PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Cat Pee from Carpets ????

sqwelch
11-14-2003, 04:52 AM
Hi there

I'm probably asking a very old, frequently asked question but do any of you have any tips on removing cat pee from carpets ??? Remember I'm in Scotland so I might not be able to purchase some of your brand recommendations but are there any old wives tales out there ???

Any help, greatly appreciated ;)

(ps I think I remembered something about white vinegar and lemon juice but I might be going crazy !!)

ChrisH
11-14-2003, 07:19 AM
I don`t have any old wives tales :) but here is something from a book called Caring for your Cat, written by Angela Gair in association with The Cats Protection.

Areas in which a cat sprays should be thouroughly cleaned to prevent `top-up` spraying as the scent weakens. Never use cleaning products containing ammonia or chlorine as both of these compounds are constituents of cat urine and the cat may perceive them as a rival marker and deliberately respray in response. The best cleaning agent is a warm solution of biological washing powder, which will digest protein in the urine. Rinse and allow to dry, then (assuming we are not talking about antique furniture) wipe or spray with alcohol, such as surgical spirit.

As for products, one which worked well with removal, when Ebby peed on the carpet one time, was Johnsons Carpet Stain Clear. But how it works for non return peeing I don`t know because I solved the original reason for her doing it (bought her an enclosed litter box :)).

Chris

ganime
11-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Try putting some vinegar in the area, it will stink vinegar for a time but it helps. Good luck

sqwelch
11-14-2003, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChrisH

Areas in which a cat sprays should be thouroughly cleaned to prevent `top-up` spraying as the scent weakens. Never use cleaning products containing ammonia or chlorine as both of these compounds are constituents of cat urine and the cat may perceive them as a rival marker and deliberately respray in response. [B]The best cleaning agent is a warm solution of biological washing powder, which will digest protein in the urine. Rinse and allow to dry, then (assuming we are not talking about antique furniture) wipe or spray with alcohol, such as surgical spirit.

Would surgical spirit not take the colour out of a carpet ???

sqwelch
11-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ganime
Try putting some vinegar in the area, it will stink vinegar for a time but it helps. Good luck

I'll try anything, I can put up with the smell of vinegar, its better than cat pee !!!!!!!!

Edwina's Secretary
11-14-2003, 10:03 AM
I realize it may not be available in Scotland....but I'll mention it nonetheless.

I use a product called Wineaway. It is intended for removing wine stains and is FABULOUS for that (just ask my husband who once broke a bottle of red wine on the light yellow carpet!) It has a lemony smell -- cats do NOT like lemon smell.

It is important to soak the carpet to get all the pee out!

sqwelch
11-14-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I realize it may not be available in Scotland....but I'll mention it nonetheless.

I use a product called Wineaway. It is intended for removing wine stains and is FABULOUS for that (just ask my husband who once broke a bottle of red wine on the light yellow carpet!) It has a lemony smell -- cats do NOT like lemon smell.

It is important to soak the carpet to get all the pee out!

Oooohhh that sounds good, I'll have a look in my local supermarket, probably won't be able to get the same brand but I'll look at all the stain removers to see if there's a lemony one !!!
Great idea, thanks !!!

sirrahbed
11-14-2003, 10:10 AM
Oh wow, we have been through THIS and I am sorry for you. A big help is to soak up as much of the urine as possible before treating it - by using towels over and over and stepping on the area to draw up as much pee as possible. I used regular towels I could wash and then paper towels until they were no longer picking up liquid- easy to tell with the paper. Then I got out a product we have here called "Outright" - essentially it is a bacterial enzyme that you dilute with water and wet the area. Something in it works with the bacteria to chemically change the odor producing bacteria and if you know where the area is - it works very well! Maybe you can find something similar if you read lables??

wolfsoul
11-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Try soaking it in baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide. :)

sqwelch
11-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Oh wow, we have been through THIS and I am sorry for you.

Och its no big deal, Bonnie is about 7 1/2 - 8 years old and we go through this palava every few months, nothing medical just behavourial, you get used to it. I've been putting down wooden floors room by room and my living room is the only carpet left, thought perhaps it might stop when her brother passed away but it hasn't :confused:

sirrahbed
11-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Bonnie never goes on the wooden floors?? Hope not!!

We had two geriatrics that finally destroyed ALL of our carpets and I felt terrible. After the last one died, we spluregd and got all new carpeting. Now we have kittens (2 of them) for 9 months now and no accidents!. YEAH!! I know the day will come when they are old but I would like to enjoy the new carpets for awhile! Going to all wooden floors is a good idea but it was ao expensive!! Beautiful though!!

sqwelch
11-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Boonie never goes on the wooden floors?? Hope not!!

No, never wooden floors but you have to be careful what rugs you buy !!! The minds of cats are a wonder !!!

K & L
11-14-2003, 10:24 AM
We removed the carpet!:D :D We tried everything so we opted for flooring instead!

sqwelch
11-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by K & L
We removed the carpet!:D :D We tried everything so we opted for flooring instead!

The things we put up with for the love of our furkids, I know there are a lot of people who consider us mad but long term its worth it !!!