View Full Version : Fire Mascot abused while crew out training

Phred
11-04-2001, 07:17 PM
Here's a sad commentary on what some low-life will do to a FurKid... :(

Quoted from http://www.Firehouse.com

"Louisiana Station Mascot Nearly Killed

CHARLES BAILEY
Firehouse.com News

Smokey, a five-year-old Dalmatian and the mascot of the 9 Mile Point Fire Department, located near New Orleans, came home today after a violent brush with death, and a one-week stay in the hospital.

Firefighters returning from a training detail found Smokey missing from his fenced in yard at the fire station. Two days later Operator Keith Plaisance found him in a neighbor’s yard, badly beaten and near death.

Lt. Paul Jackson said that the dog splits his time between a fenced in area to the rear of the station and inside with the firefighters. When firefighters found the mascot they also found a trail of bricks used to bludgeon the dog. Lt. Jackson said, "You could see a trail where the dog tried to crawl to safety and they kept throwing bricks at him."

Smokey’s injuries required two surgeries including the amputation of his right rear leg. His other injuries include a fracture front leg, and multiple bruises, cuts, abrasions, and infections. He is expected to recover...

Firehouse.com photo of Smokey...

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/10/31_FHmascot2.jpg
End Firehouse.com quote"

There is a little more info on the Firehouse.com page at:
Fire Mascot Story. (http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/10/31_FHmascot.html)

I can't find any links to the 9 Mile Point Fire Department or e-mails of members. I did locate a mailing address:

Nine Mile Point Vol. Fire Dept.
Chief Dennis M. Guidry
1024 Oak Avenue
Nine Mile Point, LA 70094
Phone#: (504) 349-5178

LISA, the League in Support of Animals, has posted a reward and may help with Smokey's Vet bills. Their web site is at:
LISA site. (http://www.LISAendcruelty.org/home.html)

Hug your FurKids tonight and say a Prayer for Fire Dog Smokey.

Pam
11-04-2001, 07:43 PM
This kind of thing really upsets me and at the same time it boggles my mind. I will never understand why someone would hurt an animal who offers nothing but unconditional love. Just look into those eyes! What an absolutely horrible thing! I would be tempted to batter these creeps with the same brick they used on Smokie!! :mad: :mad: Prayers are on the way up from Bella and me.

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

sammi
11-04-2001, 08:05 PM
This is really sad. What kinda people do this???

lizbud
11-04-2001, 08:26 PM
Smokey looks so hurt and sad, it breaks my
heart..
Hopefully the police can track down the
sick creeps that hurt Smokey! Could be they
live right in the area..I will say Special
prayers for Smokey, and would be happy to
contribute to a reward for the arrest of
the vermin that did this.

yorkster
11-04-2001, 08:40 PM
I could not read all of it..........It is too sad. I hope they find out who did this and then......I'll stop here. Thanks though for posting this anyway- we need to know that this stuff goes on and do something about it.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-04-2001, 09:06 PM
People like that just make me sick to my stomach, hopefully they will be caught and sent to prison for a long, long, time, in a case like that I think an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth should do it, no mercy.
Jackie

zippy-kat
11-04-2001, 09:14 PM
GRRRRR... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AdoreMyDogs
11-04-2001, 09:16 PM
I really wish I didn't read that :(

There are no words harsh enough to describe the type of person who would do such a thing :( :( :( :( :(

mugsy
11-04-2001, 09:37 PM
People who would do that to any living thing doesn't deserve to breathe my air! I wish the same fate for the idiot that did that to poor Smokey. They are simply lower than trash. Sorry I'm being so mouthy, but I can't help it.

Stenograsaurus
11-05-2001, 09:02 AM
That is just so sad!!! :( :(
Hopefully justice will prevail and they will find whoever did this to the poor guy. If justice is not done on earth, it will certainly prevail when they face The Almighty!!!

