choir and piano...hmmm odd eh? I guess for me, boredom provokes me.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-17-2003, 06:17 PM
What worked for me? Getting braces. :p Seriously, I CAN'T bite my nails even if I wanted too. So, my habit is broken. ;)

bluekat
11-17-2003, 06:22 PM
When I got braces, they told me to "not bite anything hard including your nails!" lol :p
It is a very hard habit to break though. I find myself biting when I'm in a rush or nervous about something. and also boredom.;)

Amber
11-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Yikes!! Im a ver very major major nail biter!! I bite my nails like 24/7!! Ive tried and tried to stop. I ve tried the nail polish stuff..Nothing is working for me. When I get my braces soon hopefully it will stop! *Wonders what it's like to have *long* nails* ;)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-17-2003, 06:52 PM
My nails are long now LOL. :p Before they just used to be little stubs, and now they're not. Maybe that's one reason why I like braces...

binka_nugget
11-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Hey Julie, nice sig! ;) LOL

Anywho, braces didn't work for me. If I'm determined, nothing will stop me.

G.P.girl
11-17-2003, 07:53 PM
this really works! take a habenero pepper, cut it in half, then push the ends of your fingers in to it for about 10 seconds. then next time you go to bite your nails it will be "unpleasent" so to speak:p

Logan
11-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Have some wonderful man give you a beautiful engagement ring that you want to show off to everyone, but you're embarassed because your nails look so bad! That'll fix it every time!!! ;)

That's what happened to me!! Ha Ha!! :)

But in reality, when I have tried in the past to stop, I had to use some of the special polishes or liquids that taste really, really bad to make me quit.

I wish you luck! :) I also found that filing them every day to keep the edges smooth and keeping a coat of clear polish on them helped me to keep from wanting to pick at them too. It is a nasty, but very common habit. I was furious with myself when I did it, and in pain a great deal of the time because of the hangnails and the sore fingernail bed.

moosmom
11-18-2003, 12:19 AM
I used to bite my nails years ago. At that time they had something called "Nail-A-Cure". It was nail polish that you put on and it tasted absolutely AWFUL. But it worked. It was taken off the market. I called the manufacturer and they said they discontinued it. :( they do have something else by Sally Hansen that also helps.

Good luck.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-18-2003, 05:07 AM
How about getting an overlay put on your nails so you cant bite them - then your real nails will have a chance to grow underneath. Once the habit is broken you will probably not go back to it. I bit my nails at school for a while, then I stopped (with the nasty stuff you paint on) - now even if my nail breaks I can't stand to bite ot!!

Edwina's Secretary
11-18-2003, 08:14 AM
I bit my nails until they bled! Then when I was in college I had a roommate who was...well let's say incompetent but she had beautiful nails. I decided to quit. I put nail polish on which I hated tasting. So in addition to the bad tasting stuff...maybe a competition with a friend!

2kitties
11-18-2003, 08:59 AM
I bit mine terribly. I swear I bit them in the womb. I tried all the icky tasting things- bit right through them.

Basically, one day I decided I was ashamed of them, embarrased and too darn old to have hands like that. So I stopped. I kept clear polish on them and carried around a soft file and buffer. When I felt a hangnail, I filed it and repainted. The first two weeks are the toughest. But once they start growing in, it gets easier. Also, I found that having a manicure- even on the nasty stubs, pushed back my cuticals and motivated me. If you can get a manicure, try it. The technicians deal with biters all the time adn can help you feel better about your hands. That's the trick.

trayi52
11-18-2003, 10:59 AM
2kitties
I done the nail file and the buffer thing too, it helped for awhile. Its just that I have very weak nails. Maybe because I don't drink milk? I hate milk!!! This reminds me of when I was trying to get my son to stop sucking his thumb, I tried everything, he sucked it so much he had a mark on his thumb. I can't remember what I done, but I finally broke him from it. Hey I even tried the hot sauce thing, now he loves stuff that is hot, you know like chili, LOL. He is 31 now and don't such his thumb anymore. (at least I don't think he does) LOL. :) :D ;)

amoore
11-18-2003, 11:17 AM
I hate to tell this, but I do that to . The only thing that worked for me was that nail bitter stuff . why did they take it off the market ? So i dont know the answer on how to stop .:(

Logan
11-18-2003, 11:30 AM
I went to www.askjeeves.com and asked about "Nail Biting Solutions".

Here are some links I found:

http://www.stoppicking.com/

http://www.whatshebuys.com/90312.html

http://www.stopbitingnails.com/

Who knows? Maybe this will help. I also saw a lot of articles (thousands of them), some of them menitioning hypnosis and all sorts of other stuff! :eek:

I stand by my original suggestion.......having a pretty piece of jewelry that you want to show off!!! :)

green_chameleon_girl
11-18-2003, 02:59 PM
I want to see your nails. I will post mine too:D

Logan
11-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by green_chameleon_girl
I want to see your nails. I will post mine too:D

You don't want to see mine. :o I'm so good at dishing out advice, but I must admit that two days before my wedding, I went and had acrylic nails put on, and I did that for 9 more months. My family didn't want me to stop because I gave the best back scratches with those nails!!! LOL!! Well, about a month ago, I decided to give them up. The bi-weekly trips to the nail salon and the expense were just too much. So I'm in the "growing" out period, which is very, very ugly. My nails are so weak, and as soon as you see a little white edge, it peels off. I am nearing hte end, though. We'll see how well I do after that and then I'll gladly post a picture of my nails.

