PDA

View Full Version : At the shelter...

horse_1987
10-16-2001, 04:47 PM
Today I began my voleenter work at the local humane society. For my first day there i decided i'd take some dogs out for a walk. I was there for 3 hours and I walked 6 dogs. one every 1/2 hour, that way they got a decent walk. Choosing 6 dogs out of the 30 that are up for adoption was the hardest decision to make. My heart broke when i was walking past all the cages. all the dogs were barking and jumping around their cages except for a tri-coloured beagle in cage 18. he was laying in the far right corner of his cage, resting his head on his paws. He was the first one i walked, he is the sweetest dog ever! I think he was abused because he is really shy. I had to walk really slow, and i talked to him the whole time. He didn't have a name so i called him Buddy. The lady at the front desk said that he was abandoned there, then he got adopted, and then he was abandoned there again :(

I could have stayed there forever and the dogs all loved the attention. The 6 dogs i walked all had the time of their lives. I walked them, played with them, rubbed their tummies, gave them treats, and brushed them. As upsetting as it is there, its the best job ever. I did it in some rain today, and i plan to do it all winter too.

Sudilar
10-16-2001, 04:59 PM
Congratulations to you! What a wonderful and also sad job to have. You are bringing joy to some poor dogs who really need it. My hat goes off to you! I admire you!

Sue

aly
10-16-2001, 05:00 PM
I am going to have to agree that it is the best work EVER. I've been volunteering and working with the local humane society for almost 2 years now and IT IS GREAT! I can't imagine my life without the shelter. The shelter IS my life (besides my babies at home of course).

When I first starting doing shelter work, I kept thinking a lot of them were abused too. A lot actually are, but some are just so scared to death of the environment that they sort of act like it.

I'm so glad you're doing this. Its so much fun and you get so much out of doing it. I almost feel selfish for doing it because I enjoy it SO much! I feel like I should pay the shelter to let me come in, hehe!!

tatsxxx11
10-16-2001, 06:29 PM
Aly, "horse," I was wondering. Is your Humane Society shelter a no kill shelter? I live down the road from the ASPCA local shelter. It is a wonderful place. The people who contribute, the kennel environment and facilities, the volunteers, are all so wonderful. I try to go to visit the dogs and cats and critters as often as I can; contribute goods, visit with the critters, dogs and cats. But I always leave in tears, fearful to return, because I know that some of them will not be adopted, be sent to the Rainbow Bridge. And it's almost unbearable to return to see their cages empty. They try VERY hard not to take the final step. They rotate them among many shelters in S.E. Mass.; ones that at the moment have more room. But, I was just wondering how you cope with the loss. I know. If people such as yourselves were not there to give them the love and attention they so desperately need, what would their lives be like while they are waiting to be adopted? Thank you so much for giving them so much love and a chance to feel happiness. "horse," Aly, I know the joy you speak of. And I envy you. You are both very special. Sandra

aly
10-16-2001, 06:40 PM
The one here is no-kill. We put down about 10 dogs a year, most for health reasons but a few very extreme temperament reasons. Those losses are incredibly hard for me. What I do to help deal with the pain is just get myself out of bed, get to the shelter, and help as many dogs as I possibly can in the name of the dog that was recently lost. I counsel people on shelter dogs to ensure that if they adopt one of our dogs, we will never see it in the shelter again. It really helps to go do your work in the name of a lost dog. You'll find yourself working extra hard that day, and although the pain is still there, you feel better because you know that you helped save other lives because of that special dog who was sent to Rainbow Bridge before its time. Now, if I had to deal with it on a daily basis, I'd be in the fetal position.

But one of the girls that works at the Humane Society and I promised ourselves that we would start volunteering at the kill shelter just once a month at first. We'll just walk them and play with them and clean them up, then leave. We won't come back for at least 2-4 weeks so this way we won't have to know what happened to them. I know that sounds bad, but the dogs there REALLY need some help and it is the only way we can handle it mentally.

