PDA

View Full Version : What WAS your limit?

jenluckenbach
11-10-2003, 08:13 AM
For those households who THOUGHT they had a limit to how many cats they would keep (but went over this number), What exactly did you used to think was your limit. :o :D

hee hee...I can distinctly remember when 4 was my limit. :o

of course I can also remember when that number moved to 6........to 8.........to 9.........to 10.....................:D

cubby31682
11-10-2003, 08:36 AM
My limit was and still is 3. I guess right now my limit is 1 but I would love to have another couple of cats around.

amoore, you can train your cats to scratch a scratching post. I haven't done that yet, but you can. I have my cat declawed for the reason if he wasn't declawed he would have been put to sleep. I wanted him bad enough and I also didn't want to see him be put to sleep. So I took him and got him declawed. He is still very happy. I would not recommend getting a cat declawed over furniture. Your cat(s) are worth much more than furniture. Declawing can also change their personalties. Please don't declaw them UNLESS it is a medical reson. They will be so much happier with their claws. You should try to train them first. Before you make that decision.

Katie

jenluckenbach
11-10-2003, 08:54 AM
I do not wish to turn this thread into a heated argument over declawing......but if furniture is more important, than do not get more cats. It is a simple choice.
You can train them, or adopt the ones who are already declawed, but the bottom line is that if furniture is MORE important than a living creature than cats are not the pet for you.

sirrahved
11-10-2003, 09:17 AM
I THOUGHT we would only have one cat, but I just couldn't help thinking about all of the poor, homeless cats at the shelter. Under our lease we are only allowed two animals. If it weren't for that I would have more! We already have plans for a black cat and maybe a dog when we move into our first church.

As far as declawing, neither of my pets have had any ill effects. We had Pickles for quite a while WITH claws, but he was scratching us both so much that we decided it was time. (Not to mention my woven throws, and shower curtain) Both of them sharpen their "claws". They are strictly indoor cats.

My parents have always done partial declawing on their cats (indoor/outdoor). They have brought up such wonderful things as: rabbits, gophers, moles, mice, rats, pheasants, baby turkeys, every songbird imaginable... it didn't affect their hunting. They can't climb trees, but I think the firemen are happy about that;)

K & L
11-10-2003, 09:19 AM
6 was originally our limit. Now we're at 17!

Kirsten
11-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Can't vote 'cause I'm not over my limit yet.

I guess personally, my limit would be 3 - 4, but I never had that much because so far, neither the space I had nor my financials allowed more than one or two cats. Well, I actually I would have enough space now, but not enough money; also, my landlords won't allow more than two cats.

Kirsten

Craftlady
11-10-2003, 11:15 AM
2 then Skinny warmed his way into our hearts and lives :)

catmandu
11-10-2003, 11:31 AM
My limit was a firm ten, but then the Breeder needed homes , and the strays just kept on coming. I agree with Jen , on the furniture , but I never have visitors and my Furniture cost me nothing!If I had paid lots of money , I hope that I would feel the same way!

tomkatzid
11-10-2003, 12:11 PM
our limit is one, set by Kelcee herself.

catlover4ever
11-10-2003, 12:19 PM
When I got married 10 years ago, I asked my husband to be if we could get a kitten. He said "no problem", when I found out that there were 4 kittens in this one litter, I asked if we could take in 2 (Tigger and Tony)...."sure". A year later, I called home and asked if we could possibly take in an abandoned kitten. This time it actually required some thinking on dear hubby's part but eventually he said "yes" to Smokey. Three years later Tucker shows up, four years later came Mystic and Cleo, a year after that was Abner and then Tobias.

So initally 2 was the limit but somehow I managed to have a grand total of 7 at one time. Now I'm down to five, but I'm sure that one of these days I will go to the back door and find another member of the family. ;)

lynnestankard
11-10-2003, 12:27 PM
LOL! I get the impression Cat lovers can't keep promises!!

