PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone saved a dog before?

DogFan77
07-07-2001, 01:17 AM
i did once, i saved my dog tiger one time. It was last summer and i had gone to my friends house for her pool party (more like a lake party since we where swimming in a lake). she lived right next to a lake.(it was actually in her backyard) well i brought my dog tiger to her party and when i let him off his leash he walked towards the dock. i went with him. my friend Kelly started up a conversation with me and i didn't pay attintion to my dog. all of a sudden my other friend shoouted my name and i looked and saw my dog fall into the lake. since my dog was only a puppy he couldn't swim yet. everyone in the lake swam towards him. i jumped in on grabed him and swam to the shore. since he could swim just a little bit he was o.k :D . Now mthat my dogsis older he can swim better and he isn't that curious anymore. i thanked my friends for helping me save my dog.

also to add it wasn't like a deep lake he just couldn't swim that good. So I think it wasn't like a big rescue.

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: DogFan77 ]

AdoreMyDogs
07-07-2001, 10:04 AM
Well nothing terribly heroic, but when my yellow lab, Beener (now at the rainbow bridge) got ill I took him on one last trip to his favorite spot...a 200 acre heavily wooded park with a large, deep rapid stream seperating the picnic/vollyball area from the wooded trail area. We walked down the trails, Beener was slow and weak and I could tell he wanted to enjoy it like he was a young dog again but he just was not able to. He would try to run and then stop and look at me with pain and confusion in his eyes. His last attempt at being young again was when he jumped off a 1 foot cliff into the rapid stream for a little swim...but he was weak, more weak then he thought he was, and he could not get out of the water, and the water was rapid so he had a hard time standing up. I saw the panic and the humilation on his face. He truly looked at me and asked me to help him. I have never seen a question so clear in a dogs eyes. I jumped in (with shoes of course) and lifted his frail body out of the water. It was then that I decided Beener had little quality of life left. A few days later I gave the vet just a little extra money to come to my house to put Beener to sleep. So I rescued Beener out of the water, but then I paid for his death...ironic. But I knew Beener did not want to be caried away helplessly in that current that beautiful October day, it was just not the way that noble dog wanted to die so I feel good about rescuing him.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-07-2001, 09:57 PM
AdoreMyDogs, that story made me cry! :( That is such a sad story. DogFan77, that is a wonderful story! Happy to hear someone saved a dog's life! :)

Daisy's Mom
07-08-2001, 01:10 AM
AdoreMyDogs, that's such a sad yet wonderful story. You truly are a lifesaver :)

And Dogfan, nice job savin' your pup from the lake!

A month of two ago the forest behind my house was full of coyotes. Daisy wasn't too coyote-smart and one night she went running into the backyard and howled at a pack of them right in front of us. They took off into the woods and I raced out and grabbed Daisy and flew inside. Now, the coyotes HAD left and maybe they weren't planning on coming back, but I still felt good that I had plucked her from a dangerous place :)