PDA

View Full Version : Look at this cutie-pie!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-22-2001, 09:43 AM
We went to the local Humane Society yesterday to drop off some unused toys, and had to check out all the animals while we were there. I fell in love with this guy:
http://www.toledohumanesociety.com/graphics/bandit.jpg

I LOVE black and white dogs! (Can you tell - I've got 2 of them! :p )

This guy is 2 and his name is Bandit, and while we were there, he kept picking up his squeeky ball toy and trying to get us to take it, but then he'd get so excited that he'd run away before we could get it!

Going to the Humane Society got us thinking about volunteering - I'll keep you posted! :D

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: 3-greys-and-a-mutt ]

mugsy
10-22-2001, 09:48 AM
He is a cutie. We have 2 more dogs in the house right now and one of them is a Mantle Great Dane pup (we are calling her Daisy) and I gotta tell you if DeeDee (the Border Collie mix) were bigger I would swear she and Daisy were litter mates. They are both black and white and they are so cute together. Right now, they are both laying on the couch next to each other and Sophie is there too and she is solid black. A designer's dream! lol

zippy-kat
10-22-2001, 09:53 AM
Bandit is waaaayyyyy cute!

*adooooooooooopt him, adooooooooopt him, adooooooooopt him!*

Daisy's Mom
10-22-2001, 04:26 PM
What a sweet face! I love the droopy ears! Being a Basset mommy, I am drawn to them :)

tatsxxx11
10-22-2001, 04:46 PM
Ah Bandit! Who can resist you and your beautiful "spat" markings :) I just love B&W pups too! Hope your forever home, filled with lots of love and squeekys, is not long for the waiting, precious Bandit.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-22-2001, 08:20 PM
Bandit is so adorable, it breaks my heart to see all those beautiful dogs without homes.
Jackie

Sudilar
10-22-2001, 10:09 PM
Adorable!!

delidog
10-23-2001, 04:56 AM
what a beautiful "tuxedo" dog...he looks just like my delilah!!! the deli dog!!!! please say that you adopted him!!!!!!!!!!i know that you would be wonderful pet humans!!!! the deli dog :) ;)

Pam
10-23-2001, 06:22 AM
Bandit is such a cutie-pie! I do hope that he gets adopted soon. What a playful little guy with so much love to give someone, and I do believe he seems to be smiling like our own Graham, Pet Talk's resident smiler! :D

karen israel
10-23-2001, 12:08 PM
If I could, I would..in a heartbeat!!
What a handsome fella!!!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-23-2001, 01:09 PM
If only I had all the time and money in the world - I'd own all the ones that needed homes!!! But four is our limit, both financially and time-wise!

This one though is also so tempting:
http://www.tlcmi.org/images/Buddy_Body.jpg http://www.tlcmi.org/images/Buddy_Head.jpg
He has been up for adoption through a nearby Michigan greyhound rescue for over a year now. It breaks my heart every time I see his picture! His name is Buddy, and they call him a spook - he's extremely skittish! And one of the saddest things is that today is his third birthday :( :( :(

(My) Buddy's brother, Able, is still racing, but he would be tempting too when the time comes for him to get adopted.

Too many dogs, not enough of me! :(

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: 3-greys-and-a-mutt ]

zippy-kat
10-23-2001, 02:12 PM
Just curious...

How come most greyhounds sport a really wide collar?

wolflady
10-23-2001, 03:06 PM
3-greys, I know what you mean! I wish I could just adopt all the lovable doggies that need a home!! Buddy is just gorgeous and Bandit is a doll!! I have been thinking about doing a rescue greyhound when I feel the time is right for a dog, but wanted some information on the process and all and what it's like to teach them the normal activities of new everyday living! Maybe you could help me out on this!! I've been wanting a dog for a very long time and have done research on multiple different kinds of dogs that I love...but I do feel a rescue of some kind is the best way to to. It's just that I work so much right now that I've put adopting on hold...
Zippy, I think the reason why greyhounds wear wide collars is because they can easily slip out of regular collars due to the small streamlined proportion of their heads. And, it's not advised to put a choker coller around their neck as their skin is thin and can tear easily!! So, they have these "elizabethan" collars made for dogs like the greyhound, borzoi, etc...that they can't slip their heads out of. I'm sure 3-greys will be able to answer the question better though! :D :D

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-23-2001, 03:25 PM
Yes - wolflady is exactly right about the collars. All sighthounds should wear 'Martingale' Collars; here's more about them:
"Sighthound Collars
The safest and most commonly used collar for all Sighthounds is the "double-loop" safety collar, know in some parts of the USA as a "martingale" or "humane safety choke" collar. Quite simply, it is two loops, the outer loop being adjustable to the size of the dog's neck. The smaller loop is often referred to as the "the handle" and has a D-ring on it. When a leash is attached to the D-ring, the outer loop tightens around the dog's neck and prevents the dog sliding backward out of the collar. The restraint is firm and secure, but never pinches or gags the dog. Most adoption agencies in America send this type of plain webbing collar along when a greyhound is adopted out to a new home."