My limit was 1 - mainly because I've only ever had one cat at a time - then of course Bagel and Ketchum were an item being brother and sister (you wouldn't know it sometimes when she spits and hisses at him!). Then when Dan missed them - he just had to come didn't he? :D

Lynne

Logan
11-10-2003, 12:48 PM
I'm figuring that it is a good thing that I already had my 2 when I got married last year, because my husband has never been a cat lover! :eek: And I truly thought my limit was one, as long as Mimi lived with me. She was here first and really dictated that decision. But I guess in her older age, she decided to allow Butter to live with us when he showed up at our door almost 3 years ago. She still hates him, but she does tolerate him. :)

I voted one, as it WAS my limit, originally! :)

Miss Meow
11-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Two <blush> :D

I can't wait for Noahsmommy to reply to this thread! ;) :)

jazzcat
11-10-2003, 04:27 PM
My limit was one for 10 years because Ripley was so wild and too much cat for me to handle but then he aged and settled down and I walked into a pet store with a animal rescue adoption center and... Two new cats later I guess my limit is now 3. I'm thinking about 4 but my husband says no way right now. Our house is really getting too crowded with three cats and a dog inside full time.

catcrazylady
11-10-2003, 05:29 PM
We had one cat when we moved into our home. Then came two strays that stuck together no matter what! Leroy and Missy. Missy has since gone to RB so then we had two. Feral mama came along and started dropping babies on our porch and somehow in three years we have grown to nine! My husband wasn't happy about three but he couldn't turn them away. Now he just coughs, chokes and spits alot while complaining about the hair! But all his gripes and all the blame he lays on me is a lie!!! The last three kittens were on the porch and over time I managed to catch two but the third one was not going down easy! That would be Pervy (short for Nervous Pervis). He is the one that spent several days in the freezing cold until he got her!] He really is a sucker but he has to stay macho and blame me! I know better!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif I'll have to share the capture of Pervy story one day. It was hilarious!
I really have no limit!! I would take in nine more if I had room and money!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

Kfamr
11-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Zero was our limit, and it still is, Unfortunatly.

I'd love to have atleast one kitty. :(

CatDad
11-10-2003, 06:56 PM
It used to be 1, but that was dictated by Flicka. She was an only kitty, and let me know it. I remeber that I thought about getting her a friend when she was 19 and she had mellowed a little.:) Then, one day at the vet she saw another kitty that was there and darn near took the poor things face off.:( It was really scary for a few moments. It was at that point that I thought if she didn't want a friend she was old enough to make up her own mind.;) When she went to the RB, we both thought that we would like 2.

So, I voted at 2 and that it what I have at the moment.:) I always felt that 2 was a good number, and at least they got a friend. However, I can feel myself started to falter on that.

Unless something happens, I would like to wait a little while and let Joey settle in some more. I think that introducing a new kitty at this point may be a little more that I want her to have to deal with. She may be just fine, but I would like to be sure.

So, at some point we may have 3, but for now it is 2.:D

Pam
11-10-2003, 07:34 PM
0 was my limit because I never used to like cats! :o :o My son is responsible for bringing Trevor into my home and into my life and Trevor changed my opinion about kitties. I was sure Trevor would be an "only cat" but then I just went to "look" at Andy and the rest is history. :D I really don't see any more kitties in my home now, though, since I also have 2 dogs. Four animals is plenty for me! :)

Felicia's Mom
11-10-2003, 08:21 PM
My vote was for 2.

For many years I only had 1 cat, then I got 1 more. When my landlord found out he gave me a choice; get rid of the cat or move. (I moved).

When my present landlord bought this apartment he said: "no pets". (They were allowed when I moved in). Since I was already living here with my cats, he let me keep them.

My landlord knows I have 2 cats and will get another if something happens to one of them. I will not push my luck and get more than 2.

I feel that 2 is what I can afford; will have to buy cheaper food.

rosethecopycat
11-10-2003, 09:56 PM
I'm AT my limit. Going to have to hang tough here at 3!
Mainly, because if I plan on continuing to foster, it complicates matters to have a large residency of cats.
With fosters, I've set a limit of 6 in the house at one time, I'll let you know when that fails, but it would just be a temporary thing, like someone waiting for transport.

NoahsMommy
11-10-2003, 10:49 PM
hee hee....I love this thread!!!! :) :)

My original limit was 1...I didn't like cats before David and I got married. In fact, Noah was David's birthday present.

Then we saw Noel....cause she looked so pitiful in her carrier and I had to rescue her. :)

Then, while buying cat food, David wandered over to the cat adoption area of Petsmart. I was the one who said "no"!! Can you believe it? Strange, cause he's my favorite cat. :) Thus begins my "three is our limit" mantra.

