PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected surprise

lhg0962
09-08-2000, 09:40 PM
I am perfectly comfortable and sometimes hassled in my household with a 9 year old daughter, 11 year old Mimi (cat), my partime cat who comes to eat twice a day (Thomas), two 1 year old Golden Retreiver ladies (Honey and Lilly), 2 hamsters (Phoebe, an escape artist, and Evelyn) and 4 hermit crabs that we never got around to naming. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif
This morning, Honey started barking like crazy and she couldn't even see outside, but since the windows were open, she must have heard or smelled something. I work at home, so I went out the front door to see what was causing the disturbance, and saw a solid black puppy at the end of my driveway. At first glance, he looked like a lab. I called to him and of course he came. I called every number I could find to figure out what to do with this baby. No tags, no collar, covered with ticks and fleas, and very hungry and thirsty. After having a disheartening conversation with the Humane Society, who could not promise that they wouldn't euthanize him, a voice mail at the Concerned Citizens for Animals (who never called back), I called my veterinarian, who needless to say, knows me very well. He suggested that I bring the puppy in to be checked over and that he would try and help me find a home for him. We went this afternoon. This four month old giant already weighs 31 pounds and is actually quite thin. Otherwise, he is in good health. He received all necessary shots and worming at a very reduced price. My vet said that he is a chow mix and estimates mature weight at 80-100 pounds. He admitted that I probably didn't need to try to keep this dog. After considering signs, ads, etc., I happened to be talking with a friend who has a big heart like me. He said he thought he might like to have that dog. Sight Unseen!!! He plans to come Sunday evening to visit with Dexter (my daughter's name for this baby) and unless there is some big change, he will adopt him!!! I am so delighted that I have probably already found a good loving home for this puppy. I knew this man was a good pet owner. When I met him in his place of business, he introduced me to his two cats that live in his store! He has two more at home, plus an elderly dog. Bless that baby's heart. He is so happy just to be with loving people and loves my other dogs already. He is asleep in the kitchen and very satisfied there. Don't you all wish it could be this easy everytime? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karen israel
09-12-2000, 12:51 PM
SO?? WHAT HAPPENED ON SUNDAY???? And what a sweetie you are for getting involved in the 1st place!! Bless your humane heart!! Your vet deserves a medal too (mine would do the same) and your friend gets a huge hug!!! Details please!!!!! Karen

lhg0962
09-12-2000, 05:29 PM
OK. Here's my update. The precious little boy, who Helen has named Dexter, is going on Friday to live with my friend, who has graciously offered to take him. He came to see him and immediately fell in love, but was concerned that the transition might be hard. Since I already have two other dogs, Dexter is perfectly happy to be with them this week. My friend wanted to make sure that he would be able to "bond" the first couple of days so he wants to take him at the beginning of a weekend! He was concerned about leaving him while he is at work. I was glad for that. I have bathed him and gotten him a new collar so he looks very handsome! Dexter has decided to sleep on the floor with Lilly by my bed everynight. Of course Honey shows her dominance by getting on the bed! Dexter has not wet the floor a single time. He is a good boy and was so in need of love. He needs to leave before I don't let him go! Thanks for your nice reply. Any of us who love animals would have done the same thing. I'll give you some periodic updates. We've been granted visitation rights. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

lhg0962
09-18-2000, 09:05 AM
Dexter is settled in his new home. He went on Saturday. I can't believe that I fell in love with him so quickly. Cried when he left. All in one week! He had been on his own so long that he didn't even really act like a puppy, but instead was very calm. We visited him on Sunday in his new surroundings and I feel wonderful about it. My daughter was able to take him outside and without the interference of our big golden retrievers, she threw the ball for him and he went straight for it and brought it back. I think he might have a little retreiver in him. His new master already loves him. I just wanted to report a good ending to this story!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karen israel
09-18-2000, 12:16 PM
Oh YAY! Dexter sounds like he is SO content in his new home. It always amazes me how they sense that only better things are going to happen to them. This has just put the BIGGEST smile on my face. I love happy endings -what a shame it doesn't always happen that way. You're pretty OK yourself for getting involved! Bless you too!! Big hugs for Dexter when you see him. I'll be he was thrilled to see you too!!!

RachelJ
09-20-2000, 09:24 AM
I have to add my congratulations to the participants in this wonderful story. I don't think your friend has to worry about any bonding issues. These strays who have experienced the hard knocks of life seem to be the most appreciative of any love and comfort given them. They seem to try extra hard to please and be good dogs. Thanks for sharing this "tail" which has a perfect ending. :-)

Sudilar
09-20-2000, 10:57 AM
Don't rescued dogs seem to know what you did for them and REALLY appreciate it? Congrats on being so wonderful to one who really needed someone.
Su

PomPal
09-22-2000, 11:48 PM
I cried when I read your sweet story about Dexter. I do Pomeranian rescue and know how sometimes placing a "favorite" can be hard. You are blessed. I hope this story can inspire someone else to reach out a hand for a lick! Best to ALL your babies and Dexter.

------------------

lhg0962
09-23-2000, 12:49 PM
Dexter's "dad" called last night. He wanted to let me know how my baby was doing. He said Dexter was asleep with his head on his new "dad's" foot. Mike says Dexter just wants to get as close to him as possible. They are very happy together. Thanks for all the kind words. What else could I have done? I'm just so lucky that someone I knew and trusted could take him.

horse_1987
09-27-2000, 03:44 PM
Your story really touched me. I am really strong on this topic, I hate (even though hate is such a strong word) people who would leave a small dog (or ANY ANIMAL) out to die. Animal crulity and abandonment is the one of the worst thing man kind could do. It is lower than low. Bless you lhg0962! I wish more people would stop to help a dying animal in need. Has anyone ever been to an animal shelter?
I number of animals in need there is disgusting!!

------------------

Horse_1987

jennifert
06-13-2002, 09:25 AM
Logan, I was reading through some of the older posts and came across this story of Dexter. I just wondered how he was doing? Are you still in contact with his owner? You know me, I love big black dogs!! I would love to hear how he is almost 2 years later and maybe even see some pictures?
I think all the Pet Talker should get together and get you a digital camera for Christmas! Or that Mother's Day present! You've got so many animals of your own as well as the rescues and transports you are involved in....You need a digital so we can see pictures on a daily basis!!!
If there is a more recent update of Dexter, let me know and I apologize.

:)

Logan
06-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Dexter is doing fine, Jennifer! He lives with my friend, Mike, and is very spoiled and very happy. He didn't turn out as big as Dr. Robinson at one time predicted, but he is a healthy, strong boy, and probably around 60 pounds or so. :D I haven't seen him in quite a while, but when I happened to mention the puppy to my friend, it was a match made in Heaven. :) There are some pictures of Dexter in my webshots album under the album entitled "Family and Friends". You will see his pictures that I took last summer.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lgivens4

Sudilar
06-13-2002, 09:53 AM
The update was great! I remember his story from way back when!! So glad he is in his happy forever home. I just love successful rescue stories. See, Logan, even way back then, you were making a difference. How many more dogs have been saved because of you since then!!!! Hundreds!!! You are an angel!!

jennifert
06-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Thanks Logan! Dexter is adorable! He looks like a bear!

Thank you for rescuing him and many thanks and good wishes to your friend Mike for giving him a home!