PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrr!

aly
11-15-2003, 07:53 PM
I'm upset. I was just at Petsmart with Reece and Lolly. A woman down the aisle from me said to her daughter, "Look at those scrappy dogs". I smiled at her and then turned away and she said, "I guess they are okay for some people... blech".

:(

Why do people have to say such idiotic things. I know she's just a dumb woman, but she still hurt my feelings. No, my dogs aren't purebred and yes, they're scruffy ... but they're not SCRAPPY!

I love them however scrappy, scruffy, scraggly they are.

Cincy'sMom
11-15-2003, 07:58 PM
When I hear "Scrappy" one of the first things I think of is Scooby Doo's nephew...and how many better dogs are there then Scooby and Scrappy?

I know it is hard not to take things personally, but she is just one dumb woman. And I'll take a scrappy dog anyday...they have more character :)

Amber
11-15-2003, 08:03 PM
I hear ya aly. Katie is a very scruffy dog and I get that all the time. I just ignore them because my dog is better than that.

Cookiebaker
11-15-2003, 08:03 PM
:( That would certainly hurt my feelings, too! :(

Reece & Lolly, you are two of the most special-ist puppers out there. Be sure & tell your Mom so, and help her to feel better!!! :)

K9karen
11-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Oh Aly..what the **** does she know? Ignorance is bliss for some people. Humpf! She should be so lucky to have such great sweeties! Does she know YOU'RE not "Some people?" If only she knew you...... ;)

aly
11-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Scrappy Doo says thanks for the nice comments everyone! :D

http://rescuedpaws.com///lollystairs2.jpg

Amber
11-15-2003, 08:12 PM
I love dogs with the scruffy look!! my number #1 favorite!!! Whose that scruffy face you wake up to?? REECE & LOLLY!!

KYS
11-15-2003, 08:21 PM
What can I say, the woman was an air head!
One of my favorite dogs was a little terrier poodle mix,
named scruffy.
My mother-in-law use to say she was so ugly/funny looking
it made her cute.
(Pissed me off!)
I thought she was the cutest little thing on this earth. :D

K9soul
11-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Where's the scrappy dogs? I look into those eyes and see as much beauty as in a best in show winner at Westminster! I feel sorry for people who only look at the surface. They must miss most of the beauty in life.

When Tasha was about 7-8 months old and in her more gangly leggy phase, an aquaintance said something like: "Tasha is too pretty a name for that ugly dog."

Needless to say, I was quite offended!

Smilla
11-15-2003, 08:27 PM
How lovely that she's teaching her daughter to be such a snot. It sounds as though you handled it very gracefully, but I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.

I've got the homeliest dog on the block and I'm glad for it. :) I love his white beard and paw, his big head, his weird stripes and gangly form. I wouldn't have him any other way.

primabella
11-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Oh wow what an intelligent woman she is. :rolleyes: I'm glad you're not taking what she said to heart. I know Mickey looks like just one huge poofball or like some ritzy dog but he burps and farts and stinks up the house. :p And I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

Give your scrappy dogs a hug from me! :D

popcornbird
11-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Scrappy? How mean! I think scruffy dogs are the cutest! Your's are certainly adorable! Just ignore her hurtful comments, and remember that everyone on PT loves your pups! :)

Smilla
11-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Geez, my dog burps all the time too! Our family has NEVER owned a burping dog; I didn't know what to make of it at first. The best thing is when he burps just as I'm bending down to give his snout a kiss--eau de biscuit! :eek:

RubyMutt
11-15-2003, 08:30 PM
If I ran into this sweet face at Pet Smart I'd probably try to sneak it into my kart and take the sweetie home!! :D

http://rescuedpaws.com///lollystairs2.jpg

Anyone who doesn't think Reece and Lolly are two little cuties has something SERIOUSLY wrong with them!

micki76
11-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Hmmm... When I was in Austin I was bored in the hotel room when Chester wouldn't let me sleep. There was a book about Austin in the nightstand, which I read cover to cover. One of the things they touted about the city was that it was the #1 most educated city in the US. Hmmphh. Blows that theory out of the water!

Some people are just snobs and nothing less than a perfectly coifed dog, child, wife, husband will do for them. They have to show the outside world how perfect and wonderful they are, because they really aren't and they're putting on an act.

