PDA

View Full Version : Canadian PTers: how do you feel about Martin?

babolaypo65
11-16-2003, 05:33 PM
As someone who spends a month or more each year in Canada, I try to follow Canadian politics some.

How do you all feel about Paul Martin?

Do you see big changes coming? Any changes?

Any thoughts on his relationship with Bush?

thanks!

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 06:58 PM
I honestly dont have a clue who paul martin is, I dont follow politics :o

babolaypo65
11-16-2003, 07:04 PM
He's set to replace Chretien as the leader of your country in, I think it's February. Chretien is retiring.

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 07:10 PM
yeah I herd about that. I think that it will be good for the country to have a new PM.

binka_nugget
11-16-2003, 07:49 PM
I don't really follow politics so..I have no say in this.:o

Crikit
11-16-2003, 07:57 PM
To be perfectly honest I'm not sure how I feel, I guess over time we'll just have to see what happens and what kind of effect on the country his actions have.

So far some of the stuff that I've heard about him has been fairly decent, like tonight for instance the news was reporting on a meeting that he had with the priemers from all the provinces. They had a quote from him saying that he'd like to have something like that at least once a year just so that the two different governements can get together and work out some of their differences.

Like I said though it will just be a waiting game.

babolaypo65
11-17-2003, 08:11 AM
I'm hearing good things too.
He seems to have some good ideas.

I am reserving judgement though as well. I'm also waiting to see how he reacts to Bush. I rather liked that Chretien didn't blindly follow Bush, that he seems to have made up his own mind with respect to U.S./Canada relations, the war etc.

Martin's not from Quebec right? Where is he from? I forget.

Nomilynn
11-17-2003, 08:40 AM
I wish I could say I knew more about what is going on, but I don't :p I don't trust the Liberal government at ALL, and so it's hard to take anything that he says seriously. Not that I trust any government party particularly, but the Liberals seem to lie to get their way more than any other (or maybe it just seems that way since they've been in power for over 10yrs now!).

All I can hope is that he follows through on what he's saying about involving the west more in the countries decisions, etc.

primabella
11-17-2003, 03:14 PM
I'll also have to admit that I don't kow much about politics so I can't say I know much about Paul Martin. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how he does.

Martin's not from Quebec right? Where is he from? I forget.
I'm a little concerned about this. What if he's totally biased to the English language and totally rejects Quebec? Hopefully he knows that as a prime minister he needs to respect ALL of Quebec. This may just be me being paranoid and all. As I said before, I don't know anything about politics. :p

As this guy in my class said today, "One old fart steps down, another old fart takes over" :D

wolfsoul
11-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Personally I hate polotics so I don't really care lol.

However, I saw both him and Chretien seperatly on the news and while Chretien said nice things about him, I found Martin to be a bit rude.

I'm not sure where he's from?? BC rings a bell...

bluekat
11-17-2003, 04:32 PM
lol, I don't follow politics either, so I just found out about 2 weeks ago that Chretien is retiring:o lol. But I know who Paul Martin is. I don't really know about him that well, so I can't say what I think of him.

babolaypo65
11-18-2003, 04:22 PM
off another site:
It's a quiz...silly but fun... and timely.

1. Canada's current Prime Minister is.....

a) Jean Cousteu
b) Jacques Clouseau
c) Jean Chretien
d) Black Jacques Shellaque

2. The New Prime Minister of Canada (as of December 12th) will be....

a) Martin Lewis
b) Steven Martin
c) Paul Martin
d) Martin Brodeur

3. Canada's official sport(s) is/are....

a) Hockey
b) Throwing snowballs at Americans as they cross our boarder
c) Lacrosse
d) Both A and C

4. A Canadian baseball team has won the 'World Series' how many times....(edit)

a) 0
b) 1
c) 2
d) Canadians won the 'World Series'? Get outta here!

5. Canada's largest city is ....

a) Toronto
b) Ottawa
c) Montreal
d) Moose Jaw

6. Canada has how many provinces....

a) 8
b) 10
c) 13
d) Provinces? What's a province?

7. Canada became a country in....

a) 1776
b) 1887
c) 1867
d) Don't they still belong to Britain?

8. Canada's total population is about ....

a) 16 million people
b) 23 million people
c) 31 million people
d) They have more moose than people up there

9. Canada's Official Symbol is ....

a) The Hockey Stick
b) The Moose
c) The Beaver
d) The Molson Beer Bottle

10) Canada's $1 currency is usually called....

a) Worthless
b) The Loonie
c) Le Dollar
d) 68 Cents U.S.

BONUS: Canada's Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are better known as....

a) Bob and Doug, The McKenzie Brothers
b) Jeff and Steve, The Hanson Brothers
c) Rutt and Tuke, The Moose Brothers
d) Both A and C

bluekat
11-18-2003, 05:07 PM
LOL, cool quiz!:D

wolfsoul
11-18-2003, 06:11 PM
Hahah good stuff.

Throwing snowballs at Americans crossing the border. Mwaha. :D

That reminds me. My socials teacher was talking to us about when he was a kid. He said, "When I was a kid my friends and I would ride our bikes over the border and see if we could find the president (Er -- wrong Washington Mr. Bingham). Nowadays you go over the border, you get shot!"