PDA

View Full Version : Why the world spins.

Relentless
11-13-2003, 09:20 PM
The earth spins because of all the penguins on the north pole walking... prove me wrong. I dare you.

micki76
11-13-2003, 09:27 PM
:confused:

wolf_Q
11-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by micki76
:confused:
+ :rolleyes:

slick
11-13-2003, 09:29 PM
OK. I'm working with you on this :confused: :confused:

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Ok, I'm sorry, I thought it was hilarious. But really, what was the point of posting that?

Kfamr
11-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
+ :rolleyes:
= :confused: :rolleyes:

:p

wolf_Q
11-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
= :confused: :rolleyes:

;)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-13-2003, 10:27 PM
You guys crack me up. :D
I must add...:confused::rolleyes::p

Kfamr
11-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Yay, Math class! :p

Karen
11-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Relentless
The earth spins because of all the penguins on the north pole walking... prove me wrong. I dare you.

That's easy. Penguins do not live at the North Pole. Therefore, you are wrong.

See a simple source here (http://www.arlington.k12.ma.us/penguinproject/wherepenguinslive.htm)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Karen
That's easy. Penguins do not live at the North Pole. Therefore, you are wrong.

See a simple source here (http://www.arlington.k12.ma.us/penguinproject/wherepenguinslive.htm)

LOL! I can't believe I didn't catch that. :p

G.P.girl
11-13-2003, 10:45 PM
i earth spins because of gravitational pull from the sun and stuff like that. i feel smart now cuz i just learned about the solar system and stuff in science class:D

Tonya
11-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Lol; got us thinking!

popcornbird
11-14-2003, 02:23 AM
:eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How pathetic. Karen is soooooooo right. Penguins live at the South Pole.........not North Pole. :p

LoudLou
11-14-2003, 04:27 AM
A long time ago, the earth was a great deal farther from the sun than it is today - like a hundred miles further. Yeah, you didn't think I meant THAT far, but I did. The continents were covered in glittering snow and the oceans of the earth were completely frozen over. This was bad news for dolphins and other sea mammals who are somewhat dependent on oxygen. The two dominant species on the planet were Mankind and Penguinkind. These two species coexisted in a symbiotic relationship: The humans, who were not able to survive the subzero temperatures without some sort of heat source, enlisted the aid of the penguins to run around in little wheels all day, generating energy which was then converted to heat. This provided enough warmth for the average human dwelling, and if there were four or five penguins on one wheel, it was even better news because that meant that there was enough extra energy to perhaps power the water heater for a couple hours, so that people could take showers instead of having to smear ice cubes all over their naked bodies to clean themselves. In return, the humans allowed the penguins to rent out their freezers as snug little apartments during the night. (The purely scientific evidence, and it IS scientific, indicates no reason why the penguins wouldn't just build their own homes outside if it was SO cold out, but whatever.)

One day, there was an evil penguin named Norbert. Norbert's years of flipper-busting labor had caused bitterness and hatred to build up in his little body until he couldn't take it anymore. With an malicious glint in his eye, Norbert began convincing his fellow penguins that they did not have to spend their lives as slaves to the system any longer. Soon, all across the world, penguins began rebelling against their "slave drivers," as they began calling them. There were those penguins who argued that there were mutual benefits for both species in the Human/Penguin relationship, especially when there were nice cold leftovers that the humans were generous enough to leave for the penguins. However, the majority of Penguinkind grew steadily more violent and hateful. Occasionally, small groups of peaceful penguins spoke out against this type of behavior. Unfortunately, these penguins were quickly killed and eaten by the others. Before long, the world was consumed by the cannibalistic evil that Penguinkind had become. Penguins refused to do any work at all. Humans everywhere froze in their homes and prayed for deliverance from the arctic wasteland they lived in and the psychotic penguins who ate through their walls at night and pecked their eyes out, eating their brains through the sockets.

Eventually, it all became too much for the Lord of the Penguins to bear. The Lord of the Penguins was the source of all penguins, and he spent centuries beneath the surface of the earth, hibernating and dreaming of naked Snowladies. Anyway, the Lord of the Penguins rose up from his berth and witnessed for himself how satanic and destructive his children had become in his absence. He was horrified and furious. "I spent SO LONG convincing God that you shouldn't have been destroyed in the first place because your SO useless, and this is how you repay me? Even CATS could do your job, you know. And I bet they wouldn't clutter up people's freezers, either - unless they were bad... Anyway, that's not the point. As punishment, I shall swat this here planet so that it sits closer to the sun and so melts this icy paradise you've become to used to! Humankind is more fit than you to dominate the Earth. To the ends of the earth with you!" With that, the Lord of the Penguins smacked the Earth so that it spun much closer to the sun than before. As the ice that coated the planet broke away and melted, the crazy penguins shrieked evilly and scrambled to their icy sanctuary on the ass-end of the Earth. Ever since then, penguins have only lived on the South Pole. This hypothesis also nicely explains why penguins are constantly plotting to destroy the human race and feast on their flesh eternally.