Angels3
11-05-2001, 03:38 PM
What a hideous cruel attack on Smokey! I hope that the law enforcement people & caring members of that community cooperate to track down whoever carried it out.
People who torture animals to such an extent are psychopathic...no empathy for the suffering of any other creature (human or animal), nor any remorse for having caused it. They are a danger to the community & need to be identified & watched very carefully.
I think there's one country where the law allows the animal welfare authorities to publish a list of the names of people who have been convicted in the courts of cruelty against animals.
In my own state here in Australia, a law has just been passed that allows the courts to ban people convicted of serious cruelty to animals from owning animals...for life. if necessary. The new law had been in place only 1 week when the court used it to ban an entire family from ever owning an animal again. They had a history of convictions for cruel neglect of pets.

tatsxxx11
11-05-2001, 04:06 PM
How incredibly, horribly cruel. WHY?????? I hope that the person(s) responsible for this unforgivable act of depravity is found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The look on Smokey's face breaks my heart. Oh, I am so ANGRY!!!!!!!

shais_mom
11-05-2001, 11:58 PM
This is just awful it makes me sick to my stomach.
I hope Smokie recovers 100%.
Prayers, hugs and kitty kisses sent to him tonight.

delidog
11-06-2001, 05:39 AM
aaaaggghhh!!!! :mad: my deli dog cannot read this!!!!! she is mainly dal!!! not that this should ever happen to any furkid!!! :mad: haven't the firefighters of this country endured enogh??!! :mad: i hope they catch these people and they get what they deserve!!! and you do not want to ask me what they deserve...the thoughts that i would have are not allowed on pet talk!!! :mad: ...but i will send a donation for smokeys' care and the reward for their capture!!! when will heinous acts like this end?!?!?!? :mad: the deli dog

Dixieland Dancer
11-06-2001, 08:36 AM
Stories like this make me sad to be a part of the human race that is capable of doing such a criminal act. This is just cruel and nasty. Someone needs to find the jerks who did this and give them the same treatment! See how they like it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

gini
11-06-2001, 09:15 AM
We seem to be in a period of time that is showing us how evil - Evil can be. We are learning about those who do not value life - their own - others and even little furkids.

There doesn't seem to be a harsh enough punishment available if the culprits are caught. However, maybe they should be assigned to that fire station and have to do a "little work". Under the watchful eyes of the firemen, (or women) they could do chores including picking up the poop and caring for this dog. If they could see how valiently this dog will continue to live, possibly they could learn something. Just putting them in jail doesn't seem to be the right answer.

Thanks for sharing the story, even though it made me cry.

purrley
11-06-2001, 09:52 AM
This is absolutely sickening - so here goes -another $2.00 in my animal fund jar on behalf of Smokie the big hearted, wonderful dalmation. :mad:

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-06-2001, 10:24 AM
Shocking and heartwrenching! I don't even have words to describe what needs to be done to these people! How dare they do something like that!

Smokey is the prettiest Dal I've ever seen...

karen israel
11-06-2001, 01:54 PM
I couldn't read anymore about it. It makes me
sick. Can't wait to get home to Cody and smother him with hugs and kisses!

lizbud
11-06-2001, 06:14 PM
Phred,
Do you have any news on Smokey?
I would really like to know if any progress
has been made in finding suspects in this
case. The LISA site sounded good;but they
had 10,000 cases to investigate last year.
I found a picture on nola.com site that was
even more 'graphic' than the one used.It
looks like it was Smokey's left rear leg
that was amputated, makeing him doubley maimed on the same side.
I would like to 'act' and not just 're-act'
but other than mailing/e-mailing people to
relay concern about this, I don't know what
else to do.I sincerely hope these people
are caught & arrested. State law in LA. is
serious about animal abuse...

Phred
11-06-2001, 09:24 PM
No other or newer information available. I did write to the LISA folks asking if they had or could get an e-mail for the 9 Mile Point Fire Department.

I'll post again if I hear anything back from them.

Daisy's Mom
11-06-2001, 09:31 PM
That is just disgusting! I hope whoever did this is caught and punished. My prayers are with poor Smokey.

Sudilar
11-06-2001, 09:56 PM
I am just heartsick over this. Only pure evil can do this to a poor innocent creature. I wish them "whatever goes around, comes around". I am so sad.

Phred
11-07-2001, 10:30 AM
UPDATE on Smokey, the Fire Dawg ~

Just received this from the LISA Folks:

"Hi- Smokey is doing much better.
Yes, he was abused while the firefighters were away from the station.
I don't think they have an email address down there, but I'll pass on your concern.
I think the plan is to retire Smokey,and let him live in leisure with one of the firefighters.
Thanks for your concern.

/s/ Dave Bishop
Humane Investigator"
---------------------------------------------

Sorry :( I don't have more information. The only e-mail I have is for LISA - the League in Support of Animals who seem to be involved in the animal cruelty aspects of Smokey's case.
LISA web site = LISA web site. (http://www.LISAendcruelty.org/home.html)
LISA E-mail = [email protected]

Sure wish we had an E-mail to the Firefighters! Keep the Pawz crossed for Fire Dog Smokey!
Keep Reading... We DO have a Fire Department E-mail - it's in a following post!

