PDA

View Full Version : 18 dogs rescued from IA

SiberianLove
07-11-2000, 12:19 PM
I work as a volunteer for Adopt A Husky (www.adoptahusky.com) in Minnesota. We got a call on June 27, 2000 about a breeder/animal "hoarder" who had 18 Siberian Huskies in his 5 room house in IA. The authorities told him that he would have to find alternative homes for his 18 Siberian Huskies before the following Friday or they would be put to sleep. The 18 Siberian Huskies were never allowed outside and lived in their own waste. The ages of the dogs range between 9 months and 9 years. They are all related. The breeder would open a 150 pound of dog food in the middle of the house and leave for 4-5 days at a time to drive across country as a truck driver. NONE were spayed or neutered.

The Animal Controller was able to removed the dogs immediately from the house, but did not have room in their facility for the dogs. By Saturday(July 1, 2000), Adopt A Husky had found foster homes for all 18 dogs. We traveled to IA and to transported them to the foster homes in MN. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life. The dogs had NEVER been outside. The pads on their paws here pink (like a brand new puppy). They were absolutely covered in feces and fleas. We had to wash them in flea shampoo (the only thing available) before we transported the dogs. The water from the shampooing was running blood red for the flea material matted in the dog's coats. Several dogs had sever hot spots. One was completely missing hair on her hind quarters from the flea infestation. Every single dog was completely starved, some almost to death. Their growth has been completely stunted and muscles are atrophied from the lack of nutrition. A regular Siberian Husky should weigh between 35 and 45 pounds at the age of 9 months. The litter that was 9 months old weighed between 13
and 19 pounds.

Adopt A Husky could really use some assistance placing these dogs in
adoptive homes. They are all being fostered in and around the Twin Cities. They are adjusting really well and love to play outside, be with other dogs and receive snuggles from their foster families.

If anyone is interested in adoption one of these dogs, please contact Adopt A Husky at 612-827-7040; 262-909-2244; email [email protected] or visit our web site at www.adoptahusky.com. (http://www.adoptahusky.com.)

Adopt A Husky, Inc. is a 501 (c) 3, non-profit organization that survives solely on donations and all of which are tax deductible. If anyone would like to make a contribution to help cover the veterinary bills for the IA dogs and the rest of our rescued dogs, make checks payable to Adopt A Husky, Inc. and send it to: Adopt A Husky; PO Box 275; Salem, WI 53168-0275. We currently have over 40 dogs that are being foster in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri and Minnesota.

------------------
SiberianLove
www.adoptahusky.com

Elizabeth
07-12-2000, 08:35 AM
I just wanted to thank you for rescuing those huskies. It's terrible what our fellow "human beings" will do to animals and it is our responsibility to undo the harm done by others. I currently have 3 dogs (one is a 1 1/2 year old Siberian), and 4 cats. I can't adopt another animal right now, but when I can, I would love to adopt one of your huskies. Thanks for the great work you're doing.

SusanW
07-12-2000, 11:42 AM
A big thank you to the people who found these dogs and rescued them. Can any legal action be taken against the former owner? Can he be made responsible for some of their expenses???

SiberianLove
07-12-2000, 04:22 PM
Can any legal action be taken against the former owner?

Yes, he was charge with animal neglect. In IA, that means he pays $1500 per dog or gets one year in jail per dog.

Can he be made responsible for some of their expenses???

No, but he really didn't have any money to take...

------------------
SiberianLove
www.adoptahusky.com

DianeL
07-12-2000, 09:28 PM
Someone should tie the truck driver up inside his own home covered in feces and fleas and leave him for about a week. Unfortunately he probably still wouldn't get it!! I have a very hard time understanding people that can do things like this to animals. I've always wanted to do volunteer work with animals, but it hurts me so much to see an animal mistreated, that I'm not sure I could handle it emotionally. I can't even watch stories on TV about puppy mills, it gives me nightmares. I hope the guy never gets another dog.

Pepper#1
07-13-2000, 03:57 AM
I do not think I can take another dog (we have three plus 2 cats, 4 guinea pigs, 2 hamsters, 1 cockatiel,and fish pond) But, I have forwarded a copy of this mail to several people. One just put her dog to sleep after it was many years old and very sick. I am praying that this will bring about some new homes for these sweet animals. I truely wish that I could take one as animals often rescued from this type of invironment are so greatful and loving. They are such wonderful dogs to have. They repay with so much love.

Originally posted by SiberianLove:
I work as a volunteer for Adopt A Husky (www.adoptahusky.com) in Minnesota. We got a call on June 27, 2000 about a breeder/animal "hoarder" who had 18 Siberian Huskies in his 5 room house in IA. The authorities told him that he would have to find alternative homes for his 18 Siberian Huskies before the following Friday or they would be put to sleep. The 18 Siberian Huskies were never allowed outside and lived in their own waste. The ages of the dogs range between 9 months and 9 years. They are all related. The breeder would open a 150 pound of dog food in the middle of the house and leave for 4-5 days at a time to drive across country as a truck driver. NONE were spayed or neutered.

