PDA

View Full Version : show bunnies

bunyfoofoo
11-12-2003, 06:40 PM
I need to know Wat kind of buh-nays are good to have as show buh-nays? I need to know because i am soon gettin one for showing, and i dont know wat kind to get. :confused: SO if anyone has a buh-nay that makes a great show buh-nay for them or knows of one will u please post it here so i will know wat kind to get?

jenluckenbach
11-12-2003, 06:45 PM
If you want a show rabbit, than you need to go to a breeder. The breed you get is determined by what you like. But like showing dogs, there is a stanard of perfection to go by and your average pet store or rescue rabbit is not going to be of show quality. (great for pets, but won;t qualify to place in a rabbit show.) I used to raise Dutch rabbits for show and we also have several other breeds during that time. SO do some research on the breeds available and the breeders located in your area. They will be glad to get you pointed ion the right direction.

bunyfoofoo
11-12-2003, 06:50 PM
well my best friend got a havanna for her showing, and she also had a mini rex/ cinnamon mix for a show too. So i was just wondering if there is any special types of breeds of rabbits that are really good for showing. i know that there are quiet a few of differant types. But i just dont know which one to pick. so i was just seeing if anyone here had any specific types that they think would be good. and thanks for replying. I will look up breeders near me to see if i can find anything about the bunnies.

jenluckenbach
11-12-2003, 06:59 PM
As far as I know, and I have been out of showing for quite a few years now, mixed breeds are not eligible. What are you looking for in a rabbit? Big? Small? do you like a particular color? Do you want a solid color or a breed that has "markings"? There are MANY breeds. The national organization for showing rabbits is called the American Rabbit Breeders Association. I am sure they have a website. Each of the breeds probably have their own site as well. Maybe you could fine a show or fair that has a rabbit show and go and look at the different breeds and talk to some people. When I used to show, the breeders were always more than willing to answer question.

Uabassoon
11-12-2003, 07:01 PM
When I was in 4-H we were allowed to show mixed breeds. But as Jen said in ARBA only purebreds are allowed. Try going to an ARBA show and you can see all the different types of rabbits and talk to the breeders.

bunyfoofoo
11-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Im not sure is mixed breeds are avaliabe or not maybe they were just being nice to my friend but they let her have her mixed bunny there. I want to have a purebreed bunnie though. i also want it to be big i dont really care for the color and i dont think i was a bunnie with markins i think i was him (or her) to be solid. i am going to look up the American Rabbit Breeders Association and have a look. well i went to the fair last year to look at the rabbit showing to see what it was like. and i looked at a few bunnies.

jenluckenbach
11-12-2003, 07:24 PM
One of the biggest rabbits in size is a Flemish Giant. This is their home page
http://www.nffgrb.com/
another large size rabbit is the Checkered Giant
http://www.americancheckeredgiantrabbit.com/
just for starters.

bunyfoofoo
11-12-2003, 07:26 PM
yeah my friend that shows really wants me to get a flemish giant. i think i might want a dutch im not sure yet though.

Corinna
11-13-2003, 05:51 PM
I agree go to a show talk to breeders read the standards some rabbits are not nessaraly people freindly. Do be careful some Dutch lines have bad timpers. I raised them as well as Silver Martens , Californians, New Zealands, and Checkered Giants. I showed 4-h and ARBA shows. It can be fun and frustrating too. You can meet lots of people and that is fun.

Uabassoon
11-13-2003, 06:35 PM
We used to raise Havanas, New Zealands (mostly reds), and Californians. I had a lot of fun. My dad and aunts still show rabbits.

bunyfoofoo
11-16-2003, 03:42 PM
well mi dad is going to take me to get a rabbit to today and i really want a dutch but i dont think there are any our rite now. :( well i think i think i might get a flemish giant if i can find one or any kind of lop.

bunyfoofoo
11-19-2003, 06:12 PM
i have decied to get a florida white. i am going to get it today. it is a pure breed and i think it is about 4 or 5 mounths. (i lil old but thats okay)

jenluckenbach
11-19-2003, 06:47 PM
congratulations :)

bunyfoofoo
11-19-2003, 07:06 PM
thank u think i made a pretty good choice one wat rabbit i choose

Aspen and Misty
11-30-2003, 06:19 AM
Did you get a bunny? Do you have pictures? Does your bunny live with you? (for some reson I wanna say it doesn't) Where does you bunny stay?