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Phred ]

mugsy
11-07-2001, 11:39 AM
I sent my venting email just now. I hope the idiots that did this are caught and given the same treatment that they gave Smokey.

Phred
11-07-2001, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by mugsy:
<STRONG>I sent my venting email just now... </STRONG>

Mugsy and All Others ~

I suppose supportive venting might be helpful; but we're sort of preaching to the choir :) ~ LISA is an Animal Protection Agency! They're already upset with Smokey's abuse. What they need is $money$ to help fight the abuse.

delidog
11-11-2001, 05:28 AM
phred you are correct...they do need funds...but we also are not a group that takes these things lying down!!! has smokey gone to live with afirefighter yet????? did they have to amputate his hind leg????? that poor,brave fellow!!!!! my heart and prayers go out to him.....and a donation.......the deli dog :(

Former User
11-11-2001, 08:33 AM
Poor Smokey, what kind of people go and hurt innocent animals anyway? We're sure Smokey didn't deserve this (no animal does) at all.

Our thoughts are with Smokey, we wish him a speedy recovery!

Lots of kisses for Smokey!

PJ's Mom
11-12-2001, 09:26 AM
This is horrible. He looks so sad. :( It usually takes a lot to make me cry. Looking into his eyes did it. :(

I truly believe that people like this deserve to have the same things done to them that they do to these poor animals. :mad:

ktreva52
12-04-2001, 06:40 PM
Just curious, Phred, any news lately on whether they have been able to find/prosecute the perps??? Have you heard how Smokey is doing?? I just cannot fathom a mind that could conceive (let alone carry out) such abuse -- and on a dog that has done NOTHING to them. It is just mind-boggling that this can happen in a civilized (supposedly) country like this. Please let us know if you know anything more.

Cinder & Smoke
12-04-2001, 07:00 PM
Haven't heard a thing about Fire Dog Smokey; but since you reminded me :o ~ I fired off an e-mail to Dave, the Humane Officer who was working on the case.

I'll post whatever I get back.

I think we all need to keep the Prayers flowing and the hands & paws crossed.

Cinder & Smoke
12-06-2001, 09:59 AM
Update on Smokey, the 9 Mile Point Fire Dawg! :D

Dad just heard back from the folks at LISA who said:

"Thanks for your inquiries about Smokey! Yes, there is an email address for the firefighters - it is:
[email protected]

Donations are being accepted for the vet bills, and can be sent to us - L.I.S.A.; P.O.box 740321; New Orleans, La. 70174.

Thanks!

Wr're gonna write to that Lieutenant 783c person and tell 'em to visit here on Pet Talk. Maybe we can hear how Smokey's doing!

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Phred ]

DoggiesAreTheBest
12-06-2001, 01:31 PM
I can't believe I didn't see this post sooner. Reading the story just broke my heart. I am in awe at how cruel some people can be. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I jotted down the address to send a donation to help cover Smokey's vet bills.

Phred, please keep us updated on Smokey's recovery.

tatsxxx11
12-06-2001, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the update and email address Phred. Wouldn't that be great to "talk" to the Lieut. and hear first hand how Smokey is doing. Paws crossed all over the place!

Lt783c
12-08-2001, 02:55 PM
Hello evryone, I got a e-mail saying that everyone wanted to know about Smokey. Well Smokey is doing pretty good considering what he has been through. The cast has been taken off his front left par with a 100% healing. He did lose his left rear leg to amputation, due to all joints were crushed and not repairable. We would like to thank people like yourself for all the support that we have gotten while dealing with this horrible situation. Smokey is trated like one of the firemen around here. It was a hard thing for us to deal with, but evryone is fine. Smokey is getting around very good with only three legs. The person or person's that did this are still on the lose, even with a $2,000 donation. We still have hope that we can find the guilty party. The police have there hands tied due to lack of leads, but we are still out looking. I hope i have ansered the questions you wanted, if not please e-mail me at [email protected]. Once again thanks for all your support.

summersgem
12-08-2001, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Phred:
<STRONG>Here's a sad commentary on what some low-life will do to a FurKid... :(

Quoted from http://www.Firehouse.com

"Louisiana Station Mascot Nearly Killed

CHARLES BAILEY
Firehouse.com News

Smokey, a five-year-old Dalmatian and the mascot of the 9 Mile Point Fire Department, located near New Orleans, came home today after a violent brush with death, and a one-week stay in the hospital.

