PDA

View Full Version : Soft Paws?

slleipnir
11-14-2003, 05:19 PM
Um. I was curious..Are soft paws (Can't remember the name..?) those cap like things you put on your cats claws? Do they actually keep your cat from destroying things does anyone know? And, can you get them in Canada? Anything anyone can tell me about it would be cool..Oh, and my mom has agreed to let me get Kiba. http://www.unavoidable.net/kittens/DCP_1360.JPG I'm wondering about soft paws because I've convinced my mom to let me try and train the kitten. If I can keep her from destroying things, then we have no problems. So, I remember the soft paws..Also, I'll scratching post train..is it hard/does it work? I think I'll be able to take Kiba home next week :D I'm really excited about it :) Although I'm worried about a lot of things...I'll have Kiba stay in my room with the door close so Smitten cant get use to her..and I'll be able to watch her. I just hope Smitten doesn't get really stressed over it...She's been introduced to another cat before thought..Anyway, I thought some of you would be happy to hear about my moms change of mind. I talked to the vet, and she said its better to try to train it before doing anything like that, so I guess thats what changed my moms mind. It took a HUGE pressure off my chest.

PayItForward
11-14-2003, 05:36 PM
I am so impressed/happy that you are going to try training your kitten. :D This has totally made my day. :D

With a scratching post, look for one which is as tall & study as you can afford, place it in the room the kitten will be in most.

I have trained two kittens of 6 weeks and 8 weeks to use a pole. Basically place the kitten next to the post and take their front paws in your hands and gently run the kittens paws down the post. You can even scratch your nails down it too, just to show them.

If the kitten starts to scratch elsewhere, just pick them up (no shouting) take them back to the post and scratch their paws again.

I know Noah's Mommy has soft paws on her furkids so I'll let her answer questions on those.

Uabassoon
11-14-2003, 05:41 PM
That's great news! I'm happy to hear your mom has agreed to let you try to train her first. My cats are great with using the scratching post, I don't think I've ever seen Corkscrew use anything else since I trained him. I like to put a little catnip on the scratching post and he seems to like it too, it encourages him to use it. When I was training him I'd give him a small treat everytime I would see him using the post. I also have a few of those cardboard (you can get them at Petsmart for like $8) scratching boxes around the apartment just in case he does feel like walking all the way to the living room. So far it works. Here's the link for soft paws. soft paws (http://www.softpaws.com/)

slleipnir
11-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the link, I remember looking at it before. I'm going to be around this kitten pretty much all the time, so I'm thinking if its possible to train, then I will.

The softpaws..its not unconfortable, is it?

PayItForward
11-14-2003, 06:04 PM
PS. Introducing 2 cats can range from very easy to very hard... the key phrase is slowly. I hope you have an easy introduction stage.

Keep your new kitten in a spare room or your bedroom, with scratching post ;) away from Mitten.

Ignore new kitten when Mitten is around, give Mitten loads of cuddles so she doesn't feel abandoned.

Enjoy your new baby and post trillians of photos as she will grow up so fast. :D

PayItForward
11-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
The softpaws..its not unconfortable, is it?
They just are stuck onto trimmed claws, no pain , they just drop of when the nails grow so much.

Oh, Try trimming her nails asap. I trim Bramble & Tigs Nails (As they have just started going outside) and George's as he is older and doesn't wear down his nails like the others.

It isn't hard, although it is so much easier to have someone else holding them, while you do it.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
With a scratching post, look for one which is as tall & study as you can afford, place it in the room the kitten will be in most.

And remember that the kitten will grow, so don't buy a kitten size post.

I've never trained a cat to use a post so I don't have much advice, but I know Eddie (Edwina's nemesis) likes the cardboard box thing that lays on the ground. I bought him one when I first got him and in a recent picture that Sara posted I noticed she had gotten him another one, so that might work also.

I think it's a good idea to keep her in your room away from Smitten until they can get used to each other. I'm so glad your mom agree to let you get her, and also agreed to let you try and train her rather than just taking automatically getting her declawed.

Oh, and have a spray bottle handy so if she does start to claw at anything else you can squirt her and give her the idea that she shouldn't be doing that.

I really don't think you'll have a problem because I believe if they are trained from when they are very young, they will prefer the post or the cardboard to anything else.

