PDA

View Full Version : I live in the strangest state, I swear.

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 08:17 PM
My son is, as I type this, over at our neighbor's house watching them skin a bison they shot this weekend.

Where else in the country is that entertainment on a Sunday night?

:D

catcrazylady
11-09-2003, 08:58 PM
You need to come to Kentucky!!!;) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 09:00 PM
LOL .. do you have bison skinning parties there, complete with spotlights and chainsaws?

My son keeps running back over to give me latest account of the festivites. :rolleyes:

Actually, I've been to Kentucky ... but it seemed normal, so I'm sure I wasn't in the right places. ;)

Corinna
11-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Try here in Montana You add Elk and moose and its a typical at my place (couple years ago) hubby had a taxidermy shop. Thank goodness it's closed I get to see him now with out being covered in yuk

RICHARD
11-09-2003, 09:08 PM
what, no cable service?

;)

As gross as this sounds...

Your son will never starve and he will appreciate the
'work' is takes to farm his hamburgers.

we have taken away the schooling in practical matters
and emphasized getting on top of the pile.

it's not entertainment.

it's education.

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
what, no cable service?

;)

it's not entertainment.

it's education.

Oh, he's educated already. He's old enough for a hunting license of his own now, but he's been going on hunting trips since he was a little boy. I don't have a problem with hunting, if you eat what you kill. Trophy hunters tick me off to no end. I just thought it was funny that the whole neighborhood is hanging around over there, just like for a barbeque. :p

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 09:12 PM
You get people doing white-tailed deer here. Infact, there's a course in my school that teaches you how to hunt/skin deer. I think it's gross because very time you walk onto the schoolgrounds you see students skinning deer with blood and fur everywhere. It smells so gross.

Corinna
11-09-2003, 09:14 PM
I agree one hudred % . They even have a HOOKED on Fishing program here that they take the kids out and lend them poles and teach them how to fish. I work with a disabled program for adults on fishing and hunting . We give the kids a BBQ at the end of the school year.

Aspen and Misty
11-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I don't have a problem with hunting, if you eat what you kill.

I agree 100% !!

You should come to Williamsport. We all gather round Sheetz to socialize. :p You go after 10:00 and there are about 20 to 30 people standing outside with Coffy. :rolleyes:

Ash

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 09:29 PM
I agree that hunting is good if you make good use of what you hunt. I'd never want to hunt myself, however.

I can see myself. Just shot a deer. "Now what do I do?" :rolleyes:

I'd really like to find a place where I can buy deer though. I'll be doing homecooked on my dogs when I move out and deer would be a great every-once-in-a-while kind of thing. I'm just not sure where I can get it. Anyone here buy deer meat?

RobiLee
11-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Can't say that I see much of that here. Once when I was younger I did see a deer strung up and being skinned. It was pretty disgusting.

Robin :)

Corinna
11-09-2003, 09:32 PM
we have some farms here that raise deer just for commercail meat . Look up M&S meats they carry venison. I may have to go buy some 4 hunters and no has gotten any thing now it's bucks only till the end at thanks giving.

micki76
11-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I'd really like to find a place where I can buy deer though. I'll be doing homecooked on my dogs when I move out and deer would be a great every-once-in-a-while kind of thing. I'm just not sure where I can get it. Anyone here buy deer meat?

We shopped for it on the off-season at Central Market for Chester and it was outrageously priced. Like $90.00 a lb! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Might be more reasonably priced now. My boss usually gives me a good stash. :)

CatDad
11-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
what, no cable service?

;)

it's not entertainment.

it's education.

Just wanted to add a ditto to this. Yea, it is gross, but it is an education that may help him in the future.

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
we have some farms here that raise deer just for commercail meat . Look up M&S meats they carry venison. I may have to go buy some 4 hunters and no has gotten any thing now it's bucks only till the end at thanks giving.
Thanks for responding! Do you mean M&M meats? We have an M&M meats right across the road from us, so I hope that's what you mean LOL.