Firefighters returning from a training detail found Smokey missing from his fenced in yard at the fire station. Two days later Operator Keith Plaisance found him in a neighbor’s yard, badly beaten and near death.

Lt. Paul Jackson said that the dog splits his time between a fenced in area to the rear of the station and inside with the firefighters. When firefighters found the mascot they also found a trail of bricks used to bludgeon the dog. Lt. Jackson said, "You could see a trail where the dog tried to crawl to safety and they kept throwing bricks at him."

Smokey’s injuries required two surgeries including the amputation of his right rear leg. His other injuries include a fracture front leg, and multiple bruises, cuts, abrasions, and infections. He is expected to recover...

Firehouse.com photo of Smokey...

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/10/31_FHmascot2.jpg
End Firehouse.com quote"

There is a little more info on the Firehouse.com page at:
Fire Mascot Story. (http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/10/31_FHmascot.html)

I can't find any links to the 9 Mile Point Fire Department or e-mails of members. I did locate a mailing address:

Nine Mile Point Vol. Fire Dept.
Chief Dennis M. Guidry
1024 Oak Avenue
Nine Mile Point, LA 70094
Phone#: (504) 349-5178

LISA, the League in Support of Animals, has posted a reward and may help with Smokey's Vet bills. Their web site is at:
LISA site. (http://www.LISAendcruelty.org/home.html)

Hug your FurKids tonight and say a Prayer for Fire Dog Smokey.</STRONG>

summersgem
12-08-2001, 04:21 PM
That was so sad, how can anyone hurt any animal or human to boot.. There is so much crulty in the world.. God bless the fire mascot, and prayers for recovery..
Love summersgem :)

lbaker
12-09-2001, 10:22 AM
I just phoned there and asked about Smokey.. :( I heard he's just fine and is living with one of the fire people with several dog buddies. I asked "is he happy :confused: and was assured he is. Would do a "big grin" here but I'm too upset about the whole thing to feel like grinning. But it's good to know Smokey is loved and cared for..
laurie

Linda York
12-21-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by lbaker:
<STRONG>I just phoned there and asked about Smokey.. :( I heard he's just fine and is living with one of the fire people with several dog buddies. I asked "is he happy :confused: and was assured he is. Would do a "big grin" here but I'm too upset about the whole thing to feel like grinning. But it's good to know Smokey is loved and cared for..
laurie</STRONG>
I am a very recent register to Pet Talk. I was horrified and sadden to read this story and hear that this type of thing happen. In the picutre of Smokey, his eyes seem to be asking "why?". And yet at the same time saying he still loves and beleives in man. I am so very glad he is doing good
:) and has a new happy, loving home. Thoughts and prayers go to Smokey and his "commrades" at the firehouse.

mugsy
12-21-2001, 10:58 AM
Welcome Pair-a-Dox....I haven't been on much lately, so I haven't met you yet. I'm glad you joined the fun.

thelmalu99
12-21-2001, 11:35 AM
I'm just seeing this for the first time...what is wrong with people???!!!

I'm with Pam, those @#!$* jerks should be beaten with the same bricks they used on that poor, sweet dog!

Linda York
01-05-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by mugsy:
<STRONG>Welcome Pair-a-Dox....I haven't been on much lately, so I haven't met you yet. I'm glad you joined the fun.</STRONG>
Thank you Mugsy. I think this is fun, I also have not been on much lately but very nice to meet you too.

:)

delidog
01-05-2002, 05:52 AM
does anyone have current news on smokey????is he healed????is he happy??? the deli dog :confused:

sabies
01-05-2002, 01:56 PM
I didn't see this post til now, what an awful story! Only a miserable person could do such a thing.

I'm glad Smokey survived and I'm amazed he did considering there is evidence the damage was done by BRICKS! I wish there hadn't been any permanent damage :( .

Xena
01-07-2002, 10:30 AM
To think anyone could have that much hatred towards a living thing sickens me. I am glad to hear that Smokey was able to recover with the surgery needed. It is so sad he had to lose his leg. Prayers going to Smokey and the firemen. I know how attached they must be to Smokey and this has to be very difficult to deal with.
Xena :(

delidog
01-07-2002, 08:22 PM
:confused: :confused:

mugsy
01-07-2002, 09:00 PM
I will reiterate that, stupid people don't deserve to breathe my air and these idiots don't deserve to breathe much air at all in my opinion. It just infuriates me that people can be that cruel...it only serves to give me a reason to cry and I HATE to cry!