Also, you should start clipping her claws as soon as possible too, to get her familiar with that. You can ask the vet to show you how, and from what I understand, the best time to do it is when they're sleepy. Not when she's up and tearing around the room like a mad kitten. ;) :D

Good luck with it all, and she is such a cutie, so I hope be seeing lots and lots of pics of her! :D

slleipnir
11-14-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm so glad your mom agree to let you get her, and also agreed to let you try and train her rather than just taking automatically getting her declawed.

Believe me, no one is happier about it then me. I couldn't get this stupid uneasy feeling out of my gut. So I'm glad she agreed and I hope the kitten doesn't destroy everything like my sisters cat -__- She would use plants for a bathroom, ripped up the carpets, chewed buttons off the sofas..O.o Anyway, I won't let it happen with Kiba, I'll have lots of time to spend with her in training..Do you think it would upset Smitts if she knew the kitten was in my room with me? Like maybe she'd like I don't like her or something..But I don't want to leave the kitten alone either..and my mom works during the day..Anyway, Smittens never been overly affectionate..she likes being around you, but not cuddled or held. In the long run, for ppl who have had one cat for a few years, then get another, does the older cat enjoy company? I mean we're not always home and stuff. She doesn't seem to like anything like that though..erm..Patches, my sisters cat, use to annoy smitten I think..she never seemed like she liked Patches, but she could still be attached with her..right? Sorry for stupid questions..Smitten was my first and only cat. I just want both kittys to be happy ^___^

Oh, how long does it generally take? Like for an extra nervous cat? (She flipped out at the 'cat' in the TV stand for atleast a week maybe more..and that was her reflection!!! :X:X:X And how do I know when I can introduce them? I planned to put the kitten in the carrying case first..to make sure...Do you think 8wks is to young for a 5 yr old cat?? K sorry again -_- I'm done this time..

krazyaboutkatz
11-14-2003, 11:41 PM
I'm also glad to hear that your Mom is allowing you train the new kitten instead of making you delaw it.:) When the kitten gets older you may want to buy some catnip spray to use to spray the scratching post. I'm not sure how old a kitten needs to be in order to be affected by catnip. I use it and all 4 of my cats love it.:)
I hope the introductions will go well. Just take it very slowly. Good luck and I look forward to hearing and seeing more about your new kitten.

PayItForward
11-15-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Do you think it would upset Smitts if she knew the kitten Sorry for stupid questions..Smitten was my first and only cat. I just want both kittys to be happy ^___^

Oh, how long does it generally take? Like for an extra nervous cat? (She flipped out at the 'cat' in the TV stand for atleast a week maybe more..and that was her reflection!!! :X:X:X And how do I know when I can introduce them? I planned to put the kitten in the carrying case first..to make sure...Do you think 8wks is to young for a 5 yr old cat?? K sorry again -_- I'm done this time..
There ARE no stupid questions ;)

With a young kitten, I feel you can introduce them under supervision as soon as the kitten feels settled.) Maybe a couple of days)

(With an older cat we let them decide when they want to leave our cat room (spare room))

I would let you kitten settle in for a couple of days and then crack the door to your room a little to let both cats see each other.

Hopefully you'll be lucky like Kristen have have cuddling cats from the onset but I have found some hissing and bristling of the back is normal.

Try and stay calm and don't take sides and try not to interfer, they need to learn to get on.

Let them look at each other for 5 minutes after a couple of days and increase slowly.

I wouldn't let them interact while you are not there for at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer. Until you are positive they are getting on all the time.

Don't forget that it can take up to six months for a cat to settle completely but as Mittens is young, I'm sure she'll come around quickly.

Don't forget to post photos of your new furbaby asap. Are you keeping her name ?

PayItForward
11-15-2003, 05:03 AM
I found a couple of links which you might find useful.....

How to trim your cats claws
http://www.caws.org/catclaws.html

Softclaws website FAQ
http://www.softclaws.com/faqs.asp

How to train your cat to use a post
http://www.perfectpaws.com/scratch.html

catmandu
11-15-2003, 09:47 AM
The sad thing is that a kitten is going to scratch things up , it is because they have so much energy!An older Cats , even a year old has a lot of kittenish qualities , but is not so desructive!

slleipnir
11-15-2003, 10:05 AM
cat- I know she will scratch things, but hopefully I can train her not to after atleast a few months...shes only 8 weeks, or will be when I take her so she has lots of time to learn:)

amoore
11-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Thankyou for that tip ! I will ask the vet about that and see if he will do that for me ! That might just saved my tiny from death ! Your a life saver !:D I was at my wits end !:eek: