PDA

View Full Version : what am I going to do????

RICHARD
11-12-2003, 05:19 PM
This afternoon my mom called me to tell me that there was a
cat burglar in the house.........well, not a real burglar, lets just say it was a cat.......

She was washing some tomatoes in the kitchen when Eddie walks into the room, meows at her, walks to the front room, jumps into the chair to fall asleep.

I am so glad that she likes my cat...I'm glad she has no problems with him visiting.....

Now,

I just have to figure out how to keep him at home....

He pulled out the screen to the window again, climbed out and waited until my mom went out to sweep the porch.........
Edward entered the house thru the open door walked around until he heard my mom come in..

She heard a strange noise and in he walks....

Now, before you all get upset at me for being careless again.....

I took six screws and anchored the corners and sides of the screen frame to the window jamb.....apparently he managed to pop the screen off again.....I won't know until I get home....

I'm so happy he knows there is safety in my mom's house, and amazed that he hasn't run off.....

I may just attach the screen to the jamb, staple a wire screen to the jamb or just bring him to work with me....it's pretty obvious he's not to be trusted at home, alone...

I think the wonder of having a cat is turning into the horror of having a skin kid....

I mean, you can't train a child to use a litter box, can you???

:rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
RICHARD, Is Eddie trying to tell you something?:p I mean, a lot of cats Do pick their owners.......maybe he wants a divorce so he can go live with your mom? :rolleyes:

stacwase
11-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Yup - I think Ed has chosen your mom as his lifetime companion! But look on the positive side of things - your mom won't have to go looking for the perfect companion, and now you will have room for another kitty!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
RICHARD, Is Eddie trying to tell you something?:p

That's what I was thinking....instead of worrying about him all day, wondering if he's gotten out, or bringing him to work with you (is that really an option? If so, cool! :cool: ), why not just drop him off at your Mom's on your way to work, and pick him up on your way home. Sounds to me like this is what he's trying to tell you. ;) :D

CatDad
11-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
That's what I was thinking....instead of worrying about him all day, wondering if he's gotten out, or bringing him to work with you (is that really an option? If so, cool! :cool: ), why not just drop him off at your Mom's on your way to work, and pick him up on your way home. Sounds to me like this is what he's trying to tell you. ;) :D

A kitty sharing program, I like it.:D

Richard, I don't know how well that would for you, but it is neat idea.

If you want Eddie to stay in the house. I think that your idea on tacking the screen to the jamb is about the only way that you are going to keep him in. I also like the work idea, if I could do that with mine I would.:)

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

kuhio98
11-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Richard - I was wondering if Eddie has been microchipped? I worry about that boy wandering around. Kuhio got out of the house and wandered next door to our neighbors to the west of us for some company. They were in the middle of packing up the house and didn't want her to get locked in the moving van so they shooed her away. She ran 4 doors down to our neighbors to the east of us where she spent several hours. Then they called the shelter and took her away. My husband and I were out of town and our house sitter didn't even look for her. She was PTS before we could rescue her. :( I'm not trying to worry you, but I would hate anything to happen to Eddie. Where would he wander off to if your Mom wasn't home when he went looking for company? He would be defenseless if some well-intentioned neighbors tried to "rescue" him. Please ask your vet about microchipping. At least if he ever ends up at the shelter, they will scan him and you will be quickly reunited.

p.s. Maybe he's trying to tell you he wants his named change to Houdini ?? :p

slick
11-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Maybe you could just accept your Mom as a babysitter. Every day when you leave for work, drop Eddie off, then pick him when you get home.

Just think, most people have to pay for daycare.

And if it proves that Eddie prefers your Mom's place to yours, well, you know where to turn to get another kitty.

Don't feel abandoned Richard. I'm sure it's just Eddie's addiction to her fireplace.

luckies4me
11-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by kuhio98

p.s. Maybe he's trying to tell you he wants his named change to Houdini ?? :p

That's my cat's name. :D She has it because of the things she did as a kitten, in and out of everything!

Richard, does Eddie have a collar and tags on? Do what you think is right. It sounds like you are attached to the little feller, so I know letting go can be hard.

amoore
11-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Eddie is just like any other kid , he likes to go to Gramma's house !
:D

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Close the windows.....:D ;) :D

AmberLee
11-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Close the windows.....

But, ES, knowing Eddie, he'd just whip out his house key and leave via the front door!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Eddie...the latch key kitty!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Richard, I was thinking about your situation this morning on my way to work, and I don't necessarily thing that Eddie is saying he prefers Grandma over Dad. I think he is just saying that he is bored during the day and wants company! So, you either drop him off at your Mother's every morning, or you fix the window so he can't get out and you get him a little friend to keep him company during the day!

I prefer the second option. ;) :D :p :D

Amberlee - too funny! :D

RICHARD
11-13-2003, 01:02 PM
lololol..

when i got home and looked at the screen it was
destroyed....

It was broken at opposite corners and the aluminum
frame was bent....

He climbed in between the window and screen and
went to work.

My brother stopped by for lunch and was talking to my mom...people say we sound alike....he was in the window 'talking' to them.....so I think he thought I was home and ignoring him.

A collar???

lolololol

He had a blue breakaway collar that he removes
every time I put it on him...he slips his front paw between the collar and his neck and Voila'!

I guess he's going for a microchip.....

The houses are on the same lot, so in that respect
he's semi safe...i know there is still the possibility...

I like the thought of taking him to my mom's house
but....

Like any cat he's always underfoot..My mom's 75 and I am SCARED TO DEATH she may fall should he trip her up!!!! Also, mom lets the dogs in to house on occasion....he has no problems with that but I still worry....

It's more complicated than is looks on the surface...

THanks for everyone's suggestions and good thoughts...

and you know...he is a HAIRY Houdini!!!;)

micki76
11-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
or you fix the window so he can't get out and you get him a little friend to keep him company during the day!

It sounds like he's bored and needs some company. What about a playmate for him?

catland
11-13-2003, 01:35 PM
I don't blame you for being worried about your mom tripping over Eddie. My mom has broken both of her hips and it is not a fun thing to go through. (excuse me while I pop a calcium tablet)

I guess that leaves micro-chipping and getting him a playmate.:D

trayi52
11-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Hey Richard,
Maybe she is just running away from home to live with Granny. I had a dog do that one time, she got tired of the Doberman that was living with us, and she had stayed with my mom and dad while we were on vacation. Anywho, she kept running back to my mothers house. I got worried that she would be ran over by a car crossing the highway to get to my mothers house, so I had to let her go live with Granny. LOL. How she got out I don't have a clue, considering we had a fence around the yard.:confused: So, maybe there is a message in there somewhere. :D ;)

Willie

stacwase
11-13-2003, 05:21 PM
I like the idea of getting him a buddy to play with. Do you think that might help?