PDA

View Full Version : new brush

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 12:54 AM
I got a new dog brush today, it was 10$ wow it is nice it is called "the groomers select, SHEDDING BLADE" it is soo cool. it has two different blades.

it is suppost to remove loose hair from the dogs coat.. It works really well and it doesnt tugg on hair that isnt loose like other dog combs. it has fine and corse teeth "which alows one person to completly brush the dog in one job :D"..

http://www.petcarerx.com/common/Prodimg/11109L.jpg

http://store5.yimg.com/I/allpetvetsupply_1749_16453527

http://store3.yimg.com/I/the-puppy-shop_1765_4070330 mine has a silver handle with purple on it :) it doesnt have very sharp teeth though, I like it alot...

does anyone have any experience with the shedding blade??? did you like it ??

GoldenRetrLuver
11-16-2003, 12:57 AM
I have a shedding blade. I don't use it often on Daisy, but Molly needs it.

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 12:57 AM
Yes, I have one and it works well. Just be careful as it can cause "brush burn" quite easily. That's where the skin becomes irritated or inflamed from the brush...especially happens with short or thin coated breeds.

Aspen and Misty
11-16-2003, 01:06 AM
Ahh, I worship this brush!! It is like a god sent from heaven. I just love mine!

Amy, thank, I never knew that and I have short coated breeds :eek:

Ashley

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 01:14 AM
You can brush burn a dog with any brush, but I think it's easier to do it with that specific brush. Just be careful not to brush too hard or too long and you shouldn't have a problem. I've only brushed burned dogs twice, and both were with that brush.

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
You can brush burn a dog with any brush, but I think it's easier to do it with that specific brush. Just be careful not to brush too hard or too long and you shouldn't have a problem. I've only brushed burned dogs twice, and both were with that brush.

thanks for the info!! I havent been able to get through to Tikeyas second layer of fur yet lol but it is coming ;).. I dont press hard with the brush. I love it!!! mwahaha

binka_nugget
11-16-2003, 01:25 AM
It's neat isn't it? I bought one for Kai a while ago. It's pretty good but my favorite is still our undercoat rake lol.

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 01:29 AM
I have a undercoat rake, but I dont really like it, it pulls on hair that isnt loose :( and hurts my Tikeya baby lol.

binka_nugget
11-16-2003, 01:30 AM
Aww poor tikeya. I love ours...especially for Kaedyn. He's been shedding for a while (I'm not sure if it's his shedding time or just from the crummy food he got before he came here).

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
It's neat isn't it? I bought one for Kai a while ago. It's pretty good but my favorite is still our undercoat rake lol.

Yep, undercoat rakes work great! For Nebo's coat I mainly use an undercoat rake and a nice *firm* slicker brush.

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 01:33 AM
I HATE slicker brush's !!!!! they get hair all stuck in them and ugh they are soo messy. I love my shedding blade mwahahaha. !!! lol I am freaking out over this thing lol.

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I have a undercoat rake, but I dont really like it, it pulls on hair that isnt loose :( and hurts my Tikeya baby lol.

She probably hasn't had her undercoat brushed out entirely, that's why it hurts her...it's probably really stuck in there. Especially if she has been wet at all, it will mat up that undercoat and make it very difficult to get out. That's why it would seem to be "hair that isn't loose" but in all reality, I bet it's just stuck undercoat. It would be best for her, though it may hurt, to just brush her really well and get it all out!

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 01:37 AM
I HATE slicker brush's !!!!! they get hair all stuck in them and ugh they are soo messy. I love my shedding blade mwahahaha. !!! lol I am freaking out over this thing lol.

I like the fact that the slicker brushes trap hair. That way, when you are brushing you can just grab the wad of hair out and continue brushing. With the shedding blade the hair just flies everywhere and it's harder to clean up. The slicker is the only brush I'll use to brush Nebo in the house lol.

