PDA

View Full Version : Should I get birds? What kind?

stacwase
11-14-2003, 07:46 PM
My husband and I are considering getting pet birds. We're not sure yet. We don't know much about them at all, and we were hoping somebody could inform us.

We would like two or more sweet, pretty birds who sing. Maybe canaries? Finches?

We'd like birds who are fairly independent (ie as independent as a cat, not needy like a dog!). We have 2 cats and 2 dogs, so we don't really have the time to dedicate hours daily to socializing with the birds.

Don't worry - we could place the cage well out of the reach of cats.

So here are my questions:
- Do birds usually require a lot of veterinary care?
- Are they extremely sensitive to drafts? Our house is warm, but it does have some drafts.
- Exactly how sensitive to aromas are they? I've heard they're very sensitive. Does that mean they will get sick when my daughter comes downstairs wearing loads of Bath & Body Works perfume? What about burning lavender, etc.
- How long can birds be left alone? If we were to go on vacation would we have to get a bird sitter, or could somebody come and take care of them every other day or so?

I was considering hanging a large cage in front of the windows where we have our outdoor bird feederse.

Do you have any suggestions? What kind of bird would be good?

Logan
11-14-2003, 07:53 PM
My petsitter comes and checks on all our pets, 3 times per day, when we are on vacation (she comes 3 times because of our dogs). But, due to insurance reasons, we are not allowed to have the out of their cages (the birds, that is). Our petsitter carries liability insurance, but if our birds aren't caged, it doesn't cover her.

Our Cockatiels aren't demanding, but they prefer to be in our company. If you want a bird that doesn't need or want much attention, I would concentrate on finches, and even maybe research other birds that are not condusive to being handheld.

Good luck!

GoldenRetrLuver
11-14-2003, 07:59 PM
I think Finches would be your best choice. I would not recommend a cockatiel, or any other parrot because they NEED attention. With your cats, mine could care less about the bird. They don't bother Piper (my cockatiel), but love to watch him sing. :)

Good Luck! I'm sure PCB will be more of a help. ;)

tikeyas_mom
11-14-2003, 08:10 PM
budgies love to have company of other birds. they prefur company of other birds then a humans company. some ppl buy two or three and a huge cage, then they never clip their wings and let them be wild ...

others will but 1 bird at a time and tame them. if you tame a budgie you have to devote to being with it all the time..

CathyBogart
11-14-2003, 10:50 PM
They definitely do have sensitive respiratory systems, so non-stick pans, scented candles, incense, strong perfumes, are a no-no.

Green singing finches are a FABULOUS bird, but out of most people's price ranges. I personally love roller canaries as far as singing birds go. Many canaries and finches can cohabit too.

When you go on vacation I would have someone check them every day, if for no other reason than they tend to get their food into their water which can cause bacteria to build up very quickly.

I think as long as they were in a relatively draft-free area, perhaps with a nest-box to escape when they needed to, they'd be all right as far as drafts.

Small birds don't usually require a lot of veterinary care.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

popcornbird
11-15-2003, 02:16 AM
Some answers to your questions.............

My husband and I are considering getting pet birds. We're not sure yet. We don't know much about them at all, and we were hoping somebody could inform us.

We would like two or more sweet, pretty birds who sing. Maybe canaries? Finches?

We'd like birds who are fairly independent (ie as independent as a cat, not needy like a dog!). We have 2 cats and 2 dogs, so we don't really have the time to dedicate hours daily to socializing with the birds.

If you want birds that are independent and don't require human interaction, I guess finches or canaries would be a good choice. Parrots.........any kind, whether they are as small as parakeets or parrotlets, or big as macaws or cockatoos WILL need human interaction, or they won't be happy pets. Parrots are very much like dogs in so many ways. They're intelligent, playful, excellent at learning tricks, love humans, and want to be around humans and out of their cage much of the day. Although a parrot would probably bring more enjoyment to your household than a canary or finch........birds that like to be left alone mostly, if you don't have the time to spend/interact with them, I wouldn't recommend getting a parrot.

Don't worry - we could place the cage well out of the reach of cats.

So here are my questions:

Depends on the bird, really. You can easily go several years without a vet visit, though they do recommend yearly check ups. If a bird is sick though, its important, as with any pet, to get them to the vet right away.........however, birds normally aren't pets that will need to go to the vet all the time.

- Are they extremely sensitive to drafts? Our house is warm, but it does have some drafts.

You'll need to keep your birds away from drafts. I'm sure your house has draft-free areas. :p

- Exactly how sensitive to aromas are they? I've heard they're very sensitive. Does that mean they will get sick when my daughter comes downstairs wearing loads of Bath & Body Works perfume? What about burning lavender, etc.

Birds have sensitive respiratory systems..........much more sensitive than us, so things such as perfumes, chemicals, etc. that may not cause us harm, *can* be harmful to a bird. Its not like we don't use perfumes in the house. My brother often uses colon when he goes out, but *never* around the birds. Non-stick/teflon coated pans,etc. release a chemical called polytetrafluoroethelyne (PTFE) when heated to over 500 degrees. (they say it can be bad at even lower temperatures) This chemical is odorless, but can kill a bird in a matter of minutes. Its something all bird owners should be very careful about. Non-stick cookware should *NEVER* be used in the oven around birds.........because ovens heat to high temperatures. On the stove-top, the temperature is much less, so if you can get your birds as far from the kitchen as possible, it *might* be ok to use. Again, this depends on how big your house is. We do use non-stick pans......on the stovetop only, not in the oven.......but we have a double-story house and birdies go upstairs, locked in my room when we use them. Scented candles etc. are also a no no. Also, never self clean an oven around birds. If you must use the self cleaning feature on an oven, the birds should be taken as far from the kitchen as possible, to a room with the door closed and windows open.

