PDA

View Full Version : Jeez...

Tonya
11-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Bracelets Used As 'Sexual Coupon' For Some Children
Jelly Bracelets Made Popular By Madonna In The '80s

POSTED: 9:02 a.m. PST November 12, 2003
UPDATED: 9:17 a.m. PST November 12, 2003

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Jelly bracelets made famous by Madonna back in the '80s are back on the arms of young girls who are looking to make a fashion statement. But throughout the country, a growing number of girls are using those bracelets to make a sexual statement.

The bracelets are thin, plastic and come in a variety of different colors.

At some schools students have assigned the bracelets -- now called "sex bracelets" -- with explicit acts.

"If somebody breaks it off of you, then depending on what color it is, you (have to) do different things to them," said 15-year-old student Teaira Harris.

Tonya
11-13-2003, 07:33 AM
Schools are now banning rubber bracelets to make a long story short.

My keyboard, mouse, and/or computer is apparently messed up so I couldn't copy and paste the whole story...

G.P.girl
11-13-2003, 08:24 AM
<sigh> the stupid things kids do today...:rolleyes:

2kitties
11-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Seriously. GP hit the nail on the head. We like to blame society or tv or music or whatever. But I'm through doing that. Kids are JUST PLAIN STUPID if this is the kind of crap they think about. That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Losing hope for future generations.

micki76
11-13-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by 2kitties
Seriously. GP hit the nail on the head. We like to blame society or tv or music or whatever. But I'm through doing that. Kids are JUST PLAIN STUPID if this is the kind of crap they think about. That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

LOL All generations lose hope for the future generations. Parents and grandparents always shake their heads and wonder what's gotten into kids these days. The things that happened even in the 50’s would’ve had people shunned and/or arrested in the 1890’s.
But I do think that the sexual atmosphere of our world today has made it “ok” to do things that shouldn’t be ok in any decade or century. We’re just bombarded with sexual images constantly on TV and in music in a way like past generations never were. Nothing wrong with sex or even some sexual images, but some of them are truly inappropriate and even vulgar.

2kitties
11-13-2003, 09:04 AM
lol, you're probably right. But jelly bracelts for sex? Come on, whatever happened to cold hard cash;)

micki76
11-13-2003, 09:18 AM
It is truly scary what kids are doing these days. Some of the other things that I've heard about kids doing like the jelly bracelets are just frightening. And I do mean kids. On a recent episode of Oprah, they were discussing the different phrases that kids are using for sexual code so that parents won't know what they're talking about. Some of the stuff turned my hair white, especially when they were talking about the ages of some of the kids! 10-12 year olds! :eek:

2kitties
11-13-2003, 09:20 AM
whew, I'm not feeling so bad about being old anymore.

micki76
11-13-2003, 09:34 AM
I'm just glad I don't have any kids! :eek:

lovemyshiba
11-13-2003, 10:22 AM
lol, you're probably right. But jelly bracelts for sex? Come on, whatever happened to cold hard cash;)

lol!! I nearly spit out my breakfast!!!!

Soledad
11-13-2003, 10:28 AM
2Kitties, I think we're going to be good friends. ;)

popcornbird
11-13-2003, 11:49 AM

I've already lost hope in *my* generation.............which is the younger generation of course. There aren't many kids, teens, and young adults that have a *brain* these days you know. :p Fortunately there are still good teens.........but if I take the generation as a whole, I've truely lost hope in them.

But I agree.........this is as pathetic as it can get. :rolleyes:

mugsy
11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Well, they haven't made it to our school. Perhaps I had better alert the administration just in case.

Kids do dumb things, just like they have throughout history to make a statement. They just keep getting more and more extreme which is pretty scary.

Karen
11-13-2003, 11:59 AM
And how nice of the media to glorify it, and spread the phenominom to other schools and other teens, and if the teens here weren't pretty responsible seeming people, I'd delete this thread so as not to propagate another stupid idea. It's not a new idea, by the way, I've heard from other people that it was the fad several years ago at their schools - and some said "yeah, that's what they were supposed to mean, but nobody went through with it."

catland
11-13-2003, 12:10 PM
I vaguely recall something similar having to do with dots on a bottle cap - we're talking 30-40 years ago folks.

some things never change.

2kitties
11-13-2003, 12:57 PM
Whatever happened to Spin the Bottle!!!??? I was AWESOME at spin the bottle!:D

Relentless
11-13-2003, 03:49 PM
That is kind of a stupid idea, but I usually try my best to understand younger people, can't really come up with anything on this one though.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-13-2003, 06:18 PM
LoL... I love those bracelets. Molly lets me wear one of hers every once and a while. But don't get any Ideas!!! I haven't heard that rumor at school yet.

