PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Products

CatDad
11-16-2003, 10:46 PM
I am interested in the cleaning products that are being used for surfaces that the cats will come in contact with on a regular basis.

The reason that I ask is that Joey pees on the inside of the litter boxes everday, and I have to wipe it down when I clean them. When we first got her I was using 409 to clean the litter boxes. After I thought about it, I realized how stupid that was as she is comming in contact with that harsh cleaner with some pretty sensitive body parts. So I stopped that and went to water, which did not work at all. I finally found a cleaner called Simple Green which is non-toxic. So, far no reaction from either of the kitties to the cleaner.

So I have something that works, I was just wondering what else may be out there that people use.

rg_girlca
11-16-2003, 11:00 PM
I use vinegar diluted with water. This seems to work best for my kitties. I remember one time when I had used Lysol with water to wash my kitchen floor and my RB Mittens had a bad reaction to it. It had irritated his pads. We had to bring him to the vets and that was the first thing the vet asked, "Did I use a new cleaner on the floor?" BINGO.
Had to put a special cream on his pads, twice a day, for a week. He was fine after that.
Needless to say, I don't use Lysol anymore and I close the kitchen door until the floor is completely dry, before I allow my kitties in there.

Interesting thread Bryan.:)

Craftlady
11-17-2003, 04:58 AM
I use regular cleaners like Lysol or Pine Sol on litter boxes. However, after cleaning I rinse for like 5 minutes. I haven't had problems with kitchen floor or bathroom floor because as I clean an area I'm going back over it with clear water. I am using Swifter on my floors that hasn't bothered the kids.

catlover4ever
11-17-2003, 07:40 AM
I use a product called Simple Green. It is a household cleaner that is Non-Toxic. I use it for my floors, litter pans, counters, etc.

jenluckenbach
11-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Simple green is a very safe product and I found it in a lemon scent. Both Lysol and pine type cleaners can be toxic to cats (If I remember correctly)

Craftlady
11-17-2003, 09:56 AM
I am aware that any cleaner is toxic, but if used properly and carefully it can be used. I am very careful with cleaners put kitties in another room while I am using these products. I rinse like there is no tomorrow with clear water.

LoudLou
11-17-2003, 02:17 PM
I love Oxy Clean and the orange cleaner. Both work well and are non toxic.

CatDad
11-17-2003, 10:25 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to all who posted.:)

I just wanted to see what everyone was using. I may try some sort of orange cleaner at some point, but it looks like the simple green will be what I will conitue to use for the everyday cleaning that I have to do. At this point anyway.

AvaJoy
11-23-2003, 08:45 PM
One of my cats likes to urinate down the litter box sides, and my elderly cat defecates on the rug sometimes. I find Simple Solution a great product . . . cleans and eliminates any odors.

NoahsMommy
12-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Good thread....I often worry about using 409 around the cats, even when its dry.

We use those "Clorox" or "409" wipes to wipe out the litter boxes. I hope those are OK for kitties?