PDA

View Full Version : Jealous of a CAT? Feeling *rejected*?

sirrahbed
11-08-2003, 05:36 PM
I put this whiny post up and then took it down but now I feel whiny again! Emily and Eliot are 10 months old and seem to be getting more and more aloof. Maybe because they have each other?? They ARE best buddies. Emily will let me pick her up and snuggle sometimes but she is DADDY'S GIRL. If it wasn't so cute I would barf! If he is anywhere near - she ignores me, won't let me touch her and turns her little butt at me. He walks in the room and she goes all silly and adoring. <barf> She HAS to sleep on daddy's chest. That is MY spot! So I move her over but she will wedge in between us. Eliot is another story. He likes to be *near* me - usually in the same room but if either of us go to pet him, he backs away like we are poison or runs away! Brat! Now once in a long while, IF it is HIS idea, he is Mr Loverboy and all over me with head butts and the full sweep treatment with nose kisses - rarely though. I figure it is because I just spent last weekend meeting my new grandkitties and both are SO friendly and especially Pickles, the orange male was so laid back and let me hold and cuddle him all I wanted and even snuggled in bed while I slept! If you have read my posts - you KNOW I adore male orangies and really want one! I come here and get my orange fix. This is silly...I have had LOTS of cats and I know cats are cats. Maybe it is a phase. Well I told them both that they better not be surprised if I don't come home from the catshow tomorrow with a big ole orange male of my own! (more than likely I will come home with a kitty condo and toys for these two little pampered brats!):D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pf1f6d2a37170eb064aa63869feace75a/faf6f652.jpg
We don't need Mommy - we have each other!!

Baby Leila
11-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Now once in a long while, IF it is HIS idea, he is Mr Loverboy and all over me with head butts and the full sweep treatment with nose kisses - rarely though.

Two out of fiveof my cats are the same way!

catcrazylady
11-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Ok Sirrahbed now is the time!!! Get that orange, orange and white male!!! I love and adore all my kitties but for the most part they are not lap kitties. Leroy org/wht is on me so much that I have to peel him off at times just to go to the restroom. When he is not on my lap he is usually in trouble! He keeps life interesting and lovable all at the same time. He looks a lot like your grandkitty! Go for it...Just do it...Now is the time!! It will make you happy and you could rescue a new wonderful kitty at the same time!!:) http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

kuhio98
11-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Boy, do I know that feeling. Halo will never come to any of us. She wants to be by herself. If you go to her and cuddle her, she'll purr her brains out, but doesn't want to be picked up or carried. She's never (14 months) jumped in our laps.

Cammie loves my husband and can always be found "attached" to him (hence her nickname Velcro Cat). But, she continues to act like I put lit cigarettes out on her on a regular basis. She hisses and spits if I even look at her.

So, my friend Sharon has recommended trying what she terms "An Affectionate Program". She has 4 kitties who are standoffish. They don't snuggle with each other, either. She has been deliberately (as hard as it is to do) ignoring Althea (her youngest) for the last few days. She gives her food and water of course and cleans out the cat box. But she doesn't pet her, cuddle her, brush her, talk to her, etc. WELL, WELL, WELL, guess who jumped in mommy's lap for the first time in months? Yep, Miss Althea couldn't stand it any longer and actually sought out Sharon for some pet'n'loves this morning.

I think I'll try this with my kitties. I have high hopes for Halo, but Cammie will probably not even notice. She has HER daddy, and that's all she needs.

jenluckenbach
11-08-2003, 06:50 PM
She HAS to sleep on daddy's chest
this is Amber to a "TEE". :D I'd have her replaced in a heartbeat ;) if it weren't for Charlie.:D

I know cats are cats
this may be the single most convincing reason that I am now at 14 cats. :D SOMEONE will be in the mood for loving !!!!!! :D And yet here I sit, empty lapped. :( (probably because they just had dinner and no longer NEED me.....hee hee)

Now, as for that orange male, I have just 3 words:
GO FOR IT

Baby Leila
11-08-2003, 09:13 PM
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DODO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! IT! DDO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!O ITDO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DODO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

GET THAT CAT!

CatDad
11-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
GO FOR IT

Originally posted by Baby Leila
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT! DODO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! IT! DDO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!O ITDO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!!DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!DO IT!

I feel like all of you are trying to tell here to get the cat, not sure what it is. Just a feeling.:rolleyes:

I feel for you, there is nothing like being ignored by a cat that is loving on someone else.

We went through the same thing at our house. When Bob first came home, he was a daddies boy(you can hate me now:o). He would come and snuggle and love on me, but would not give the girlfriend that time of day. He was not mean to her and she could pet him, but he did not seek her out.

However, this story has a happy ending. Bob came around and started loving on her. In fact he has spent the last several hours cuddled up to her while they take a nap.

