PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent about something I saw.

cubby31682
11-10-2003, 08:56 AM
My husband and I were driving down a very very busy road. The poor little kitten (yes a kitten):mad: Which looked to be about 4 to 5 months old from where I could see it, it was a calico, I do believe. Anyways. I screamed to my husband that it was still alive. Right in front of us two cars were trying to get over and almost caused an accident. There was no way I could get out to get this poor little kitten. A silver mustang stopped to get it, I'm not sure if he did or not. My husband said he doesn't think he did because there were some trucks in the turn lane (that is where this kitten was). I felt so bad. I didn't know what I should do. Knowing that we would have caused an accident trying to get to poor thing, or I would have been hit and killed trying to save it. After I saw it we went to wal mart and I started to cry, knowing that this poor kitten was probably see the last minutes of it's life (unless the one guy got it.) I also told my husband that if it gets hit by a car I hope it's quick and painless. Which would almost be alot better than laying in the road looking at all the cars. This poor kitty looked so scared I felt my heart sink down into my chest. I really really hope that the guy who pulled over to get it did actually get it. I still feel very guilty about it. I keep thinking we should have stopped. My husband told me that if he would have stopped he would have had to watch his new wife get hit by a car. Which I told him that if I would have been hit I would have had a better chance to surive. I can't get the image out of my held, what I saw. I could only see the back of this kitten but I could see her head moving watching the cars. I called it a her because I don't know where else to call it.

So I guess I'm asking was I wrong for not trying to save it, and possibly get killed my self. I just keep hoping the one guy got the kitten and the kitten is safe.

Katie

Russian Blue
11-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by cubby31682
So I guess I'm asking was I wrong for not trying to save it, and possibly get killed my self.

What a scary situation for both you and the kitten! I don't think your wrong, you do what is right for that specific situation. I don't think I would be able to get that kitten out of my mind either. :(

What would be wrong, is to have no feeling or care for an animal in danger. Maybe next time you can call the animal control organization in your area to try to pick up the animal.

I see animals in danger often when we drive north to the cottage. I even get all emotional for chipmunks when they dart out in traffic.

jenluckenbach
11-10-2003, 10:02 AM
It was a sad situation, but no one can judge you right or wrong, because we were not there. But there ARE things in life that we are unable to do and there is no shame in that.

Kirsten
11-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Katie, don't blame yourself for that! I know I would feel as bad as you do now in that situation but it sounds there was no way for you to help. It's one of these horrible situations in life where we can't do anything about it. And it wouldn't have helped the poor kitten when you and your hubby would have been involved in an accident.

I have once witnessed a cat dying in the road that was hit by a car and nobody else (not even the one who hit it) stopped. I did, but there wasn't anything I could do for that poor kitty but to stay with her, talk to her and watch her life fading... That experience left me heartbroken and crying for days, and I felt so bad!

Kirsten

moosmom
11-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Katie,

You did what you had to do under the circumstances. No one should judge you for what you did.

If it had been me, I would've turned around and gone back to see if the kitten was still there. But I'm just telling you what I would've done. Everyone is different.

Like you, I don't think I could get that kitten out of my mind either. I just hope if he DID indeed get hit by a car, that it was quick and painless.

cubby31682
11-10-2003, 11:09 AM
Thank you everyone for the comments I really appreciate them, and it does make me feel better that other people feel the same way or other people aren't upset or mad about what I didn't do.

Katie

catmandu
11-10-2003, 11:34 AM
I still remember the time that Norma and i saw a little Cat , on a traffic island and we couldnt get to it , as it is a busy corner! I still think of that Silver Tabby , years later and wonder if anyone helped!