© Eric Rogge http://www.ofcharmandstrange.com/id820.htm

Or Relentless could be refering to Linux Online - Penguins invade the North Pole! Then again maybe not, but Thanks for making us think!
;)

Barbara
11-14-2003, 05:19 AM
Oh that's a story that explains it all.:cool: :cool: :cool:
Thanks for sharing.

RICHARD
11-14-2003, 02:14 PM
actually the hamsters at the EQUATOR make the world turn.

:rolleyes: +:eek:*:p/:D=:confused:

2kitties
11-14-2003, 02:16 PM
penguins live at the South Pole.
Santa Claus lives at the North Pole.

ramanth
11-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Everyone knows the earth revolves around me. ;) :rolleyes: :D :p

(I am joking :) )

CamCamPup33
11-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
:rolleyes: +:eek:*:p/:D=:confused:

TOO much smiley math there! :p

RICHARD
11-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by ramanth

I hope you understand the GRAVITY of making a
statement like that....:D

ramanth
11-14-2003, 02:50 PM
LMAO!!!! Touche!! :D ;)

Cataholic
11-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by ramanth

(I am joking :) )

Now, that was funny! **snort**

Cataholic
11-14-2003, 03:20 PM

Turkey and GRAVITY? Must be a California thing.

RICHARD
11-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Turkey and GRAVITY? Must be a California thing.

SMOOTH-NO LUMPS.

mahayana
11-14-2003, 05:51 PM
A related matter that has long puzzled me is why the Moon always keeps the same side facing the Earth. Anybody know?

Uabassoon
11-14-2003, 05:57 PM
I hope you understand the GRAVITY of making a statement like that

LOL

RICHARD
11-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by mahayana
A related matter that has long puzzled me is why the Moon always keeps the same side facing the Earth. Anybody know?

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mlunarrotate.html

mahayana
11-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the link, Richard. If I understand that correctly the Moon is not rotating at all, but keeping the denser side closest to Earth, and wobbling slightly.

And I thought it was a bunch of penguins in spacesuits walking around up there!

Whew!

Miss Meow
11-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the link, Richard. If I understand that correctly the Moon is not rotating at all, but keeping the denser side closest to Earth, and wobbling slightly.

And I thought it was a bunch of penguins in spacesuits walking around up there!

Whew!

No, the penguins are on the south pole and it's too cold to fire them spacewards with rocket boosters :) The man on the moon keeps one face of the moon towards Earth, so he can see the reality show we call Life ... ;)

trayi52
11-15-2003, 02:17 PM
I suppose it has to be Polar bears walking around then?:confused: :) :D ;)

Rio and Me
11-16-2003, 04:58 AM
You guys come up with the funnest things,lol (my smilies dont work, "cry")
i think that "space" go's on forever!! farther than well EVER be able to explore!!
i like to think that there is another Earth out there in the farest distance with "beings" living live in peace and harmanory(?sp?), looking after their little world that was given to them!!!!
watching us thinking "pittifull beings" arnt they!!!
well we can dream and hope
Ky and rio

mahayana
11-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Ah yes....

The Truth Is Out There

so...

Why does life exist?

I am way into evolutionary theory, see all of life as one, but the original reason for such complex organizing eludes me.

Any thoughts or explanations?

mugsy
11-16-2003, 08:11 AM
I have to ask this.....why can't the penguins at the South Pole make the earth spin? ;) :p

Miss Meow
11-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I have to ask this.....why can't the penguins at the South Pole make the earth spin? ;) :p

Because they are 'down under' and are only the pendulums at the bottom of the earth. There's not enough of them to provide enough swing to turn the earth ... Now, maybe if those big-ass seals helped out they could get somewhere! :D

Barbara
11-17-2003, 04:49 AM
And like Richard said -it is the hamsters at the equator that make the earth spin.

Any informations out there whether they feed on humans too?

G.P.girl
11-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Because they are 'down under' and are only the pendulums at the bottom of the earth. There's not enough of them to provide enough swing to turn the earth ... Now, maybe if those big-ass seals helped out they could get somewhere! :D
lol that made me laugh sooo hard i was almost in tears!!!lol:D

RICHARD
11-17-2003, 01:03 PM

Why does life exist?

To pay taxes and to make sure Madonna 'evolves'
into something more ridiculous than her previous incarnation???

