PDA

View Full Version : Adopt a Senior Pet Month

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-14-2003, 09:01 PM
Apparently it's Adopt a Senior Pet Month this month. I hadn't heard anything about it until I read an article about our local Humane Society. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(ASPCA) in New York is the group that says it's so.

They are touting the benefits of owning older pets such as the fact that they require far less supervison, have lower physical demand, less intense exercise needs (read energy levels) and make for fabulous melow lounge around the house companions.

The Hindsale Humane Society has two incentive programs for adopting older animals. The Friends for Life program allows seniors 65 and older to adopt an animal 6 years or older and have the adoption fee waived. in addition, anyone who adopts an animal 8 years or older receives a 50 percent reduction in the adoption fee.

I thought this was a great thing and thought I'd let you all know.

Now, if I could just adopt one of those seniors myself.......

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-14-2003, 10:45 PM
It's a tough decision, I would totally adopt a senior, but when you go, the puppies just suck you in! My adoptions when I get older will be seniors, I have always felt bad for them. I want to give them a better life because theirs is shorter, and shouldn't be spent in a shelter.

PayItForward
11-15-2003, 05:49 AM
What a good idea :D

Older pets have just as much love too give and deserve a home as much (if not more) than the cute kittens.

clara4457
11-15-2003, 06:54 AM
I think it is a great idea. I always tell people at the shelter who are looking for a pet the advantages of adopting an older animal, especially if they are not as physically active.

When I adopted Penny Lane, I wanted an older dog. I am not an ultra active person. I don't jog or bike or hike, so I knew I wanted a dog that would lay at my feet and get the greatest satisfaction in just being with me. Penny Lane fit the bill perfectly.:D