PDA

View Full Version : Flashbacks?

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Connor didn't have a very nice evening yesterday. A Bahraini guy who does some business with us came past my house to collect some paperwork from me. (He was wearing the traditional Arab men's long robe and head-covering). Connor walked in, saw him sitting in the lounge, and totally FREAKED OUT. He was literally running into the walls trying to get out of the room - he was in a blind panic! I can only assume that whatever monsters had him and hurt him before he was rescued were dressed in this way, and seeing our friend brought back bad memories :( He went under the bed and it took over an hour to coax him out. He was breathing really fast and shaking all over! Thank goodness by the end of the evening he had calmed down! ( I think I may need to re-think which vet I use - I usually go to a Bahraini vet with Ally, as he is experienced with the Dilmun cats, but a couple of the guys who work there dress this way too! So I thinkI'll take Connor to the other vet).

What was SO sweet was, that the whole time Connor was under the bed Ally was hovering around, like she was really worried about her brother! Then later, when things were back to normal, Ally was lying on the floor in the study, and Connor walked past and LICKED HER FOREHEAD!! So cute - their first kissy!!!

Tonya
11-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Poor Conner! Don't you just wish your animals can speak sometimes? I would change vets too. I wouldn't want to put the little guy through that again.

catcrazylady
11-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Poor BABY! It just breaks my heart to hear that. I'm sure you probably really don't want to know what all has happened to him. I am so so so glad that you made the decision to rescue Connor. Everything has turned out so wonderful with him and Aly. Hopefully some day he will forget his past, but that may not ever happen. Poor BEAUTIFUL Boy! At least he knows he is safe with you and your family. He was meant to be there. Just keep giving lots of love and maybe he will be able to let go of some of his past. We send Connor lots and lots of love and loads of hugs to you for being his mommy. Not to be forgotten...extra special hugs and kisses to Ally for making his transition easy and for being a wonderful sister who just got her first kiss!!!!:D :D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

sqwelch
11-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Poor wee Connor, loads of hugs from me & Bonnie {{{{HUGS}}}}, Isn't it sweet that big sis is looking out for him;)

Cataholic
11-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Poor little Connor. That is simply awful, and I am afraid your thoughts are more likely correct than not. Maybe, not now, but, in time, you can have a 'friend' work with you to help bring Connor out of this position?

Killearn Kitties
11-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Poor Connor. I'm sorry he was so frightened and I'm so glad you adopted him. Isn't it great though, how the cats reacted to each other!

Barbara
11-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Julie, this brought tears into my eyes. I am so happy that Connor now has a furrever home with you where nobody can hurt him.

And it's so cute that he and Ally feel like friends for each other:)

catlover4ever
11-11-2003, 09:22 AM
{{{hugs}}} being sent to Connor. What a shame to have been so abuse that Connor had such a bad reaction. It makes me so upset to think how badly people can treat other living creatures, especially Connor. Here is a big {{{hug}}} to Ally for being such a great sister to her brother. :) The picture in my mind of Connor giving Ally a kiss as a "Thank You" brings a big smile to my face. :D

catmandu
11-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Wow! I have never had the Cats react to one person like that, as they generally afraid of everbody. even people that have been here several times. although they really like Helen , The Animal Welfare Lady.And it is good that they can reassure each other , like that!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Aww...poor Connor. :( Those robes must definitely have brought back some very bad memories for him. :( But I'm glad he allowed you to coax him back out from under the bed so quickly. This shows he trusts you, just not those robes.

And Ally is such a sweetie for being so concerned about her brother, and he is so sweet to give her a kiss for her concern. Sounds like it won't be long before they're snuggling. :D

Please give Connor hugs and smoochies from me too. Poor little guy. :(

Baby Leila
11-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Aww...poor Connor. :( Those robes must definitely have brought back some very bad memories for him. :( But I'm glad he allowed you to coax him back out from under the bed so quickly. This shows he trusts you, just not those robes.