The collars don't have to be thick. The ones that we use are just an inch wide. We use the plain, solid color martingales from Premeir, but some people get really fancy with their greyhound collars:
http://duds4buds.com/photos-products/collar_blue_lavribbon_tn.jpg
Sorry to say that I don't have $50 to spend on a custom-made collar!!!!

wolflady - greyhounds are wonderful, loving pets! I learned alot about the breed by reading a few books, plus the practical experience of living with them over the past year-and-a-half! I'll try to drop you an e-mail tonight, and maybe I can help you with some of your questions!

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: 3-greys-and-a-mutt ]

mugsy
10-23-2001, 03:32 PM
Buddy is such a sweetie! I, like everyone else on this list, would love to take all of them. Our house is already trashed with all that we have, but, you know what, I really don't care a lot. Where is he in Michigan? I know a lady here in Fort Wayne that has 2 rescue Greys and maybe she might want him. Also, the director of the SPCA here works with the Italian Greyhound rescue and she might have some contacts for you. Again, Buddy is a doll...one of the prettiest greys I've seen (other than yours 3 greys lol)

wolflady
10-23-2001, 05:15 PM
Thanks 3-greys, that would be great!! :D :D

shais_mom
10-24-2001, 12:58 AM
OOOHHHH Jessica!!
I am like dying here looking at Buddy "Spook" he is so PRETTY!!
I can atest living with a greyhound for 2 precious years, they are wonderful, sweet, sensitive souls. They are God's gift.
They are so expressionful (if that is a word).
Shaianne was the first greyhound I had ever seen and she came home with me!! She was God's gift to me for a short time and I cherish it. I would reccommend the breed to anyone!!!

AdoreMyDogs
10-24-2001, 06:07 AM
Wow what beautiful and adorable dogs, both Bandit and Buddy. I love them both. I did not need to hear that that greyhound was in Michigan!!! That's so tempting! If Graham were not so anti brother and sister, I'd maybe go and take a look at Buddy. I think he's absolutely stunning. What a shame that he's been without a forever home in over a year :( That's such a huge shame. Poor, beautiful Buddy.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-24-2001, 08:03 AM
Isn't Buddy stunning?
Mugsy, the adoption group that has him is scattered around Michigan; some of the people live in Grand Rapids, Detroit, Kalamazoo, even Traverse City. I'm not quite sure where their holding kennels are. I don't know alot about the group, because they aren't the closest adoption agency to us. We did talk to them over a year-and-a-half ago, when we were looking for dog number two, but we ended up finding our Buddy through our local group.
The Michigan group seems to usually use foster homes for their adoptable dogs, but this sweet Buddy appears to be in a holding kennel. His picture is down at the bottom of the page on their website. I don't know if they just aren't pushing him, or if he really is such a spook that no one wants to adopt him. I used to love to check out this groups website, because I love seeing all the doggies. But lately I can't do it because it makes me cry every time I see this dog still there! :(
The website is TLC Michigan (http://www.tlcmi.org). I hope that maybe something can work out with your friend in Fort Wayne!

mugsy
10-24-2001, 11:10 AM
I will try to get a hold of her yet this week and see if she is interested. I'll give her the web address. I hope someone takes him soon...he's too sweet to be alone.

sabies
11-19-2001, 02:27 PM
Bandit is adorable! His picture makes him look like a whippet mix, the same type of dog I have now. I love black and white dogs too though my dog Sadie is mostly black. I didn't know much about whippets when I got her (she was a rescue) but I've learned whippets are exactly the type of dog I like (love to run but inside they are couch potatoes). Hope Bandit finds a great home, once I own a place I'll be looking for another just like him!

delidog
11-20-2001, 05:36 AM
does anyone have an update on bandit and/or buddy?????? have they found forever homes????i have fallen for them both!!!!! please lets' hear some good news!?!?!?!

delidog
11-20-2001, 08:16 PM
;)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-21-2001, 10:55 AM
Both of them are still listed as "available" on their respective group's website. Bandit is on the Toledo Humane Society page at Bandit (http://www.toledohumanesociety.com/dogadopt.html) and Buddy is on the TLC Michigan website at Buddy (http://www.tlcmi.org). Bandit was so cute and friendly, that I suspect that maybe he has been adopted, and the humane society just hasn't updated their website. TLC did update their website on Nov. 20, so I know for sure that Buddy is still available. :( :( :( I truly chokes me up every time I think about Buddy - no dog should be homeless for that long! He has been up for adoption for well over a year-and-a-half. :( :( :( I wish I had the time and money, especially the time, for him.

Does anyone want a greyhound? :(

delidog
12-04-2001, 05:53 AM
i have great news!!!!!! i wrote to the toledo facility and they answered me....bandit was adopted last week...buddy is still there...they are a no kill facility...she said they have animals over a year sometimes!!!! but they find them homes!!!! i am so happy for bandit....i was almost ready to drive up there for him...the deli dog :D :)

delidog
12-10-2001, 05:44 AM
;)