- How long can birds be left alone? If we were to go on vacation would we have to get a bird sitter, or could somebody come and take care of them every other day or so?

We occasionally go for short weekend trips (go Saturday and come back Sunday) and leave the birds alone during that time. Its only one night........and that's the longest we've left them alone. If you give them enough food and water, they should be ok for up to 2 days alone, however, we never leave them alone for more than 1 night because they are parrots and need attention. They get very sad and upset without us. It might be a little different with finches or canaries.

When we go on long trips, we usually leave them with our friends (at their house). We could leave them home and have our friends come everyday to feed/play with them, but they need attention and we feel they'll get upset alone for that long, so we leave them at the house of our friends.

I was considering hanging a large cage in front of the windows where we have our outdoor bird feederse.

Do you have any suggestions? What kind of bird would be good?

I'm sure they would enjoy that! Remember, if you get any sort of parrot, they NEED their out-of-the-cage-time EVERY day, for long periods of time. My birds are out pretty much 99% of the time, and they do need to be out for exercise/human interaction. If you cannot do this, a finch/canary would be the best. I would advise against getting less than 2, because these birds are no where near as friendly or intelligent as parrots and need to have a companion of their own species. I hope this helps!

One more suggestions. Next time you go to Petco/Petsmart, be sure to get the magazine *Birds USA*, or Bird Talk........which is pretty much the same thing, except Birds USA is annual and Bird Talk monthly. They have great information/advice on bird choices as well as bird care. Good luck!

stacwase
11-15-2003, 04:36 AM
Thank you sooo much! I definitely think finches or canaries will be the way to go, if we decide to go ahead with it.

You were very, very helpful. Thanks again!

green_chameleon_girl
11-15-2003, 05:59 PM
I think you should get a parrotlet I dont know any pet talkers with parotlets

CathyBogart
11-16-2003, 02:55 AM
*Chuckles* Parrotlets are my first choice of bird. However, if you read stacwase's description of the bird they're looking for, a Parrotlet would probably not be the best choice.

Canaries are awesome birds! I was thinking about this thread while I watched ours at work today. ^.^

popcornbird
11-16-2003, 03:10 AM
I love parrotlets..........but they are parrots and need lots of attention.......so I wouldn't recommend them for Stacwase, since she said she wants an *independant* bird that doesn't need attention. If she wanted a small parrot.........I would recommend cockatiels or conures, but they require LOTS of attention. :D

Amber
11-16-2003, 09:00 AM
If you decide to get finches, I used to own 3. So if you have questions about them I'll be more than happy to help you! :D

stacwase
11-17-2003, 07:26 AM
Thanks, Amber! I'm actually trying to make my husband forget about getting birds, but if he insists then I will definitely pm you for some advice.

I like birds but pet care is so time consuming and we already have 4 pets! I don't think it would be a good idea to get birds at this point in time. We have hundreds of birds visiting the feeders right in front of our windows. I think I'll just enjoy them for now!

Twisterdog
11-20-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by stacwase So here are my questions:
- How long can birds be left alone? If we were to go on vacation would we have to get a bird sitter, or could somebody come and take care of them every other day or so?[/B]

No, they usually don't have to go to the vet much.

Depends on the species. Canaries are more sensitive to drafts than other small birds. A normal room, away from windows, is fine for most birds.

They are fairly sensitive. I wouldn't burn a scented candle or insense or clean with bleach right by their cage, that's for sure. However, some people become more than a little paranoid and manic about ANY scented things ANY where in their house. This is overkill, IMO. I burn candles, cook with teflon, etc., and I have ten birds. I just don't do these things in the same room the birds are in. I've never had a problem.

You can easily leave enough food out for them for several days. The problem is water. Birds tend to get food and feces in their water, as well as taking a bath in it and splashing it all out of the dish. If you can get a large, partially covered dish, and place it away from the food, they might be ok for several days. Be sure you test this before you actually leave them. My birds drink out of gerbil water bottles, MUCH better than open dishes.

Finches are nice little birds. They make nice noises, no shrieking and screaming. They are inexpensive, hardy and cute. They don't need human interaction, but they MUST be kept at least in a pair, they can't live alone. They mate for life and are very devoted. And, if you give them a nest box or any possible way to make a make-shift nest, they WILL lay eggs and attempt to hatch them. ALL the time. I just make sure my finches can't make a nest out of anything, and they will stop laying.

There are zebra finches, which come in several color varities. There are also society finches, which live very well with zebras. There are other types of finches for sale, but they are more expensive and harder to keep. Zebras and socities are best for beginnners.

Kater
11-20-2003, 02:20 AM
I've "owned" zebra finches and most recently a canary so if you do have more questions later feel free to ask. :)

Kater
11-20-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Canaries are awesome birds! I was thinking about this thread while I watched ours at work today. ^.^

I agree! Our Mele is the happiest little singer every morning and so *animated*! :D