PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* Why do I do this to myself.

Shelteez2
11-12-2003, 11:14 PM
I admit it, I have a problem.
See I can't help myself from looking through the pet section in the classifieds. So what did I find there today?
Well apart from the dozens of bichon/shih tzus (the mutt du jour here -- don't even get me started on them) we have this lovely one here:
Bugs/Boston X- pugs, 2-males, $350/ea, 2- females, $400/ea; 3/4 bugs, 1/4 Daschund, 5- males, $300/ea, 1-female, $350, taking deposits now, puppies ready to go on November 22nd, reserved you puppy today, vet check & first shots, Tel: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Or how about:
RARE FIND!
Chocolate/Yellow Lab puppies, 1 M Yellow, 1 F & 5 M Chocolates, CKC reg'd, 1st shots, dewormed, 2 yr help guarantee hip/eyes, exc kids/hunting pet, $600-$750 ea Tel: xxx-xxx-xxxx

Labs are rare?????

And then there's this one:
Ready to Go!
Jack Russell purebred pups, litter trained, $400. draw to be made when all pups are sold, some lucky winner gets 200.00 back then.

Gee think they might have had trouble selling their pups previously???

And one last one. This one shows the kind of people that buy dogs from these stupid people:
Pekingese/Chihuahua cross, 7 months old, male, white w/red markings, paid over $1000, asking $400 obo Tel: xxx-xxx-xxxx

They paid WHAT!!! for a peke/chi cross? Yikes!!!!

Sorry everybody, but ads like that just get me so mad. I must be a glutton for punishment though 'cause I just can't help but read them. I just needed to vent.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Oh, I know what you mean. I check the classifieds every week, and just torture myself. :( BYB's every single one of them.

Twisterdog
11-12-2003, 11:38 PM
OMG. I'm speechless.

Naaaah, I changed my mind ... I actually have a LOT to say about this! ;)

Bugs/Boston X- pugs, 2-males, $350/ea, 2- females, $400/ea; 3/4 bugs, 1/4 Daschund,

*faints*

WHY would anyone cross a pug with a Boston terrier? Why?? And THEN ... cross THAT cross with a dachshund?!? OMG

*faints again*

paid over $1000, asking $400 obo

Well, and that just goes to show people who say, "Ooooh, if someone is willing to pay a lot of money for my Designer-Dog-Du-Jour, they will love it and keep it forever." Puhleeese. :rolleyes:

The world is full of pond scum sucking troglodytes who will do anything for money, innocent dogs be damned. :(

Tonya
11-13-2003, 07:01 AM
I read the classifieds too and run into that crud. I am not a huge fan of breeding; but I think it's ok if you are experienced, not running a puppy mill, and keep the breed clean and pure. It just amazes me that people intentionally cross breed dogs and THEN actually try to make money off of them!

moosmom
11-13-2003, 07:34 AM
To say I am not fond of breeders is being VERY polite (3 of my 9 furbabies are rescues from BAD breeders :mad: :mad: )

I don't even want to TELL you what I really think of back yard breeders. I'd get banned for using fowl language.

All I can say is...

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO TIRED OF STUPID, STUPID PEOPLE!!!

tomkatzid
11-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Unbelievable, these breeders have really gotten out of hand.....
Katz always reads the dog and cat classifieds too, I get too angry, here is one that really gets me, and we have seen the same thing several times, "Baby on the way, dog must go now". They word that ad like it is decreed that to have a baby you MUST get rid of your dog!!!!!! It's all I can do to keep from calling and flipping out on them.......tom

Karen
11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Karen's troublemaking idea of the moment:

Go online, do "reverse phone directory" on each phone number, record the name/mailing address of each person/family

Make/find a flyer on the horrors of BYBs, include how many homeless animals are killed in shelters every month and information on the benefits of spaying/neutering. Include graphic picture of abused/unwanted dogs.

Anonymously

a.Send them the flyer

b. Sign them up for mailing from the local shelter/humane society

c. Suggest a donation to some organiztion to cover the cost of care for unwanted/homeless pets.

Sleep well and guiltlessly.

If they are folks who already know all that, and the litter is an honest "accident" they won't be bothered.

I know honest accidents do happen. My young (at the time) nephew let their kitty Midnight's out when she was in heat. He had been told not to (her vet appointment for spaying was already on the calendar) but he was young and said "but she WANTED to go out!"

P.S. All Midnight's kitties found loving homes, thankfully, and all were spayed/neutered by their new owners (two of whom were co-workers of mine!)

Logan
11-13-2003, 12:43 PM
OOOOOOOOOOH, Karen!!!! What a great idea!!! ;)

Amber
11-13-2003, 12:44 PM
uhh, BYBs.......I HATE THEM!

petlover
11-13-2003, 12:54 PM
What they meant when they said that labs are rare, are that chocolate labs are rare. My sister has one. She paid a lot to get it too. I think that, that is all that they mean.

tomkatzid
11-13-2003, 02:38 PM
I just looked in the classifieds here, there are plenty of chocolate and yellow labs in our paper, I think alot of these people will try to make you think they are extremely hard to get so they can jack the price up, IMO. Two of the ads here said "hard to find".......tom

petlover
11-13-2003, 03:04 PM
I hate BYBs!:mad: Also, that was a great idea that Karen gave you. Just do that. People need to do more adopting, and less buying from STUPID dog breeders that think that they can up the price on a so called " Impossible to find" known worldwide dog!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: It makes me SO angry when I think about it. :mad: :mad:

Twisterdog
11-14-2003, 12:29 AM
What they meant when they said that labs are rare, are that chocolate labs are rare.

Chocolate labs aren't rare, by any means. Perhaps there are fewer chocolate labs than black or yellow labs, but they are still FAR from rare.

We got many, many chocolate labs at our shelter.

Karen's troublemaking idea of the moment:

What?!? I have NEVER seen you make trouble. LOL

And great idea, too!