PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiousity - X-mas cards?

Randi
11-16-2003, 09:01 AM
I was wondering if any of you have a limit as to how many X-mas cards to send? In late october, already about 50 members had joined the PT list. :eek: I expected that another 50 might join and I'm afraid that's more than I can handle this year. :( That's why I didn't join.

I enjoyed very much being part of this last year, though. :) There were about 25.

If 150 had joined - or 200, what would you have done? Do you have a limit?

aly
11-16-2003, 09:35 AM
I remember about 50 people on the list last year and about 30 the year before.

If 150-200 had joined, I think it would have been good for us all to get together and discuss what to do because not too many people can afford to send out that many. I'm sure we could have worked something out.

zippy-kat
11-16-2003, 12:12 PM
I think there were 47 last year... and close to 60 this year!
It's getting to be more than one person to handle (esp. when that person still has one mini-paper and two term papers left to write! lol Thank God for Naomi's help!! :) )

Randi, I don't expect that many more people to sign up--maybe five at the most.

My goodness! 100+ cards?! EEK! lol I can't imagine. Not sure what I would do. :eek: I probably wouldn't participate on that large of a scale...maybe just with the few I'm closest to.

Felicia's Mom
11-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Maybe next year we could have more than one list. One for cats, one for dogs and one for other pets.
You could sign up for one or more lists, but had to send a card to everyone on your list(s).

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 12:49 PM
I enjoyed very much being part of this last year, though. There were about 25.

I was on the list last year and there was definitely more than 25....

I think 60 is plenty for me...maybe 65...I don't think we'll ever have 100 people join so I wouldn't worry. It's a big commitment to join the list, or at least it *should* be.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-16-2003, 01:35 PM
I am glad I could participate, although I would say if it goes over 50 people we should split the list as Felicia's Mum suggested. Mine this year cost me $230!!!

Miss Meow
11-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Sixty is getting close to my limit, only because nearly all are overseas postage. If it became many more, then I'd support separate lists, as Felicia's Mom suggested.

micki76
11-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Felicia's Mom
Maybe next year we could have more than one list. One for cats, one for dogs and one for other pets.
You could sign up for one or more lists, but had to send a card to everyone on your list(s).

What a good idea. :)

aly
11-16-2003, 04:05 PM
If we had seperate lists, I don't know that I could participate anymore. Since I have both dogs and cats, how would I choose which list to be on? I'd feel too terrible choosing one!

micki76
11-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by aly
If we had seperate lists, I don't know that I could participate anymore. Since I have both dogs and cats, how would I choose which list to be on? I'd feel too terrible choosing one!

You could sign up for both lists.

aly
11-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by micki76
You could sign up for both lists.

But if we got to the point where we'd need seperate lists, that'd mean there'd probably be too many people combined on both lists.

dukedogsmom
11-16-2003, 06:01 PM
I'm kind of worried that I won't be able to afford it now. I didn't realise how big the list would be. So, I'll have to save up for postage and the special pic I choose. So, no one worry, I'll get mine out to you. It might have to be spread out over December so please don't think I've forgotten you if it's past Christmas. With Chance's board as an extra bill, I've been getting behind with everything else and have been making big payments on my other bills to try and get caught up.

Miss Meow
11-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by aly

A lot of PTers have different types of animals, or would want to participate on both lists, so there may be a lot of double-ups on separate lists and your total mailout not much bigger. I guess we wait until next year and see what happens!

In the meantime, my cards haven't arrived and I paid for them two weeks ago. ARGHHHHH!

sasvermont
11-16-2003, 07:14 PM
I think this might sound a bit rude, but why would we want to send a card to every single pet talk person? There are many folks ( I do believe) who cannot afford to do the entire list mailing. I have not participated because I have a ton of cards to do anyway, and one more ton would be too much. Anyway, I would love to send a few of the members of Pet Talk a card, just not the entire membership or list. Would that be ok? Just to send to those folks I would like to......not 57....plus!??? I would like the list and wouldn't mind being put on the list, but just don't want to feel as though I have to send a card to everyone and vise versa.

Thanks....

Kfamr
11-16-2003, 08:17 PM
If you don't want to send a card to EVERYONE on the list, PM or e-mail those that you do want to send a card to and exchange addresses with them.

The list is for those who want to send cards to everyone who is on it.

---

I don't like the idea of different lists, I like one. I enjoy recieving pictures of the kitties and other animals.

And if anyone just wants to send cards to a select few, like I said above -- they they can get together with those certain people and exchange cards with them.

micki76
11-16-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
If you don't want to send a card to EVERYONE on the list, PM or e-mail those that you do want to send a card to and exchange addresses with them.

The list is for those who want to send cards to everyone who is on it.

Yup, PMing them and exchanging addresses is the only fair way to go about it if you don't want to send to everyone.

If someone can't afford to do the mailing to everyone, then they shouldn't sign up.

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Yup, PMing them and exchanging addresses is the only fair way to go about it if you don't want to send to everyone.

If someone can't afford to do the mailing to everyone, then they shouldn't sign up.

I definitely agree with this. If you only want to send to a select few, then just talk with them, don't sign up for the list.

This is not even close to *everyone* on Pet Talk, lol....

sasvermont
11-17-2003, 05:08 AM
Thanks.

Randi
11-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Aly, I was not a member in 2001, but I know for a fact that the list I got last year had less then 30 on it. However, I too think that we could find a way to do it, if hundreds joined. :)

Some of them have been mentioned here. Other ways could be, either first and second half of the alfabet (and people could still send to the ones they feel closer to). Or the list could be split up in 2 age groups. (also here, you can still choose to send to some of the others).

I have a feeling that many would not join, if the amount of cards to send was over 60, or thereabouts. Some can’t afford it and some don’t have the time. I would rather not do this as mass mailing, but take time to make it bit more personal. :)

Well, I can also see the dilemma in sending only to some, so maybe keeping out of the list is be the best solution. I really don’t know, just thought I’d like to hear your inputs on the subject. Thanks for your opinions!

Oh, and I do love the element of surprize on who I'm getting X-mas cards from. :D

lizbud
11-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Randi

I have a feeling that many would not join, if the amount of cards to send was over 60, or thereabouts. Some can’t afford it and some don’t have the time. I would rather not do this as mass mailing, but take time to make it bit more personal. :)

That's kind of how I feel too.

I participated in the 2001 Christmas Card list, but last year
& this year I really couldn't commit to sending that many cards.
I would love to send Chrismas greetings to old friends of Pet Talk,
but do understand the reasons for not wanting to leave some
people off any lists. So I decided to not sign up at all this year.