Kfamr
11-13-2003, 06:22 PM
I have tons of those bracelets, but never referred to them as "Sexual."
Actually, they're from my friend Nicole. We send "Secret Messages" to each other in class, so we refer to them as our "secret bracelets"

As for losing hope in today's generation -- YOU ARE today's generation. (PCB, atleast)

carole
11-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Those bracelets are a fashion statement here in NZ too, but I have never heard of this before relating to them, gosh what will they come up with next, turning something as simple as a bracelet into something like that unbelievable, I simply have not bought them, for my girl, because they look like junk for the money they are asking for them.

popcornbird
11-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

As for losing hope in today's generation -- YOU ARE today's generation. (PCB, atleast)

DUH! That's why I said I've lost hope in MY generation!

Kfamr
11-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
DUH! That's why I said I've lost hope in MY generation!

NO REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

popcornbird
11-13-2003, 08:12 PM
NO REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You've just proved my point. :rolleyes:

If you've got nothing better to say, stay out of my posts. I wasn't talking to you in the first place. You have a serious attitude problem that I've been tolerating and ignoring for a long while and I will tolerate it no longer.

Stay on topic to the thread and quit quoting my posts! :mad:

Kfamr
11-13-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
You've just proved my point. :rolleyes:

If you've got nothing better to say, stay out of my posts. I wasn't talking to you in the first place. You have a serious attitude problem that I've been tolerating and ignoring for a long while and I will tolerate it no longer.

Stay on topic to the thread and quit quoting my posts! :mad:

Stay out of YOUR posts?
What the hay? :confused:

If you weren't talking to me, or you didn't want *ME* to read it -- then you shouldn't have posted it.

I was being sarcastic/joking, and it seems as if YOU'RE the one with a serious attitude problem, as of now. Are you ok? Go kiss the birdies! :) Take a joke! :)

If you weren't talking to me, or you didn't want *ME* to read it -- then you shouldn't have posted it.

You guys are the one who brought up today's generation, and you're the one who lead this even MORE off topic. So you're not one to speak about going OT.

If I wasn't supposed to or allowed to quote your posts, that option would not be there.

So please, do not tell me what to do. :) :)

Relentless
11-13-2003, 09:13 PM
I agree with the point that adults complain about todays children, when in fact they did raise them.

micki76
11-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Relentless
I agree with the point that adults complain about todays children, when in fact they did raise them.

Nope. Haven't raised a single ankle biter and don't intend to. so I can complain all I want. :D :p

Kfamr
11-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Nope. Haven't raised a single ankle biter and don't intend to. so I can complain all I want. :D :p

But, Moommmmyyy -- Did you forget that i'm your child? :p ;) :p

micki76
11-13-2003, 09:45 PM
But, Moommmmyyy -- Did you forget that i'm your child? :p ;) :p

Ahhh, but I didn't raise you! :D

green_chameleon_girl
11-13-2003, 09:46 PM
http://www.claires.com/images/products/65560_250.jpg

THESE!?!?! eww gross I bought a pack of 20 and I wear them all up my arms but not for that reason... I mean im not like that, it makes me sick to hear about how people do this.. ICKY!

Tonya
11-13-2003, 11:13 PM
I used to wear them in Kindergarten. (I thought I was Madonna back then.) When they came back out this year or so, I was so excited I had to run and get them. I wear them! :) I'll have to clue my husband in on the new trend.

I think it is lame that kids would give themselves away like that. I find it hard to believe that they are truly doing that. I sure hope that it is more of a make-believe game then real sex coupons.

On the same line, I don't know about schools banning them. I don't think anything should really be banned unless it is dangerous. For Gosh sakes, kids can write sex coupons on their homework...are we going to ban that too? There is always going to be something...

Twisterdog
11-14-2003, 01:04 AM
And how nice of the media to glorify it, and spread the phenominom to other schools and other teens,

I agree.

There is always going to be something...

Of course there is. If a teen isn't ready/willing to have sex, wearing a certain color bracelet isn't going to change that. And likewise, if a teen is going to have sex, banning a bracelet will make no difference.

Whatever happened to Spin the Bottle!!!???

Exactly. See .. every "generation" has it's own version of things like this. I hardly see this as anything new, or particulary dangerous.