Olivia was a cat I'd fallen in love with at the shelter we volunteer at. After about two months of loving her at the shelter, I convinced David she had to come home with us when we found her in the cat room, OK with other cats. :)

Now....I have a "four is our limit" mantra

Micah was mainly my protective mommy coming out. He was a sick, pure bred Aby and when I heard someone walk by his cage and say "oooooh! Look at that cat, its a PURE BRED!!! Those are EXPENSIVE!!" I had to rescue him. They gave him to us the very next weekend, straight from the sick room.

THESE ARE ALL THE CATS MY PARENTS THINK WE HAVE....shhhh! ;)

Hermione was chosen by David. Its his fault we had six....he fell in love with her while we were visiting with the woman I help with TRN. (She always has kittens she needs homes for)

As far as Emma and Phoebe go, I think we are still undecided. We are utterly in love with them. But we worry about being evicted if we get found out. :( That, and our parent's will FREAK OUT!! I don't want to deal with that...they wont ever, ever understand. I guess we need to get over that, huh?

I guess if we have time and money for all eight, its no one else's business if we're "crazy", right? Its OK now, with me working at the vet...but I worry about the future time-wise.

Anyway, 3, 4, 5, 6 was our limit...but I voted 3. :)

Kfamr
11-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Jen, I stole your idea for the dog side -- hope you don't mind. If you do, I can delete it. :o ;) :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Several years before I joined PT and only had 2 cats I thought that 2 was my limit but I really wanted an orange male cat and Storm needed a more playful cat than my RB Pepper so then 3 became my limit. When I joined PT, I had 3 cats and kept saying that 3 was absolutely my limit so I voted for 3 in the poll.

When I lost my Pepper, I was down to 2 cats again but I knew that I'd be getting a third cat eventually. Well I got the third cat, Cirrus, and then ended up getting Sky about 3 months later. Now 4 is my absolute limit.:D

shais_mom
11-10-2003, 11:48 PM
I voted 2 b/c I also used to be a non- cat person.
Then I got my RB greyhound who opened my eyes to the love and spirit of all animals, and I was hooked. :)
I am at my limit right now with one dog and one cat, but I can see one more of something in my future eventually, and it would probably be kitty wise, b/c Keegan is kinda jealous when it comes to other dogs and her momma!

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-11-2003, 12:37 AM
I am sure you all know my story - one was my limit after Ally arrived, as we were not planning on having any animals at all. Then my obsession with Connor, which with a lot of nagging and the PT prayers, resulted in me being a happy 2-cat Meowmie. However the logistics and costs of taking them with us when we leave Bahrain mean that two HAS to be the limit. Any broodyness on my part will have to be chanelled to the shelter cats and my outside cats!

wolf_Q
11-11-2003, 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, at the moment, it is 0. My parents will NOT allow any cats.

And I would dearly love to have a kitty..... :(

Maybe when I have my own house I will be able to get a cat or two. Providing my huskies do not want to eat them of course. :eek:

popcornbird
11-11-2003, 03:30 AM
My limit................0. :( :( :(

My dad grew up with cats and though he loves them, he cannot stand their hair getting in/on everything in the house! :eek: :(:(

He said he had to deal with enough cat hair through his childhood and blames that to be a cause of his allergies. :confused: He doesn't want to deal with cat hair again. :( Anyway, I'm not allowed to have any furry pet in the house right now, though I would LOVE to have a cat in the future.

I'm fortunate though, that my parents LOVE feathery pets and have allowed me to have my little tiels. I don't know what I would do without them! They *were* reluctant to get me even my birds, but now they love them so much....that sometimes I think they love them more than me! :eek:

That being said, I love birds/parrots more than any other animal and always want to have birds in my life..........so if in the future, I can get a cat without endangering my birds, I will get one or two.....otherwise, I'll just stick with birds and be happy with that like I am right now! :D

jenluckenbach
11-11-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Jen, I stole your idea for the dog side -- hope you don't mind. If you do, I can delete it. :o ;) :)
immitation is the sincerest from of flattery. ;)

Tonya
11-11-2003, 06:49 AM
My husband totally wasn't an animal person. My limit was one cat and nothing else. Now I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 3 snakes, and Mr. Fishy. :p

