View Full Version : Four Neglected Children

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Has anyone seen this story?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/10/27/neglected.brothers/index.html

Here's my two cents worth on it:

Ok .... it is very sad.

BUT, it makes no sense to me.

First, didn't they notice at school? OR didn't they notice that these kids were never in school?

Second ...the oldest was nineteen, the next one fourteen. I'm sorry, but if I were nineteen, or even fourteen, and someone was starving me and my little brothers, I would NOT stick around! I would get OUT, I would call the police, I would hit the road. I would do SOMEthing, not sit in that house and watch everyone starve!

My gosh.

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 08:38 PM
If this is true, it's honestly DISGUSTING.

I agree with the second point you made, why didn't they tell someone. But, as the story said they were locked from the kitchen, maybe they weren't able to come in contact with anyone?
Or, being so starved, sick and all -- just didn't have the sense to do so.

Who knows.

Pam
11-09-2003, 08:43 PM
These people lived about 10 miles from me. It has been the subject of our local newspaper since it happened and it just sickens me! The reason that no one noticed the kids at school is that the kids didn't go to school. They were supposedly being home schooled although some reports said there were no signs of school books in the home. The family's local church said the children appeared to look just fine. I am finding that very hard to swallow. I think someone is in denial here! Unfortunately it usually takes a horrible situation like this to wake people up and see the flaws in the system. Thankfully these kids are out of that mess now and I hope their healing (physically and emotionally) can begin.

Tonya
11-09-2003, 08:51 PM
I would guess that the older children were brainwashed. They probably didn't have the self-esteem to step forward. It really saddens me.

Pam
11-09-2003, 09:03 PM
According to the various news pieces that have been coming out in the paper on almost a daily basis, the kids hadn't been to a doctor in over 5 years. Their teeth are in horrible condition and the younger children have never eaten in a restaurant - not even a McDonald's! Can you believe this? There have been 9 case workers fired as a result. They said in one of the articles that sometimes a case worker might go to a house and never actually get to see a child. In this case they might have actually been hidden away. What is the point of visiting the house, if not to see the child? This whole thing is just so sad!

Cookiebaker
11-09-2003, 09:27 PM
I have been following the updates on this story, and I find it so upsetting!!!

BUT, it makes no sense to me.

First, didn't they notice at school? OR didn't they notice that these kids were never in school?

Second ...the oldest was nineteen, the next one fourteen. I'm sorry, but if I were nineteen, or even fourteen, and someone was starving me and my little brothers, I would NOT stick around! I would get OUT, I would call the police, I would hit the road. I would do SOMEthing, not sit in that house and watch everyone starve!

My gosh.

Because they were brainwashed, threatened, scared, fear of repercussion etc.etc.etc. About a year ago, I read the book "A Child Called It" by Dave Peltzer (not for the weak hearted!!!!), and he described his abusive childhood. He explained why he couldn't alert others to his problems, because the abuse would have been increased 10 times.

I honestly don't understand these people (the foster parents). What is WRONG with them???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tonya
11-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Those social workers should be prosecuted. Those people have ruined those kids lives, they need to sit in prison.

My aunt adopted 3 sisters who came from an extremly abusive home. Their parents were supposedly in some cult and the girls witnessed quite a bit. At the time, they were between 1 year old and 7 years old. Now, the oldest is 17. They still have so many issues. They've been through 10 years of counseling and TLC and they are still a mess. (The oldest especially.)

Because of these stupid people, the kids' lives will never be complete. :mad: :mad: :mad:

luckies4me
11-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Pam
According to the various news pieces that have been coming out in the paper on almost a daily basis, the kids hadn't been to a doctor in over 5 years. Their teeth are in horrible condition and the younger children have never eaten in a restaurant - not even a McDonald's! Can you believe this? There have been 9 case workers fired as a result. They said in one of the articles that sometimes a case worker might go to a house and never actually get to see a child. In this case they might have actually been hidden away. What is the point of visiting the house, if not to see the child? This whole thing is just so sad!

I never ate in a restraunt until I was in the 8th grade, and yes No McDonalds for me either. We were too poor to go out to eat. After my mom met my stepdad things changed for the better, but it still took me many years just to be able to walk into a corner store and buy a candy bar without feeling like I wanted to cry.

As far as not telling anyone if you are locked up, I have been in that situation. When I was around 6 or so my brother and I were being looked after by my mothers boyfriends mother while my mom and her bf went on vaction to Mexico to visit his family. She took my younger brother but my older brother and I stayed behind for two weeks with Fransisco's mom. For those two weeks we were locked into our bedroom, with only one meal a day. Water, beans and one tortilla. We were not allowed restroom priveldges, no clean clothes, nothing. Finally someone found out and they came and took us to Orangewood Childrens Center. I stayed there for about a year, but my brother got out six months earlier than I. It wasn't my mothers fault but she now knows not to just trust anyone with their children.

The funny thing is that we knew this lady forever. Many many years. I was there for 6 months, ended up getting chicken pox and then pneumonia and had to stay an extra 6 months in their hospital because I was very sick. I remember how relieved I was when I finally got to go home.

aly
11-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Ok I saw the story on TV and the 4 boys were disgustingly skinny and the rest of the family was overweight :( What the HECK :(

Pam
11-10-2003, 06:01 AM
The parents are saying that the kids were all born with fetal alcohol syndrome and have eating disorders. If this is true, why did the one child already put on 7 lbs. Hello? I believe you have to eat to put on weight. :mad: Neither of the parents had jobs and the husband's closet in particular is reported to contain several silk suits. Isn't it funny that their own natural children were a normal weight/size.

Tonya
11-11-2003, 07:04 AM
luckies4me, I am sorry that you had to go through that.

luckies4me
11-11-2003, 08:52 PM
That's ok, I am fine. The weird thing is that she came off as totally normal, but then again her son was a total psycho. He beat my mom when she was pregnant with my sister, andbroker my moms wrist, and a few of her ribs, and kicked her in the stomach as well. He was a big drunk and just crazy. Maybe some of his mother rubbed of on him. His mother is now dead and I don't know if she even got in trouble.