Ignore and pity her that she feels so inferior and unworthy to own such wonderful, special dogs.

wolf_Q
11-15-2003, 09:41 PM
What a jerk! :mad: Reece and Lolly are ADORABLE!! I don't know how anyone could NOT love those faces! :D

I took Nebo to work with me on friday...I had him tied up in the grooming area. I had one person tell me "that husky sure looks funny shaved" (he's not shaved, he just has a short coat) and one lady say "Oh my gosh that dog sure is freaky looking...those eyes scare me!" :rolleyes:

Dogz
11-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Forget her. Your dogs are soooo cute! Like Cincy'sMom said, who can't resist Scooby and Scrappy Doo?:D (And Reece and Lolly too!)
:rolleyes: :p

Nomilynn
11-15-2003, 09:51 PM
I'm suprised you smiled.. I don't think I could have been that polite!!! :mad: Good for you for keeping control.. and remember.. if it weren't for Reece, I still wouldn't even like poodles!! :o :eek:

lovemyshiba
11-15-2003, 10:03 PM
What an idiot:rolleyes:

Reece and Lolly are gorgeous!!!

I can't believe you even smiled--people like that make me angry--I would have shot off my mouth for sure!!

It's very sad that she's teaching her daughter to be that way, poor kid doesn't have a chance.

Karen
11-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Ah, the poor woman, how narrow and sad her little world must be!

Scrappy is a compliment in my book - similar to fiesty, and describes character, not appearance. Feisty - that's the word the vet techs use when they mean "obnoxious, cranky" but they know I love my bunny, so ... ;) Scrappy is a perfect word for the snarling, growling monster Lolly can become when playing - honest, folks, I've seen it!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reese is such a snuggle-bug that, given the chance, he'd have stolen her heart in a minute - she'll never know what she's missing!

Smilla
11-16-2003, 07:18 AM
"Scrappy" is definitely a good thing in our household, as well--especially for my husband. When we were first talking about getting a dog, and I'd ask him what he had in mind, he'd often say "Oh, I don't know, something sort of scrappy-looking." We'd love to see scrappy little dogs pulling their owners along for a walk, or sticking their bushy little heads out the window of cars. Karen hits the nail right on the head in her post above; so does micki76.

We didn't get scrappiness in Lefty (he's part Greyhound, after all), but "homely" is just as good in our book. :)

tatsxxx11
11-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Hey Aly, get her address and I'll go over there and deck her!! Just kidding:D But honestly, what rock did this lady crawl out from under?? How rude and cruel! Not to mention, totally lacking in taste! I ADORE that scruffy look!!! I mean that! I still remember back in my early "dog days" jumping up and down at the sight of my first Border Terrier!:) I didn't know that such a cutie scruffy pup actually had a breed name!!:D Just ignore that silly person! Reece and Lolly are two of the MOST precious pups on the planet! Period!!:)

anna_66
11-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Some people:rolleyes:

Hey, Scrappy, Scruffy it doesn't matter...look at those eyes! How could you resist:D

primabella
11-16-2003, 08:31 AM
Oh my gosh that dog sure is freaky looking...those eyes scare me!"

Oh yeah they're dangerous, they can read your mind and can move things without him touching them. :rolleyes: Nebo has beautiful eyes and I think he is one of the most gorgeous Huskies I've ever seen.

Rio and Me
11-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Hey we all have a srcuffy dog!!!
my bro has a beardie x collie!!
even when groomed hes scruffy!!
but scruffy = cute!!!
Rios a short hair but she can be scruffy at times,he he he
Ky and rio

captain
11-16-2003, 08:20 PM
:mad: stupid ......... mutter, mutter ......:mad:

Let her live in her narrow minded, short sighted little world ........... WE ALL KNOW BETTER!

Crikit
11-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Well as the saying goes "stupid is as stupid does." and that sure sounded like a stupid comment to me. How anyone can say anything bad about Reeceman and Lolly is hard to believe, and if it wasn't for the fact that you're so far away I would be there in an instant to smite her ;)

dukedogsmom
11-16-2003, 08:44 PM
You should have asked her about her breeding history. Your dog probably has better.

Rottieluver45
11-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by aly

I love them however scrappy, scruffy, scraggly they are.

