PDA

View Full Version : Pets Assisting in the Healing Process

magcpen
11-11-2003, 07:57 PM
A relative recently had neurosurgery, and is now (for obvious reasons) not feeling very well at all. While resting at our house one evening she mentioned that it would be nice to have a cat for her to stroke while she rested, which was something I had been thinking about, a pet to help her recover. I mentioned that to her, and she said it would be nice, but she and my uncle both have to work, and she would feel bad about having to leave it alone. But I know she wouldn't/shouldn't be working for awhile, and I know that with certain pets it's okay for them to be left alone for a reasonable amount of time, and I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions/ suggestions on this topic? Would it be a good idea, and if so, are there certain species/breeds better for recovering people? Thanks. :)

slick
11-11-2003, 09:12 PM
I think it would be a marvelous idea!!!! It has been proven time and time again that pets can bring well-being to the sick and elderly and speed up the healing process.

As for what, I would suggest a quiet adult kitty. I'm sure you can find one at your local shelter. Kittens get into too much mischief to be left alone. I don't know much about breeds, but I would think it shouldn't matter, it's the personality of the cat that you have to look at. Shelters around here don't usually have pedigrees; it's the Heinz 57's that show up.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

11-12-2003, 01:54 AM
My cats are perfect nurses!! i had neuro-surgery too, in June, and look who took such great care of me:
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/poezen%20zorgen%20voor%20zieke%20mama%203.jpg

lynnestankard
11-12-2003, 05:26 AM
What a wonderful idea - and I'd echo - cats every time.

Every time I've been really poorly - it's always the cats that have helped in the healing process - I agree with Slick - an adult cat would be better - kitties want to play!

Good Luck with the smashing idea xx

Lynne

stacwase
11-12-2003, 06:41 AM
That would be wonderful! I got the book "Chicken Soup for the Cat and Dog Lovers Soul" and it talks about how animals help people heal. I agree - a calm older cat! They're very low maintenance and very comforting.

G.P.girl
11-12-2003, 08:58 AM
i thihnk it's a great idea! cats have always made me feel better when i'm sick. (even though i've never had neurosurgery) a grownup itty wouldn't get in ton too much trouble if left alone, usually...

magcpen
11-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Thank you for the input everyone. :) I will show my Mom this thread , and hopefully she can bring it up with me uncle. Thanks again. :)

Corinna
11-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Cats are great for this purpose. But It has been found that nursing homes that had fish tanks and those residents who watched the fish 30 mintues a day had lowered there blood pressures.