Teens ... hormones .... with or without bracelets.

aly
11-14-2003, 01:23 AM
On a recent episode of Oprah, they were discussing the different phrases that kids are using for sexual code so that parents won't know what they're talking about. Some of the stuff turned my hair white, especially when they were talking about the ages of some of the kids! 10-12 year olds! :eek:

Hehe, uh oh micki, you don't want to spark that conversation again, do ya????? (just kidding ;) :D )

amoore
11-14-2003, 08:16 AM
I have seen young girls here not use their minds too.
I don't know anything about the bracelets , but I have seen girls forget they have a mind too, and only think about being sexy.
It's alright to be sexy ,long as good sense stays with a young girl .
All you girls in pet talk have restored my hopes for young girls .
you all seem to be very intelligent and wise in life . Im so glad to have met all of you .:)

micki76
11-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by aly
Hehe, uh oh micki, you don't want to spark that conversation again, do ya????? (just kidding ;) :D )

:eek: :eek: :eek: OH DEAR GOD, NO!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

***runs and hides, covering ears***

G.P.girl
11-14-2003, 08:53 AM
LOL All generations lose hope for the future generations. Parents and grandparents always shake their heads and wonder what's gotten into kids these days. The things that happened even in the 50’s would’ve had people shunned and/or arrested in the 1890’s.
But I do think that the sexual atmosphere of our world today has made it “ok” to do things that shouldn’t be ok in any decade or century. We’re just bombarded with sexual images constantly on TV and in music in a way like past generations never were. Nothing wrong with sex or even some sexual images, but some of them are truly inappropriate and even vulgar.

the problem is...that it's not healthy sex on Tv. you know between a husband and wife that love eachother and aren't involved in some love triangle, it's just a bunch of highschoolers who just met and make it seem like no big deal. i don't consider myself a prude or a nerd or stuck up, but i'm pretty discusted with my gerneration. i maen some of them are SO shallow it's unbeliveble.ummm....yeah....so thats my venting for the day...:rolleyes:

CamCamPup33
11-14-2003, 02:25 PM
I can tell you guys *EXACTLY* what they are for..

At my school it used to be the 'cool' thing to do to see how many you could wear.. I used to wear the cute blue glittery ones.. Then it started to be like this:: (and thats why i dont wear them anymore) wait.. nevermind its a little too much for a family friendly site... Lets just say that different colors mean something.. Like a moon ring .. When someone pops one of the colors, whatever that color means you have to do.. And still alot of people wear the black ones.. :p

Anyway, This was a *HUGE* trend in my school a year back.. Alot of kids still wear them, but not many..

G.P.girl
11-14-2003, 05:18 PM
i wanna know!!! camcampup can you PM me?

Dogz
11-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
I can tell you guys *EXACTLY* what they are for..

At my school it used to be the 'cool' thing to do to see how many you could wear.. I used to wear the cute blue glittery ones.. Then it started to be like this:: (and thats why i dont wear them anymore) wait.. nevermind its a little too much for a family friendly site... Lets just say that different colors mean something.. Like a moon ring .. When someone pops one of the colors, whatever that color means you have to do.. And still alot of people wear the black ones.. :p

Anyway, This was a *HUGE* trend in my school a year back.. Alot of kids still wear them, but not many..

UGH:rolleyes:

What will be next? Or do I want to know?:rolleyes:
This is so pathetic.

IttyBittyKitty
11-16-2003, 01:52 AM
I loved the jelly bracelets! I thought they were really pretty, the highlighter colours, the glittery ones and even the black ones. Okay, I was a total dag who wore glasses with chunky blue plastic frames, but I wasn't a tart and I didn't care what the bracelets actually meant.

I have to agree with the general sentiment expressing grave concern for the youth of today. Sure, teenagers and other young folk have always disappointed the generation preceding them, but I honestly believe that they are taking things too far. Who do I blame? Unfortunately, "our" generation are largely to blame for our lackadaiscial and woefully neglectful parenting techniques of plonking kids in front of a PlayStation and letting life teach their children its own harsh lessions with little or no guidance at all from their parents and other superiors.

All adults, including parents, non parents, role models, and those who work in the media have a responsibility torwards the impressionable ones. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude and I certainly see no harm in sexual relations occuring between two consenting and mature parties. These days, however, 10 and 12 year-olds are performing an act that has lost all meaning, with consent and maturity thrown casually out of the window. They offer their virginity as a rite of passage instead of a gift, getting little or nothing in return. How will such individuals ever learn how to use coition as a symbol of deep and true love?

And how can those drunk girls clad in daggy trakkiedaks or postage stamps be the forgers of the future? Don't get me started on those boys with their three word vocabularies ....

end rant.

mahayana
11-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Interesting topic for Pet Talk!

The girls who are wearing these bracelets, who know the code, are standing the cultural norm of "males ask, females choose" on it's head.

My feminist sister gave me a book once called "The History Of Sex" that explores the background of these mores all over the world. Wonder what the Puritans who founded this country would have to say...

Banning bracelets won't stop fornication.

Remember the "flappers" of the Roaring 20's, the "free love" movement of the 1960's, President Clinton's definition of sex?

Then there is the epidemic of STDs and teen pregnancies...