PDA

View Full Version : Girl or Guy friends?

G.P.girl
11-14-2003, 09:03 AM
do you have mostly girl freinds or guyfriends that you hang out with? i have mostly guy friends because i think the girls at my school are to in to who's popular and who's not and who's pretty and who's not. it gets really annoying. plus being on the football team i can't help but have guy friends. so pick if you are a boy or girl and pick what friends you mostly have.

2kitties
11-14-2003, 09:34 AM
I'm a girlfriend girl. Always have been. I love to shop and have girl talk. I am certain at this point I will never grow out of it.

micki76
11-14-2003, 09:51 AM
My best friend is a man. His wife is extremely jealous of our friendship, but she has no life outside of him and should get out and get one. :rolleyes: My husband’s best friend is a woman, so obviously he and I are comfortable with each other’s choices with friendships.

I have always had more male friends, even since I was about 5 or 6. I just get along better with males. Not that all women are drama queens, but I find that generally men are more straight forward in almost everything. I relate much better to men and their way of thinking and have been told my entire life that I tick like a male.

Barbara
11-14-2003, 10:10 AM
I have both: guy friends and girl friends. It was always like that:)

slick
11-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by micki76
My best friend is a man. His wife is extremely jealous of our friendship, but she has no life outside of him and should get out and get one. :rolleyes:
I here ya!! I used to have guy friends who were married, but all I got was grief from the wives because I'm single and they all thought I was after their husbands.

So now I stick to women (for friends, that is...)

2kitties
11-14-2003, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure how I would feel if my husband's best friend were a woman. I'd like to think I could handle it, but I feel certain my jealousy would come out that he could feel so close to another woman. Maybe if it were a woman he'd known for years. But I def. wouldn't be happy if he went out and made a new best friend who was female.

Soledad
11-14-2003, 10:33 AM
I like friends who are funny, smart and unique. I don't really give a crap what their gender is.:rolleyes:

ILoveReptiles
11-14-2003, 10:38 AM
I personally prefer the friendship of guys - but I have a few girl-friends who are way cool.

Most chicks are downright catty though. I have no tolerance for that.

Cataholic
11-14-2003, 11:22 AM
UGH. I can't help but get irritated about this topic...not that it was posted, but, this topic has always been an issue for me.

I have friends that are both genders. I don't necessarily feel more comfortable with one vs. the other, on whole. I have always enjoyed PEOPLE.

I don't find myself 'catty', or non-straight forward. I tend to hang out with people that are like me...so, maybe it isn't so much that most women are XYZ, but, more most women YOU associate with are XZY.

And, I don't know how I would feel if my SO was 'best friends' with a woman. Good friends? Close Friends? Sure...'best' friends? In my ideal world, I would be his 'best' friend....maybe it is just semantical....I don't know.

I don't think ANY of my close woman friends care/are jealous of my relationships with thier mates. In fact...some of them prolly like that I hang out with 'him'...gets him out of her hair! Seriously, while I might have started out friends with 'him', when she came along, the relationship naturally grew to include her. It wasn't an either/or situation, but, more of INCLUSIVE thing.

Soledad
11-14-2003, 11:30 AM
I gotta say, the only people I really make a point to steer clear of are the chicks who say "I don't like having female friends." In my experience that has been a big, giant, red flag for "I'm really insecure around females and must have male attention with zero competition."

No thank you! :rolleyes: :p

Also, my husband has far more female friends than male. Do I care? Not at all. What I DO care about are women who are competing to have more intimacy (not necessarily sexual) than I do with my own husband. I don't think any healthy marriage can allow that and I don't think it's wrong for a partner to speak up if they feel that is being threatened.

2kitties
11-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Here is something I do take seriously: We have our "couple" friends and that is healthy, fun and necessary for us. BUT, I think it is soooo important that we also have "non-couple" friends. I have women with whom I enjoy things outside of a doubledate situation. As does he.
Having interests and friends outside the relationship is good for us. Not sure if it is good for everyone, but it is imperitive for us. I also take vacations with my girlfriends on a regular basis.
We've talked about how important it is for both of us and I'm very happy about that.

Cataholic
11-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
I gotta say, the only people I really make a point to steer clear of are the chicks who say "I don't like having female friends." In my experience that has been a big, giant, red flag for "I'm really insecure around females and must have male attention with zero competition."

