PDA

View Full Version : Dino needs help :(

aly
11-13-2001, 03:30 PM
I daily visit the Great Dane Rescue in Dallas website to look at their available Danes. A GD is at the top of my dogs wanted list so I love to go look at them. I hadn't checked in a few days since I was busy with work and birthday stuff. When I just opened the website, my heart sunk at what I saw.

Dino needs financial or prayer help. Here's the story:

Dino bloated last night and is currently in a 24 hour emergency hospital.

(bloated 11-8-01) He has stabilized but his vet bill is skyrocketing! Currently at $550 and growing. He came in with his stomach as big as a basketball. He had a tube put down his throat into his stomach and luckily was able to be deflated. X-rays were performed and currently it appears he just bloated and did not twist his stomach. He is on IV's (gone through 3 bags so far), intraveneous antibiotics and 24 hour vet care. His bloodwork indicated he is extremely anemic and may have other complications (though he could be anemic due to hookworm/heartworm infestation). If you are able to donate funds towards his vet bill, we would greatly appreciate it! Please send checks to GDRNT, PO BOX 40425, Fort Worth, TX 76140-0425. Please indicate "Dino bloat" in the memo portion. You can also donate using PayPal. Thank you for your support of our organization and of Dino. UPDATE: 11-9-01 5pm...Dino has crashed twice in the past hour. He may need Plasma (at a cost of $200+ per bag --- he needs 3 bags worth) or emergency surgery (cost of $1600). Rescue has run out of funds...his bill is $700 already...can you help us help Dino? Update: 11-10-01 6 a.m. Dino is doing slightly better. He is picking his head up and went to the bathroom last night.

http://www.danerescue.net/images/dino_closeup.jpg

mugsy
11-13-2001, 05:00 PM
Oh aly, if Mike weren't out of work and I weren't going to have a short paycheck I would certainly help out since we have 2 rescue Danes ourselves. I will say lots of prayers for him. That picture is heartwrenching. I wish I could come get him now. Keep us up to date.

aly
11-13-2001, 10:48 PM
Your prayers are as good as gold. I know there have been several occasions where all the positive energy from Pet Talk MUST have helped some of our sick pups. If I didn't work all weekend, I'd go up to Dallas to see poor Dino :( I will keep you posted. Thanks for the prayers.

crow_noir
11-13-2001, 11:37 PM
oh God! I wish i could do more then let you know my heart goes out to you! I wish the best of luck to this guy!

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: crow_noir ]

PJ's Mom
11-14-2001, 06:51 AM
Oh this is so sad. :( I've always wanted a Great Dane, but my husband won't let me have one. :(

I wish I could help him.

Sudilar
11-14-2001, 07:57 AM
Prayers are coming his way!!

Dixieland Dancer
11-14-2001, 09:28 AM
I put a check for $50.00 in the mail to help cover the cost of Dino's expenses. Can I challenge anyone else who is able to match this to donate. Even if you can only help out with even a dollar or two, I'm sure it will help.

Aly, keep us posted. He is a beautiful dog!

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-14-2001, 10:16 AM
Oh! Poor Dino! I just put a $75.00 check in the mail to the rescue group as well. I will see if I can get any doggy lovers from work to donate as well. Please keep us posted!

aly
11-14-2001, 11:18 AM
Bless you angels. Thank you so much for your help. I felt really bad posting this asking for money, but I also feel bad for that rescue group. They spend all their time caring for and finding homes for homeless animals and they probably don't have a lot of money to start out with. I started a little collection at work and I will send that to them soon. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PJ's Mom - Even your prayers will help. This poor big guy will probably need a lot of extra special prayers in the near future from the amazing Pet Talk crew.

AdoreMyDogs
11-14-2001, 11:44 AM
Sadly, I can't contribute money, but I will say a prayer for poor Dino. That pic broke my heart :( It is so hard to see an animal like that :(

Get well wishes to Dino, the bravest boy who will get better and get the most perfect forever home in no time!!!

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

kobieeli
11-14-2001, 03:27 PM
On behalf of my parents' wonderful Dane named Lizzie, I sent the rescue people a check to help Dino. I just can't bear to see pics of sick dogs like that... :(

tatsxxx11
11-14-2001, 05:27 PM
I just signed up with PayPal last week and a "check" is on the way for Dino. Oh, that picture is heartbreaking and bloat one of my biggest fears. Along with it, lots of prayers that Dino will recover. Thank you Aly.

