PDA

View Full Version : warning Creepy Crawly??

tikeyas_mom
11-14-2003, 08:06 PM
I was just curiouse as to WHY there is a Creepy Crawly Warning when ever there is a reptile or anphibian(sp?) as petoftheday, it seems a lil demeening (sp?) they cant help it?? I think they should have there pic in the lil icon thingy just like the dogs and cats, dont you??? I think they are just as cute ;)...

http://www.homesafe.com/manatee/homosassa%20snakes.jpg

magcpen
11-14-2003, 08:16 PM
I think they do that so people with severe phobias won't have a panic attack, like me with spiders, lol.

Kfamr
11-14-2003, 08:16 PM
I think it's a good warning! :eek: :eek:

tikeyas_mom
11-14-2003, 08:45 PM
well I think it is kinda mean.

Karen
11-14-2003, 09:16 PM
We do it because, as magcpen suggested, some people have severe phobias of certain creatures. We do not do it for all reptiles or amphibians, we only do it for snakes and spiders. And it is not at all meant to be demeaning, and in fact, I know some people who usually don;t go to Pet of the Day (people who generally just like dogs or cats) but DO go whenever there's a Creepy Crawly warning.

tikeyas_mom
11-14-2003, 09:18 PM
ok I understand.

CathyBogart
11-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
well I think it is kinda mean.

I agree, and thus I haven't sent in any of my pets. I would like to see Chubby up there though, so who knows...

I just got a PM on another forum from someone who asked me to change my avatar pic of Chubby because it makes them physically ill to look at. I was really hurt, but I changed it anyways... :(

Kfamr
11-14-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan

I just got a PM on another forum from someone who asked me to change my avatar pic of Chubby because it makes them physically ill to look at. I was really hurt, but I changed it anyways... :(

What the?!

I mean, I'm afraid of Rats, Spiders, Cockroaches, Snakes -- but I don't go around telling people to change their things which contain their pets, just because of it! :rolleyes: :eek:

In fact... I think PT has made me a little bit better with those sorts of creatures... Well.. Rats maybe, I don't know if i'd be able to touch one though. :p

CathyBogart
11-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Hehehe, that's ok, Fiona says she'll charm you from across the room inside her cage! She can tempt anyone into feeding her! :D :rolleyes:

Kfamr
11-14-2003, 10:46 PM
Can she catch a treat in her mouth? :p

CathyBogart
11-14-2003, 10:58 PM
That would be quite a trick. You'll have to teach her! :D

shais_mom
11-14-2003, 11:02 PM
I agree, I am not a BIG reptile lover but they have a place in this world and they were here long before I was and are going to be HERE long after I am.
But that is incredibly rude to ask you to change your avatar. Severe phobia I can understand but...... :(
I think that warning on POTD is fair and means well, but I don't have a phobia nor do I have a pet that it is implied for.

magcpen
11-14-2003, 11:04 PM
I agree, and thus I haven't sent in any of my pets. I would like to see Chubby up there though, so who knows...

That's awful!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: I mean... I understand the fear, but you can hardly SEE Chubby's.... er.... snake-iness in your Avatar. And, besides, although I'm not the biggest snake fan on earth, I think Chubby's kinda cute. ;)

tikeyas_mom
11-14-2003, 11:34 PM
I cant believe somone said that they got ill from looking at your avatar !! thats soo rude.

Tonya
11-15-2003, 11:44 AM
It is hard for me to grasp the idea of someone getting ill or upset over a simple snake picture. I'm trying to put myself in their shoes. I suppose it's similar to how sick I get over seeing pictures of gory stuff. -But it's still hard for me to understand.

Karen
11-15-2003, 12:02 PM

That makes me sad! They get their icon with the picture on the "previous pets page and everything, it's just on the homepage of Dog and Cat where Chubby wouldn't get her image. Shouldn't she get a chance to be honored as her sweet slithery self?

"Creepy crawly" isn't meant to be insulting ... do not human infants creep and crawl? And people usually think they're cute ...

Phobias can be hard for those of us without them to understand, but it doesn't make them any less real. We initially did not do the special icon for snakes and spiders, but we got emails from people very sadly asking if we could, because it made them afraid to visit the Dog of the Day or Cat of the Day site on the chance they might accidentally see an image of a snake/spider.

Twisterdog
11-15-2003, 11:13 PM
I personally think spiders and snakes are way cool. I have a snake, actually.

However, there are some things I don't necesarily want to see - like certain insects. I can't help it, it's just how I am. It's not like I'm intentionally out to hurt insect owners feelings or anything. So, I can understand people with snake/spider phobias a little better, I suppose.

wolf_Q
11-15-2003, 11:29 PM
I think the warning is kind of rude, but that's my opinion. People are well aware that snakes and spiders are kept as pets, so they should be aware that they could also be a PET of the day...