Logan
10-16-2001, 08:20 PM
I can transport all the rescues in the world to their new homes, drive 1000s of miles, but I would never equal what you shelter volunteers do, Aly, Horse, others. I want to applaud you loudly, over and over, http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/yelclap.gif , maybe one day, I can bring myself to do what you do.

Thank you, thank you.
Logan

mugsy
10-16-2001, 08:57 PM
I volunteer at our local SPCA (when I'm not in a wheelchair because I don't pay attention!). I can't go to Animal Care and Control. I couldn't go in and see a dog one day and not the next and know he/she wasn't adopted. I would be a mess. Our SPCA is no kill here (the only one in the immediate area) and therefore is always full. And Logan, what you do is no less important than volunteering at a shelter, you give a new life to an animal that might not otherwise get that chance. So, I applaude you just a much as the volunteers on this subject.

10-16-2001, 09:05 PM
wonderful

lizbud
10-16-2001, 09:39 PM
Horse,
God Love You for volunteering to be a friend
to these homeless ones..I think every hour,
every 1/2 hr or even the least little
kindness you show them matters so much..
They never forget it. It does matter so much.
I admire you & your kind heart very much!!!

Aly,Logan,Mugsy,Horse..You are my heros!!!

Daisy's Mom
10-16-2001, 10:02 PM
Horse, Aly, mugsy... you guys are absolutely wonderful and I look up to the three of you! You too, Logan! You're all doing something to change the world one little life at a time!

mugsy
10-17-2001, 12:06 AM
Thanks to all for the compliments...sometimes it feels like the uphill battle is becoming overwhelming, but you're right...any bit of attention means everything to them. I look around the room at my crew sleeping all over the floor and couch and wish that all dogs could have this...I just wish I could save them all. I think that everyone should be able to experience the good feeling of volunteering at a shelter of any kind.

tatsxxx11
10-17-2001, 06:58 AM
......."We'll just walk them and play with them and clean them up, then leave. We won't come back for at least 2-4 weeks so this way we won't have to know what happened to them. I know that sounds bad, but the dogs there REALLY need some help and it is the only way we can handle it mentally".............

As you posted above Aly, that is exactly what I have to do. I will visit, help out, drop off supplies and toys and treats. But, I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks to go back. That way, if a dog is no longer there, I say to myself, "he or she was adopted...." I pray for the day that "kill" shelters are a thing of the past.

Dixieland Dancer
10-17-2001, 10:05 AM
I would like to give everyone on Pet Talk who volunteers at the shelters a round of applause. You are all my heros! I also think the Pet Transport volunteers are equally wonderful!

Keep up the wonderful work you all do! :D :D :D

kobieeli
10-17-2001, 11:43 AM
Everyone who gives their time to the animals is doing a wonderful thing. It takes so little to make the shelter pets happy (a tummy rub, a walk, a short game of fetch), and that's a sad statement about their condition....Keep doing what you guys do! :)

AdoreMyDogs
10-17-2001, 01:02 PM
Hurray to those who help shelter animals! It is not an easy job, at least for me it was not. I get attached. That's my problem. I usually would just go in and help out, feed, water, walk, bathe, brush, or rub tummies, but sometimes there is a *special* one that looks at me in a different way, perhaps that dog looks at me at a soul level and leaving without that *special* one effects me tremendously. Graham was one of those special ones, and I was not allowed dogs when I adopted him. I am afraid to go back to the shelter because Graham has proven to me many times that he is only happy as an only dog, he does not want a sibling...be they cat or dog. I am usually strong and have an easy time keeping myself shielded from all those needy souls, but in the rare case that one touches me in a way only few have, I am just setting myself up for perhaps a lifetime of regret. All of the shelters by me have a very high kill rate. I don't know what I would do if one of the rare special dogs touched my soul, and it had only days or hours to live before it was put to death like most of the dogs that walk through those doors. I would either adopt it and let Graham live out the rest of his years as an unhappy dog, or I could let it die and forever regret it. I donate alot of money, leshes, collars, food, toys and blankies, and participate in walks to raise money for the Michigan Humane Society but I am afraid I can't volunteer at the actual shelter unless my beloved Graham is no longer on this earth with me. I owe it to Graham to honor his desire of being an only pet. By not going and walking/playing with dogs, I never see what it is that I am missing out on. It still saddens me, and always will, that there are so many homeless animals, but I will do what I can for them from a safe distance.

