PDA

View Full Version : What kind of chews?

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 06:50 PM
What kind of things do you find it safe to leave with your dog when you aren't around? I'm looking for something like that; hard and large so that it can't be chewed up into pieces or swallowed.

What kind of things do you think are safe?

lovemyshiba
11-09-2003, 07:02 PM
My dogs always have their kongs when we aren't home.
It keeps them occupied, and I don't worry about it, because I just put some cream cheese or peanut butter in them, and maybe a carrot or two--they love it!!!

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 07:05 PM
I don't think anything is safe unoccupied, and I wouldn't leave either of them alone with anything.
When I think they've had enough chewing on the bones, i put them up for another day.

I don't want to take the risk.

Shelteez2
11-09-2003, 07:07 PM
It depends on the dog. I feel safe leaving my dogs with kongs and kong like items, but I've heard of some dogs that can destroy them. I would never ever leave my dogs with any type of rawhide, but then I don't really give them rawhide anymore. I also feel safe leaving them with those big knotted ropes. But then I've heard of dogs who dissect them and eat the strings.
So I guess I'm not a big help at all. Sorry.

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I would never ever leave my dogs with any type of rawhide, but then I don't really give them rawhide anymore.
A friend of mine had a teacher who's GSD died from eating rawhide. He had a large rawhide bone, and swallowed the big knot at the end. You know how when you put a rawhide bone in water, and it will absorb the water and get bigger? That's what happened to the dog inside it's intestines. :(

I don't think anything is safe unoccupied
I think that's a bit of an overstatement...Not EVERYTHING is dangerous to a dog. That's like saying, "I can't leave the table or the couch or the computer or TV around while I'm gone because it could hurt my dog." I guess that's what crates are for, but than even crates can hurt a dog.

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul

I think that's a bit of an overstatement...Not EVERYTHING is dangerous to a dog. That's like saying, "I can't leave the table or the couch or the computer or TV around while I'm gone because it could hurt my dog." I guess that's what crates are for, but than even crates can hurt a dog.

You just read it wrong.

I don't mean things in your home like that.
I mean things your dogs eat, rawhides, bones, chews -- Things you buy for your dog.

Not normal household things like chairs and tables.:rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
11-09-2003, 07:38 PM
My aunt had a German Shepherd whom she left alone for the day in the living room...she came back and found the whole couch literally gone. :eek:

I'll leave my dogs with Kongs, and stuffies. I will not leave rawhide out for them, when I'm not there. Too many risks to take.

Moose
11-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I'm with Kay on this one.....I never leave Moose alone with any type of chew toy. It's not that I don't trust him, but rather that I don't trust the toy. Even the safest-seeming chew toy could spell out some sort of danger if your dog is left unsupervised with it. Anytime Moose has any sort of chew, [whether it's a stuffed-animal, stuffed-fleece bone, kong, etc] I have at least some sort of control over what he does with it and for how long. Again, it's not that I don't trust him.....but odd things do happen, no matter how bizarre or unheard of.

Call me crazy, but I don't care what toy it is......I wouldn't leave my dog alone with it, especially if I was going to be gone for a long period of time. :eek:

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I think that's a bit of an overstatement...

I agree. Yes, you will always hear someone say, "Well, let me tell you .... my grandma's cousin's friend's brother's pomeranian chewed the leg off the couch and died!" No matter what you mention, someone knows someone who knows someone who had a dog that died from eating it, drinking it, chewing on it, sniffing it or thinking about it.

The fact of the matter is, that freak accidents DO happen. But you can't remove everything that is dangerous from your dogs, your kids, or yourself. You will be a paranoid basketcase thinking about it all. And even if you tried, there is still no guarantee. One of my customers dogs ate a hole in the side of his crate, just big enough to get his head through, and then starting thrashing around, couldn't pull his head back out, cut his neck on the sharp edges and bled to death. Seriously. In a crate. So should we all stop using crates? Of course not! It was a freak accident.

I think basic common sense must prevail. If you dog devours rawhide and swallows it, obviously they shouldn't have rawhide period, let alone unsupervised. If your dog chews on it for a few minutes and loses interest, and you keep the same rawhide for a year before finally throwing it away, then sure, give them rawhide. Kongs are pretty much indestructable for the vast, vast majority of dogs. You know your own dog best, his habits and quirks. What one dog does, another will not.