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 01:40 AM
o my!!!

do you think Tikeya has matted undercoat!!! GULP!!! I will try to brush it all out tomorrow!!! Tikeya has longer hair then nebo and it is thicker looking, I have troubles brushing out her undercoat, she will yelp and whine and growl. She will also try to run away :eek:

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I like the fact that the slicker brushes trap hair. That way, when you are brushing you can just grab the wad of hair out and continue brushing. With the shedding blade the hair just flies everywhere and it's harder to clean up. The slicker is the only brush I'll use to brush Nebo in the house lol.

very good point lol. I noticed that when I brushed Tikeya with the shedding blade HAIR was flying EVERYWHERE lol. No wonder it is called the shedding blade, it makes hair fly everywhere. ;)...
WE have a slicker brush, a shedding blade, a normal hair brush, a undercoat rake, and a metal comb.

binka_nugget
11-16-2003, 01:43 AM
I LOVE our slicker. I like the ones that have a curve on them...I'm not a big fan of the straight ones for some reason. The undercoat rake isn't that useful for Kai *yet* since he hasn't done his shedding yet but the slicker is awesome. It really gets in there and gets all that yucky stuff that I can't see from the outside.

And about the matted undercoat...that sounds really familiar. Kaedyn gets little clumps that are hard to get out if I leave them for a while. Tikeya might not like it at first but just keep at it. Kai didn't like being brushed as a pup either but now, he LOVES it. ;)

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Tikeya loves being brushed BUT she hates being hurt lol. and pulling her clumps out hurts lol

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 01:48 AM
o my!!!

do you think Tikeya has matted undercoat!!! GULP!!! I will try to brush it all out tomorrow!!! Tikeya has longer hair then nebo and it is thicker looking, I have troubles brushing out her undercoat, she will yelp and whine and growl. She will also try to run away :eek:

I think it's quite possible that she does. If she feels extra thick/hard in places it's definitely a matted undercoat. It's pretty hard to tell, as it doesn't look like what you would normally call matting....but I've brushed out *many* huskies/malamutes/etc. with that problem. It will hurt her to get it out, and I know those breeds usually are extra-difficult about it. But it would be really good for her to get it all out. Maybe just do it a little bit at a time and reward her with treats. Pay special attention to the neck, tail and hindquarters area. When you are done you should be able to run a 1-2 inch undercoat rake all over her without it getting stuck or slowed down. Good luck! :)

wolfsoul
11-16-2003, 02:07 AM
Hm, I've never had a shedding blade. Does it work okay on tight-coated breeds? Like a catahoula for instance? Tehe. ;)

Right now we have a double sided bursh. It's a pin brush on one side and a soft plush on the other. We had an undercoat rake and I LOVED it (except that fact that it made Timber's hair staticcy (sp?) and the hair always fell out of it), but it dissappeared. I have to buy a new one. I remember when we first got it and Timber chewed half of the handle off lol. Our brushes keep dissapearing..:confused:

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Hm, I've never had a shedding blade. Does it work okay on tight-coated breeds? Like a catahoula for instance? Tehe. ;)

Right now we have a double sided bursh. It's a pin brush on one side and a soft plush on the other. We had an undercoat rake and I LOVED it (except that fact that it made Timber's hair staticcy (sp?) and the hair always fell out of it), but it dissappeared. I have to buy a new one. I remember when we first got it and Timber chewed half of the handle off lol. Our brushes keep dissapearing..:confused:

I am not sure if a shedding blade would work well for a catahoula just because they are a very tite short coated breed and the shedding blade might give them a burn if brushed.. ouch that would hurt!! I think they are mostly ment for longer haired breeds with thicker coats. I hate thoughs double sided brushs for Tikeya, they work well for oscar and baby though. but man O man it is really hard to get the hair out of the soft brissel side of the brush!!! lol.

you know what is funny, all of our socks went missing befor baby came here. lately she has been finding all of them IN THE BACKYARD, barried lmao!!!! ;).. maybe Timber barried the brushes lol you can borrow baby to look for them lol.

Cookiebaker
11-16-2003, 07:43 AM
I *love* that brush, especially during shedding season. It gets so much hair out!!!