I must admit this is my feeling as well. I don't think I could have said it any better than had I written it myself.

popcornbird
11-14-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm a girl with all girl friends. I feel there's so much more in common between me and other girls, and I love to be able to talk *girl talk* with no guys around...............something I *need* to do with my friends because I have no sisters to talk *girl talk* with. He he he

I don't exactly feel comfortable around the opposite gender either. I would never be *alone* with a guy that's not related to me...........but that's just me. I like having girls as friends.

Toby's my baby
11-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Im pretty much inbetween because at my school EVERYBODY knows EVERYBODY . We only have 1 kindergarden class of 13, 1 1st grade class of 6, ect. I know a lot of girls and also a lot of guys ( it's hard not to:D )

Logan
11-14-2003, 01:01 PM
I imagine that age has a lot to do with the answer to this question.

I want my daughter to have boy "friends", not boyfriends! :o And she does. I'm so glad about that.

I have had many male friends in my life, especially when I was single. Not date type male friends, but just good friends who were only that. We could go places together, do things like eat dinner out, go to the movies, etc, pay our own way, with no expectation other than companionship. All of us were single too, which makes a huge difference. That is healthy, I think. I can understand a wife or husband being jealous over their spouses relationship with someone of the opposite sex. . But since I've been married, things have changed. I still keep in touch with those people by email or phone on occasion, but I appreciate the way that they have stepped back out of respect for my husband. I would want his female friends to do the same thing.

micki76
11-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I don't find myself 'catty', or non-straight forward. I tend to hang out with people that are like me...so, maybe it isn't so much that most women are XYZ, but, more most women YOU associate with are XZY.

All I meant was that men in general are more open to speaking their mind and not worrying about hurting your feelings or saying something so PC that you can't figure out what the heck they mean. MANY women have this ability as well, and they are the women that I have for friends.

I have some women friends, but I am NOT a shopper or a make up buyer. Unlike 2kitties, I don't like to do "girlie" things and I dislike girltalk. Men and women like myself just suit my personality better. I simply encounter more men that I agree with/get along with than women.

2kitties
11-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by micki76
All I meant was that men in general are more open to speaking their mind and not worrying about hurting your feelings or saying something so PC that you can't figure out what the heck they mean.

*giggles* clearly you haven't noticed all the people in the dog house I've managed to piss off! ;) PC is not my virtue. But I'm working on it:)

Soledad
11-14-2003, 01:50 PM
I'm girly and definitely not PC (Patriotically Correct, that is).

RICHARD
11-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I tend to hang out with people that are like me...so, maybe it isn't so much that most women are XYZ, but, more most women YOU associate with are XZY.

psst...

just wanted to let you know there is no 'Z' gene out there

girls are XX, boys are XY.......what's XYZ????

;)

CamCamPup33
11-14-2003, 02:16 PM
I do tend to get along better with guys, seeings that i have more guy friends than girls.. Its not that i pick one or the other, i just feel more comfortable around guys because they (to me) are the easiest to talk to about things.. My 'close best friends' are girls but i have alot of really close guy friends too.. Guys you can talk about anything and most 'close' friends tell you the truth.. Even though im such a girly girl and am usually expected to have all girly girl friends, alot of my friends are guys.. They are like big brothers!

:p

2kitties
11-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Don't eveybody jump on me at once for the upcoming stereotype. It is a stereotype, but has proved to be true in my experience.

I have a few gay men friends and I absolutely LOVE to hang out with them. We have such a good time, and they are great friends.

micki76
11-14-2003, 02:20 PM
I'm girly and definitely not PC (Patriotically Correct, that is).

Never said that you couldn't be non PC and girlie. :D

PJ's Mom
11-14-2003, 02:22 PM
I'm a girl with guy friends. :)

ramanth
11-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Couldn't vote because it's equal. I have guys I hang out with and I have girls I hang out with. Usually we are always together as a group.

CamCamPup33
11-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
I have a few gay men friends and I absolutely LOVE to hang out with them. We have such a good time, and they are great friends.

I agree with you there! :D My sisters friend is gay, he is SUCH a blast to hang out with.. I want to meet a gay guy when i go away to college, i plan on getting my own apartment so i want it to be like will and grace.. Have him as my roommate!

:o :D

2kitties
11-14-2003, 02:30 PM
And there is no better dancing than the dancing at the gay bars.

micki76
11-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Yeah, but that’s cause they usually play the best music there. I enjoy the bars when I go with my gay friends. :D

primabella
11-14-2003, 03:44 PM
I have more girl friends but I prefer to hang around with these guys than with a few girls. My best friends are 2 guys and a girl. It doesn't mean that I prefer one over the other it just so happens that two of my best friends are guys.

