PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe This! I Am So Excited!

Desert Arabian
11-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Oh man. I am soooo excited. I can't even think straight enough to plan out this post!! So, if this post is extremely confusing, please excuse it, I can't think straight.

You will never believe this! Where do I begin!?! Hmm, how do I explain this!?!? *Takes deep breath*

Ok, here it goes: I got to talking with my mom a little while ago (couple of weeks) on the subject of getting a job and getting a horse. She told me if I got a good paying job, and kept the job, and had enough money, I could get a horse!!!!!! First, I would have to save up money for gas, car insurance, clothing expense, etc, and save up money for the horse, boarding fees, horse equipment, ferrier cost, and minor vet check bills.

I plan on getting a job real soon!!! :p My best friend and I want to get a job at the same place: Hoffer's Tropical Life Pets- I gigantic pet store in Milwaukee. They have a HUGE rat section, and when I say HUGE I mean HUGE- over 100 rats. I would be working in the rat section. I would be the first person working at a pet store with a clue about the animal section they are working in. :rolleyes: I would be the first person working in a pet store giving out the CORRECT information. :rolleyes: (My friend would be working in the saltwater fish section.) My friend and I are obsessed with this store, and really want to get jobs there. I can't remember what he told me the starting pay was, all I remember is it is a good starting pay rate. I think it is $8.00 an hour, something like that.

Oh, I am so excited. I have been waiting for my mom to say this since I was 6 years old- that is when I first started taking English lessons. So, ever since mom and I talked about me getting a horse, I have been looking on Equine.com at the horses for sale, just to see what is on the market, and looking at StateLineTack.com to get figures of the total cost I need to spend on equipment. I really want an Arabian or Appendix Quarter Horse. I am leaning more towards an Arabian.

Another cool thing about this situation is there is a riding stable half a mile down the road from me, where I could board my horse- if there was room that is. The stable does therapeutic riding for mentally and physically challenged people, and they also give private lessons to other peoples. I would LOVE to help the therapeutic children, and let them use my horse in the therapy lessons!! The stable is called "The Ranch", I used take my English lessons there. It is a wonderful facility, for horses and peoples. A HUGE indoor heated arena and large outdoor arena, big pastures, cheap boarding fee, etc. Also, right across the street is a 5 mile bike/hiking/horseback riding trail that goes thorough out the woods, ooooh it would be so fun to go riding everyday on the trail!! :D

I know it is going to take forever to save up enough money, but I am just sooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!! If I have to work 7 jobs to get enough money, so be it, I am up for any challenges!!! I am getting a horse...my heart is set on it!!!!

:) :D ;) :) :D

I am getting carried away sitting here daydreaming about what it would be like to get my own horse...I am getting butterflies in my stomach!!

I LOVE MY PARENTS!

Desert Arabian
11-16-2003, 12:12 AM
So, like I mentioned somewhere in my 5 mile long post, I was browsing around Equine.com at Arabians for sale in Wisconsin. I thought I would share my favorite ones with you. You must take a peek at them, they are so gorgeous!!

Bremerton DV (http://horse.classifieds.equine.com/horses/626973.html)
SCR Klassic Kidd (http://horse.classifieds.equine.com/horses/600258.html)
Firset (http://horse.classifieds.equine.com/horses/627530.html)

Here are two Arabians for sale on NetEquine.com
This is the Arabian I really want, too bad I don't have the money now! :p (First one: CZ Dukati)CZ Dukati (http://www.netequine.com/search_horses_details.php?linkid=428)
Mr Ghazi NVF (http://www.netequine.com/search_horses_details.php?linkid=426)

:D :D :D I can't wait to see what the future has in store for me!! :D :D :D Going to put extra effort into school now also!!

Aspen and Misty
11-16-2003, 12:18 AM
I'M SO EXITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A horse of your own!! WOW!! Congrats!!
Keep us updated!

Ashley

Desert Arabian
11-16-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Keep us updated!

Oh I will!! :p ;) I am sure it will take me a looooooooooong time. :) :( :o

ChrisH
11-16-2003, 05:43 AM
That is wonderful!! Your desire and dedication make me certain that you will get your horse, I suspect it will be sooner rather than later too! I hope so. Good Luck!:)

Reminds me of my youngest grandaughter Dannielle, she is just 8 years old and she so wants a horse, her mum, my DIL, does too, as she has for many years. I hope one day they too will get their dream.:D

Cookiebaker
11-16-2003, 07:31 AM
That's soo exciting, YLL!!!!

And it so awesome to see:

"I LOVE MY PARENTS!"

Not many kids feel that way, and it is great that you do.

Can't wait to congratulate you on your new horsie when it will finally be a reality, just around the next corner.

:D

Amber
11-16-2003, 07:41 AM
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :p :p :D :D

primabella
11-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Good luck! I'm sure you've already peed in your pants from excitement...lol ;) Just keep at it and keep working hard.

