PDA

View Full Version : My friend's party

Tonya
11-16-2003, 10:41 AM
For those who didn't read the previous thread, my friend is dying of cancer. He was given two weeks to live, this Monday is two weeks. Lee requested to have everyone come over for a party last night. Here's the thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37365

I finished my telephone wire bouquet. I didn't like how it looked a whole lot, so I wound up taking a dozen wire flowers to a florist. I had her incorporate them into a beautiful live flower bouquet. Instead of a card, I used one of our tags that we always use to tag our cables. I was so upset on the way to Lee's that I forgot my camera. I am sure someone else took pictures, so I'll post them once I get them.

Anyways, the party was much better then I expected. There were hundreds of people there. Considering the situation, Lee was doing great. He was laughing and joking with everyone. His son was pushing him around in a wheelchair and Lee was mingling with everyone. He has this really high pitched girl voice right now because of the cancer. When he was giving a speech, he said "Excuse my manly voice." He still had his humor. He thanked us all for being a part of his life and whatnot. The whole party was so cheery. Not a single tear was shed.

I only stayed about 2 hours. I didn't want to see Lee once he got worn down. It was hard enough seeing him sick as it was. When I hugged him goodbye, it was really hard. You usually don't know when you are seeing someone for the last time. This time I did. Words can't explain what it feels like to hug someone goodbye and know that you will never see them again.

I couldn't think of a better way to go out though. A huge happy party with all your loved ones. That just goes to show what a friendly, positive guy he is. -Thinking of his friends at a time like this.

Starfire
11-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Oh. I feel so sorry for you. :(If one of my friends was dying from cancer, I wouldn't know what I would do.:(

G.P.girl
11-16-2003, 03:20 PM
well i'm glad he could still be happy at the party and have fun with his friends. thats alot better than moping around. i think.

Starfire
11-16-2003, 03:28 PM
I think it is too.

Cinder & Smoke
11-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
... I finished my telephone wire bouquet...

I had her incorporate them into a beautiful live flower bouquet.
Instead of a card,
I used one of our tags that we always use to tag our cables...

Tonya ~

Yours was probably the Most Appreciated and
Remembered Gift!

{{{Hugs}} to Lee! :)

captain
11-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Tonya,

What a thoughtful thing to do ....... and I agree with Phred, probably the most appreciated and remembered ..... {{{hugs}}}

primabella
11-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Man...I missed that thread. :( I'm so sorry about Lee but I am glad he had the chance to be with his friends and have a good time. Sounds like he had a wonderful time and I am sure everybody appreciated that party. :)

slick
11-16-2003, 09:35 PM
What a wonderful idea having that party. I'm sure Lee appreciated all his friends and family coming out to celebrate his life. It give them time to say what they want to say.

I just updated my Will last weekend and I set aside $2,000 for a party to celebrate my life. I figure that should cover the booze and the food and hope that everyone will enjoy themselves and remember and laugh.

Tonya, did you get any pictures of the wire bouquet??

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-17-2003, 12:03 AM
I think it's really special that your friend had the opportunity to have a party and say goodbye to people on his terms. I am so sorry - this is a very difficult time for you (((HUGS)))

CatDad
11-17-2003, 12:06 AM
The party sounds like it was a sucess and was what it needed to be, a celebration with Lee and not just mopping around. I am glad that there was something, because I know that you did not think that was going to be possible to ever see him again.

I am sure your first bouquet was fine;) I understand I am hard on the things that I do. I think that your second idea was great and I am sure that it was beautiful, and appreciated.

{{{{HUGS}}}} to you.

Tonya
11-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Slick, I was to bothered before the party to remember my camera or take pictures. There were tons of people at the party with a camera though. They plan on making a scrap book and they also plan on posting pictures on the board at work, so I am sure I'll get some copies. I'll show you all when I get them.