Micki -- Wow, that's alot!! Isn't a lb only 2 cups? :eek: I hope I can find venison for cheaper than that. It's why I said an every-once-in-a-while thing though; because I knew it wasn't going to be cheap and dandy. ;)

Shelteez2
11-10-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Isn't a lb only 2 cups? :eek: I hope I can find venison for cheaper than that. It's why I said an every-once-in-a-while thing though; because I knew it wasn't going to be cheap and dandy. ;)

You can't really compare a pounds to cups. Depends on what's in the cup. For instance 2 cups of feathers isn't going to weigh a pound :) Did that make any sense? LOL It's late so I apologize if I'm not exactly coherant.

Anyways, check here http://www.lepus.reach.net/NRS.html for a list of raw food suppliers in BC. Some of them offer stuff like Venison. I didn't look through it carefully though, so I'm not sure if there were any near you or not, but perhaps you could order it?

wolfsoul
11-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks Shelteez. :) Duh, I'm so stupid, Lol. I remember reading that 1 lb of beef was about 2 cups, but not everything weighs the same lol. Thanks for the site!

Does anyone shop in stores that supply things for the BARF diet? There are a couple stores in Kelowna, and I'm wondering if they have any venison...I should call.

wolfsoul
11-10-2003, 07:09 PM
I looked at the site, and there a a few suppliers in my area. :D I didn't notice anything supplying venison, but I can always order from Langley.

Corinna
11-10-2003, 10:01 PM
NO I mean m&S meats in Kalispell Montana. Whats tonights entrtainment.

Twisterdog
11-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Whats tonights entrtainment.

Well, the bison is now in the freezer, so he opted for going to a girl's house instead.

I think I liked the dead bison and the chainsaw better. :rolleyes:

;)

RICHARD
11-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Well, the bison is now in the freezer, so he opted for going to a girl's house instead.

I think I liked the dead bison and the chainsaw better. :rolleyes:

;)

I think he made a wise choice.

Dead bison usually start to smell after the third date. Not that I would know.....;)

Corinna
11-11-2003, 09:58 PM
I agree the bison is a better chioce . I have a 21 year old daughter we should have never sold her horse she might not be engaged know. The 20 year old boy is still in to his truck thank goodness.

Twisterdog
11-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Dead bison usually start to smell after the third date. Not that I would know.....

I am not going to go there. No way.

;)

RICHARD
11-12-2003, 12:30 PM
I am not going to go there. No way.

;)

lol

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~1760316,00.html

amoore
11-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Sounds like here , they drive around town to show off their deer kill !Then they have a bunch of guys over for the skinning and cleaning :(
All i see is poor little bambi .:(

isis
11-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Here where I live. that would be the most entertaining thing on the planet! (not to me though, I think it's sad)

mahayana
11-12-2003, 07:51 PM
I have a hunting license, but I do not hunt.

Talk about strange......

The world's largest rattlesnake roundup is held near here every March.

Twisterdog
11-12-2003, 09:07 PM
The world's largest rattlesnake roundup is held near here every March.

I have heard horrible, inhumane things about that. :(

All i see is poor little bambi .

not to me though, I think it's sad

Well, it is sad. Mainly because it is right in front of our faces, we can't look away. But, in reality, it is no more sad than the killing of the chicken or the cow or the pig or the turkey we had for dinner tonight. We can just be in denial about those animals, because the killings happens far away, and we just get the meat in a nice little package from the supermarket. Actually, killing a deer or bison or elk is much LESS sad and cruel than killing a chicken or cow, in my opinion, because the wild animal at least had a normal natural life before it was killed in a fast, humane manner. Unlike factory farmed animals. :( :(

Corinna
11-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Amen Twister!!!!!

CatDad
11-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Corinna
Amen Twister!!!!!
I just wanted to Ditto this.:)

mahayana
11-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Just wondering if the topic of hunting will be upsetting to kids that read this.

Has it been discussed in dog house before?

It is cleaner karma to kill an animal youself than to pay someone else to do it for you.

Now I've added religion to the thread...forgive me please!

trayi52
11-13-2003, 02:40 PM
I just never wanted eat anything I have met.:)

mahayana
11-14-2003, 07:00 AM
anyone else have strange pictures?