PDA

View Full Version : How long is a kitten a kitten?

Kirsten
11-15-2003, 09:31 AM
I mean, what exactly is the definition of "kitten"? Is it three months, 6 months or a year?

The cat food producers recommend to feed kitten food for 12 months, so I assume this is how long you can call a young cat a kitten?

Kirsten

sirrahbed
11-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Our vet says one year but I know some breeds (like Ragdolls) keep growing for up to two or more years. I am sure no expert though!!

Kirsten
11-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Two years!?! Well, I think Luna was still growing when she was more than a year old.

Kirsten

Barbara
11-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Most cats stop growing between 1 year and 1,5 years. Tigris has about the same weight he had at one year (am glad he didn't put up more ;)), Filou did not grow anymore after he was 1,5 years old. I would be careful with the kitten food.
As far as I know it is fatter than the normal cat food and most of our rotten spoiled Pet Talk kitties have rather a weight problem than the problem of starving :D whatever they tell you when you come home:p

catmandu
11-15-2003, 09:44 AM
My vets always use the one year mark , as at that age they are sexually mature. But the threads are right , and Ragdolls and Scottish fold mature later.Scrappy matured early , and tied to mount Pouncer , and then I had to have him neuterd, Before Pouncer did it for me!

Kirsten
11-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Speaking of being sexually mature, there are cats being pregnant at the age of 6 or seven months, and Luna has been spayed at the age of 5 months and was already close to ovolation.

BTW, I don't feed much kitten food anymore, I'm not sure if this is good or not. But I can't completely avoid that Luna is also eating from Lily's bowl, and since Luna has weight problems, there's no way I can allow her to eat kitten food.

Kirsten

Ramona
11-15-2003, 09:50 AM
How long is a kitten a kitten you ask?

Well, if they are anything like my Benjamin Eddy aka the Little Shitsky, then it would be forever, or, er, so far a year and a half. But I got my suspicions it will be longer, LOL!

RedHedd
11-15-2003, 11:37 AM
We think Mishi is a little over 2 years old, but he's still very kitten-like; albeit a HUGE 16 lb. "kitten" :rolleyes: He has grown since I got him so I suspect he was probably younger than they thought. I think (hope?) he's done growing - my apartment is not that big, although I love having the huge dude cavorting around - it keeps me entertained!

Enjoy their kitten-ness while it lasts. My Goldie was very kitten-like until she hit somewhere around 10-12 years old.