Daisy's Mom
11-14-2001, 07:16 PM
Oh what a picture! It breaks my heart. I am your average poor penniless teenager... so I hope my prayers will help enough; that's all I can offer.

mugsy
11-20-2001, 07:31 AM
Is there any good news to report on Dino? I think about him a lot!

aly
11-20-2001, 10:25 AM
This is what they have on the site now. Some of it is the same information. I will email them for a more recent update.

He was stabilized. He came in with his stomach as big as a basketball. He had a tube put down his throat into his stomach and luckily was able to be deflated. X-rays were performed and currently it appears he just bloated and did not twist his stomach. He was on IV's ), intraveneous antibiotics and 24 hour vet care. His bloodwork indicated he is extremely anemic. He crashed twice and was bleeding into his stomach but has bounced back and was released Saturday night. The vets said it was a MIRACLE he survived. His bill came to $663.98. If you are able to donate funds towards his vet bill, we would greatly appreciate it! Please send checks to GDRNT, PO BOX 40425, Fort Worth, TX 76140-0425. Please indicate "Dino bloat" in the memo portion. You can also donate using PayPal. Thank you for your support of our organization and of Dino.

mugsy
11-20-2001, 01:21 PM
Aly, do we know if Dino is able to be adopted yet? If so, do they adopt outside of Texas (getting a hint? lol) and what are their adoption fees? What the heck...what's one more Dane (and Mike really wants a fawn!)

aly
11-20-2001, 04:32 PM
Here's the website: http://www.danerescue.net/

They have some real sweeties on there. I think they only adopt in Tx because they do home visits and such :( But email them and maybe it will work out! (I will keep my fingers crossed).

You are so sweet. I know Dino would have the perfect home with you :) :)

mugsy
11-23-2001, 04:43 PM
Ok Aly, I emailed them and asked about adopting outside of Texas. If we don't take him, why don't you? Danes are so wonderful...you can't go wrong with them.

aly
11-24-2001, 11:41 PM
I WISH I could. I'd take him, along with a handful of dogs from my shelter that we can't place...oh and some cats that I'm in love with. I need to move into a house first though :( I am just in an apartment. And while I feel there's room for one or two more, my landlord feels differently, heh. They already let me exceed the limit when I went and begged. I don't think they'd let me push it anymore.

mugsy
11-25-2001, 03:00 PM
That's too bad aly. Ronda emailed me back and told me that she was sorry but they do only adopt in Texas. She suggested one of the Dane rescues here, but I told her I had my heart set on Dino. Well, that house is still for sale across the street from us and he wants to lower the price to $65,000 because it doesn't have a basement. You could always buy the house and stop on your way up and grab Dino! lol

aly
11-25-2001, 10:01 PM
mugsy, you're like that little devil in cartoons who sits on your shoulder giving you naughty ideas :D You tempt me too much with your plans, hehe.

I'm sorry about Dino :( Did she give you any extra info on how he's doing?

aly
11-25-2001, 10:05 PM
I'm speechless at this pic... my mouth is hanging open!! WHAT A BEAUtY!!!!!!!

http://www.danerescue.net/images/tatu_full.jpg

delidog
11-26-2001, 05:56 AM
i am so so glad that dino is doing better...does he have a forever home yet???? who is the beautiful blk./wht. dane???? the deli dog!!! :)

mugsy
11-26-2001, 08:12 AM
Aly, she didn't say anything else, it was pretty short and sweet. Now, as for the devil thing, haven't you noticed those little spiky things on top my head? I saw that Harlequin when I went to the website. he is a beauty...but he is huge!!

aly
11-27-2001, 11:46 AM
mugsy - The head nurse at the shelter I work at has 7 rescue Great Danes and 1 rescued Dachshund.

Hehe, thought you might get a kick out of that mix.

mugsy
11-27-2001, 12:03 PM
Gee she sounds like us!!! But tell her she has some catching up to do! lol Let's see...13-7=8. Ok, she needs 8 more. We have just about as strange a combo as your friend!

Hey, want me to bid on that house for you? hehehehe <eg>

Edwina's Secretary
11-27-2001, 12:14 PM
I wonder if the dachshund has a crush on any of the Great Danes -- like your lovesick Billy the one eyed beagle, Mugsy. Wouldn't that be a sight!

Has the romance made any progress?

aly
11-30-2001, 11:25 PM
Why do I torture myself like this? I just read the bio on this sweet boy and once again am in desperate love:

http://www.danerescue.net/images/xander.jpg

mugsy
12-01-2001, 10:19 AM
Oh geez Edwina...wouldn't that be funny? Hey, are you coming back to Indiana around Christmas? If you do, you have to come back and visit.