Usually from the small pic it's very easy to tell what kind of animal it is.

Desert Arabian
11-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I think the warning is kind of rude, but that's my opinion. People are well aware that snakes and spiders are kept as pets, so they should be aware that they could also be a PET of the day...

Agreed.

I would be very insulted if I sent in a picture of my beloved pet and they were labeled a "creepy crawly".

magcpen
11-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

Um.... it's the fact it's easy to tell what the animal is from the picture is WHY people get anxious. Because, as Karen says, it's people who DON'T go to Pet of the Day that don't want to be shocked by a potentially frightening animal.

wolf_Q
11-15-2003, 11:53 PM
So a little tiny thumbnail size image is going to frighten people?

If you can tell the image is a snake from a thumbnail size, it's simple enough to not click on it.

I guess I really cannot relate. I like snakes, but for the most part I'd prefer not to touch them. Spiders, they can stay completely away from me at all costs. But would I be frightened by an image? Not at all. But that's just me, I guess I just cannot relate to people with severe enough phobias to be frightened by a very small picture.

magcpen
11-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Yes, well, unfortunately, I do get frightened by even the smallest picture of a spider. I have to regulate my breathing just to stay calm, lol. You can imagine my reaction when, while looking at hermit crabs in a pet store, I realized that I was standing next to the tarantula cage.... kinda off topic there, lol. And a full sized picture of one.... enough to convince me that every tickle is a spider crawling up my leg/ in my hair.

P.S. No offence to the spider owners out there, I am sure they are great pets, and one post on the "Is there any pet you would NEVER want to have?" thread has proved that to me. However, I am scared to death of spiders, and all arachnids for that matter, that unfortuantely can't be helped.

Just saying I understand. :)

P.P.S. Sorry for the long post. ;)

CathyBogart
11-16-2003, 02:56 AM
I'm still thinking on it. I DO want to see her up there. Maybe I'll put a disclaimer in the writing that she is NO creepy crawly! :D :D

Edit: I'm phobic about Dalmatians, so let's put a warning on them too. ^_- (Seriously, I do get wierd around Dals. They're wonderful dogs I'm sure, but all the ones in my old neighborhood hated me, and loved showing how much they hated me.)

tikeyas_mom
11-16-2003, 03:30 AM
I'm still thinking on it. I DO want to see her up there. Maybe I'll put a disclaimer in the writing that she is NO creepy crawly! :D :D

Edit: I'm phobic about Dalmatians, so let's put a warning on them too. ^_- (Seriously, I do get wierd around Dals. They're wonderful dogs I'm sure, but all the ones in my old neighborhood hated me, and loved showing how much they hated me.)

hahahahahhaa!!!

honestly I get a lil creeped out when I see cats on catoftheday. I never read about them. I am scared of cats, I am even scared of my own cat!!! Why isnt there a (creepy crawly) warning on that?? Some ppl have really big fears of dogs and cats....

Tonya
11-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Some ppl have really big fears of dogs and cats....

I have a friend that goes hysterical around dogs. It's really sad. The first time I saw her do it, I thought she was joking or being lame. But I soon realized that this is a major fear to her.

RubyMutt
11-16-2003, 12:25 PM
In "real life" I am deathly afraid of spiders. However, I think that if I saw a icon of a tarantula on the computer I would probably be ok. Maybe get some chills, but at least I know it's not in the same room as me. I think it's great that there is a POTD so people can show of their unusual pets! :D Some people are very brave, I don't think I could share a home (voluntarily, I like to think there are no spiders in my house) with a huge spider.

Good point about people being afraid of dogs and cats. On Halloween night a boy came to my house and when I opened the door with Ruby by my side, he took one look at Ruby and started screaming bloody murder and went running back down to the street! :eek: I felt bad :(

Also, when my mom was growing up one of her friend's parents owned like 10 Boston terriers. I guess they were really mean dogs and whenever my mom went over to their house they would always be barking and biting at her! :eek: To this day my mom is terrified of Boston terriers. She knows they're not all are like that, but if she ever comes across one at the dog park or some other place she keeps a big distance from them.

popcornbird
11-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Believe it or not, I'm scared of dogs.........VERY scared of dogs. When we go for a walk, and I see one loose from a mile away, I will turn around and take another road. I'm *that* scared. :rolleyes: I wish I could get over my fear somehow. I'm not afraid of any of my neighbors' dogs at all.........because they know us, and I know them. They're very sweet and never *chase* anyone or anything. I'm not afraid of *calm* dogs that just walk around and don't chase people. Bring a dog that will chase me though..........and I scream and RUN. :o :o Silly me. :rolleyes:

As for the warning........I am afraid of snakes, but honestly, I do think the warning is insulting to the owners as well.:(

Amber
11-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
As for the warning........I am afraid of snakes, but honestly, I do think the warning is insulting to the owners as well.:(