Logan

green_chameleon_girl
11-18-2003, 04:19 PM
lol!! Im getting a picture of mine lol

carole
11-18-2003, 04:24 PM
I confess to being a nail biter, I started this dreadful habit when I was around ten yrs old, my girlfriend used to do it, guess I must have copied her, I have never found the perfect cure, tried all those nail-biting bitter nail polish etc etc, I think pure will-power is the only way.

I go through periods where I Can grow my nails and they get quite long, for instance I grew them for my niece's wedding in Feb this year, but you should see them now, I am going through a particular bad stage again of biting them real bad, my son also bites his, my daughter does not, and has glorious long nails.

I believe it changes the shape of your nails forever, when I can grow them long, they are very small, and have a lot of white nail

I wish I had the magic cure, because I HATE that I bite my fingernails, I feel quite disgusted in myself that I still do this at my age. HELP!!!!!!

popcornbird
11-18-2003, 04:26 PM
I *used to* bite my nails..........not exactly a habit in that I couldn't control it........but sometimes, I used to have a sudden urge to bite my nails. That was waaaaaaaaaay back when I was a little girl. Haven't done that in over a decade. :p My major habit as a child was sucking on my pillow. :rolleyes: My mom tells me I had this major obsession with this one pillow of mine as a toddler. I had it with me ALL the time........holding it, with the corner of the pillow AND my thumb in my mouth. :rolleyes: My mom just could NOT make me stop. She couldn't wash my pillow because I wouldn't let go of it! I would cry if I didn't have my pillow for one second. I would take it shopping, to the park, to the homes of friends....EVERYWHERE! Since I didn't let my mom wash it, it was dirty, and stinky, and full of germs.............so one day, I woke up in the morning, and my pillow was GONE! :eek: Ohhhhh how I cried that day! My mom told me she threw the pillow away, and the garbage man came with his truck and took it away.......and I would never see it again. :o :o Poor me. I cried and cried and cried..........but hey, it put an end to my bad habit! :D Guess it was worth the torture. :p I don't remember this since I was just 2 or 3 at the time, but this is what my mom told me. How dumb children can be! :D

(Maybe you can throw your nails away to get rid of the habit? NOT! :D) LOL

bluekat
11-18-2003, 04:53 PM
lol, so many of you are nail biters:p I agree, its still pretty tempting for me if a part of my nail is breaking or whatever to just bite it off. But I'm glad that I have long nails now. Since summer, I have had on nail polish and never given my nails a break, lol. I have them off occasionally for about a few days, then I put more nail polish on. LOL, I love having nail polish now, and I love how my nails are short anymore!:D

HoRsELUvR
11-18-2003, 06:43 PM
I bite my nails sometimes,but mostly i play with them and squish them which makes them break,lol.I put stuff on my nails that makes it harder for them to break but then it wears off and i end up tearing my nails off again.

amoore
11-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Im a gardener and do lots of it, I wear my fingernails down and break them . So if i didn't bite them they would still be short . But it would be nice if the habit didn't hit me when i watch tv at night .One night i was sitting watching tv and started biting my nails and tiny decided to help me . LOL Made me stop because it was so funny ! Tiny may get me out of that habit after all.:p

trayi52
11-18-2003, 08:46 PM
How funny, she is going to take your habit away from you.:D . I guess I need a Tiny to help me break the habit. Okay everybody I admit it, I CHEW my nails. I have ever since I was just a kid, my daddy done it too, and so does my sister. We take after our dad.Everytime I try to grow them out they just start to split and I start chewing them. If I put polish on them I really have a good time chewing the nail polish off. I guess its better to chew the nail polish off than the nails. Ugh, I have ugly fingers anyway.:( :confused: :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-18-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm a HORRIBLE nail biter. The photographer in second grade wouldn't let me have my hands up cuz my nails were so bad... lol... but anyway, I'm liking these suggestions. The Habenero is OUT of the question. It would stop me, but NO! I hate habeneros. They BURN!!! It's TERRIBLE! I'm trying to stop. Anne yells at me because they are too short... :p

bluekat
11-19-2003, 04:05 PM
lol, I forgot to tell you guys this. before I got Blueberry, my mom told me that we could get a cat only if I don't bite my nails. and Guess what? I didn't for a while...and after we got Blueberry I just couldn't help myself:( My mom got upset, and so we tried the nail polish and the nail biter things. :p

green_chameleon_girl
11-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Starting right now Im not gonna bite my nails

bluekat
11-20-2003, 04:06 PM
lol, I always used to say that to myself. I kept on saying that, and it never worked for me.:p

trayi52
11-20-2003, 04:19 PM
I just want to ask one thing, why do we do this? What makes us bite our nails anyway?:confused: :D

bluekat
11-20-2003, 04:50 PM
I really don't remember how I started biting my nails. I guess that I just started one day and couldn't help myself:p

trayi52
11-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Do we worry a lot? or is it just fun? Gee I wish I knew.:confused: :)

amoore
11-21-2003, 07:57 AM
I know what usually starts me bitting my nails is certain types of movies , and people that likes to argue for fun ,heh,heh,heh. Study the times your doing this and what is going on when you start it . Then you maybe can avoid biting your nails . Another thing is to keep hands doing something like writing in pettalk (but don't get on controversial subjects heh,heh,heh,). Take up crafts ,or gardening . oh yes ! and get a dog like tiny . LOL! :D