PDA

View Full Version : starting to get fed up...

cali
11-16-2003, 11:17 AM
grr ok ever since shadow was a puppy it has always been my moms job to grrom her, my mom and dad used to fight over who shadow belonged to. she does belonge to my dad however. anyway since my mom got blair she has not been fair to shadow, every winter shadow needs her hair trimmed because of the snow, it gets cought up in her hair, and mats it. so ever since the first snow I have been reminding my mom to trim shadows hair, had she got around to it? NO. finally I have just given up on reminding her and her putting it off, and groom shadow myself, the poor thing her feet were all matted up and gross, so her feet look rather goofy, because I had to cut them out. then I went to brush her ears and they were all matted up, so they were trimmed to. and she got a full out brushing. the poor dog, my dad does not live with us anymore, but shadow stays here, beacause his place does not allow dogs, and he provides meat and bones for shadow that he regularly brings over, and he taked shadow out for walsk and runs and car rides and such. but I do shadows training, and my mom does her grooming, ever since blair came along she has been totally neglecting shadow. she just says "ya whatever, I will do it later" she has been negleting perky too, I know because whenever my mom does not give perky much attention she starts beating up happy and misty. then she goes out a lot leaving me with her bratty puppy sitting. she has not done any training with blair yet.. etc.. she is driving me nuts. I mean I have heard of kids dropping the responisibility of pets on there mom but th emom dropping the stuff on to the kid? she takes care of blair, and cuddles with Ripley, perky and shadow are getting totally left out. not much I can do with perky she hates me. but man, if a 16 year old can handle grade 11, dancing,flyball, and 6 guinea pigs, 6 gerbils, 2 dogs, 1 rabbit, and 2 tanks of fish, that my mom who grew up with more animals then that should be able to handle a part time job that she only has to work when she feels like it, 4 dogs,5 piggies and 1 fish. tank. jeeze. sorry for the rant, she is just driving me nuts :mad:

Dogz
11-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Have you tried talking to your mom about it? Maybe you could explain it to her, and see what she says. I am sorry to hear about this, but you really need to talk to her.

Kfamr
11-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Well, you said Shadow was your father's .. so shouldn't he had done it? :confused:

K9soul
11-16-2003, 11:30 AM
What a difficult situation for you. I hope your mother is reasonable enough that you are able to talk to her and have her listen to you.

Moose
11-16-2003, 11:35 AM
I agree.....you really need to discuss this with your mother. It's not fair to Shadow....and certainly isn't a healthy thing for her. It sounds to me like your mom doesn't have enough time for all your dogs [maybe?]....:confused: :confused:

cali
11-16-2003, 11:35 AM
kfamr my dad does not live with us, he can only come so often to see shadow.

I have tried talking to her, she does not seem to care to much, she just says ya whatever, she does not need it right now, I will do it later, that kind of thing.

Dogz
11-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by cali
kfamr my dad does not live with us, he can only come so often to see shadow.

I have tried talking to her, she does not seem to care to much, she just says ya whatever, she does not need it right now, I will do it later, that kind of thing.

Well TELL her that she needs it. And I think your dad needs to know about this, how many dogs do you have at your mom's house anyway?

Moose
11-16-2003, 11:38 AM
If that's the case, Shayna....why can't you just do it? I understand that you don't think its fair your mom is putting all this work on you, but Shadow is your dog also. Granted, your mom may have more time on her hands and said she would do it.....but obviously she isn't going to, and like I said, that dog is your responsibility also.

You two need to sit down and work out some sort of schedule or something.....that way all of your dogs will get plenty of attention and care.

Dogz
11-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Moose
why can't you just do it?

I am wondering too...?

micki76
11-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Moose
You two need to sit down and work out some sort of schedule or something.....that way all of your dogs will get plenty of attention and care.

