PDA

View Full Version : Robert Durst

Tonya
11-11-2003, 11:14 PM
I am so fired up right now that I don't know if I can even comment. This just makes me sick. See what money can buy?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/989754.asp

Twisterdog
11-11-2003, 11:58 PM
Oh my.

I'm speechless.

Wow.

popcornbird
11-12-2003, 01:02 AM
:mad: :mad:

What an unjust world we live in.

:(

2kitties
11-12-2003, 08:17 AM
I heard about that on the news this morning! I haven't been following the case but at first glance it seems CRAZY!

Logan
11-12-2003, 08:31 AM
I heard bits and pieces about this on the Today Show this morning. They had four of the jurors on the show. When interviewed, they stood behind their decision to aquit him of the charges. Screwy thing, isn't it?? :confused:

tatsxxx11
11-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Horrific isn't it! I'd been following it on Court TV. But as horrific as the verdict was, I think the jury, following the instructions as given by the judge, and Texas law, didn't have much of a choice. Durst had already confessed to the murder itself and the dismemberment of the body. But, Durst's defense was "self defense." Under Texas law, when a defendant claims self defense, it is up to the prosection to prove it was NOT self defense!!:confused: Apparently, Texans hold dearly their right to "self defense" against invasion of their body, home, property and laws so broadly protecting this right have been passed and even tested and upheld in the Texas State Supreme Court.

Apparently there was not enough forensic evidence, no eye witness to prove it wasn't self defense! As testified by Durst, the bullet went into the head of the deceased, but, (sorry about this) the head was never found. Perhaps if it had been, the prosecution could have determined say, if he was shot in the back of the head. Without it, they will never know what really happened. What frightens me is that this guy is suspected of killing at least two other people, one of whom is/was his first wife who has been missing since 1982.

RICHARD
11-12-2003, 11:30 AM
i am sorry but not only did this freak kill the guy...HE CUT UP THE BODY!!!

and he skated on the whole deal????

I GIVE UP!!

Twisterdog
11-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Ok ... I'm not speechless anymore. LOL

Originally posted by RICHARD
i am sorry but not only did this freak kill the guy...HE CUT UP THE BODY!!!

and he skated on the whole deal????

I GIVE UP!!

Exactly!

Hey, I also "hold dearly their right to "self defense" against invasion of their body, home, property". You break into my house to harm me or my child, and I'm going to shoot you, too! However .... shooting someone in self-defense does NOT involve covering up the crime and dismembering and hiding the body! If you kill someone in self-defense, you know all along you are not guilty. The first thing I would do in that situation is call 911 and say, "I just shot someone in self-defense. He broke into my house and had a knife. Send the police." You don't get out the carving knife and the garbage bags! :rolleyes:

To me, the very fact that he tried to hide it points to the fact that it is anything BUT self-defenses. :rolleyes:

Cookiebaker
11-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Very well said, Twister!

Not only is he suspected of killing 2 other people; but he jumped bail AND he is guilty of shoplifting.

I just couldn't believe when I heard that they let him off. Sometimes life is sooo unfair.

tatsxxx11
11-12-2003, 05:43 PM
I agree with you completely, Twisterdog! As a matter of fact, much of today's post trial commentary centered around the fact that the prosecution failed to pursue other charges that would have assured at least in part, a guilty verdict. Even in cases of self defense, it is a felony to dismember the body. This charge was never filed and the jury never given that abomination to consider.:( I believe it carries a 10-20 yr. sentence)

lovemyshiba
11-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Disgusting.:mad:

Tonya
11-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Not only is he suspected of killing 2 other people; but he jumped bail AND he is guilty of shoplifting.

The guys sounds psycho to me! And he was posing as a mute woman for a while there.

2kitties
11-13-2003, 08:43 AM
<<--plans to stay far far away from this man.