PDA

View Full Version : Flashing tags?

My Peanuts
11-11-2003, 03:41 PM
I cannot see Sylvia at night when I take her outside because she is so black. I want to get her a flashing tag for her collar. I know they are inexpensive, but I thought I'd ask you guys if there are any brands in particular that are good. I'm looking for a water proof tag that I can manually turn off and on. I found several different ones on the Internet, but I don't know of anyone that used them. Thanks for any help.

G.P.girl
11-11-2003, 04:10 PM
i've never even heard of those before. it's a good idea though

dukedogsmom
11-11-2003, 04:35 PM
I got one for free somehow from Purina one but Duke hates it! It's kind of bulky but it's really cute. It's in the shape of a dog bone. I will still use it at night but he doesn't like it. Think it makes his collar to heavy or something. I was going to let him wear it all the time.

Pam
11-11-2003, 06:48 PM
I have the same problem with Ripley. When I let him out with Bella I can see her just fine but he blends in with the night. :) I had a collar in my hand at PetsMart just the other day that is supposed to be reflective. I was wondering how well it would work at a considerable distance. I have never heard of a flashing tag but would be interested to learn more. :) By the way, give that little sweetie a hug from me. I just love Sylvia. :)

anna_66
11-11-2003, 07:17 PM
We actually went through a couple of those with Roxey. They didn't last too long because the girls would play & it would get broke:( but it was great when it worked!

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Here's a couple *links* for semi-cheap "Flashing Dog Tags"...

JeffersPet.com Flashing Tags (http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?pf_id=287&id=10731&link=1000&c=3)
Another Jeffers Light (and battery price) (http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=1B2LHBFU1T5Q9N8X4PFMEGRP2RKUDB8A&pf_id=271)

Flashing Tag (BOTTOM of the page) (http://www.dogsupplies.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/reflective.html?E+dsstore)

A few thoughts...

These Tags are DESIGNED for dogs (waterproof and sorta small).
BUT they "feature" NO On/Off switch and "automatic" operation requiring Darkness AND Motion... Two features that may NOT be so *neat*...

The fact that you can NOT turn them off - means Fido will Light Up when he rolls over onna BigBed at Oh-Dark:Thirty every night... That might get *tiresome* on the second or third night :rolleyes:
You could fix the "bed problem" by adding a snap clip to the light - snap it onto the collar when you want it, then snap it off when Fido comes in.

And the requirement for *Motion* could be a problem when Fido sits down under his Favorite Squwerrel Tree to stalk a kritter... pffft - OUT goes his Blinkie Lite - JUST when you're looking for it! :mad:

The Jeffer's prices (first link) are CHEAP - if you can ignore the $6.00 shipping cost...
But the Button Cell Batteries may not be too cheap to replace :eek:.

Cinder has LOTS of experience with these things...
She gets to wear a FireFighter's Blinkie Light clamped to her collar - Much Heavier than these Doggie Designs, AND a 2" x 3" Brass Bell :eek: cliped onto her collar ring... when she acts like she's Overly Excited to get out for a late night poddy break. The combination of the Noisy Bell AND the obnoxious Flashing Yellow Light tend to slow her down and prevent dashes off into the night after roaming kritters!

And somewhere in my vast collection of lost toys & trinkets, I've got a flashing light thingy (similar to the FireFighter's Light) - that was designed to mount to a bicycle handlebar. It's quite bright and does have an On/Off switch.

Shop aroud - these lights MAY be available in some of the pet stores. Be sure to check on the cost of replacement batteries before you buy. And if you have a Bike Shop nearby - check there, too.

Cinder?
Just LOVES IT :mad: when she gets all decked out with her klanger bell and Blinkie Light! Looks and Sounds like a Gypsy Caravan pulling into towne! :p

REFLECTIVE Tags or Collars??
"Reflective" things REQUIRE external light be shining on or towards them before they "light up"... In other words, they don't glow UNTILL a light shines on them. That's OK if you want to *search* for Fido with a flashlight - once the beam hits him and the collar, he'll *glow* :) back at you. These LIGHTED collar tags are always giving of their blinking light - you can spot the light in total darkness.

Reflective collars do help if a dog crosses a street in front of a car at night - IF the collar isn't covered by the dog's fur coat. But a lot of the reflective materials wear out quickly and crack or flake off. FireFighter Reflective Trim would be great - but it's difficult to make and attach to a narrow collar. Our turnout coats have 2" and 3" wide trim - a bit much for Fido's collar. :(

/s/ Phred

Rio and Me
11-12-2003, 03:42 AM
I have a Reflective flashing collor, it brill, i wouldnt be without one,
I would say that they are better thantags as they are bigger !!! lots more lights etc!! battery time is about 50hrs (changeable)
Ky and Rio

Tonya
11-12-2003, 07:25 AM
I have never heard of such a thing! That's brilliant. I think Teddy needs a freakin' siren too. That little brat is always dashing. :p

My Peanuts
11-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the input and experiences. I'm going to buy either a reflective collar or a flashing tag soon, but now I don;t know which one! :D

micki76
11-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Here's one that you can tirn on and off.

Drs Foster & Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2933&D=collars&Ntt=collars&Dx=mode+matchallany&Ntk=All&Nao=27&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Np=1&N=2001&Nty=1)