And Ally is such a sweetie for being so concerned about her brother, and he is so sweet to give her a kiss for her concern. Sounds like it won't be long before they're snuggling. :D

Please give Connor hugs and smoochies from me too. Poor little guy. :(

~~~~SAME HERE~~~~

jenluckenbach
11-11-2003, 02:43 PM
It makes me cry to think about so much fear that Conner must have been felt to cause that response. What on earth could humans be thinking to do harm to a dear sweet creature. We can only hope that as Conner learns about love that he is able to forget this fear from his past.

RedHedd
11-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
What was SO sweet was, that the whole time Connor was under the bed Ally was hovering around, like she was really worried about her brother! Then later, when things were back to normal, Ally was lying on the floor in the study, and Connor walked past and LICKED HER FOREHEAD!! So cute - their first kissy!!!
Oh, poor Connor! My Mitzi runs and hides under the bed like Connor every once in a while and Mishi sits vigil next to the bed patiently waiting for his true love to emerge once she's gotten over whatever spooked her. He, too, kisses her when she emerges. It's SO sweet to see the gentle affection, respect and care they have for one another.

I, too, wonder about how they were mistreated before they were rescued. I'm so grateful there are people like you and the others who rescue these sweet animals and take the time, patience and love to let them know that they are now in a safe place.

rg_girlca
11-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Oh I just shudder at the thought of what poor, precious Connor must have gone through to have such a reaction like that. I'm so glad you were able to eventually calm him down and that "first kiss" is just priceless.

Hugs and kisses to you Connor and to Ally for having concern towards her bro.

Felicia's Mom
11-11-2003, 08:36 PM
It is too bad people mistreat animals. :( :( :( :(

It is wonderful of you to rescue him.:) :)

Steffi N
11-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I am sad that Connor had to suffer such panic. But he knows that he is safe with you. Bless Ally for watching out for her brother. Connor was so sweet to thank her with a kissie. I hope that as he lives with you these memories will fade (even if they cannot be totally forgotten).

CatDad
11-11-2003, 11:00 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Connor. I am happy hover to hear that he seemed to come out for love so quickly. I think it is really sweet of Ally to be worried and that Connor came and said thanks.

You are probably right that she had a flashback. My girlfriend had a sheltie RB Misty that had been really badly abused and was scared of most men. I was around enough that we were best buds. However, if I ever showed up in a suit or a long trench coat she would bark and growl at me. She would have nothing to do with me, and this was the sweetist dog in the world.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I am really glad Connor calmed down so quickly. That is a testiment to you meowme skills.:D

krazyaboutkatz
11-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Steffi N
I am sad that Connor had to suffer such panic. But he knows that he is safe with you. Bless Ally for watching out for her brother. Connor was so sweet to thank her with a kissie. I hope that as he lives with you these memories will fade (even if they cannot be totally forgotten).
Ditto. I would also use the other vet so he doesn't get so stressed out. Poor Connor.
For some reason my Sunny has always been very scared of men so I think he must of had a very bad experience with one in his past.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and concern! It breaks my heart to think what he must have been through, but I really think that he is where he belongs now. (How often does our shelter - which is NOT no-kill - pick up an injured animal and make the decision not to PTS????? Almost NEVER! Combine that with all the Pet Talk prayers which worked in my husband's heart to allow Connor to come home with us - he really is my miracle baby!!!)

I just find it very frustrating knowing that all the time I am talking to him and soothing him, he can't hear me. I suppose just being close to us is enough for him, and he loves to snuggle! I hope that over time his bad memories will fade! (I have to keep reminding myself that it HAS only been 3 weeks - it feels like he has always been here!)

CatDad
11-12-2003, 12:14 AM

I just find it very frustrating knowing that all the time I am talking to him and soothing him, he can't hear me. I suppose just being close to us is enough for him, and he loves to snuggle!

He knows that you love him.:) Cat's can sense these things, they are special like that.;)

popcornbird
11-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Ohhhh poor baby! :( :( He probably thinks its the same person who abused him because of the similar clothing. Poor little kitty. :( I'd assume he'd probably be afraid of a lot of people then, because isn't that what most men wear in Bahrain?

Vio&Juni
11-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Poor baby!!! It's so nice of Ally that she's worried about her brother :)

Cataholic
11-12-2003, 10:52 AM

I just find it very frustrating knowing that all the time I am talking to him and soothing him, he can't hear me. I suppose just being close to us is enough for him, and he loves to snuggle! I hope that over time his bad memories will fade! (I have to keep reminding myself that it HAS only been 3 weeks - it feels like he has always been here!)

NOOOOO.....I agree with Catdad...Connor does know. He "hears" you through other senses, and will feel your kisses and words sink through him in the way love does.