The only no-kill shelter near me that I know of is not exactlly a no-kill shelter. They will donate (or sell at a very low discount price) animals that have been at the shelter for an extended amount of time to science. So they provide companion animals unfortunate enough to land themselves in the shelter, to science, which means they will do who knows what kind of tests to those poor animals! They would wish they had of been humanely euthinized :mad:

horse_1987
10-17-2001, 03:31 PM
Thanx everyone.

tatsxxx11: at the humane society where i work we only put dogs to sleep that are either in pain or are really old dogs and have been there for a long time (i asked). thats another really sad thing about it, more people want younger dogs, and they don't care about the elderly :(

Its a very hard job to have because of some of the abuse cases. There were two small white dogs there, im not sure what breed they were, that were rescued from a puppy mill and you should of seen them, they were a complete wreck. they were scared of things like brushes, toys, and leashes. they got adopted a while ago :)

Oh, and my dad might let me adopt Buddy(the tri beagle)!!! :D when i went to see him today he was still really upset. I hope my dad lets me.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-17-2001, 04:04 PM
All of you, the Shelter Workers, Logan the Transporter are so brave and strong doing a job most of us could not do. I can only speak for myself but I could not go to a shelter and see those poor animals not knowing if they will be there the next time you visit, thinking of what happened to them, wondering if they may have got a home or not. It takes a strong person mentally to be able to cope with this, that's why I cannot look at the pictures of those abused, starving and maimed. I don't have that strength in me, and I applaud and appreciate all of you who are strong enough to do this work. The best I can do is give money or sign a petition or send a letter, you all truly are my Heros and we all thank you.
Jackie

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

mugsy
10-17-2001, 04:07 PM
Horse, I hope your dad lets you have the beagle too. We have one and we love him. One of my kids in class calls him "One eyed Jack" because we had to have one of his eyes removed because the guy who had him before kept him outside and didn't pay attention to him, except to hunt and Billy (then Debo)got something in his eye and it exploded his lens and caused cataracts and glaucoma and it was causing him pain. You won't regret it, they are wonderful little things...little dog with big dog attitude.

aly
10-17-2001, 04:13 PM
Leslie, I cannot believe they donate some of their animals to science. Regardless of if they have been there a long time or not, that is completely disgusting.

I feel so fortunate to live near such a wonderful shelter after hearing how many live in places that don't have no-kill shelters.

wolflady
10-17-2001, 05:27 PM
Hello, sorry...I don't normally post on the "dog boards" much since I don't have a dog yet, but I just had to say that I admire all of you guys. Anyone involved in the welfare of animals...in whatever way serves them best be it volunteering in shelters, giving time, money, toys, food...etc, or transportation...it all makes a difference! I was curious too, how those of you that have to deal with the unpleasant aspects (putting animals down) handle. I've volunteered in a no-kill cat rescue, and it's been great. I've volunteered in a wildlife rehabilitation center and it's been great too. They have had to put animals down at the wildlife center due to extreeme cases of illness or injury...but not when I've actually been there...so I was a little removed from that aspect. They did show me the freezer where they kept the bodies though! :eek: This is to ensure that they are 'disposed' of properly. I think once a week or month (can't remember), someone comes and collects all the deceased.
I've also volunteered at a wolf education and research park in Indiana during my college years...and that was the best!!! But, the whole reason for my rambling (sorry about this!!!), is here in California in the techie field things are not doing so well. I've gotten a 40% paycut and more work, so I have been on the lookout on an off for quite some time for a new job...just in case. I've always wanted to work with animals, and I have this "pull" telling me that it's what I am meant to do. Hard to explain. Anyway, I was on the city of Sunnyvale, CA's website and there was an opening for an animal control officer! I applied. I tell you what, I read and re-read the description and requirements and all of that. There is a plethora of tests and interviews that I will have to go through if I even get chosen for the first round. I probably won't qualify, but hey...I figured it wouldn't hurt to put my application in! Along with the application was a questionaire with 3 questions I had to answer...and one was "how would you handle the more 'unpleasant' tasks of animal control'. It really got me to thinking. It's hard, but overall I think it would be a good position, because for every one that we would probably have to put down, there would be another we are saving. Has anyone worked in animal control?? Any advice on that subject?? :)

