PDA

View Full Version : Lest We Forget

slick
11-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Let's take time out today to pause and reflect on those who have lost their lives to save our countries. For us Canadians, it's Remembrance Day and for your people state-side, I think it's Veterans Day. My Grandfather lost his life through war and I pray that those overseas now will return to their families safe.

luckies4me
11-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks for posting this. I will keep overyone oversees in my thoughts and prayers. My father and grandfather are veterans.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-11-2003, 10:39 AM
And just to clarify, I believe Veterans Day is to honor all Veterans, not just those who gave their lives. I belive Memorial Day is to honor those who lost their lives....but I could be wrong.

Anway, thanks, Slick, for starting this post. Terry was/is a Marine and did 2 tours in Vietnam and was in Cuba before that, so he has definitely done his share. And one of his pet peeves is Veterans Day. Yes, that's right. What he wants to know is why do the banks and the government employees get off work, when he - an actual veteran - still has to work? If you think about it, he is so right. The veterans should have the day off, not the government employees - some of whom are responsible for our guys being in harms way in the first place!

Anyway, a big heart felt THANK YOU! to all the veterans out there. The US could not and would not be the great country it is without you! :)

Logan
11-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Thank you, Slick, for the wonderful reminder. All of those who have fought for our freedoms in the past, and those currently serving in our armed forces, are in my prayers today and always.

Logan

gini
11-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

And one of his pet peeves is Veterans Day. Yes, that's right. What he wants to know is why do the banks and the government employees get off work, when he - an actual veteran - still has to work?

Anyway, a big heart felt THANK YOU! to all the veterans out there. The US could not and would not be the great country it is without you! :)

I could not agree with you more - on BOTH points.

Thank You! to all veterans for all you have done for your country.

11-11-2003, 12:32 PM
What a nice thought, Slick! Thanks in the name of ALL veterans!!

RICHARD
11-11-2003, 12:41 PM
T&P,

you are corrrect!!!! Mem day is just that....
we remember the departed....

I don't mind working on Vet's day.
There's someone in uniform that would love to be at home, with their families.....

It's only fitting that THIS day should be THEIRS..

Logan
11-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Today is a bank holiday. Am I off?? NO. It's because I'm not in the bank branch. But that's ok. I still remember, and I guess that's what is important. I can remember when I did work in a branch and I was just happy for a day off from work, but now that I am a bit older, I know the true meaning of Veteran's Day. They (active and retired and deceased) are all in my prayers. :)

wolfsoul
11-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Wow, in the states they call it Veteran's day? I didn't know that! Here we call it Rememberance Day. :)

My great grandpa fought in both wars. He lived in both, and helped to save all of us. :)

binka_nugget
11-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks for posting this Slick. I was mad at myself for sleeping at 11am. I've never understood how important this day was until this year (thanks to socials studies).

mugsy
11-11-2003, 02:32 PM
My thoughts are with the Veterans today. I have a long line of vets. Mike is a Desert Storm, my dad is a WWII, my BIL is a Desert Storm and Vietnam, an uncle in Korea, an uncle in WWI, a great great uncle in Spanish/American, 3 Great great and 1 great great great grandfather in the Civil War, a great great great great grandfather in the War of 1812, and a great great great great great grandfather that was in both the French and Indian and the American Revolution. I think there is another 5 great back there too what was in the American Revolution, but I'm not sure who it is.

If the ground weren't quite so solid, I would put the flags on the graves.

Here's a toast to all the vets out there! Enjoy your special day.

primabella
11-11-2003, 02:34 PM
My English teacher explained how terrible the wars were. I could not be more thankful for what they did for us. Thanks for posting this Slick. :)

ramanth
11-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Grandpa was a WWII vet. He lost a lot of friends, especially at Pearl Harbor.

I love you and miss you Grandpa. :(

Cataholic
11-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Thank you to all our Vets!

Pam
11-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Thank you for this thread. Sometimes we get caught up in our lives and forget to reflect. My hubby is an Air Force veteran. He served during Viet Nam but fortunately remained state-side.

Tubby and Peanut's Mom I couldn't agree more. Today should be "their day."

zanzanfergie
11-11-2003, 03:13 PM
It was Remembrance Day in Australia yesterday (11th) too. Do people in the States and Canada have red poppies as symbols too? I was just wondering.

My grandad was a veteran. I love him. Bless all the veterans, living and in heaven. I hope that none of them ever have to hurt again.

wolfsoul
11-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie
It was Remembrance Day in Australia yesterday (11th) too. Do people in the States and Canada have red poppies as symbols too? I was just wondering.

We do here in Canada. :) Everyone wears a poppy around the week of Remembrance Day.

primabella
11-11-2003, 04:06 PM
I bought a poppy today. :)

lynnestankard
11-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Yes we have Rememberance Day here - all those lives given in war - must never be forgotten - all the families bereaved must be kept in our thoughts - wear your poppy with pride. So many died to give us freedom - never forget.

Lynne

Freckles
11-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Nov. 11th originally was "Armistice Day" which signified the end of World War I. My parents were married in 1917, shortly before dad was shipped overseas to France. So Nov. 11th was especially sweet to my mother.

The origins of Veterans Day (http://www.vfw.org/amesm/origins.shtml)

slick
11-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the link Freckles. Very interesting.

I just looked up a bit of my history.

My Great Grandfather (on my Grandmother's side) was in the British Army and was in the Boer War in 1898.

- He was then in WWI, sent to France, but was wounded and sent home.

- He then served with the force in India (1905-1906...not sure)

- Received the Vimy Ridge Medal for service.

My Grandfather (Mom's Dad) was in the British Navy at a young age

- Transferred to the army after the loss of two brothers, one on "The Formidable" and the other in Ceylonica Battleground in Egypt.

- He got away from Dunkirk during WWII. Was taken prisoner of war at Singapore and never heard from again.

My only prayer is that ours and future generations will never know WWIII.

RICHARD
11-11-2003, 07:07 PM
And a real special thanks to the The Third United States Infantry Regiment or the "The Old Guard" ..

for being at the Tomb of the Unknowns for every second of every hour of every day...all year
long...

Should anyone ever get a chance to see a behind the scenes look at work, practice, long hours and pride they put into that detail you'll see what it takes to be a soldier's soldier.

RubyMutt
11-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Wonderful thread :)

Veterans and those currently overseas are definitely in my thoughts today :)

todd
11-11-2003, 09:03 PM
lest we forget

RICHARD
11-12-2003, 11:49 AM
http://www.pbs.org/americanvalor/

Last night I watched the documentary on Medal of Valor winners.

The part of the program that really made me think was the story of an officer telling a group of recruits about the paychecks that they would receive during their service..

He told the recruits that the amount of their paychecks would not cover the job that they would be asked to do.

He then told them that there would come a day when the country would never be able to pay them enough for their work as soldiers.

They deserve more than one day during the year.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
http://www.pbs.org/americanvalor/
Last night I watched the documentary on Medal of Valor winners.

We watched this too, Richard. The part that always gets me is how none of them really see themselves as a hero. They all say they are only "in custody" of the medal for all those who deserve it but were never able to receive it. They all cite their fallen comrades as the heroes and are so humble about what they themselves did to save so many others.

Truely an inspiring show that everyone should see at least once.