;)

mahayana
11-17-2003, 05:22 PM
I like Cyndi Lauper better than Madonna...

Always heard that love makes the world go 'round, but hampsters, penguins, seals and polar bears make sense, too.

:D :confused: :rolleyes:

LoudLou
11-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Ah yes....

The Truth Is Out There

so...

Why does life exist?

I am way into evolutionary theory, see all of life as one, but the original reason for such complex organizing eludes me.

Any thoughts or explanations?

The answer to life is 42.

Miss Meow
11-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by LoudLou
The answer to life is 42.

If the answer to life is 42, is it still true when the person who said that is dead? Does that make 42 null and void?

CatDad
11-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
If the answer to life is 42, is it still true when the person who said that is dead? Does that make 42 null and void?

42 was only the answer. The real puzzle was the question.

Good point though, is it still valid since Adams died?

trayi52
11-17-2003, 06:38 PM
They do???:confused: ;)

Miss Meow
11-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by CatDad
42 was only the answer. The real puzzle was the question.

Oh yes, the question. Maybe the question has changed?

Mahayana, the reason life exists is to contemplate these sorts of questions :eek: And eat chocolate :D When I contemplate the meaning of life, and where it all comes from, I get confused and eat chocolate. So maybe chocolate is the meaning of life???

RICHARD
11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by CatDad

Good stories will never die!!!

"42?"

It's enough to keep you in Deep Thought for a while.....

easy!!.......4 fingers and two thumbs.....

you can hitchhike to the left AND right....

;)

mahayana
11-17-2003, 06:46 PM
LoudLou- Are you working on the story that explains 42? Your penguin tale is most excellent, I keep going back and rereading it.

I'm not a numerologist, but I do remember that ice9 is the way the world ends!

It never rains here, so we will likely survive longer than most...

By the by- Is Loud Louie and the Beans a musical group? Must be either doowop or jazz!;)

trayi52
11-17-2003, 06:53 PM
42?? 42 what?? Polar Bears with space suits? Now I am confused, totally, of course I stay that way!!:D :confused: :confused: ;)

RICHARD
11-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
42?? 42 what?? Polar Bears with space suits? Now I am confused, totally, of course I stay that way!!:D :confused: :confused: ;)

Douglas Adams (RIP) wrote a book called the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe..
In the book a computer called Deep Thought was
asked the meaning of life......It 'thunk' for a
while and said "42"..

mahayana
11-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks for explaining the literary reference...hope this won't stop LL from tying it it in with the penguins!

Another thing I've wondered about is animal intelligence...buddhists often refer to "all sentient beings."

How can we hope to communicate with aliens, when we haven't even learned to speak with other lifeforms here?

How do you say 42 in penguinese?

trayi52
11-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Now I know what answer to give to somebody that ask me a question I don't know, 42 penguins and 42 polar bears.:D ;)

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 04:58 PM

Another thing I've wondered about is animal intelligence...

Oh, by far they are more intelligent than we are....

They don't worry, they don't drive, they don't do a bunch of things that us hoomans kill ourselves trying to accomplish...

Look at it this way....

My cat stays at home, gets fed, gets all of his needs taken care of....all he has to do is meet me at the door around 6:15 in the afternoon.

I get up, drive to work and worry about almost everything for
they 17-18 hours I am awake....

I can tune my car, use Excel on the computer, balance my check book and read a book...

My cat sleeps all day and is loved when I get home...

Who's the intelligent being in MY household?

42????

42 cats?????

Think of the paranoia while hanging around with cannibal penguins!!!

:eek:

catland
11-18-2003, 05:03 PM
My cat stays at home, gets fed, gets all of his needs taken care of....all he has to do is meet me at the door around 6:15 in the afternoon.

Your cat meets you at the door?:eek: :p

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by catland
Your cat meets you at the door?:eek: :p

yeah, don't other cats do that???:confused:

lol, when i pull the car in the driveway he's there "yelling " before I make it around the corner!

I yell at him, "Who's your daddy?" And he answers, mmmmeee YOU !!!!!!

Of course the neighbors think I am crazy, but my cat is 10 times smarter than their kids...I never had to potty train Eddie!!!!

:D

LoudLou
11-18-2003, 05:24 PM

By the by- Is Loud Louie and the Beans a musical group? Must be either doowop or jazz!;)

LOUD Louie: One VERY LOUD Corgi + The Beans: 2 Meezer Kitties, Mocha Bean and Garbonzo Bean = LOUD Louie and The Beans.

LOUD Louie would prefer a country band.
Mocha Bean would be Jazz.
Garbonzo Bean is a Total 80's Rocker! ;)

RICHARD
11-18-2003, 05:29 PM

LOUD Louie would prefer a country band.
Mocha Bean would be Jazz.
Garbonzo Bean is a Total 80's Rocker! ;)

Music does make the world go round, don't it?:D

LoudLou
11-18-2003, 05:52 PM
LoudLou- Are you working on the story that explains 42?