Im afraid of snakes too, and I agree that it is a bit insulting for the owner.

magcpen
11-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Well, this thread has got me thinking.... maybe it would be better if there were only links and not thumbnail pictures on the other sites going to Pet/Cat/Dog of the Day so no one would be offended and no one would be scared. Just a thought..... :confused:

CathyBogart
11-16-2003, 02:24 PM
good idea! Maybe have a "Today's pet is a "_____" for people who don't want to see my baby girl. ^.^

Karen
11-16-2003, 02:26 PM
People can take a statement however they want. We do not intend it to be insulting, and this is the first time anyone has objected to it. As I have previously stated, it bring more people to the pages that have than might otherwise go - isn't that a good thing?

People who are afraid of cats or dogs do not write to me, nor do they visit the Pet of the Day website.

On your own website, you can put whatever you prefer, and I am sorry if anyone now finds the warning "offensive" - it is not intended to be, not at all, and I would hold anyone's snake or spider who would let me - I was a great dissappointment to boys on the playground in elementary school who would expect me to scream and run away when they approached me with a snake or bug in hand. I always asked to hold the critter, and made sure they weren't hurting it.

Cookiebaker
11-16-2003, 03:14 PM
I appreciate the "creepy crawly" warning. I HAVE to see the picture, but I appreciate the warning. That way it's not so startling. In fact, when I see the CC warning, I go there first!! :p

aly
11-16-2003, 03:33 PM
This site is called Pet Talk (PetoftheDay.com). What are the most common animals that pop into someone's head when they hear the word 'pet'? Dogs and cats. What are less common animals that pop into someone's head? Snakes and spiders. I can understand why Karen put the warning on because she was looking out for the people who emailed her with concerns.

Now I personally believe that any creature is lovely and I don't think of snakes or spiders as either creepy or crawly but I do understand that people have phobias. If someone has a dog or cat phobia, they most likely will not be typing in 'petoftheday.com', therefore no warning on dog and cat photos.

I do also understand not wanting to hurt the owner's feelings with the warning though. Maybe Karen could email them the day before their animal is POTD and explain why the warning is there. I'm sure thats much more work than Karen needs, but just a suggestion.

Bottom line is this is Karen and Paul's site and they do everything in their power to keep everyone happy, but there are always going to be a few who aren't happy. If you guys could meet Karen and Paul, you'd see how nice and non-offensive they are!

Twisterdog
11-16-2003, 03:56 PM
I guess I just cannot relate to people with severe enough phobias to be frightened by a very small picture.

But they do exist, and their fears are very valid to them. Even if we don't experience something, we should try to empathise with others who do. It is a kind and mature thing to do, IMO.

shais_mom
11-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
But they do exist, and their fears are very valid to them. Even if we don't experience something, we should try to empathise with others who do. It is a kind and mature thing to do, IMO.
I have to agree. Those of us who don't suffer from severe phobias do not understand the paralyzing fear people suffer from.
And I agree that no harm is being intended at all, and it is for the greater good of the viewers.
But however asking someone to change their avatar is by far ruder and meaner than just a creepy crawly warning.
I also think that until you walk a mile in a person's shoes...............
that means I/we shouldn't judge 1) another person feeling that the warning is rude. I don't think it is but I don't have any pets that are like what the warning is about. and 2) not understanding for the most part the 'phobia' that people have of different things be it flying, spiders, snakes, enclosed spaces or water etc. I don't know how they feel, so I don't know what would 'set them off'.
IMHO :)

Amber
11-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Is this the sign??

http://petoftheday.com/archive/1999/March/12p.jpg

CathyBogart
11-17-2003, 09:31 AM
That's the one. I have objected to it once before, so I know that this wasn't the first time. I did say that I might send her in anyways though. I dunno...

tikeyas_mom
11-17-2003, 09:50 AM
That's the one. I have objected to it once before, so I know that this wasn't the first time. I did say that I might send her in anyways though. I dunno...

you should :)

CathyBogart
11-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Ok ok. :P

Logan
11-17-2003, 11:09 AM
I appreciate the "Creepy Crawly" warning, personally, but I always come into the site through Pet of the Day, anyway, so it is a little too late for me by the time I see it! But you know what? I think it is a terrific idea. I wouldn't want a snake, spider, scorpion, etc as my own pet, but I appreciate the fact that others do have them as pets and enjoy them.

I can't imagine that a little warning would ever be offensive to anyone! I'm sure that the owners of these special pets have heard much worse from the general public!!

Karen, I think you do a terrific job and I fully support that warning! :)

popcornbird
11-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I appreciate the "Creepy Crawly" warning, personally, but I always come into the site through Pet of the Day, anyway, so it is a little too late for me by the time I see it!

Same here. I come to the site through Pet of the Day, so there's no warning for me! :D