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 07:42 PM
AGAIN, you read it wrongly. I didn't mean normal household things -- I meant what this thread was about -- CHEWS.

Shelteez2
11-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
AGAIN, you read it wrongly. I didn't mean normal household things -- I meant what this thread was about -- CHEWS.

Well actually it is relevant seeing as how many people use chew toys as substitutes for their couches and other household items. So if you remove the chews from the house the dog will turn on the items it's not supposed to chew, which IMO may ultimately be worse.

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 07:47 PM

I didn't read it wrong. I replied about chews. I was just elaborating a bit, to make a point.

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Well actually it is relevant seeing as how many people use chew toys as substitutes for their couches and other household items. So if you remove the chews from the house the dog will turn on the items it's not supposed to chew, which IMO may ultimately be worse.

Not if the dog knows better.
I've had Simba for years, ever since he was 8 months old. He'll be turning 6 this Christmas.

He's never had chews unsupervised, and he's never torn up any of our furniture.

Even so, if the dog has seperation anxiety or anything of the sort, then they shouldn't be unsupervised so long so they get the chance to tear up furniture or anything else.

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

The fact of the matter is, that freak accidents DO happen. But you can't remove everything that is dangerous from your dogs, your kids, or yourself. You will be a paranoid basketcase thinking about it all. And even if you tried, there is still no guarantee. One of my customers dogs ate a hole in the side of his crate, just big enough to get his head through, and then starting thrashing around, couldn't pull his head back out, cut his neck on the sharp edges and bled to death. Seriously. In a crate. So should we all stop using crates? Of course not! It was a freak accident.

I hear that. I've heard of so many accidents happening that were just so terrible. My mom had a whippet mix when she was young that, when tied on it's leash, would run back and forth back and forth back and forth (odd for a whippet..). One day, their chihuahua walked out there while the whippet was running, and the chain got him in the neck and broke it. :( She also had a dalmatian that jumped the fence, kinda decided in mid air that it wasn't a good idea, so tried to get back and got it's collar stuck on the fence and broke his neck.

The only problem we have with Timber is that there are so many children here and toys lieing around everyhwere. I pick them up when I can, but while I'm at school, what can I do? The only toy of HER'S that I've left with her unnattended is this large hard plastic bone. she can barely get a dent in it lol.

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 07:53 PM
I didn't read it wrong. I replied about chews. I was just elaborating a bit, to make a point.

Well since you quoted the post wolfsoul posted, which quoted mine, saying you agreed that it was an overstatment -- which is not what I mean how she read it.

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 07:53 PM
I've had Simba for years, ever since he was 8 months old. He'll be turning 6 this Christmas.

Even so, if the dog has seperation anxiety or anything of the sort, then they should be unsupervised so long so they get the chance to tear up furniture or anything else.

Well, that's nice in theory, but the reality is that a LOT of dogs aren't perfect. And a lot of people don't train their dogs perfectly.

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 07:55 PM
And a lot of people don't train their dogs perfectly.

Well then there's their problem.

I'm not saying Simba is perfect, or that i've trained him "perfectly" -- But, if it's done properly and the dog is worked with instead of being left home 24/7 then there shouldn't be a problem.

anyways -- Back to the topic.

I just wouldn't be able to leave my dogs alone with any sort of chew, no matter if it's named "indestructible" ...

Would you leave a child alone with toys it could possibly swallow or choke on?

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Well since you quoted the post wolfsoul posted, which quoted mine, saying you agreed that it was an overstatment -- which is not what I mean how she read it.

That sentence cracked me up, Kay. I know what you were trying to say, but read it again ... it's hilarious. It's like a "Who's on First" kind of thing. :D :D

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 07:58 PM
That sentence cracked me up, Kay. I know what you were trying to say, but read it again ... it's hilarious. It's like a "Who's on First" kind of thing. :D :D

Huh? :eek: :confused: :confused:

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 08:01 PM

Would you leave a child alone with toys it could possibly swallow or choke on?
No, but what I said was " I'm trying to find something that is hard enough that it can't be broken into pieces, and is large enough that my dog can't choke on it."

Shelteez2
11-09-2003, 08:03 PM

That depends on the dog as well. Some chew until they die. My co-worker's newf/lab/fill in the blank dog, Sidney, is 9 years old and has never gotten over the urge to chew. If not for leaving chews out with him her house would be destroyed.