mugsy
10-17-2001, 06:59 PM
wolflady, did you go to Purdue? I know there is a wolf refuge in that area. I would love to go, wolves are so majestic. I have wolf stuff as well as loon stuff and dog stuff and eagle stuff all over our house. As far as animal control, I could never do it. I would be a mental mess. So I can't answer to that. I always volunteer at our local no-kill SPCA. In fact my husband is starting tonight to redesign their website. I always go and work with the dogs or help in the giftshop.

Logan
10-17-2001, 07:05 PM
Karen (Wolflady)......I am sorry about the job situation and that you would even have to think about finding partime or fulltime work, but WOW :eek: !!! What a perfect animal control officer you would make.....and if only we could have thousands of people like you in that position across the country, things would get better. Hurrah for you for even trying.....I'm not sure I could have the strength...Bless you for even considering it. What a blessing you would be to those poor, scared animals.

Logan

wolflady
10-18-2001, 12:29 PM
Mugsy, yeah! I went to Purdue! I was on the 5 year plan...LOL LOL...I didn't really know what I wanted to do when I started college. I really wanted to go into Biology...but they required me to take engineering math :mad: LOL LOL So, I was disappointed that I couldn't go into that. It's wierd...math has always been a weak point for me, and the sciences...biology etc have always been my strong point. Go figure... :rolleyes: Anyhow, I started out in Business Mgmt in the school of Krannert, but didn't really feel it was for me, so my Junior year I switched into Computer technology. Too bad I didn't know about the animal science major! Oh well...I passed my time in the marching band, varsity, and collegiate bands too, and of course...yup! I worked at Wolf Park there in Battleground, IN. Have you been there? It's great! Every friday night is howl night at 7:30 (or at least it was when I was there) and saturdays at 1pm they do a wolf/bison demonstration. I loved it there! I got to know all the wolves and staff. It was great! Did you go (or are you going) to Purdue?? I have some good friends that live in Ft. Wayne that I try to visit at least once a year (now that I'm here in CA). :D

Logan, thanks for the words of encouragement. I got a call from the HR department yesterday asking for 4 references...so they can process my application! Gulp! We'll see what happens! I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted on this issue..especially if I'm called in for all those tests...yikes!!!

mugsy
10-18-2001, 12:53 PM
No wolflady, unfortunately I haven't visited, but would love to. If I do go it would have to be a one day thing since we have 11 dogs and I wouldn't want to leave them overnight. Let me know when you are coming to Fort Wayne and maybe we could meet. I went to IPFW and for 4 years majored in Geology, and like you the math did me in..they required a year of Calculus and I couldn't handle that...in fact the class I hated even more was Physics...OH MY GOD do I suck at Physics...ask my dad and my husband, they can tell you stories that will have you rolling on the floor. I switched to Education ( Oh I was on the SEVEN year plan!) and in December 1988 I started substituting here in Fort Wayne and finally in November 1995 I got a contract at Shawnee Middle School. Are you working with computers now? My husband is a computer tech and he just got downsized so is out looking for a job. Actually it sounds like you're kind of in the same boat. Good luck with your job search and interviews.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-18-2001, 03:04 PM
Wolflady, I just want to wish you good luck, I agree with Logan we need more people like you in Animal Control who really do care about the animals and not that it's just a job.
Jackie