Ashley

bunyfoofoo
12-01-2003, 04:36 PM
i do have pictures of him and he lives out in mi shed in the back yard.. heres one picture of him..

Aspen and Misty
12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
AWWWWW!!!! That has to be one of the CUTEST buns!!

Is your shed your warm?

Ash

bunyfoofoo
12-03-2003, 10:51 PM
well they have sheets in them and they have doors and bunnys are more used to the cold them the warm they perfer the cold.

Aspen and Misty
12-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by bunyfoofoo
well they have sheets in them and they have doors and bunnys are more used to the cold them the warm they perfer the cold.

Yes, I know. A dog likes the cold better then the warm, bit still can get cold. I was just wondering if your shed was warm. If not what are doing to keep your bunny warm?

Ashley

bunyfoofoo
12-06-2003, 03:25 PM
im shur they are just fine they like it out there

Aspen and Misty
12-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Why wont you just answer my question? I mean I'm not trying to be mean or anything. There are WONDERFUL bunny owners who keep there bunnies outside in a shed. I'm not saying you are a bad bunny owner just because our beleifs are diffrent. All I'm asking Is Your Shed Warm??? If not what are you doing to keep your bunnies warm? Why won't you answer this? I'm come to the conclusion your shed is freezing. Is this true?

If so what are you doing? I'm guessing nothing (only because you wont answer my question)

You should build them a hutch, or wooden box to sleep in. If you fill it with hay it will be a nice warm cozy box for them to sleep in. They arn't hard to make at all.

Ashley

bunyfoofoo
12-07-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm not saying you are a bad bunny owner just because our beleifs are diffrent. All I'm asking Is Your Shed Warm??? If not what are you doing to keep your bunnies warm? Why won't you answer this? I'm come to the conclusion your shed is freezing. Is this true?

no as a mater of fact mi shed is not cold. they do have hutches and their is straw with them. sorry i didnt answer ur question i never realized that was what u were asking considering u asked more then one at a time. everytime i walk into my shed it is not cold and i go in there all times of the day moringin after noon and night. so are u happy i answerd ur question since it seemed to bother u so much that i didnt answer it soon.

leslie flenner
01-07-2004, 01:45 AM
no posts since 12/8? Why am i surprised. bunnyfoofoo you were not asked a multitude of questions, you were asked one: Is the shed warm? You tried to answer 3 times and failed to. Makes one wonder if you are able to remember to feed and give water to the bunny let alone whatever other animals you have. If you need help, please ask for it because I suspect you are not sure what you are doing. Rescue groups are there to help you if you cannot handle the responsibilities you've taken on. Call them and don't take in any more animals be it for "show" or whatever. Do not abandon them into the wild or streets just because things didn't work out, and don't just stop feeding them or giving them the care needed just because they aren't being "show" animals or the way you might like them to be.

Daisylover
01-07-2004, 11:45 AM
I have NEVER seen the point of having a pet that has to live outside, unless it has an aggressive personality or is a farm animal.

The prob w/rabbits living outdoors is that they are vulnerable to extreme changes in weather---often too cold in winter, too hot in summer; don't be fooled by ARBA.... DOMESTICATED rabbits do not tolerate big swings in the weather very well. In winter their water and food will freeze at the drop of the hat, often before they have the chance to finish their meal. In summer their fur makes them extremely vulnerable to heat stroke and death.

Rabbits are extremely social animals and being alone in a shed for the majority of the day is not going to speed up the process of having the rabbit trust you to handle him. They love life, are charming and wonderful pets.......but they still remain a PREY animal and retain those instinctive fears of their forebearers ... of anything that moves quickly, are loud and larger than they are. This is a major reason why rabbits are not respected by most people: they are viewed as timid, boring and not much more than a lump of fur when nothing could be further from the truth. Unless you are going to be outside with your rabbit for several hours a day he is not going to have the chance to develop to comical, affectionate and charming pet they can be.

Lastly, it is well-known is that outdoor rabbits have a much shorter life span than a lucky house rabbit, outdoors they avg 4-6 years, while indoor rabbits average 7-11 years; int he past year we have started to hear of 12-17 year old house rabbits.

