PDA

View Full Version : Hip Dysphasia (sp?)

My Peanuts
11-10-2003, 01:08 PM
My fiancé’s Akita, Grizz, is having hip problems. He can't get up without putting up a little fight. He is only 4 years old, which is working to his advantage, but he is 155 pounds. The vet said he is not overweight. Are there any home remedies that have worked for anyone who has a dog with hip problems? Also, does anyone use glucosomine (sp?) and if so how do you give it? (In food, pill form?) Thanks bunches!

wolfsoul
11-10-2003, 05:12 PM
There are some foods that you can give that can help with hip problems. I have a list at home but I am at school right now. :)

Glucosamine and chondroiton can be found in pill form and sometimes it's added into dog foods.

He's only four years old though, that's terrible. :eek:

Other things like acupunture and therapy swimming can be great; I'd look into it.

Shelteez2
11-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Glucosamine and chondroiton can be found in pill form and sometimes it's added into dog foods.

The glucosomine and such that is added into dog foods is never in the ammounts that would be beneficial to the dog's problem, so that the dog would have to eat something like 10 cups of food just to get the right ammount. 'Tis much better to just buy it and add it yourself IMO :)

wolfsoul
11-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
The glucosomine and such that is added into dog foods is never in the ammounts that would be beneficial to the dog's problem, so that the dog would have to eat something like 10 cups of food just to get the right ammount. 'Tis much better to just buy it and add it yourself IMO :)
Yes, to a dog that already has hip problems, that's true; I never thought of that. But in small amounts it's still good at preventing hip/joint problems.

wolfsoul
11-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Sorry, I can't find the list of herbs I was talking about. Try looking up hip dysplasia and I'm sure you'll come up with something. :)

My Peanuts
11-10-2003, 10:14 PM
thanks for the help. I'm going to look up some more stuff ont he Internet.