Good luck with the job too! :D

bluekat
11-16-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm so happy for you!!!:D:D:D omg, you're soooo lucky!!!!!!!!!
I've ALWAYS wanted a horse (and a dog) :( Maybe when I get older I guess.
I have been waiting for my mom to say this since I was 6 years old
hmmm, then maybe there's still hope for me?;) lol, I've been begging for a dog for as long as I can remember.

GOOD LUCK!!!!:D

Desert Arabian
11-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by primabella
Good luck! I'm sure you've already peed in your pants from excitement...lol ;)

I came purdy darn close to peeing my pants! :o Instead, I stayed up until 3:30 am looking at horsey tack and Arabians for sale! :D :p :D :p

Thanks everyone for wishing me luck! I hope to get my job real soon so I can start saving my money! :)

boscibo
11-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Have you ever considered a lease, or half-lease? That way you could get a feel for horse ownership, but it wouldn't be so expensive. Finding the *right* horse is a big undertaking, believe me, I've been there. I bought a horse without my trainer's approval and it didn't work out between us. I sold him after a year. He just wasn't what I was looking for. So the moral of my story is, if you are set on buying, I would highly recommend bringing a trainer with. I thought I knew a lot about horses (I had been taking lessons for years), but I made a big mistake that time. If you leased a horse and it didn't work out, you wouldn't be stuck with a multi-thousand dollar mistake.

But congrats, horses are great! Just remember, the purchase price is the cheapest part. It's the upkeep that will drive ya to the poor farm!

Dogz
11-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Wow! How exciting! I am so happy for you! I know you will keep us updated, how can you not?;) YAY! Your job sounds like a lot of fun too! Congrats! Having a horse will be so much fun! Good Luck!

Moose
11-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Aw, congratulations. :) I'm so excited for you! Even though you may not necessarily like the idea of having to wait all that time until you have saved up enough money, you'll appreciate your horse even more when that time comes. You can really say that that horse is yours and that you did it yourself. :) Congrats again!

Desert Arabian
11-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by boscibo
Have you ever considered a lease, or half-lease? That way you could get a feel for horse ownership, but it wouldn't be so expensive. Finding the *right* horse is a big undertaking, believe me, I've been there. I bought a horse without my trainer's approval and it didn't work out between us. I sold him after a year. He just wasn't what I was looking for. So the moral of my story is, if you are set on buying, I would highly recommend bringing a trainer with. I thought I knew a lot about horses (I had been taking lessons for years), but I made a big mistake that time. If you leased a horse and it didn't work out, you wouldn't be stuck with a multi-thousand dollar mistake.

But congrats, horses are great! Just remember, the purchase price is the cheapest part. It's the upkeep that will drive ya to the poor farm!

Yes, I have considered lease or half lease. The fact that there are two different owners for one horse does not appeal to me. The other person leasing the horse with me could have a different riding level than me, whether it be lower or higher, and I don't want the horse getting confused trying to adapt to the two different owners. I might lease the horse, but only to someone I know well, so I know exactly what is all going on with the horse and how it is being treated.

When I do go to purchase a horse, I am going to have Maria come with me, she has been training for 20 something years to help me, and I am having a vet check over the horse, take blood samples and possible x-rays. That would run me anywhere from $200 to $700, I have looked into that. That is a rule for when you go to purchase a horse- take a trainer along and have a vet check done.

Yep, I know the upkeep is rather expensive. I have been looking at all the aspects of owning a horse LONG before my parents ever said I could get one, just so I knew how much I would be spending later on in life when I would get one. Like I said, if I have to have 700 jobs, so be it. When my heart is set on something, it is bound to happen and work for me.

Moose
11-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
When my heart is set on something, it is bound to happen and work for me.

Good for you, YLL! :) :D

zippy-kat
11-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Soooo if I told you that I know an arabian breeder giving (yes GIVING) away part of his herd, would that be incentive enough to get you and your mom down here? (I can see Shari giving me "the look" from here! lol)

I have a sales list from the breeder, they are giving away some of the older brood mares/geldings and selling others for cheap! I have my eye on a bay gelding a year off the track. He's a freebie.... blind in one eye but as long as you can work him from the left side, he's A-OK. (We also know the trainer for these horses, not a thing wrong with 'em unless otherwise stated. The breeders are just looking to reduce the herd!)

isis
11-16-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm so happy for you!! I wish I could get a horse.:D Good luck!!

Desert Arabian
11-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
Soooo if I told you that I know an arabian breeder giving (yes GIVING) away part of his herd, would that be incentive enough to get you and your mom down here? (I can see Shari giving me "the look" from here! lol)

I have a sales list from the breeder, they are giving away some of the older brood mares/geldings and selling others for cheap! I have my eye on a bay gelding a year off the track. He's a freebie.... blind in one eye but as long as you can work him from the left side, he's A-OK. (We also know the trainer for these horses, not a thing wrong with 'em unless otherwise stated. The breeders are just looking to reduce the herd!)

