PDA

View Full Version : It is my least favorite day of the year

boscibo
11-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Abby has to go visit the vet today for her shots and checkup. *sigh*

I am already feeling uptight about it, to say she doesn't like to get into the carrier and go in the car is a great understatement. If she gets any suspicion about this, she will climb up under my boxspring and I won't see her until tonight.

The appointment is at 3:00, so my plan is to watch a movie from 12:30-2:30, that way she will be all relaxed on my lap and I should be able to pick her up and smoothly place her in the cat carrier. She's fine once she's at the vets, but the trip is so hard on both of us. She starts wailing loudly as soon as she is placed in the carrier, and does not stop until she is taken out.

I made the appointment for Friday, that way Jeff can take me out for a couple relaxing drinks tonight.

Please wish us luck...

Isis_7
11-14-2003, 11:06 AM
That sounds exactly like my Cody. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has to have a "strategy" to take the cats to the vet! :D

PayItForward
11-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Just a thought, does she get on well with either of your other kitties. If she does maybe you can take two of them to the vets to keep each other company.

I always take Bramble & Tigs ( in the same carrycase) to the vets together. As if I take one, they cry all the way, Bramble will try and grab my arm as I change gear... good fun while driving !!! But when they are together they are quiet.

All the best.. Hoping it goes better than you expect.

boscibo
11-14-2003, 11:41 AM
That is a good idea about bringing another cat, but Abby is my loner kitty. Maybe if I brought one of the dogs with? I used to bring Abby and Bo in at the same time (not in the same carrier), but Abby's wailing would get Bo upset too.

Maybe I'll bring Gandy with...it would be easier if Jeff were here, I hate taking the dogs out alone, in case anything happens.

I'm sure it will go well, I tend to worry a lot.

PayItForward
11-14-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by boscibo
I'm sure it will go well, I tend to worry a lot.
Same here :D

Good Luck and let us know how things go.

boscibo
11-14-2003, 04:01 PM
It went good...I don't know why I worry so much! She wailed the whole way out and back, it is hard to drive, but I took the back way home.

She didn't even need shots, but I got her microchipped and her bloodwork done. She's getting up there in age, too, but I don't expect any problems.

We're good now untl next year.

Kirsten
11-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Poor Abby girl!
I'm glad to hear it all went well! :)

Kirsten

PayItForward
11-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Hurrah, I raise my glass to Abby not going to the vets until next year :D

I'm glad everything went alright.

stacwase
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Today was Toby's day, too. Our strategy was to just do our usual thing all day long and not deviate from the routine. We also had to not think about the upcoming vet trip, so he wouldn't pick up on our vibes. Then while he was sleeping I gently picked him up and he was halfway in the carrier when he woke up. He howled all the way to the vet and howled the entire time he was there, until he saw Miss Kate. We were picking Miss Kate up from her spaying at the same time. After he saw her he was quiet as a mouse!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
and howled the entire time he was there, until he saw Miss Kate. We were picking Miss Kate up from her spaying at the same time. After he saw her he was quiet as a mouse!

:D :D Couldn't let his little sister see him being such a big baby, eh? That is too cute. :D

Boscibo, I'm glad everything went well for Abby. She's such a cutie that I hate to think of her all upset, but it sounds like it wasn't too bad. I'm glad she's back home safe and sound and can rest in peace now. :)

CatDad
11-14-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Isis_7
That sounds exactly like my Cody. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has to have a "strategy" to take the cats to the vet! :D
No there are more of us I have to plan on how I am going to get Joey into the carrier. I am really happy that Bob is not a problem.

I think that Tubby & Peanut's Mom correct, he just could not let his little sister see him cry. How cute.

I am glad to hear that you got them both to and home from the vet safe and sound.:)

cubby31682
11-14-2003, 10:14 PM
I'm glad everything went ok.

Everytime I try to get Cubby while he is sleeping to put him in his 'Cat Jail' he fights more for waking him up than he does when I just grab him a shove him in there. That's the only way I can get him in. After I get his head and 2 front paws in he will give up and move the rest of his back end in. Of course when I am walking down the 3 flights of stairs with him in his carrier, he keeps moving around. At one point I almost dropped him so I handed him over to hubby. He has learned that the vet is only a block away so he doesn't cry anymore. The other vet I went to was 30 to 45 minutes away and he would cry the whole way there. Then I would start getting teary eyed from it as well. Knowing how mad he was and that he didn't know what was going on just melted my heart.

Katie

Randi
11-15-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm glad it went well! :) Was she busy washing herself to get the vet smell off, when she got back?

I/we tend to worry too, when Fister has to go somewhere, but doing your usual routine and get him while he sleeps is the best way. Of course, when they have to go, they tend to be wide awake. :rolleyes:

Another year to go! :D