PDA

View Full Version : Any Groomers here?

wolf_Q
11-09-2003, 01:47 AM
Have you ever worked at a grooming salon?

I know there's a few people here who have, just thought it'd be interesting to know who.

I've worked at Petco as a bather for over a year now. I know how to shave dogs also, but I prefer doing the bigger bath dogs such as goldens, huskies, etc. and we're not allowed to do groom dogs *and* bath and brush dogs, so I'm sticking with being a bather. :) I quite enjoy it...usually. ;)

tomkatzid
11-09-2003, 02:00 AM
When I was looking for a 2nd or different job I got hired at Petsmart as a bather. But it turned out I couldn't take it and do my other job too. But I would love it. I got hired at a private groomer too, but it was too far to drive, 63 miles 1 way.
I want a dog job:D
Katz

wolfsoul
11-09-2003, 02:08 AM
I'm not a groomer, it's something I've considered. You never know, I might just do it one day. I'm still going to go to that dog training college but if I feel it's something I don't want to do, I'd definatly apply at Petcetera as a bather. :)

jenluckenbach
11-09-2003, 07:35 AM
I do. Actually I am not a FULL groomer as I do not do scissor work, but I like it the way it is. Over the years (18 1/2) I have come from simply bathing, to learning everything short of scissor finishing.

For anyone who want to attempt the job, be prepared, it takes a H#!! of a whole lot more than a love for dogs to do it.

Pam
11-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Does grooming at home count? :D I have been grooming my dogs at home for about 30 years now (although obviously not the same dogs!) I agree with Jen. It is A LOT of work and I am sure it takes more than just a love of dogs to be successful at it. For one thing it takes a good strong body and a lot of patience as there is a lot of lifting and standing going on in a grooming session, not to mention the occasional fidgety dog (Bella would fall into this category at times! LOL!) I have sent Bella to the groomer's on occasion and do appreciate all of the hard work that goes into making her as pretty as she can be. I really do enjoy doing my dogs myself though as I feel it is another way to bond with them, although I enjoy a break now and then as I am not as young as I used to be! :)

Rachel
11-09-2003, 08:01 AM
Wow, Amy, has it been a year already? Do you think you would be interested in taking the training necessary to be a full fledged groomer? It would probably be a way you could increase your income and even if you go in an entirely different direction with your career, I would think it would be a skill that you could use if you wanted to work on a part-time basis or as a second job, maybe from out of your home.

micki76
11-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
For anyone who want to attempt the job, be prepared, it takes a H#!! of a whole lot more than a love for dogs to do it.

AMEN!

I groomed for several years and all it did was make me dislike many many dogs. I'm now back in my right frame of thinking, but there are still some breeds that I dislike. I just can't shake those old feelings for some of them.

binka_nugget
11-09-2003, 12:18 PM
No, but I'm planning on apply at Petsmart to be a bather. It's going to be hard work but I'm up for it. I find hard work better than sitting around doing nothing (like my two previous jobs :o).

luckies4me
11-09-2003, 02:44 PM
I used to work as a groomer at K9 Karousell in California. I first started bathing dogs at my first Vet Assistant Job about 7 years ago, then at my second job also did bathing and some shaving. I then when 19 got a job as a groomer. It was funny having all my friend bring their dogs in to be bathed/groomed. One in particular was Bandit, a Shi Tzu who lived down the street from us and belonged to my friend Joe. The dog was so close to our family that when we moved away we used to "borrow" him for a day. :o :p

Shelteez2
11-09-2003, 02:54 PM
I've been working at a groomer for over 2.5 years. Mostly I just bath and dry dogs, but I can if needed shave a dog or give it a haircut. I don't think I'll ever get interested in doing more scissor cuts, I'm happy doing what I do, for now :)

CatDad
11-09-2003, 03:05 PM
I have never done any grooming, except for helping freinds. That was really just bathing and drying them off.

After doing just the few that I have, I need to say that I really admire those of you who do it for a living. :) Not that I had a bad time, but I don't think that I could do it.

As Jen said:

I would take it to heart.

Twisterdog
11-09-2003, 05:16 PM
I have owned a grooming shop since 1995, and I know how to groom. I try not to have to do it very much, I leave it to my employees for the most part, but I will when I need to. I can do anything except hand-stripping terriers, which I've never learned. My favorite grooms are show cuts on poodles and hand scissoring.