11-11-2003, 07:19 AM
My limit is 3 cats!! yup, "THREE !!" Why don't I have 3 then? My hubby really loves our cats VERY much; BUT, he asked to maintain a limit for 2 cats...!
Oh well, we will see later, when my kids will be married and my hubby retired....;) ;) --> He is planning to have a big birdhouse (see website!), so that will the sign for MORE cats for me ;) :p

Cataholic
11-11-2003, 08:14 AM
I can honestly say I don't have a limit. I do remember having 'just 1', then, 3, then 5, , then 6...and saying, "well, 6 is nice"...but, as my friend Karlyn says, "once you have a starter set...."

trayi52
11-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Well two is my limit, for one reason thats all I can get away with around my husband, and another Grover seems to demand all the attention, so she is the boss.LOL.
And about declawing, well I think if the cat is maybe hurting other animals then I don't see anything wrong with it. We want to protect all our pets, don't we?:D

NoahsMommy
11-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I can honestly say I don't have a limit. I do remember having 'just 1', then, 3, then 5, , then 6...and saying, "well, 6 is nice"...but, as my friend Karlyn says, "once you have a starter set...."
In my young and immature years, I used to see your signon and think, "wow, she sure has a lot of cats!!". Look at me now...I now have more than you!! Well...Binxy is pretty large, he'd qualify for at least two cats, right??? ;)

hee hee

PayItForward
11-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Mmm.
Our limit was one when we had just Georgie
Our limit was two when we got Milly
Our limit was three when we got Milo

Four was our real sticking point and it took us weeks to get Treacle ;) So I voted three as our real limit.

Both Bramble (5) and Tigs (6) were unexpected additions.

We are at our real limit of 6 cats that own us at the moment, though I think we'll probually still pick up strays etc in the future.

PS. As for declawing :mad: :mad: I suggest we ask the cats opinions, before deciding it has no effect on them.

I am praying for the next poor kitten that gets declawed, probually slleipnir new kitten. Poor thing :(
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37535
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34486

trayi52
11-13-2003, 04:10 PM
PayItForward
I do have a limit, my husband hates, and I mean hates cats, I'm lucky to have two, when my daughter brought little Grover home from the school, after some kids had been so mean to her, and she had just got her eyes open, he wanted my daughter carry her back. I ask him if he thought it was right to carry her back and put her back in the garbage can, my daughter Lin, rescued her from. He couldn't say anything to that, so I got to keep her. She is still with me and doing just great, fact is she is laying next to me now asleep. I guess if it was just me, well I would love to have another little kitten, or a grown one, either would be great for me. My daughter had one over at her house one time, and I wanted it so bad, but my meannnnnnn old husband wouldn't let me have it. I tried to get her to sneak it in the door when he wasn't looking, and just say that it just strayed in. LOL. I never did get the little fellow though. He keeps telling me nobody likes cats, that they are all like him. I have always had cats and I'm 50 years old, been an owner of a cat since I was just a little, little girl. :)

sirrahbed
11-13-2003, 04:13 PM
It was strictly 1(not counting fosters), then it was 2 plus a dog, now it is 3...or soon to be :D

carole
11-13-2003, 07:31 PM
NIL was my limit , because of my allergy to cats, I guess not being able to say no to my daughter was the reason Ash eventually became adopted, and most of you know the rest, now I am a happy two cat household, however I would like at least one more, but I have to be sensible about it, and not put the two I have already in jeopardy, as financially that is my limit, and allergy wise probably as well, but hey I am fortunate to have the two I have and count my blessings every single day.:)

prechrswife
11-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Two was our limit, and then Samson moved in under our house. At the time we lived in the country, and evidently someone dropped him off. We started feeding him because his meows were so pitiful. (He evidently was not much of a mouser either, because he was thin. He has long, black hair, which at that point was dull and somewhat matted.) When he started to trust us, we would bring him inside to feed him, keeping him separated from our other two. It was obvious he had been in a house before. He jumped right up on the couch between my husband and me, rolled over on his back, and gave us that "I need a belly rub" look. Of course, we took him for a vet exam and shots, and then he moved in. We were absolutely amazed because we kept him isolated from Saphirah and Chloe for a few days, but when we decided to introduce them and see their reactions, there pretty much weren't any. He has had a very positive effect on our feline household. He has also become a beautiful, rather plump kitty. We still joke that we have too many cats, but we love all three, and really wouldn't change anything.