PDA

View Full Version : attention book readers/a bk for you to read......

carole
11-13-2003, 09:09 PM
I Have just had a book highly recommended to me, it is called SKYDANCER, now the author is a maori new zealander, I am sorry I cannot remember his name, but he wrote whale rider, which hopefully might be up for an oscar, fingers crossed, if you like Harry Potter or lord of the rings, then this is supposed to be a book you will like. Hopefully its available in the US. cheers.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Woohoo!!! I'll be looking for it! Can't Wait!!

*extreme book worm*

CatDad
11-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Sounds like a good book. I will see if I can find it.

*ex-extreme book worm* Still love to read, just don't have the time that I used to.:)

lynnestankard
11-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Help Carole!! - Just been on Amazon and the only 'Skydancer' I can find is by Geoffrey Archer and the synopsis goes........

Synopsis
New warheads have been designed that can evade the batteries of anti-ballistic missiles set up around Moscow, and for Aldermaston scientist Peter Joyce they represent the pinnacle of his career. But then documents from the project turn up on Parliament Hill, and Joyce faces a dilemma.

That's not the right book is it!?

If you could find the author's name it would really help - just thought I wonder if it's out in UK?

Anyone else found it?........

Lynne

Barbara
11-14-2003, 04:58 AM
Carole I have seen the Whale Rider movie this weekend! It was so great. We really enjoyed seeing NZ. Wanna go there:D

ChrisH
11-14-2003, 05:43 AM
Ok, got some search results. :D
Carole, the author`s name is Witi Ihimaera, and Lynne, I think because it is new, the only place I could find to get Sky Dancer from is here:
New Zealand Books (http://www.horizonbookshop.co.nz/authors.php3?authors_id=196)

About the author here (synopsis of Sky Dancer is at the bottom of the page)
http://www.bookcouncil.org.nz/writers/ihimaerawiti.htm

:D Chris

lynnestankard
11-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Chris. :)

Lynne

carole
11-14-2003, 12:39 PM
wow chrish thanks, you can see why I could not remember his name or the spelling as it is very Maori, I hope it proves to be worth while reading, sounds good, a friend told me about it, then low and behold he was interviewed on our good morning show yesterday, he is a really sweet man, very humble, and has two daughters he loves so much, one of his books is dedicated to her, might be skydancer not sure.

I have not seen whale rider myself, but it has been a hit in America for sure, did you know only 3 of the actors are professional, pretty amazing really, I am waiting for its release on video then I will get it, hope they showed some nice scenes in NZ.

Cheers everyone.:)
p.s that pic of him is way outdated, he is much much older now, probably early 50s lol.
Gosh I never knew he wrote whale rider in 3 wks and in usa, WOW!!!