:D We would go down there and take a look, but I don't have my job yet, mom says I have to have my job for over 6 months before I can consider purchasing anything (equipment wise).

Blind in one eye, makes them extra sweet, and forces you to give them extra love and kisses. :p :D Just like Spirit, he is blind in one eye, and is a big lump of sugar covered in kisses.

LOL, no she did not give "the look", but she did laugh when she read that. :D

boscibo
11-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Whew, I'm glad you have someone else to go with you. It really helps to have a second set of eyes, someone who isn't so emotionally involved in the choosing process. It is too easy to fall in love with a pretty horse, and miss signs of trouble or incompatability.

Buy used tack if you can, $400 won't buy much of a new saddle but it can buy a really nice, good brand, used one. Plus it will already be broken in. Cheap saddles are no good.

What I did when I was younger is worked part time at the barn - saved me money on lessons and board costs, plus I had a good reason to spend all day at the barn! :D

Vermontcat
11-16-2003, 12:56 PM
You sound like you are so ready to get a horse!
The job sounds perfect for you too!
I am so excited for you!:D
I noticed your birthday is coming up soon, a horse would be a great present!;)
Like Boscibo, I thought you might like to try a lease before owning a horse.
I know a lot of summer camps lease their horses when camp isn't is session. Does your camp do that?
I was wondering if you would be able to lease Jack or Spirit since you already know and love them.:)
Those Arab photos you posted are gorgeous! The first one looks a bit pricey though. How much do you plan to spend?
It would be great if you could board your horse at a nearby stable.
If you are serious about using your horse as a therapy horse also you may want to go for an older, calmer horse that would be easy for beginners to handle too.
Good luck with getting the job and getting your dream horse!:D

All Creatures Great And Small
11-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
(I can see S giving me "the look" from here! lol)

You mean this one?
image deleted

:D It's too bad the timing isn't right on those free horses, because this is putting the horse before the job, and I insist that Laura be able to foot ALL the bills for this horse, without having to rely on me as a backup. To me this is on a par with having children, and you really have to be financially sound and ready to make the 30 year commitment. Personally I feel she should wait until she's employed full time and done with school, because if she's in school and working part time, there won't be any time to be with the horse! The only reason I'll agree to horse ownership is that it won't be living here with us, unlike the dog she's begged for all these years or the rats that are emptying my pocketbook ;) :p .

zippy-kat
11-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
You mean this one?

That is the EXACT look I'm talking about! :D

Laura, two weeks ago I had myself talked out of the lil' bay arab. I can feel your excitement and it's giving me the horse bug baaadddd! lol

popcornbird
11-16-2003, 01:38 PM
If I could have any *dream* come true.........it would be to have a horse of my own! Laura you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky! I want a horse I want a horse I want a horse!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, our city doesn't allow pet horses though.......you have to live out in the country to have them. Even if they did allow them, its not like we would have any room to keep them in the city either! Those animals are HUGE!

I know if my brother knows about this, he'll be sooooooo jealous. He ADORES horses and wants to get one sometime in his life. Good luck on the horse quest! It would be so neat if you get one! :D

Desert Arabian
11-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Vermontcat

I noticed your birthday is coming up soon, a horse would be a great present!;)
Like Boscibo, I thought you might like to try a lease before owning a horse.
I know a lot of summer camps lease their horses when camp isn't is session. Does your camp do that?
I was wondering if you would be able to lease Jack or Spirit since you already know and love them.:)

Yes, indeed, my birthday is coming up! My parents would never consider getting me a horse for my birthday, yeah right, I wish.

I am considering leasing, it is just that I feel so odd about the fact that the horse would have two owners, and I would have to "share" the horse with another person, and I can't do everything I want to do with the horse, because I have to ask the other owner for permission, yada yada yada.

I do not think that Camp Anokijig leases out the horses, I would die if I could lease Jack or Spirit. I would looooooooove to do that. During the winter months there, the horses just roam the 300+ acres of land like wild horses. I would love to take care of Jack or Spirit over the winter months. The only thing is is that they are 1 1/2 hours away from me, that is too far, and I don't think I would be able to bring them down home here.

Mom and I did some calculations on the calculator, and all I know is that it is going to take me a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time until I have enough money to get a horse. At least 5 years according to our calculations, but knowing my luck it is probably more like 15 years. :( :( :( Oh well, I'll just keep on day dreaming until then. :D

Miss Meow
11-16-2003, 02:33 PM
YLL, even if it takes you five years, at least you are starting to plan for your dream now! What if you wait five years, then it would take you 10 ... and so on. Good luck :)

Desert Arabian
11-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
YLL, even if it takes you five years, at least you are starting to plan for your dream now! What if you wait five years, then it would take you 10 ... and so on. Good luck :)

:) Very true. :)