I've had Emily since she was 12 weeks old, and she's never chewed anything inappropriately. I got Clipse when he was 7 months old, and aside from shredding some paper and chewing a hole in the wall once, he wasn't really destructive, and is completely trustworthy now.

Here's a pic of Sidney.
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/20031192628163546603841.jpg

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
No, but what I said was " I'm trying to find something that is hard enough that it can't be broken into pieces, and is large enough that my dog can't choke on it."

Still -- Like I said, some toys are labeled "indestructable" -- But i'd never leave them alone with it.

That's just me though.. If you want to take the chances of leaving them alone with one, go ahead. I wouldn't recommend leaving them alone with and sort of chews, because I wouldn't take the chances myself. So, I guess I'm not help here and that's my 2 cents, maybe a bit more.

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Well then there's their problem.

I'm not saying Simba is perfect, or that i've trained him "perfectly" -- But, if it's done properly and the dog is worked with instead of being left home 24/7 then there shouldn't be a problem.

Are you serious? Wow. That is very, very harsh. You think only dogs left alone "24/7" are going to get into mischief? Sorry, but I don't know ANYone with a perfect dog. I don't know ANYone with THE perfect training method for every dog. And whether it is "their problem" or not that their dog isn't "perfectly" trained - dogs are unpredictable, they are animals.

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 08:07 PM
That depends on the dog as well.

I got Clipse when he was 7 months old, and aside from shredding some paper and chewing a hole in the wall once, he wasn't really destructive, and is completely trustworthy now.

Here's a pic of Sidney.
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Nov/20031192628163546603841.jpg

Yup, It definatly depends on the dog and the training.
Just like you would tell a child to stop chewing on this or that, and correct them -- You'd do the same for a dog.

As for shredding paper -- Simba LOVES to shred paper, But he won't do it unless I give him permission to. :p

His favorites are paper bags. We leave paper bags on the floor all the time after shopping, until we put them away. Simba won't touch one of them, unless I say "OK, Simba GET IT!"

The picture doesn't show for me. :(

Kfamr
11-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Are you serious? Wow. That is very, very harsh. You think only dogs left alone "24/7" are going to get into mischief? Sorry, but I don't know ANYone with a perfect dog. I don't know ANYone with THE perfect training method for every dog. And whether it is "their problem" or not that their dog isn't "perfectly" trained - dogs are unpredictable, they are animals.

I saw nothing "harsh" about that?:confused: :confused:

Not necessarily 24/7, but for long periods of time, yeah they're more than likely to get into stuff. although, like mentioned -- there are those out of the world moments when n one can explain how or what period of time it happened it. Again, I don't want to take those chances.

I don't know anyone with the "perfect" dog, and I never said I did. Nor did I say I knew someone with the perfect training method either. that's why you spend time with your dog to figure out what works and what doesn't.

micki76
11-09-2003, 08:54 PM
I guess my dogs are weird, (well, I actually I know that) cause they only chew when we’re home with them. I leave Booda Velvets down for them all the time and the bones never move from morning until night. They usually start chewing after we’ve come home and had dinner and start to settle done for the evening. They NEVER chew when one of us isn’t home with them. Chester actually has to sit next to me on the couch, touching me while he chews. Yeah, we’re a little to close. :) Once we're settled, they get their choice of chewies other than Boodas.
I honestly don't know why I keep leaving them down for them every morning, knowing they won't be chewed. :rolleyes:

Boodas and Kongs are about the only things that I would trust if my kids would chew while alone. Boodas don't swell and they sort of crumble like kibble, except it takes a ton more force to eat them than kibble. And they're totally digestible.

wolf_Q
11-09-2003, 10:01 PM
When I leave Nebo I always give him a kong or his milkbone ball. There's a large milkbone and some of that kong stuff'n and sometimes I'll put other treats in there.

I've never had any sort of problem with any of the kong products. But, as others have said, it definitely depends on the dog. Nebo had barely put any dents in his...but Lady can rip chunks out of the red ones.

Those are the only toys or treats I will leave him alone with. I have a huge bin with several different types of rawhide that I give him on occasion. I never leave him with it unsupervised, and he's not the type of dog that swallows it whole. I also have booda bimples, nylabones, and the dental dino which he loves to chew on...just not alone. :)

Tonya
11-09-2003, 10:28 PM
I don't leave Teddy alone with chews, but I leave Dusty and Roxy with those rawhides from Costco.