So the moral of this story, they may come around. It took Bob about a year or so before that happened.

However, you could go with that feeling I had about the previous posts and get another kitty.:D

You know I still don't know why I had the feeling, still do though, strange.;)

Originally posted by catcrazylady
Ok Sirrahbed now is the time!!! Get that orange, orange and white male!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-09-2003, 03:19 AM
As Jen so rightly pointed out, the more cats you have, the greater the chance that ONE of them will be in the mood for a snuggle!

Kirsten
11-09-2003, 05:04 AM
I can understand your feelings so well!! The older Luna gets, the more she's getting aloof and leaves mommy missing the hours of cuddling and snuggling we had together.

Now there's baby Lily, but she prefers to cuddle with Luna, and they're really close.

To make a long story short - Jen made a very good point - go and get the orangie! :)

Kirsten

IttyBittyKitty
11-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Or that I'd done something wrong...

Pixel had never been the most affectionate cat in the world, but she often jumped on laps or on the bed at our feet. Since even before we got Randi, she became more "aloof," but that is one of those things that happen. I just make sure that that I give her as many cuddles as she'll let me. And yes, her and Randi are bestest buddies now.

Randi is a different story entirely ... he is the MOST AFFECTIONATE CAT I'VE EVER OWNED AND BELIEVE ME I'VE HAD HEAPS OF THEM! Every night, without fail, he is cuddled up to me or Scott. And I mean right up there, he has to get as close as he possibly can, he even puts his little face under my chin or under my armpits. He's my little snuggle bug and getting more affectionate as time goes on ... I have a feeling that this little fella won't grow out of it ... well I sure do hope so!!!!

momofcats
11-09-2003, 09:13 AM
My little tux goes through these as phases.

She spent the first year as my husband's shadow. Barely acknowledge my presence. Hurt my feelings...I picked her out as a little baby of four weeks old....brought her into the house and got ignored.

Then....six months I was queen mommy and my husband was the evil monster. He tried to hold her and she screamed at him as though he just took a match to her.

Lately she is going back to being my husband's baby and I am the toy fetcher.
:rolleyes:

Soledad
11-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Do you know what the solution is? Get a third one... :)

slick
11-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Soledad
Do you know what the solution is? Get a third one... :)
***swinging the watch back and forth***

Watch the watch and say "I'm going to get another cat" "I'm going to get another cat" :D :D

sirrahved
11-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Mom, we still love you, and if you don't want another cat, you can always come visit.

Prairie Purrs
11-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Kinda reminds me of a friend of mine who has two cats who are madly in love with each other and pretty much ignore her. She wanted a lap kitty, and I had some youngsters I was trying to rehome, so one day she came over to see whether any of the kittens warmed up to her.

Well, Riley jumped into her lap almost as soon as she sat down, and he stayed there, purring happily, until she was ready to leave. Talk about auditioning for a part! :D Needless to say, she adopted Riley, and he's still her "Velcro" kitty two years later.

It's like the Zen saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." Only in your case, it'll be "When the cat lover is ready, the orangie appears." ;)

sirrahbed
11-09-2003, 02:48 PM
:D Thanks Devon!! I asked dad earlier - "when are we going back to visit Pickles?" - just half joking but I DID ask :D Have you seen his twin Leroy?
Here is Leroy:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid82/pe2b2afa5a0fb7909bc1e5f3513b913bb/fae909d4.jpg

and Pickles:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p85d0593807ee8b85fa8beb6bcd0cf7a1/fa9a45fb.jpg
Twins eh??

sirrahbed
11-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by CatsinDenver
Kinda reminds me of a friend of mine who has two cats who are madly in love with each other and pretty much ignore her. She wanted a lap kitty, and I had some youngsters I was trying to rehome, so one day she came over to see whether any of the kittens warmed up to her.

Well, Riley jumped into her lap almost as soon as she sat down, and he stayed there, purring happily, until she was ready to leave. Talk about auditioning for a part! :D Needless to say, she adopted Riley, and he's still her "Velcro" kitty two years later.

It's like the Zen saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." Only in your case, it'll be "When the cat lover is ready, the orangie appears." ;)

Well, I am ready to be found :) We looked at shelter cats today but not an orange to be found. There was one buff male but he was not at all friendly. I will wait...I really do want another cat anyway - will be patient. We were at a catshow today and I got to hold some lovely Ragdolls - what sweeties! - but could never put out $$$ for an animal when so many are homeless and need me. Besides, Ragdolls don't come in orange :D

NoahsMommy
11-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Orange....the BEST color in cats!!!! I love my orangie, Noah, so much that he's the only one I'll have at a time. He's my special boy. :D

I'm so glad you're going to get one too! :)