One of my friend's is gay but he has a terrible attitude problem and I hate hanging around with him. He also describes the gay clubs he goes to and makes it seem like the dirtiest place ever. But that's just him and he likes attention. :p

wolfsoul
11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
I have more girl friends than guys. I guess I'm just not as comfortable with guys, I don't know. I'm not fond of the "girl talk." :p I don't talk about boys or makeup or talk on the phone all that often...

Dogz
11-14-2003, 05:08 PM
I like hanging out with both.:)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-14-2003, 05:39 PM
I have mostly guy friends. I'm not a "girly girl", and I'm really not into "girl talk" or talking on the phone either. :p But, I do have girl friends. One of my guy friends is gay and he's just a BLAST to hang out with! :D That's probably one of the few things I like about my high school...they don't discriminate whether you're gay or not. :)

G.P.girl
11-14-2003, 05:45 PM

hmmmmmm....is that a hint?;) i like girlsfriendsjust i don't like cat fights and stuff but sometimes i get lonely for girltalk and i do have girlfreinds just i don't hang around them that much.

that's so tru i think it's because they have the qualities of a guy but there's not that sexual tension thats usually there. maybe i just kow they are alot of fun!:)

CathyBogart
11-14-2003, 10:14 PM
I'm a girl with mostly guy friends. I've found in the past that something almost always happens between myself and any girl friend that I get close to. (I.E. They randomly go psychotic and shove me out of their life over something trivial_

I have a few long-standing female friends, and I'm open to making more, I just find that us gamer/action movie/geek/car-loving/shopping-hating girls maky guy friends more easily.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with "male attention". My friends are just that - Friends. We watch TV, play first person shooter games, blow each other up, and go to Hockey games. (Since my fiancee hates sports)

Tonya
11-14-2003, 10:53 PM
I have both, but my guy friends tend to stick around longer.

Kfamr
11-14-2003, 10:55 PM
I have girl and guy friends. Only two of my girl friends I can *really* trust though -- I love them all, but those two are the ones I know fore sure won't blab anything out.

tikeyas_mom
11-15-2003, 12:26 AM
well I have alot of aquatences, mostly gurls, but some guys too.

I only have a few close friends snd they are all gurls. I didnt vote. .. I didnt know what to choose lol

CatDad
11-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Dogz
I like hanging out with both.:)
I like this answer.

I thought back and really I don't have a predomince of either girl or guy friends. I generally hang out with people that I connect with in some way. If that is a girl or guy doesn't really matter to me. That being said I am sure that I have more of one then the other, I mean it can't be completly equal. It just does not matter to me.:p

Sorry, guess I am just a little wierd that way.:)

Dogz
11-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by CatDad

Sorry, guess I am just a little wierd that way.:)

I guess I'm weird too.:p

Foam
11-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Both. I have many guy friends, and many girl friends. I think I have a bit more guy friends though, because I meet them through sports. =)

Forgot to add that I'm NO girly girl. I hate talking on the phone, and going shopping with people other than my mom or sisters.
I would much rather go to the basketball court on a Friday night with a true competator friend (girl or guy, doesn't matter) and get all sweaty and dirty. =P Only problem is that none of my best girl friends play sports. It's always my guy friends, and they all play basketball! Wa hoo. =)

CathyBogart
11-16-2003, 02:52 AM
That's another thing I can't stand...talking on the phone! My calls tend to consist of: "Where are you?" "Want to do something?" "okay".

Why do people think I want to hear them ramble at me over the phone when I'm going to see them the next day anyways?

popcornbird
11-16-2003, 03:03 AM
I don't like talking on the phone. :o Not that much anyway. My friends call me, and want to blabber for hours..........but me...........yes.......no........um.............*t hinking what to say*...........I have to go........bye. LOL! I just can't seem to think of anything to say! Occasionally we will have a long conversation if I'm in a real talking mood, but if I'm not..........I just cannot think of anything to say! It gets frustrating, because they want to talk, and I *want* to talk too.........but when there's nothing say and it gets pointless, I want to hang up and feel rude to say so, so I keep listening to the friend until she eventually gets bored and says SHE has to go. *sigh* When will I learn to talk on the phone? :rolleyes:

I like talking to friends in person..........or on MSN IM. On the phone, I run out of things to say. Chatting on the internet...........somehow I keep going.....for hours at a time. :o :o When my friends come over, I talk to them a lot as well. I just can't manage to keep talking on the phone though. I guess that's just me. :cool:

binka_nugget
11-16-2003, 07:56 PM
I prefer hanging out with guy friends but I have more girl friends. However, if the girl isn't "girly" like most are at my age, then that'd be fine as well. I just don't care for makeup, phone calls, talking about boys and all that stuff. Most of my close girl friends aren't girly so we get along really well. We burp, double dip and do all that stuff together lol.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
We burp, double dip and do all that stuff together lol.