That's an excellent idea. It would be benficial to everyone, and make life less stressful on you, your mom and the pets.

cali
11-16-2003, 11:51 AM
moose I have been taking care of shadow, I have alwasy done all her training etc.. like I said I got fed up and did the grooming myself, it look horrable though, my mom does the grooming when it comes to hair trims because I am not so good with the clippers, happys feet always look horrable afetr I am through lol thats why I try to avoid doing clipping on someone elses dog :p I mean I just got fed up and did it myslef I dont care if it looks horrable anymore because she needs it done and obviously my mom does not plan on doing it! :( I think I will tell my dad about it, he is very sensitive when it comes to his baby. maybe he will be able to do aomething about it maybe he wont, I dont know. I hop eher can get my mom to help take care of his dog. I will see if I can get my dad on her case. otherwise it looks like I have another hairy(sheltie/spanial coat) dog to take care of.

Dogz
11-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Do you think that maybe you could sit down with your mom (get the schedule made) and ask her to teach you?

cali
11-16-2003, 11:57 AM
I guess so I never even thought of that! lol:p

Dogz
11-16-2003, 12:03 PM
I guess so I never even thought of that! lol:p

Maybe you could try that.

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Either way, it NEEDS to be done, no matter who does it. If you are not comfortable trimming, you should at least brush Shadow regularly to prevent those matts from occuring.

cali
11-16-2003, 01:48 PM
argh! she was just on the phone talking to my grandma. first she said she would gladly send shadow off to live somewhere else! tAND she could not remember shadows age! :eek: :mad: jeeze just because she gets new dogs NO reason to forget about the first one. :mad: argh looks like I have a new hairy dog to take full care of(minus exersize which my dad still does).

Dogz
11-16-2003, 01:57 PM
You are getting rid of Shadow?!? I am a little confused but :eek:

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 02:51 PM
argh! she was just on the phone talking to my grandma. first she said she would gladly send shadow off to live somewhere else! tAND she could not remember shadows age! :eek: :mad: jeeze just because she gets new dogs NO reason to forget about the first one. :mad: argh looks like I have a new hairy dog to take full care of(minus exersize which my dad still does).

If your mom is that uncaring towards your dogs she certainly should not be bringing new dogs into the household.

binka_nugget
11-16-2003, 03:03 PM
It can be hard but either way, things must be done. If you can't get her to teach you how to properly trim her hair, maybe you can ask a groomer for some advice? Or maybe someone from flyball who has had more experience in clipping hair.

Twisterdog
11-16-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm just guessing here ... but could part of the problem with your mom's attitude towards Shadow have to do with the fact that Shadow is your dad's dog, your mom and dad have separated, and your dad's dog is still living with you? Perhaps your mom feels some resentment towards your dad, and therefore towards his dog? Even if she doesn't say it, or doesn't even realize it, maybe it is subconsciously there anyway.

I kept my ex's dogs for a month or so, because he just couldn't get his ducks in a row. I did it for the dogs, and for his grandfather, who was stuck with them and was just too old to handle them. Yet, I did resent it, even though I volunteered to do it. Adult relationships are hard and confusing and ugly at times. We do honestly try our best not to involve our pets or kids in our problems, but sometimes it happens anyway.

I guess you are probably stuck with the pet care. You could try talking to your mom, making a schedule. That might work. But, if not, you'll just have to do it. It's the best thing for the dog. Maybe your mom just needs a little time to get her ducks in a row, too.

:)

Moose
11-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Whatever the deal with your mom may be, this isn't fair to Shadow. Don't worry about the trim looking gorgeous, just as long as you do it. Shadow certainly wouldn't care provided she physically felt better.

I'm confused now, though.....what is Shadow's status? Are you getting rid of her??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

cali
11-16-2003, 04:11 PM
no we are not getting ride of shadow lol.
twister you may be right my mom is always saying "well shadow is your DADS dog" and my dad takes care of shadow as much as he can considering he does not live here. but I talked to my mom and she said she just finds shadow to be really boring now. well what does she expect shadow is a senior, and a lethargic, arthritic one at that! I mean her arthritis has improved a lot with diet, but she is still not overly active, and lays down a lot. I just wish she would give shadow a chance, she can be really fun if givin a chance, I take shadow to agility, and walks, and Rally-O, she is a little lazy and tires quickly but she LOVES it! I mean not giving shadow chance could very well be related to my dad. she gives all the other dogs chances and even with her doubt she still tries. :( I did not think that it may have something to do with shadow belonging to my dad, but that could be.:)