The Animal Controller was able to removed the dogs immediately from the house, but did not have room in their facility for the dogs. By Saturday(July 1, 2000), Adopt A Husky had found foster homes for all 18 dogs. We traveled to IA and to transported them to the foster homes in MN. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life. The dogs had NEVER been outside. The pads on their paws here pink (like a brand new puppy). They were absolutely covered in feces and fleas. We had to wash them in flea shampoo (the only thing available) before we transported the dogs. The water from the shampooing was running blood red for the flea material matted in the dog's coats. Several dogs had sever hot spots. One was completely missing hair on her hind quarters from the flea infestation. Every single dog was completely starved, some almost to death. Their growth has been completely stunted and muscles are atrophied from the lack of nutrition. A regular Siberian Husky should weigh between 35 and 45 pounds at the age of 9 months. The litter that was 9 months old weighed between 13
and 19 pounds.

Adopt A Husky could really use some assistance placing these dogs in
adoptive homes. They are all being fostered in and around the Twin Cities. They are adjusting really well and love to play outside, be with other dogs and receive snuggles from their foster families.

If anyone is interested in adoption one of these dogs, please contact Adopt A Husky at 612-827-7040; 262-909-2244; email [email protected] or visit our web site at www.adoptahusky.com. (http://www.adoptahusky.com.)

Adopt A Husky, Inc. is a 501 (c) 3, non-profit organization that survives solely on donations and all of which are tax deductible. If anyone would like to make a contribution to help cover the veterinary bills for the IA dogs and the rest of our rescued dogs, make checks payable to Adopt A Husky, Inc. and send it to: Adopt A Husky; PO Box 275; Salem, WI 53168-0275. We currently have over 40 dogs that are being foster in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri and Minnesota.

JKRJG24
07-13-2000, 10:05 AM
I love Syberian Huskys and I've always wanted one but my Dad is allegic to dogs that shed (that's why I'm going for a boxer) and I have done quite a bit of reserch and found they shed a lot! Oh how I wish I could have one!!!!! I relly think you guys are doing great things saveing huskys like that! I will ask some people if they would like one but I'm not sure if you could get them all the way here in Michigan! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

SiberianLove
07-13-2000, 11:11 AM
My sister is complete allergic to everything including mustard and celery seed. Huskies are one of the few breads that are considered hypo-allergenic. They have a VERY thick under coat that keeps them warm in cold weather. What's great about this is that is traps all the dander (which most people are allergic to) against the skin and it doesn't fall off causing allergic reactions.

Another idea for you would be a standard poodle. They are hypo-allergenic too and they DON'T shed at all. They just have to be groomed once a month. I hope this helps!

EmiB
07-15-2000, 07:58 PM
I think that what you are doing for the Huskys is just great!!!! I can't get another dog, but if I could I would get one of your Huskys. I think they are beautiful dogs and hope that all 18 of them can get a good home.

That guy shouldn't be allowed to get another dog, not now, not EVER!!!!!!! How could he do that to those poor dogs???????

varnerjt
07-30-2000, 12:34 AM
I am interested in perhaps adopting one of your huskies, and was wondering how big is a full grown huskie?
I am using a friends username, my e-mail address is [email protected], if you please reply to this address, thanks.

teena
08-01-2000, 08:00 AM
siberian love:

You might check out www.hua.org. (http://www.hua.org.) They are in Nebraska and have a nationwide network and do some wonderful work. That story just makes me sick. It's my feeling that penalties are not severe enough for cases like this. I live in the Southern Utah desert where it gets about 115 degrees in the summer, and we have cases all the time of animals dying due to the heat and no water. It makes me so damn mad! I think a just punishment would be to tie up the abusers on a short chain in the direct sun with no food and water for days on end and see how they can survive. Keep up the good work!

Traci
08-01-2000, 03:44 PM
I have tears in my eyes right now. These stories never cease to amaze me. We rescued a Siberian Husky (Nikko) male, now 2 1/2 years old from our local humane society. We got him when he was just a pup at 9 wks. old. We took him through 3 obedience classes, and now we can take him everywhere with us. We even take him w/us to some of our friends houses, as we have trained him to stay in certain areas of the house. For example he doesn't go on the carpet at all! All our friends LOVE him because his is so well behaved. It really pays to train them right. I couldn't imagine what it would be like w/o him now. We also take him boating and snowmobiling (I think he likes snowmobiling better) but we enjoy having along pretty much everywhere.

I wish so much that I could rescue even just one husky from your organization, however with 3 cats and a dog already presiding in just and average sized home, I don't believe it would work, right now anyway.

I think it is so wonderful what you are doing. The Siberian Husky breed is so great. I truly hope you can find a home for everyone one of your dogs.

***In response to the person who was interested in adopting, let me just say you won't regret it. Nikko has filled our hearts, and our kitties hearts with joy!! He gets along great w/babies, kids, adults, cats, other dogs, you name it. He's the best. He is currently between 55-60 lbs.

Thanks for letting me share my story. Good luck and a great big thanks to all the volunteers. I hope that guy could goes to jail for the maximum time.

------------------
Traci