PDA

View Full Version : Weird email, has anyone gotten it?

Dogz
11-17-2003, 04:22 PM
I just recieved this email, and it read:

Dear Hotmail User,

Because of the sudden rush of people signing up to

Hotmail,it has come to our attention that we are vastly

running

out of resources. So, within a month's time, anyone who

does not

receive this email with the exact subject heading, will be

deleted off our server.Please forward this email so that

we know

you are still using this account.

WARNING WARNING

We want to find out which users are actually using their

Hotmail

accounts. So if you are using your account, please pass

this

e-mail to every Hotmail user that you can and if you do

not pass

this letter to anyone we will delete your account.

From Mr. Jon Henerd

Hotmail Admin. Dept.

Our hotmail system is getting to crowded!! We need you to forward this to at least 20 people. I know this seems like a large number, but we need to find out who is really using their account. If you do not send this to at least 10 Hotmail members, we will delete your account. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Sincerely, Director of Hotmail Services

Aaron Lopez

Please do this! Some of my friends have already gotten deleted and you aren't allowed to send it back to the person who sent this email to you!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bluekat
11-17-2003, 04:25 PM
omg, I'm just checking my email now, and I got it!!:(:(:( Aww, is it really true? It's weird, I don't know if I believe it. But I forwarded it to some people anyways.

iceyshiver21
11-17-2003, 04:27 PM
I didnt get it.

Dogz
11-17-2003, 04:32 PM
I am wondering if it is true too.:confused: I forwarded it too, just in case.

Tweety_Pie
11-17-2003, 04:35 PM
it's a scam...i have got that email sooo many times and yet nothing has ever happened. My dad said just to ignore it.

Miss Meow
11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
www.snopes.com says it's a hoax

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/hotmail.htm

(Your hotmail account is suspended if you don't access it for 45 days, so they already keep good track of who's using their account :))

G.P.girl
11-17-2003, 04:44 PM
it's fake! they have no way of telling wether you forward it or not.

Dogz
11-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
www.snopes.com says it's a hoax

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/hotmail.htm

(Your hotmail account is suspended if you don't access it for 45 days, so they already keep good track of who's using their account :))

Thank you so much for the information. I am really sick of all these hoaxes.

stacwase
11-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Maybe you should scan your computers for viruses now, those of you who have received that email. I wouldn't be surprised if a virus was attached.

babolaypo65
11-17-2003, 05:13 PM
There's a paypal virus going around now too. Those of you who use PAYPAL do NOT run the .exe that comes with the PAYPAL email. It's fake and contains a virus.
(windows users only).

Toby's my baby
11-17-2003, 05:15 PM
God I hope I didnt get it Im checking right now!!

slleipnir
11-17-2003, 05:25 PM
I've gotten this along time ago. Its a scam. Some person with no life. (I -still- have my acct and I never sent it) They have other ways to see if your active or not, IE if you sign in or not

bluekat
11-17-2003, 05:53 PM
lol, I thought so. The writing was all in different lettering and colors. I can't believe I actually forwarded it.:o :rolleyes:

rizzy
11-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Is it titled Hotmail going to dissapear or hotmail somethin or another...is it somthing like that. Because my friends keep sending it to me...i didnt even read it! just deleted it..its fake and stupid! And somthing about forwarding anything..somtimes it says if you dont forward it so and so will happen, well if you never opened it in the first place than what...you wont even know what...WILL happen..it is so dumb! but some emails can be scary...:eek:

Amber
11-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by rizzy
but some emails can be scary...:eek:

I agree!!

CathyBogart
11-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Oh blah, don't forward that stuff. It's all fake.

Dogz
11-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Oh blah, don't forward that stuff. It's all fake.

I hate forwards.

todd
11-17-2003, 09:26 PM
did not get it.

trayi52
11-18-2003, 01:52 AM
I have been getting those kind of e-mails for as long as I have had a hotmail account, usually from a friend, thinking it was true of course. I have never forwarded any of the e-mails and I still have my accounts, both of them. I mainly use just for storage, and other important info I want to keep in case I have a computer crash. I hate the kind of forward that tell you if you don't forward this certain e-mail within a certain length of time you will have bad luck, or the kind where it tells you that if you mail it to so many people you will receive a lot of money in so long a time, yeah I hate all these hoaxes, and the terrible thing is they use the name of small children in these hoaxes saying that if you don't send it then money will not be contributed on behalf of the sick child. There is a place that has some info about wheather it is truth or fiction, I think the website is
http://www.truthorfiction.com/

trayi52
11-18-2003, 01:55 AM
Oh by the way I do love forwards that have something funny to say or recipes, you know stuff like that. The fun things, I love those kind of forwards. :)

tomkatzid
11-18-2003, 02:36 AM
We got the Pay Pal one today, but I didn't open it.

amoore
11-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Dont do as they tell you , it is a scam . I get chain letters all the time . I delete them . But this one your talking about sounds bad ! It may have viruses attached or spyware . Be careful !
Do you have a good virus scanner ? I would start scanning.
A computer analyist told me that sometimes they plant bad things in those . :(

wolfsoul
11-18-2003, 11:43 AM
I got that on my old account. I just deleted it and forgot abbout it. Nothing happened. :)

ramanth
11-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Do not forward it! You're just creating Spam for your friends and family.

If you forward it, then how is Hotmail going to if your friends and families accounts are active?

You will get a letter directly from Hotmail if your account is inactive for awhile.

They would not ask you to forward the info.

Dogz
11-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
Do not forward it! You're just creating Spam for your friends and family.

If you forward it, then how is Hotmail going to if your friends and families accounts are active?

You will get a letter directly from Hotmail if your account is inactive for awhile.

They would not ask you to forward the info.

I forwarded it before I knew that it was a scam (:o) but then I sent an email to everyone I sent it to, telling them not to forward it. I also gave them the link that Miss Meow posted.