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci211501,00.html

42 is the number from Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
from which all meaning ("the meaning of life, the universe, and everything")
could be derived.
A BBC radio script based on Adams' book contains the following lines:

("Cave man" lays out following sentence in Scrabble stones:
"What do you get if you multiply six by nine?")
Arthur: Six by nine? Forty-two? You know, I've always felt that
there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.
(Faint and distant voice:) Base thirteen!
For the literal-minded and those unfamiliar with terms like
"base thirteen," this is a number system in which the number 10
is equivalent to our more familiar decimal 13. A base-13 number 42,
therefore, is the same as four 13s plus 2, or decimal 54.
So "six by nine" (six times nine) or decimal 54 is, in base 13, 42.
For the mystically inclined, 42 in base 13 is the same as 110110 in binary (base 2).
This could mean almost anything, and many Adams fans have spent untold hours
discovering all of the places where the number "42" pops up.
For example, there are many mentions of the number in the Book of Revelation.
Others have made a game of finding 42s, such as these:

The angle at which light reflects off of water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.
Two physical constants in the universe are the speed of light and the diameter of
a proton. It takes light 10 to the minus 42nd power seconds to cross the diameter
of a proton.
The sum of the ordinal alphabetic positions of the initials (SPG) for Stan (P.) Gibilisco,
an oft-published science and technology writer, is equal to 42 (S=19, P=16, G=7).
A barrel holds 42 gallons.
(It should be noted that all of these 42's are base 10, not base 13.) :confused: :D ;)

Some other interesting and Funny reading
http://www.intellectualloafing.com/discussionsfolder/runningdebatesfolder/42themeaningoflifetheuniverseandeverything.htm

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Answer_to_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Everything

http://yudkowsky.net/tmol-faq/miscellaneous.html

Although I really like Miss Meow's theory that the meaning of life is chocolate... I think you are on to something there! ;)

Miss Meow
11-18-2003, 05:54 PM

Although I really like Miss Meow's theory that the meaning of life is chocolate... I think you are on to something there! ;)

I just read your post, and phew, the whole chocolate thing is far easier for me to digest (oops, bad pun!)

LoudLou
11-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Me too! My brain hurts now:eek: ... must go find chocolate!;)

Relentless
11-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Wow lots of posts to my pointless topic! :D

trayi52
11-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Hey we like pointless topics, sometimes they get to be a lot of fun. Like mahayana talking about penquins in spacesuits walking around on the moon, I could just picture that, and it struck me as very amusing. There was one thread on here about cone breeders, it was sooo funny. Thanks Relentless for the topic, come up with some more good ones. :D

mahayana
11-19-2003, 07:28 AM
Ah yes.. the music of the spheres!

Dogz
11-19-2003, 07:37 AM
hehehehe,
I love this thread, it just made me laugh.
Good job for pointing this out Karen.:)

Miss Meow
11-19-2003, 05:14 PM

What other questions do you have for us? ;)

mahayana
11-19-2003, 05:48 PM
I have another imponderable, if you don't mind having me keep doing this?:confused: :confused: :confused:

What happens to our individual personality after we die?

I only ask because I read somewhere about people being hypnotised, and speaking coherently in foreign languages that they never learned to speak.

This sparked an interest in reincarnation, and I spent several hours at beliefnet reading an interminable thread of many opinions about which religions believe what, name-calling, etc..

But I never heard anything refering to the phenomenon mentioned above...

so, what do you think?

RICHARD
11-19-2003, 06:05 PM

What happens to our individual personality after we die?

Now, I think there is a difference between personality and soul....

The soul is the energy, the personality is the
face or quirks associated with it.

I feel we lose our quirkiness and our soul becomes
part of the universe at large....

I mean who wants to meet up with an old flame in eternity as their old self???
;)

Dogz
11-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Sometimes, I like pointless topics. They are a lot of fun. How about another question?:p

mahayana
11-20-2003, 06:05 AM
I just checked out LL's links in the 42 answer and realized that everyone thought the question was the meaning of life...

when really I wondered why it ever started.

You know, like if God created everything, then where did God come from? That sort of thing.

The spinning of the earth must derive from that somehow, also penguins, hampsters, humans, numbers,souls...hah!

mahayana
11-27-2003, 10:16 AM
I am bad! Just posting to get this funny thread back on the first page so more will read about the penguins;)

"shove me in the shallow water before I get too deep..."
New Bohemians

and kudos to Loud Lou! Are you a published author?