LMAO! You don't know how hard I laughed when I read that! :p
I can't seem to talk on the phone either....it's just...not me. :p I prefer chatting online or talking in person. The only person I will *stand* talking on the phone with is one of girl friends. She's a "dog nut" like me, so we get along. ;):p

Foam
11-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Heheheh. I can't talk when someone is over at my house...especially girls! If a guy is over, I can talk no problems, but if it's a girl...neh. =P

iceyshiver21
11-19-2003, 06:38 PM
My friends-

Female- Jenny(whose is a guy, just lacking thee essentails), and kels (manly but not completly a guy)

Male- Darren, Boggie, Shawn, Tweeky, Austin, Aaron, justin, ross, scotty, scott, alex, Robbie, josh, jace, jared, joshua, chad, travis, vince, nate, sqweek, derek, jermey, mike, joel, chet, and steve.

My online friends tend to be more on the female side though.

I used to have more female friends but I kinda of lost all my good female friends around 8th not that I had many but when they got to high school we kinda "seperated", we still talk but just not as much.

The only color we paint our nails is black, including some of the guys, we sit around at each others basments playing car games(they rock), we are incerdibly weird, such as murdering shawdows with flashlights, waterfights, name plants in austins house, have invisable friends, sopport each other, and cry with each other, and host the next best thing to the westling thats real. The thing I love about guys is that they always smell so good!!

Austin and me(we were playing dodge ball with a basketball)-
http://www.geocities.com/keet0021/DSC00278.JPG

Me and Darren(after our burping contest)-
http://www.geocities.com/keet021/darrenandme.jpg

Those two are like my brothers.

Foam
11-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Icey, one of my best male friend's names is Darren! =)
Unfortunetley, I can't see your pictures. =(

Rio and Me
11-20-2003, 04:30 AM
I have a few really close girlfriends and and few not so close!!
i jave a gay best guy friend!! and lots a close guy mates!!!
both are best for me!! and a boyfriend who is a best friend too and is not jelous of other friends!!!
Ky and Rio

cloverfdx
12-16-2003, 09:38 AM
Chick friends mostly :) not that it bothers me one bit ;) i love hanging out with my girl "Friends",i am going clubbing with them tonight :D its "Jolly jugs" night at one of the pubs.

the only male friends i have are from our dog club or they are more feminine than i am lol (they are just one of the girls)

iceyshiver21
12-16-2003, 11:47 AM
grr... stupid pics. Well here they are
Darren and me-
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p94d7084a7ffcc05740a41b0a3014b283/fa485664.jpg
Austin and me-
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p6b0647b4e87d1b7a81a6a2055c56c012/fa485660.jpg

tikeyas_mom
12-16-2003, 11:47 PM
i have a couple gurl friends right now :) alot of people i say hi to in the halls. But i also have a couple guy friends, they dont live around here though.

Twisterdog
12-17-2003, 12:03 AM
I have both. I don't care. I like nice, sincere, funny people that share the same interests I do. I don't care if they are male or female, hetrosexual or homosexual.

I do want to say, however, that I was a bit disturbed reading this thread. I saw some pretty outdated stereotypes thrown around - girls like to talk on the phone about makeup and boys and shop a lot. And a "girly" girl is a bad thing to be.

I also noted that it was women saying these things, for the most part. That is particularly sad to me. If a group of men would have been commenting about silly girly girls painting their nails, talking on the phone and shopping, we would have jumped all over them, and rightfully so. But, here is a group of women, cutting our gender down to the bone. Sad. This isn't a healthy attitude, IMO, and not a climate to raise our daughters in. Are we saying, "If you act like a guy, that's cool. But if you act like a "girly" girl, then that is bad and women aren't going to like you." Hmmmmm..........

CathyBogart
12-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
This isn't a healthy attitude, IMO, and not a climate to raise our daughters in.

Then I'll continue to be a geeky, drag-racing, snake loving, baggy-pants-wearing tomboy, and not have any daughters (or sons) to corrupt with my 'unhealthy attitude'. :D

Seriously though, my impression of many of the girls I meet around campus or through my friends is just unattractive to me. one of my girl friends used to call me and want to talk for hours about one movie, or gossip about people. :rolleyes: I don't know her anymore...because she tried to seduce my fiancee. I trust him 100%, but I find that I can't trust someone who would try to take him from me.