PDA

View Full Version : does your cat hunt??

tikeyas_mom
11-09-2003, 03:49 PM
we have mice in our garage and yeah the first thing we did was send out fuzzy Our barn cat lol.. Our house would be totally infested with mice if it wer'nt for Fuzzy.

PayItForward
11-09-2003, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't encourage your cat to hunt, tikeyas_mom. (As if we could stop them ;) )

As cats which eat prey can pick up dieases from them esp worms.

We worm our inside/outside cats every 3 months, just in case although Milly is our only hunter.

As Milly allows our other cats to gnaw on her kills...yuck.

NoahsMommy
11-09-2003, 05:39 PM
While it is natural behavior, I agree with PIF....rats and mice can get your fuzzies pretty sick if you aren't careful.

The only "hunting" our cats do is when they stare out the window at the birds outside. :)

tikeyas_mom
11-09-2003, 06:14 PM
our cat is dewormed...

NoahsMommy
11-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
our cat is dewormed...
Cats can still get worms after they've been wormed if they are exposed...

Learned that one at work. :)

FurMomx6
11-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Opie hunts all the time. He doesn't eat what he kills, though. He brings them to us as 'presents'. Once, he even brought a big rat (it looked more like a kangaroo rat type thing) INSIDE our house. It was still alive but Opie had paralyzed it's back legs. My dad had to take it and put it out of it's missery(sp). Poor little(well big) rat.

tikeyas_mom
11-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by FurMomx6
Opie hunts all the time. He doesn't eat what he kills, though. He brings them to us as 'presents'. Once, he even brought a big rat (it looked more like a kangaroo rat type thing) INSIDE our house. It was still alive but Opie had paralyzed it's back legs. My dad had to take it and put it out of it's missery(sp). Poor little(well big) rat.

I know what you mean, After fuzzy kills the mice or birds he brings them home.

Tonya
11-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Raven is inside only, Ron is inside 90% of the time. Basically, when he escapes, I leave him out until he wants back in. I gave up on chasing him. Anyways, neither hunt. They're to lazy. lol. Ron doesn't even leave the front yard.

CatDad
11-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Mine our indoor only kitties and so don't hunt. Unless you include spiders, and other little bugs. Of course there is the dreaded catnip mice, that Joey saves us from.:D

shais_mom
11-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Like CatDad said, other than your average spider, fly, or Japanese beetle, Kylie's hunting consists crawling under the dresser or bed for a missed treat! ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Logan
11-10-2003, 07:35 AM
Mine hunt, a lot! And both of them are guilty of leaving them in the most conspicuous places, so we're bound to find them and give them their "atta boy/girl" because they are so proud! :)

11-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Yes, they do! Inside, they hunt for the furry mice ;) :) ! Maya once caught a real mouse in our garden....:( ; I did NOT like it, but it is her natural instinct!!

amoore
11-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Sunny did hunt untill he got his outdoor privileges taken away . He liked hunting for mice & rats , but he carried it too far by trying to hunt for texas rattlesnakes and got bite twice .
Loverboy is a big hunter since he lives outdoors all the time . He does not seem to want to bother with rattlesnakes .

sirrahbed
11-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Ours are strictly indoor but they sure do "pretend" to hunt! They hunt spiders, ants, etc, They also hunt birds out the windows and leap at moths. Mighty hunters!! We once had a mouse (real one!) in our enclosed patio and the cats were scared to death!!

sirrahved
11-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Even though my babies are strictly inside they find lots of things to hunt. They both go after any bugs in the house! One time Pickiepie even ate a butterfly (I can't imagine swallowing that)! Marsha is good at pointing out spiders. I'm greatful for this, because after an "incident" in the house I am once again paralyzed by my fear of spiders.

tikeyas_mom
11-10-2003, 10:31 AM
hahahahha !! fuzzy doesnt hunt spiders I wish he did though :(.. i hate spiders!! -eek-

catmandu
11-10-2003, 11:40 AM
michael , Nugget and the Princess are practiced Executioners and Hunters , as they had , one time , to hunt , in order to eat. They still do , especially the Princess , who had to hunt , to feed her kittens. she is good , and sad to say , can catch Birds and Squirrels!