You might go to www.rabbit.org and read up on rabbit care. They do have info on outddoor living. They are also the experts in rabbits as pets. It is my experience that ARBA and 4 H groups are more interested in rabbits as livestock, meat and show animals and neither group seems to have bothered at looking beyond this elementary view to see that rabbits have much more poertential than that.

SANDY FROST
01-07-2004, 12:03 PM
How are you and your rabbit doing? Sound like you bailed out in answering questions. If you need help with care of your rabbit ask your vet or there are lots of good books on care of animals at your local Pet co or pets mart or what ever animal warehouse is in your area. I used to have rabbits whwn I was little and my dad built a huuch with like a little box so my rabbbit could curl up and keep warm.
There was straw in there.
Sandy Frost;)

bunyfoofoo
01-07-2004, 08:40 PM
no i du not feel i have a reason to give up mi animals i du feed them every morning and water them. after school i take them out and play witht hem thast y i havent been on the computer. and i du not get y u think i cannot "take care of" mi animals they all love me. the reason they du not get to live inside is that mi mom is allergic to them and rabbits can live outside i have plenty of books on them. and as long as u put them ourt there in the summer they will be fine because then they get used to the weather and they can handle it. mi rabbits are fine. they su not seemed affected bi the weather. they all seem healthy and everything. mi vet even said they are healthy and watever i was doing to keep doing it. and if u want to hear about someone who needs to get ride of some of her bunnys.. she has her bunnys in a shed with out a door she has 13 bunnys. they have icecycles growing off there eyelashes and theyer eyes are beeing frozen shut. there wiskers are fallin off and everything, now mi bunnys are not in that condistion. they du not have anything rong. and the only thing that freezes in that shed is the water because IT WATER! and so if any of u have a problem with how i take care of mi animals u can all kiss mi a*s! im sorry i am being a bi*ch but when people tell me i cant take care of mi animals and tell me to give them to a pet helper place i find that really RUDE! so this is one of the last messages i will post on this website because i cannot take the rudeness of you people. and as far as any i am conserned i answerd the question "is mi shed warm" the way i felt it should have been answerd.

Desert Arabian
01-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Let's see, I just checked on the National Weather Service website, and the temperature is 21 degrees in Washington, and there are snow and blizzard warnings. Please do not tell me that you think a 21 degree shed is not cold for a rabbit. That's just plain sick. I don't know about in Washington, but here in Wisconsin the state does not except that crap i.e animal abuse- and you can get in some serious trouble.

If you truly love this animal and have hopes of showing it- PROPERLY CARE FOR IT- meaning keep it housed in a comfortable WARM(warm would be 60 degrees and up)place.

:( God help that beautiful rabbit! I am praying for you little bunny- that is if you haven't passed away from hypothermia by now. :(

Aspen and Misty
01-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Same here YLL. I feel so bad for the poor bunny. I know some people who have HEATED sheds and keep there rabbits in there, but I can't imagine keeping them just out in the cold. It's like you sitting in the shed (probly) on cold wire flooring with nothing to keep you warm. :(

Honestly, because it took you so long to answer me I beleave your shed isn't warm. Personally I know if my bunnies were outside I would be reluctant (sp) to fo out and feed them, it would just be to cold, I can only imagine.

Poor, Poor bunny, probly freezing right now. :(

Ashley

leslie flenner
01-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi bunyfoofoo- if it was me that offended you, I'm sorry. What I think is most important at present is the situation you described of 13 rabbits basically being neglected and freezing which equals abuse. You must be so upset by seeing this. What happened when you confronted the owners? You know, when you told them the rabbits need vet care for hypothermia and then need indoor nursing and care remainder of the winter? Did they yell at you? You could leave them info in their mailbox about discounts they can get through organizations that help. Or offer to take some of them to your warm shed maybe? Do you have room for 13 more or could you build an addition this summer?
I'm sure your bunny will be fine because you are there so much to make sure. If something does happen though, what will be your next step for your next rabbit or rabbits (if you take on the 13 abused ones?) I mean with your mom allergic, maybe the garage or cellar- are those areas free? Do you have friend that could help? Or maybe the biology lab at school? (We always had a pet in science class when i was in school). Or maybe your English class? Let me know if you need any more recommendations on how to handle this horrible situation. In the meantime, I'm sure you've contacted the local Animal Rescue organizations and reported this- Good for you! And thanks for letting us all know.