Also, Amy (WolfQ) sent us a rubber brush very similar to this:

http://www.epetpals.com/3921.jpg

I really really love this one, too! I use it on both the cat and the dog, and it works wondefully!! (Thanks again, Amy!!!) :)

cali
11-16-2003, 09:18 AM
non of my dogs need a shedding blade, so I dont have one. but for the short haired dogs I LOVE curry brushes, ours works great on kari and misty, and perky, and Ripley. other brushes are usless on these guys. for shadow I use a pin brush, a wide toothed comb, a regular comb, a slicker brush. for happy just a pin brush, a bristle brush, a regular comb, and curry brich for the smooth areas. blair, just a comb, he is co-owned and if by some merical he turns out alright to show, the breeder reserves the right to show him, and having a well groomed coat, is a fault in the breed. so we can only give him a little comb through here and there. :eek:

Shelteez2
11-16-2003, 12:24 PM
o my!!!

It sounds like she might. And basically it sounds like she's being a husky when you try to brush it out. I'm not saying all huskies hate being brushed, just that in my experience huskies and husky type dogs seem to be really sensitive to a lot of pulling.

WE have a slicker brush, a shedding blade, a normal hair brush, a undercoat rake, and a metal comb.

I love the slicker brush as well, and for the thicker matted areas a rake or this coat king rake:
http://www.hppets.com/images/52512.jpg
Those work great!
When you are done brushing her you should be able to take that metal comb and run it all over her body without hitting any tangles.

Shelteez2
11-16-2003, 12:26 PM

I wouldn't use a shedding blade like that, well on anything really, but especially not on a short tight-coated breed. Instead for that hair type I LOVE Zoom Grooms made by Kong:
http://www.petsmart.com/images/product/large/inP026180.jpg

They work great!

wolfsoul
11-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I wouldn't use a shedding blade like that, well on anything really, but especially not on a short tight-coated breed. Instead for that hair type I LOVE Zoom Grooms made by Kong:
http://www.petsmart.com/images/product/large/inP026180.jpg

They work great!
Ooooh I saw some pictures of those and wanted them so bad. They look like they'd provide a great massage for the dog. I'll have to see if I can find them.

Shelteez2
11-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Ooooh I saw some pictures of those and wanted them so bad. They look like they'd provide a great massage for the dog. I'll have to see if I can find them.
Do you have a Walmart near by you? They sell them there for much cheaper than you can find at a pet store. Or if that's not an option then I can get one for you from our supplier. We get them for about $6.00. Let me know.

wolfsoul
11-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Do you have a Walmart near by you? They sell them there for much cheaper than you can find at a pet store. Or if that's not an option then I can get one for you from our supplier. We get them for about $6.00. Let me know.
I have a Wal Mart 10 minutes away from me! Lol. That would probably be the first place I'd check. Pet stores here are tremendously overpriced. :eek:

wolf_Q
11-16-2003, 12:55 PM
I have something very similar to the zoom groom (looks the same except it doesn't have the pic of the dog lol) and also a blue rubber curry brush like what Cookiebaker showed. I think they both work well on short-coated breeds, but I prefer the curry brush. I bought them both at Petco for around $5.

Dogz
11-16-2003, 01:11 PM
I love the shedding blade! It works great on Prince, and Digger likes it once in a while, thanks for the info Amy!:D I also have the undercoat rake, and that works like a dream. This summer Prince had mats, and I used the rake to help get them out. I had a groomer teach me how to get the mats out. I also got a brush that curves upwards that is made for getting mats out (maybe Amy will know what I am talking about), that works really good with mats. I also love the Pin brushes, they really help.:) I have many different kinds of brushes.;)

Aspen and Misty
11-16-2003, 02:13 PM
I am not sure if a shedding blade would work well for a catahoula just because they are a very tite short coated breed and the shedding blade might give them a burn if brushed.. ouch that would hurt!! I think they are mostly ment for longer haired breeds with thicker coats.

I use the slicker on both of my dogs, Nova and Breeze and both have Lab type hair. It doesn't hurt them and nova LOVES it when I brush her with it. Any time I get it out she comes running over, LOL. Breeze is still in the puppy stage where brushing is evil :rolleyes:

Ash