That`s all thatr matters!! I`m sure they love you too! Lolly and Reeecs are sooo cute! I like the scruffy look!

Sudilar
11-16-2003, 10:03 PM
I would be proud to be owned by two of the cutest pups, Reese and Lolly!!! That woman was just plain ignorant!!!

Rachel
11-17-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Karen

Scrappy is a compliment in my book - similar to fiesty, and describes character, not appearance.

That is what I was going to say. I'm sure I've used that word to describe some of our Dogs of the Day, and always as a compliment. To me it means having a lot of energy and willingness to persevere. A JRT would be the epidome of scrappy.

stacwase
11-17-2003, 06:27 AM
Your dogs are adorable!

I used to get hurt by people who said stuff like that, but now I defend myself against it by thinking something equally judgemental and snotty: "She obviously wasn't raised right!" "Her mother didn't teach her manners", "She must have psych. problems", etc. Makes me feel better!

Logan
11-17-2003, 07:25 AM
People never cease to amaze me with what comes out of their mouths! You would especially think that people in Petmart of all places, or the vet's office, would be fellow animal lovers and think that each and every one of them is beautiful!!!! I know I do!!! :) I don't think I've ever met a dog I didn't love and immediately adore!!!! :) I've never met Lolly and Reese in person, but I know I love them and we have many Pet Talkers who have met them in person and think they are wonderful! I just wish you had walked right up to her and told her about them, where they came from, etc. That would have shut her up! :mad:

Smilla
11-17-2003, 07:39 AM
That's what I thought too, Logan--that someone in a pet store would be a little more accepting, more kind, something. (Just because someone owns a dog doesn't automatically make them a dog lover or a nice person, I guess.)

lbaker
11-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Her comments aren't worth even shrugging shoulders over. I'm just impressed and so pleased how little Lolly is becoming so social! Hanging out at Petsmart with the big guys :D Imagine that! You GO Lolly girl, what a sweetie! YEAAAAA

ramanth
11-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Bah!! What does that witch of a woman know.... :mad: I love your scrappy pups!!!

Originally posted by wolf_Q
and one lady say "Oh my gosh that dog sure is freaky looking...those eyes scare me!" :rolleyes:
Kia sympathises. ;) :D

Amy, do people ask you why you have a wolf and risk bringing it to a place where people are?! :rolleyes: I just "love" ignorant people. :p ;)

Linda York
11-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Dog Snob!!! :mad: She obiviously has never had the love of a dog, Scuffy, Scrappy or not. It would be interesting to see just what kind of dog she has. But everyone is right her words and comments are no worth your hurt or time. You have the love of two great pups, that out weighs anything!! Your Reece and Lolly and the cutest babies. Whoever could look at those faces and say such a thing is obviously "lost".
You are lucky and loved, she is... well... herself, and has to live with that!
:D

ParNone
11-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Seems like a lot of people are into that crisp, neat coat look.
I get way more comments and compliments about Oz than
Murph and Maddie, but personally I think there's nothing cuter
than scruffy and shaggy. So I'm often puzzled by why Murph
and Maddie don't get as much attention from others as Oz does.
Oh well, each to their own I guess. I think that Reece and Lolly
are absolutely adorable. Who could not fall in love with those
cute lil' faces.

Par...

bunyfoofoo
11-21-2003, 12:41 AM
i think it is just rude to say thinga like that. how would they like it if they got their pet called names. i also like mix breeds. i think they have more of a personality. and scrappy doo is also really cute. i would also take it offensive but i would tell miself that thats just one persons opiion a lot of other people love mi animals (dogs in u case) no need to get upset over one dumb person being a snob.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-23-2003, 11:51 AM
I agree with everyone else! We all know how sweet Reece and Lolly are, how rude of that lady. Shame on her. :mad: :(

tuxluvr
12-07-2003, 07:26 PM
One of my favorite quips is

"Tis better to be thought of as ignorant than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

There is no doubt that woman is sadly mistaken, and I'd rather have ten "scrappy" dogs than be one snotty human!

Fiachra
12-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Too Bad for that woman as she obviously doesnt know true beauty!

bunyfoofoo
12-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Too Bad for that woman as she obviously doesnt know true beauty!

i agree